Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hi,help please.

Options
  • 20-08-2013 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

just wondering.
    im in balbriggan.
    i was hammering something at 8,15 last night.
    then my neighbour came and told me was toooo late..
    i wondering what time (if theres a law to it),should we keep our noise down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

JOJOGINS wrote: »
    just wondering.
    im in balbriggan.

Rather than looking for a regulation, or Law, perhaps it just a matter of consideration for your neighbours

If they have small children, perhaps it's bed-time for the little ones.
    If they work odd hours, or shift-work, perhaps they are catching some sleep themselves, or if it's just the end of a long day, an hour or so in front of the TV, a meal, or just time to relax is all they seek.

Have a chat with the neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

just wondering.
    im in balbriggan.

Common sense should prevail. How would you feel if the circumstances were switched?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

just wondering.
    im in balbriggan.

To answer your question, I believe the whole "noise pollution" thing comes into effect from 11 PM until 7(I think), maybe it starts at 10, but it is one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Karlitto wrote: »
    To answer your question, I believe the whole "noise pollution" thing comes into effect from 11 PM until 7(I think), maybe it starts at 10, but it is one or the other.

Well actually, Section 108 of the EPA Act 1992, states
    ) Where any noise which is so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to a person in any premises in the neighbourhood or to a person lawfully using any public place, a local authority, the Agency or any such person may complain to the District Court and the Court may order the person or body making, causing or responsible for the noise to take the measures necessary to reduce the noise to a specified level or to take specified measures for the prevention or limitation of the noise and the person or body concerned shall comply with such order.

No specific times are mentioned,

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BalbrigganGirl

What so you can't do a little DIY at 8pm now ?
    If it's a once off then what's the big deal?

I don't get home til 7 most evenings - I hardly think 8 ish is too late to do some housework - considering most the kids on my road are out screaming under my kitchen window til gone 9pm every night and from 8am every morning at the weekends when I am trying to rest.

That's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Then I stand corrected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

just wondering.
    im in balbriggan.

It all really depends on how long you were hammering for and were you hammering a shared wall. 8.15 isn't late, but if you have worked all day and are ready to relax, or have kiddies to go to bed, if someone started hammering at 8.15 and it goes on for an hour it can get very very aggrivating. Or if they are hammering into a wall right beside your living room or bedroom wall it would be quite annoying. If it was for 10 or 15 mins, then possibly your neighbour is being a bit OTT. But as I say, if they have a child they are trying to get to sleep it's probably understandable.

What so you can't do a little DIY at 8pm now ?
    If it's a once off then what's the big deal?

I don't get home til 7 most evenings - I hardly think 8 ish is too late to do some housework - considering most the kids on my road are out screaming under my kitchen window til gone 9pm every night and from 8am every morning at the weekends when I am trying to rest.

That's life.

As I said, it depends on what you are doing and for how long and what your neighbours circumstances are. Our neighbours have a little boy of 2 years old. We have been doing a lot around the house over the last few weeks and I just gave my neighbours a heads up beforehand and told them that if the little chap is down for a nap or whatever just let us know and we'll take a break. Its just basic consideration for others. 8 o'clock isn't late in general, but it is if you have young kids or are working shifts or start work very early in the mornings then in relative terms 8 o'clock is late.

As for kids screaming outside - just because their parents are inconsiderate and don't tell them to behave, doesn't mean you have to be inconsiderate also. I usually find a quick roar at them to keep it down or telling them to head up the road (its only about 100m) to the green area will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BalbrigganGirl

I'm not inconsiderate to my neighbours - never am.
    Always advise in advance of any work being done around the house.
    I just find it a tad irritating that it's ok for children to be let run riot to make noise and it's all cool but if little Johnney needs a nap and I'm hoovering / putting up a fence etc then I'm meant to keep it schtum !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Oh I'm with you totally. Generally most of the kids around my way are grand, but there are a few of those 'squealers' too. You know the ones that don't make normal human child noises, but make that high pitched squeal that grates on your very last nerve? I don't know how their parents put up with them - probably explains why they are out on the street so much! It's usually these parents who can't hear the noise of their own kids but as you say complain about any bit of disruption. I don't include those people in the group to whom consideration should be given ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I generally adopt the rule that after 9am is fair game and after 9pm isn't. I think it's fair game between those hours personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

just wondering.
    im in balbriggan.

If you were not at it all day then go ahead and do your job. Do you work all day? Are your neighbours working all day? Do they have a baby? If they are on nights they should be up at that time anyway. During the bright evenings lots of people are working late to get jobs done so I would say tough luck on the neighbour.

If I am out working all day and can only do a bit of D.I.Y after tea then thats when I will do it. It can be a bit of a pain but so long as its not every night then I would get my work done but stop at a reasonable hour 9.30-10. Last year I done nights for 2 weeks. 1 of the same weeks road works were taking place and some days it was very noisy but the work had to be done. Tough luck on me.

I would say however if your using a noisy power tool it would be annoying especially if they were watching Currynation Street;)

Advertisement