Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

prams - havent a notion

• 20-08-2013 6:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

me wife is having our first baby in 3 months from now.
    to be honest, I haven't a notion when it comes to prams and stuff.

what are the main brands of prams ?
    what are prices like ?
    are all prams generally the same or do some have special parts that others dont ?
    is it cheaper to buy them online ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Make a list of requirements .
    Eg
    Folds small,
    Light ,
    Rough terrain ,
    Shopping basket .

Kiddicare.com is brilliant as is Amazon .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don't spend a fortune. Anyone I know who spent loads on a Quinny etc ended up ditching it for a cheaper one.

Spending money loads on a buggy/ travel system is only done by first time parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Go to a place where you can push them around with a bit of space. Try folding and unfolding them. See if you can fit them in your car. We got ours in Tony Kealys. We got a buggy that goes flat for newborns and a seperate carseat. (Out and about nipper 360). Still happy with it, she loved it from the start, and still use it daily 2 1/2 years later.

The travel system thing with loads of attachments I never really got, they grow out of the bits so fast and the parts are quite bulky. only makes sense if you have a huge storage space like a garage or big floored attic I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I am on my first baby, due January 14 and we just purchased a travel system.

I didnt want to spend a fortune on this! Even tho I would love a bugaboo or iCandy, I just couldnt justify spending over €1,000 on something that you will not get a whole lot of use out of.

We went for the Baby Elegance islide, that comes with a pram, that turns into a push chair and has a car seat that can also attach to the pram part if you were just popping into the shop, this all came to €450 euro with rain cover and foot muff, and I have to say I love it.

So easy to fold down, easy to move, decent size pram that protects against the elements and a nice size basket under it too, plus its Irish made!

Ive heard great things about them too, lots of good reviews for all the ranges out there!

Sure I could have easily gone out and got one of the more "top of the range" ones, but why would you spend that much when you will only use the pram part for max 5 months and the car seat will only do the baby until they are approx 9 months (depending on the size of baby) and the push chair while it does do up to 2 and a half to 3 years Ive heard most will ditch this for a lighter one. Id much rather have the extra money to spend on other things for the baby.....buts thats just my opinion, hope you get something you are happy with!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Thanks for all the helpful replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Just on the flip side - we did spend a fortune on baby jogger city select for first baby - worth every cent ( and we skint) - it converts to double and as we hoped to have a second baby soon we went for it. I used it as a single and then I since had my second girl when the eldest was 15 months and I'd be lost without this buggy! Pram will have had total 10 months use, 2 seats (one of which is made from the pram) will be used til they're out if buggy and car seat was used til first daughter was 1 and is in use now for second! It's a great system - totally interchangeable and I'd give alot more up before I'd have to give it up! Then when we finish having babies - they actually have quite a good resale value so actually is working out fantastically for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

The best thing you can do is write down a list of requirements and get out and test as many systems as you can! I highly recommend tony kealys, they know their stuff and have been around for years. Buggys are personal things and people are very opinionated when it comes to them, however unless someone has used one system or another their advice is just that, an opinion.

Bugaboos seem to get a bad wrap from some due to their price. I have the cameleon and it is worths it's weight in gold, I absolutely love it. I walk about 9 miles a day and it ticks every single one of my boxes. We often go up to the hell fire club and it makes light work of the path up. Every newborn needs a carseat, we got the besafe izi go with our package and the car base was included. Newborns need to lie flat for the first couple of months, the bassinet folds flat and the seat then fits into the existing frame so you're not left with a bulky carrycot you need to store like other systems.

Anyway my intention wasn't to come on and sell the bugaboo (it will do that for itself ;) but just to say not to discount any buggy but going to see them (obviously unless budget is a major factor. My husband was skeptical of the cameleon in the beginning because of the price, he is in the happy wife happy life camp so went with it, and given i was going to be using it day in day out it was mainly my decision but he is completely sold on it now. He's it's biggest fan!

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Why not do some research on the best types, and then try get it second hand? I'm due in a month and got a second hand Quinny Buzz from someone at work who was selling it - it's a few years old but in perfect condition and I'm delighted with it! Try adverts.ie or donedeal.

Baby Elegance Beep Twist is supposed to be great also and doesn't cost a fortune even buying brand new.

Advertisement