Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question

Options
  • 20-08-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,
    quick question for you. Can I make cider in a gallon water bottle like the ones from Lidl and Aldi?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leesaunders

Great thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

you will need to plan for gas expansion - letting the gas out while it is fermenting, but still providing an appropriate barrier to airborne microflora.

In the past I have used party balloons, or doctored the cap with a straw, to make a crude airlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

You can, and if you keep the lid fairly tight, but no completely tight, the cider will come out carbonated, aka fizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭stenan

sharingan wrote: »
    you will need to plan for gas expansion - letting the gas out while it is fermenting, but still providing an appropriate barrier to airborne microflora.

In the past I have used party balloons, or doctored the cap with a straw, to make a crude airlock.

How do you use the balloons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

stenan wrote: »
    How do you use the balloons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIDFfBIBwqA

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭stenan

Sorry another question. I'm going to use a 5 liter water bottle and cloudy apple juice from aldi. So I'm going to boil small handful of raisins and 3 tea bags together. Add this, yeast and the apple juice into the bottle. Can you add to much yeast?? And where is the best place to buy the yeast.thehomebrewcompany charge 5 euro for delivery?

Then close it up with some type of airlock. Leave for a 1 or 2 weeks?

Right can I add the sugar, sweeteners and extra juice into the same container after the week or do I need to siphon it off into something else for some reason?

Then bottle and leave for another week.

Right how does that sound. Is that all right? Thanks for any help

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

stenan wrote: »
    how does that sound.
    A lot like this ;) Answered in the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leesaunders

The balloon is working a treat, thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Make sure your cider ueast doesn't have sweetener in it, I made a5l brew once with yeast sweetened for 5gallons....

Also take it handy on the tea for small brews.

• Advertisement
Advertisement