Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access guru's - Large number of fields in one table or 2 smaller tables?

Options
  • 20-08-2013 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

This is really a simple design question but I can't make mind up what is the right thing to do?

I've currently got an Access 2013 db (also runs in 2010) that has a main table with about 30 fields, I now need to add another 40 fields so I'll end up with a table with 70 fields. There is no obvious normalization I can do as the table does stand up on its own with the 70 fields for each record, but should I create a new table for the new fields and link it to the main table with a one to one relationship or just bang it all into one table

It just seems that a table with so many fields is wrong but then a one to one relationship isn't very normal or is it?

The 40 new fields are just a list of yes/no fields each with a comment that follow a work process. The first 30 records are the main info of a job with a summary and the new 40 fields are to further document the process. That sound very formal when in fact the 40 fields are more a reminder of what needs doing.

This is a on going project and I want to keep my options open so it seems to make sense to have the new 40 fields in their own table if only for the reason that some of the process may change over time and the original 30 fields will probably not be changed?

OR have I just missed something that's really obvious :o

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

You might be better moving this into the Development Forum.

Why are there being 40 new fields being added? Are you using the db to capture data or is it just a means of displaying a checklist for job numbers or what?

Do all 40 fields for each job need to be ticked yes? Are all the fields mandatory? having to check 70 boxes seems like an incredibly inefficient process. Particularly if it's just making sure someone is doing their job.

Advertisement