Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roast duck

Options
  • 20-08-2013 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I just bought a 2kg whole duck. Any tips on roasting it? I will be just roasting it then chopping / shredding it for noodles, curries etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I find that a long slower roast is more suitable for duck.

A duck has lots of fat that will render off during the roasting. After 45 minutes, your duck will be swimming in a sea of fat.
    If you have a roasting dish with a rack, it is very suitable for duck so the fat falls under the duck. . Alternatively be prepared to drain off the fat at least once and probably twice during the cooking. Use a roasting tray that is larger than the duck to make this easier.

Filling the cavity with flavourings is nice - celery, garlic, star anise, chilli, lemon grass are some good suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,444 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

A rack is a good idea but a much easier solution is to chop some root veg roughly and sit the bird on top. The juices and fat will flavour the veg and you're laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Prick the skin, and rub it with salt to get it crispy.
    I roast ours with the head end up so the cavity can drain and use a roasting grill on an angle in the roasting tin.
    Remember to drain it during cooking.
    Keep the fat for roast potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

I always boil the bird for about 30 mins before roasting it.

Prick the skin first and the water will let some of the fat out leaving you with a lovely stock to use for gravy.

Take it out then roast it with a bit of salt on the skin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Thanks all! I roasted it as per instruction I saw on the net , water inside, cut skin etc and to be honest it wasn't great. It sis tasty but the whole layer of fat melted off. I like a thin layer of fat, (a la duck from a chinese restaurant!) So was a little disappointed with that, and also with the fact there is so little meat on it.

I have a bowl bigger than a cereal bowl of fat so I'm roasting potatoes tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

I bought a roast duck for first time as an alternative to chicken for Sunday lunch so was looking for a few tips on how to cook it and with what.

I assume it's similar to chicken and you weigh it and time it ? I was also wondering what to stuff it with to add flavour or is this advisable? I know orange sauce is normally what is served with duck but was looking for alternatives as I wouldn't be the biggest fan of it adore duck just not an overly sweet sauce.

I am so used to doing chicken, stuffing, roasties and gravy on a Sunday I felt the need for a change but am now a bit daunted with my first duck !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

tHB

Oops sorry Hill Billy slap on the wrist to me for not searching first.

Some great tips and advice on cooking and stuffing it so hopefully I will have success but still looking a nice sauce idea if any of ye have any?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

This is the recipe I've been using for about 10 years or so.

http://www.west175productions.com/gfseason3/recipes/recipe004.htm

I find the oven temperature he suggests too high, and I start at around 140°C and reduce it, bit by bit, to around 120° C after about 3 1/2 hours.

You end up with a sticky, honey tasting sauce. Most of the fat is gone, the meat is similar to confit duck, and the skin is to die for.

It's been Christmas dinner for the last couple of years.

Nompere that sounds delicious and Confit duck is one of my absolute favourites. I will definitely try that recipe on Sunday

Thanks so much

• Advertisement

I'm doing it tomorrow - herself bought a duck yesterday.

I love frying some onions in a bit of the duck fat - there's usually some honey residue in the tipped-off fat - and that helps the onions. And a heap of mash!

Every duck is different, and some lose the fat faster than others. It's not a precise recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Nigel Slater did a fab easy recipe for Duck with Citrus salad on tv the other evening. Looked really easy and no need for a load of ingredients, it was duck, orange segments and pea shoots in a salad. might try this week

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Both Lidl and Aldi have 2kg ducks this weekend for €8, I think I'll be trying one of the recipes above for tomorrow's lunch:)

I tried Nompere's recipe and it was delicious would definitely recommend. I saw that offer in Lidl must get in and grab one

Emcm wrote: »
    I tried Nompere's recipe and it was delicious would definitely recommend. I saw that offer in Lidl must get in and grab one

I wish it was mine! It's actually Gary Rhodes' recipe.

nompere wrote: »
    I wish it was mine! It's actually Gary Rhodes' recipe.

Well you directed me to it so still giving you a lot of the credit :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well I tried the Nompere-Rhodes recipe yesterday and it was delish. The only thing I did different was rub a bit of Chinese five spice into the skin along with the salt. I gave it a good dousing before covering in honey.
    Duck is a really delicious meat, this was the first time I've cooked it but will definitely be doing so again very soon.

Advertisement