Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

924 question from a long time lurker.

Options
  • 20-08-2013 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm a long time lurker on Classic Cars very keen to buy a 924 and have some quick questions if any of you can help me out that would be great.

I'm just looking for a weekend bit of fun, not a daily driver or a Rally motor, and I'm old enough to get classic insurance on a second car :-)
    1. If you find the hot start issue in your 924 is the under dash button injector solution the best thing to do?
    2. I see an automatic for sale, learned on an auto back in Canada but wonder will this be much slower accelerating because you can't stay in lower gear to find the higher power output nearer the red? For regular road use would it still pull nicely?
    3. Do you know of any for sale?
    I did search in the for sale area but asking proactively in case there is someone with one or more and have been considering selling one!!
    I don't want a major fixer upper rusty ol' project car. Just a bit of fun, I'm looking for a 2.0 rather than an 'S', or an 82/83 944.

I've searched the forum for answers :cool:, and have brought a mechanic with me to look at the last one I ended up not buying(bad bubbling, fuel lines and tank not in great shape at all, all the way up north.). I know some people don't think its a real Porsche etc. and that classic cars require maintenance and I still want one. Have insurance quote & space!
    Thanks for you time guys, great forum! I recently rebuilt a small scooter engine and am hoping to get handy with a bigger motor maintenance with the help of a mechanic friend. Some of you seem to be so knowledgeable so I'm trying to see it as big metal Lego and see how far that gets me.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think a 924 is the best, most fun practical classic you can get for under 4k - and a top one for that. But I'm biased as I've had one for 4 years!

Regarding the hot start issue (which is really a warm start issue, as its only if you leave the car sitting for 10-15 mins that can be a problem); rather than go the route of replacing various parts and still having problems, I fitted the switch. I read a lot about it and conflicting opinions, and saw people frustrated having spent a lot of cash on parts without fixing the problem. But who knows, you might find a sorted one!

Regarding an auto, I'd foremost consider whether you were happy without a manual shift just for driving pleasure. While the 924 manual box takes a little warming up, it makes for a fun drive. In terms of speed, well, maybe the less said the better. A 2.0 NA 924 will likely be beaten off the lights by a standard ten year old Golf. That said, they feel fast, because they drive like a go-kart, but they're not. :)

I don't know of any for sale, sorry. I'd definitely check out the UK and maybe consider a road trip to pick one up. Pre-1980 would be ideal as you wouldn't need an NCT (just an honest mechanic to keep it safe). Obviously a late 1983 or younger will only be €200 VRT.

Either way I would not buy one without either an MOT if in the UK, or more importantly - a valid NCT if Irish and post-1979. That's the one way you'll know the car is not a secret basket case. If it doesn't have an NCT, the chances are the seller knows why not and it may be the real reason for selling.

Best of luck and post any possibles up here for examination. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I sold a good one a few weeks ago. They are great little cars, and for the money nothing comes close IMHO. There is a decent looking one on Donedeal now, but it is auto... Might be OK with you, but personally I wouldn't be interested in an auto.

Hot start isn't a big deal really, mine had it, but it would only affect me when parked from between 1/2 hour up to about 2 1/2 hours, so I just lived with it (you can just crank it until it fires).

UK prices, with import costs added, seem to match local prices, so check the 924 club forum for more options.

This is the one on DD - http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vintage-porsche-924/5524193

Which reminds me - unless the mileage can be verified, assume it's showing 100k miles short as the clock has only 5 digits. Old MOTs may also have the 5 digit mileage recorded but that doesn't verify the mileage, only what was displayed on the odometer at the time.

Oh, and I would go for an '81 on, as the bodies are fully galvinised whereas the earlier cars were only treated the bottom half.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dcollins

Hi Guys cheers for the replies!!

http://www.adverts.ie/vintage-classic/vintage-porsche-924/3620692 is an automatic, but as you can see in my comment i'm pretty damn sure that thing needs an NCT(in the time it took me to type this I think Mr. Loggins posted the self same one- fast!). http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1978-porsche-924/5408943 is the other one, with the older dogleg gearbox. body kit and no cracked dash because of the custom redo on the interior but I don't know how i feel about that air inlet on the bonnet....
    I went up north looking but id be wary of travelling over to england and getting a local mechanic to look at one for me. but yeah thats very true on a <late83 the vrt would be cheap as chips. The hunt goes on, I've wanted one of these for bloody years. Thanks for the advice and if anything else springs to mind let me know.

Cheers,
    Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

slightly off topic,,
    could anyone point me in the direction of the guy in wexford who had three 924s for sale, i am only interested in the non runner in his field, its reg was iy 924. its maybe 12 to 18 months ago
    thanks Rugbyman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

dcollins wrote: »
    as you can see in my comment i'm pretty damn sure that thing needs an NCT

You're right. It does need an NCT. Only cars registered on 31/12/1979 or earlier do not need one

The seller is probably telling the truth too though, other people here have reported that their cars were "deactivated" when switching to vintage tax

Would you get away with not NCTing it? Probably. I'd rather have a compliant car myself though

Note that even if a car is deactivated or indeed is '79 or older, you can still have it NCTd voluntarily

Make sure you report back here though with any updates. We love threads like this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bit of a let-down, OP!

