Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best setup?

• 20-08-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,576 ✭✭✭✭

So im going to redo my setup at home. I currently have the main socket setup as a dummy and the cable in it extended using telephone cabling to a 2nd socket ( I hope that makes sense)

I would love to use the main socket but its to far away from my computer room hence needing to extend it from the main socket

Im wondering is there anyway around this? Should I use better cabling for extending the main socket or what else?

You see im having trouble with my broadband for some time now and I want to eliminate problems and im starting with this one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you have any other extensions?

If you run CAT5e/6 and just use a pair off that that'd be fine and would allow for fibre in future. If there are other extensions put in a "tech install" point at the MDP and filter all sockets bar the one for the modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,576 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ED E wrote: »
    Do you have any other extensions?

If you run CAT5e/6 and just use a pair off that that'd be fine and would allow for fibre in future. If there are other extensions put in a "tech install" point at the MDP and filter all sockets bar the one for the modem.

No other extensions so the best bet is
    "If you run CAT5e/6 and just use a pair off that that'd be fine and would allow for fibre in future" so I presume that is getting CAT5e/6 and joining it to the main socket wiring and running the CAT5e from the main socket wiring to the modem? Could I run it to the 2nd socket near the modem?

What you probably currently have is this:

Pole----MDP(Main Socket)~~~~~~~Extension point--Modem.

Those tildes represent crappy phone cabling in many homes, especially older ones. You want to replace that with good cabling. With the price of 5e it may as well be that so if you need it later its in place and would just require a new face plate.

This is all best practice, but if the issue is being caused by shoddy old lines on the street it'll do very little to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,576 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I forgot that I need a telephone sorted too

Would a filter cause any harm?

Headshot wrote: »
    I forgot that I need a telephone sorted too

Would a filter cause any harm?

Nope, there's no degradation from them unless they're failing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement