Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this tree?

• 20-08-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi, just moved into new house and there is a sick looking tree in garden. I don't know what it is and how to go about fixing it.. It looks healthy at bottom and gradually gets worse where it is brown at the top. Advice please thanks :
    Also could you recommend some nice potted plants for patio for autumn/ winter? I have some cyclamen.. Thanks :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

rhododendron but I can't say which type. It's probably suffering from drought.

These non-native shrubs have caused huge problems in certain parts of the country, notably Killarney, where they just took over.

Certain kinds can be a doubly and triply problematic exuding a yucky, sticky sap that gets everywhere.

I am not an expert and I am not a fan of those shrubs. Can be pretty when in flower, but some are deadly nuisances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

mathepac wrote: »
    rhododendron but I can't say which type.

I think you have 3 plants there .... a Rhododendron, with possible leaf disease (Spots)

A Photinia stranvaesia davidiana palette white/pink leaf

and the tree sorry can't make out yet what it is. but I suspect it has root damage/ maybe stem.

Or is your "tree" the Photinia which can be a large shrub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

I think you have it there, just looked up images of a Photonia and it looks a lot like it.
    I went out and looked after you suggest it might be a few different trees and I dont think it is. How do you think I could fix it? Maybe cut all dead looking branches? or Should I just get rid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

What you have is the variegated form of Photinia, not quite as vigorous as regular Photinia but vigorous nonetheless. Looks to be suffering from drought and/or undernourished but this is easily rectified with regular TLC.

A beautiful but sprawling shrub, if you have the space, and a sheltered spot, why not?

Give it some tomatoe feed, trim dead branches and water regularly, and it'll be as good as new within 6 months.

Advertisement