Only three questions.

:P

Which reminds me - unless the mileage can be verified, assume it's showing 100k miles short as the clock has only 5 digits. Old MOTs may also have the 5 digit mileage recorded but that doesn't verify the mileage, only what was displayed on the odometer at the time.
    The state of the interior is often a good indicator of whether the odometer has been around once already. Less so if the seats aren't original. My own has circa 78k on the clock but the seats reflect that, so I'm confident it's genuine (backup up by MOTs).
    Oh, and I would go for an '81 on, as the bodies are fully galvinised whereas the earlier cars were only treated the bottom half.
    Good point.

That auto seems a good car, and the seller seems genuine. Tricky one regarding the NCT. Really the people who need to make a call on that are the insurance company. If I owned it, I'd be getting it in writing from them whether they don't require it to be NCT'd, and maybe just an annual engineers report instead.

That red 924 looks hideous, sorry! Bad on the outside and worse on the inside. Probably worse again underneath.

rugbyman wrote: »
    slightly off topic,,
    could anyone point me in the direction of the guy in wexford who had three 924s for sale, i am only interested in the non runner in his field, its reg was iy 924. its maybe 12 to 18 months ago
    thanks Rugbyman

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=185536 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

• Advertisement

kasper wrote: »

That's the one the OP is looking at :p

Thanks for all the input everyone I should have asked these ages ago, I'll keep you posted on what I go look at!

I learned to drive on an auto in Canada but am wondering is it very strange to have an auto in something that's intended to be a bit sporty (not compared to modern big bores but compared to my almera :-) )- will an auto feel sluggish compared to being able to drop a gear and get the higher torque?

Almost all the ones I've seen seem to have cracked dashes and I guess its something I'll live with but has anyone had any joy with covers or custom work or even hearing of one in great nick going for parts?

Cheers guys,
    Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

I didn't have those 3 Kenny , but as far as i know they are sold ,but i do have an original Dublin reg 78 924 i'm busy doing at the moment.
    Incidently i was looking at the auto in question last night and to be frank it's a tidy car ,runs very well ,needs a small bit of tidying on the badge panel,thats all i could fault it on.
    as for the NCT issue ,he has it in writing that it's exempt.

Yeah, it seems odd to have a 'sporty' car with an auto box IMHO. I'm sure if you stamp on the throttle it'll drop a gear though... (I have only ever owned one auto)

It's the engine braking I'd miss.

salysol wrote: »
    I didn't have those 3 Kenny , but as far as i know they are sold ,but i do have an original Dublin reg 78 924 i'm busy doing at the moment.
    Incidently i was looking at the auto in question last night and to be frank it's a tidy car ,runs very well ,needs a small bit of tidying on the badge panel,thats all i could fault it on.
    as for the NCT issue ,he has it in writing that it's exempt.

Oops, sorry. Though it was you.

Almost all the ones I've seen seem to have cracked dashes and I guess its something I'll live with but has anyone had any joy with covers or custom work or even hearing of one in great nick going for parts?
    Only heard of one guy claiming he had a dash that wasn't cracked. The car had other big problems, though! I'd not worry about that and look for one with tidy seats and sound in body and engine. :)
    Yeah, it seems odd to have a 'sporty' car with an auto box IMHO. I'm sure if you stamp on the throttle it'll drop a gear though... (I have only ever owned one auto)
    Yeah, the 924 auto has kickdown. My old SL was an auto with kickdown was and still plenty of fun. Had loads more power, though.

The thing is, if you always had you mind set on a manual, I'd keep looking. If it's not a dealbreaker, by all means test drive one.

---

In other news - my 924 passed it's NCT (retest) this morning - with no advisories I might add! Good till Oct 2014 now. :)

am wondering is it very strange to have an auto in something that's intended to be a bit sporty

Not strange at all!

The vast majority of Porsche 928 were autos and that was in the 70s and 80s. Most 911 are auto now

Ferrari no longer make any manual cars...

Just got a call- the auto is already gone :-( the search goes on.

There was an 81' 5 speed in black with twin weber carbs on here a while ago, they guy is asking 3450 with no nct, and a broken window motor. That sounds a bit (lot?) high compared to some other ones that have come up needing work - what do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

The 924 is by far the best sport car from that era that you can buy these days.
    Ok I am a little biais I have 6. ;-)

I have an auto, on the road at the minute, there is kick down and when you go for it, oh you can feel it.
    I really like the auto for the cruising it is very nice to drive.

For the hot start issue, the best thing to do is to get a fuel pressure test and take it from there.
    The fuel pressure test system can be made for 20 euro.
    The change of the accumulator been are high about 190 euro.

The problem of the switch under the dash which is probably controlling the cvs is that you could if you stay on the long flood the engine, so there will be no starting at all.

My advise would be buy the best you can afford. I would be looking for a rust free car to be honest. The body is galvanised after 1980 so it should be no rust.
    The dash can be recover by any trimmer.
    I would also rather buy a car used that not use with a NCT just because it is legal vehicule then.

Hopefully you find what you are after.
    The 924 owner club is the way forward. URL porsche924.co.uk

I am on there too.

I actually wondering why we are so few Irish in the club, I would be delighted to organise some 924 event soon I it was a goer;-)

Hi Guys,
    Anyone any experience in getting a mechanic to deal with rust on a sill- is it mega bucks to get welding on a car and does it tend to indicate that the whole thing is a gonner?

I'm looking at going to view this one and it does need a bit of work, but otherwise seems exactly what I want. The problems described over the phone were just that - a bit of rust on passengers side sill, rear shocks seized or otherwise not working. Anyone any experience with either of those and a guess-timate of cost for sill work or shocks or even for a top end rebuild? As I'v said I'v only had boring cars so far so havent a lot of experience with this lark.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/porsche-924-classic-car-coupe-very-cheap/1030382836#photo-content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

The cost of maintaining a 924 is relatively cheap, but when it comes to a major job like sill replacement ,it usually involves major work by a very skilled panel beater,the last time i checked which was about 5 years ago you would have been looking at €1000 per side, as you had to remove the outer sill before you could determine what the inner sill condition was like,but it might just need patching, it would be best to get some one who knows what they are looking at, to determine what it would entail,prior to buying it.
    + you will have to pay €200 to clear it.
    £900 is a bit much for a car needing structural work also you will have to nct it,you would be far better looking for a pre 80 924 that is nct exempt.

Hmmm, it is a tricky one.
    The shock rear replacement would not be a problem, They are about €80 for a pair.
    A head rebuild, is costly so if I would go for a good second hand head instead after why this would be required would be my question.
    I am not a fan of welding. I am not good at it. So I am try to find rust free car, which is usually with a 924. So if there is rust I would leave it to be honest.

The price on welding have come down a lot, as a lot more people are looking for work, when 5 years ago the story was different.

If you buy this car it would be £900 so €1100 + 200 to clear it €1300.

To evaluate the work required and the cost.
    Ask the seller when the MOT was completed the last time, and what advisories are on it ?

Also ask when the brake have been done last time ? The tyres ? Cold start and Hot start problem ?
    Get a pics of under the bonnet could get some nice indication of the car maintenance.
    Get also a pics of the damaged sills ?

Where are you located ? To be honest I will need more info before going and see it.

The price is too high I think.

Do you have spannering skill ? and garage/workshop to work if needed ?

How bad is the rust? Can't imagine it being a major problem on a glavinised shell... Mine had some stone chip damage leading to small areas of surface rust, but nothing serious.

Another question what is your budget ?

Hi, Thanks for the replies-
    @superfly:
    my budget depends on the motor. I have an amount in mind being the total cost of purchasing, fixing, and nct. so if it has a current nct and is 80-83 id pay more, but if its like the one above needing flat vrt and nct, and work a lot less. but obviously id like to do the best i can.
    @salysol:
    I know people recommend the pre 80 ones but i have the service manual for each year and it looks like they made adjustments as they went along and galvanized better from 80 on so those together mean id rather the latest i could get- an 83' ideally. it that not the ticket?
    @kennyloggins:
    I only have phone description to go on- I'll ask for a photo of the sill and engine bay, to save me jaunting up over three hours to londonderry if i can rule it out first.

There is one in finglas listed on donedeal, but for all the times i drove past it it never moved, and has no plates or nct nor hood ornament. and he wants 3250. From looking online I think i should expect better for that. Also, I just want something tidy for fun now soon. as my work might take me to north america permanently middle of next year.... :-P so its hard to wait for a minter to come along...

Thanks for all the advice and if i get a photo of the sill- ill post and ye can tell me if its one that obviously needs to be avoided maybe?

Ok based on the fact you want a car for fun, and you might have a very limited amount of time as in roughly 1 year.
    I would not bother with a rolling project car, and so on.

A 1980 onwards, the car are fully galvanised, prior that only the floor pan is.
    There was also some changes/improvement made over the years, to improve hot start for example.

The one in Finglas, I have not seen in on a ad, I am in near Dublin myself I might be able to come with you if you wish.
    It does look pricey, I would except everything to be done and just jump in and drive.

I think if I was in your case, I would probably look at import one from the UK mainland, factor that in the purchase and work your buying price in this then.
    Get a car in used, with MOT or NCT (they do come up sometimes in Ireland).

Hope it helps the quest.

Hi Guys,

I asked for some more photos and was sent these- anything thats obvious in there that means i should give it a miss??
    Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/xAGGW

Cheers,
    Daniel

rust on a sill
    top end rebuild

Why would you go for a car that needs structural work or major engine work?

Plenty of fish in the sea, why do it the hard way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

salysol wrote: »
    you would be far better looking for a pre 80 924 that is nct exempt.
    I can't fully agree here, as the 924 had fully galvanised body on models from 1980 onwards. That would be higher on the list of priorities for me than NCT exemption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Seweryn wrote: »
    I can't fully agree here, as the 924 had fully galvanised body on models from 1980 onwards. That would be higher on the list of priorities for me than NCT exemption.

I have a car registered in May of 79 and it has the fully galvanised shell.

Advertisement