Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

924 question from a long time lurker.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dcollins

unkel wrote: »
    Why would you go for a car that needs structural work or major engine work?

Plenty of fish in the sea, why do it the hard way?

@unkel I would much rather buy one with no work needed but there are bugger all good ones on the go in ireland at the minute :-(
    Because of work I cant really nip over to england, and the cost of a trip if i dont end up buying would be a fair percentage of what these cars cost- a mechanic + petrol to look at one in belfast 3 weeks ago was 174. I'm probably being impatient but I'v wanted to own for for a long time. I'm not desperate mind, i have walked away from two so far.

Cheers for all the replies and if you know of a good one going - let me know!
    -Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

Hi Daniel,

I would leave that car where it is, as there is a bit too much work required if you want up to scratch.
    If it was a long term investment it will could make sense, but as you need something working for 1 year you might not have time to fix the whole and to enjoy the car.

I know there are few cars, on sale in the 924 Owner club, I bought all my car from the club.
    For the same reason as you I could not find good ones here, and I always manage to organise the collection or picking it up myself.
    I did see some good ones poping up in Ireland, you need patience as it is this end of the summer, you may find people selling.

I shall fixing one of mine and selling it to you ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think that one in the North has the potential to be a money pit. Does it even have an MOT?

You just wouldn't know what lies beneath until someone got it up on a ramp with a torch and a screwdriver - because that is exactly what the NCT people will do.

It's hard to wait for sure - but you'll regret jumping in for the sake of it.

Did you look at this one?
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C409061

Or in the UK - best colour ;):
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C409596
    (Nice road trip!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Dades wrote: »
    I think that one in the North has the potential to be a money pit. Does it even have an MOT?

You just wouldn't know what lies beneath until someone got it up on a ramp with a torch and a screwdriver - because that is exactly what the NCT people will do.

It's hard to wait for sure - but you'll regret jumping in for the sake of it.

Did you look at this one?
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C409061

Or in the UK - best colour ;):
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C409596
    (Nice road trip!)

Second one looks good.

I'd ignore cars that have a fresh paint job but are advertised at a fraction of the cost of a decent paint job. :D

Yeah, I've giving a miss to the one in the north that's white, I went to see the other northern one with a mechanic 4 weeks ago, leaky tank and many other potential issues.

That second one is the best I've looked at to date and had 20 emails back and forth with the guy, has mot, is a porsche924.co.uk member. was prepared to go collect it sunday as long as a mechanic checked and gave me the nod this week but the mechanic in plymouth and the owner weren't free at the same time. so ill hopefully buy when he's home from his trip. its the best one on paper I'v seen. just unlucky timing really. i have a graduation friday and it would have made my weekend to end up going over to get it. id be happy to wait for that one.

Cheers guys, the search goes on.

• Advertisement

Hi Daniel,

Here is the thread for the second car from the 924 club.

http://porsche924.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15103

Cheers Superfly, thanks for that link. the black one is good looking and I'll get over to see it if I can in the coming fortnight. My next question is a bit of a tangent.

If i get a very good deal on a 944 is it going to be much nicer a ride but a whole lot more expensive to maintain?
    After having a google around there seems to be the consensus that the belt/water pump needs to be replaced at high cost as well as some pretty pricy suspension. Anyone any experience with a 944 care to share their experience/opinion?

dcollins wrote: »
    Cheers Superfly, thanks for that link. the black one is good looking and I'll get over to see it if I can in the coming fortnight. My next question is a bit of a tangent.

If i get a very good deal on a 944 is it going to be much nicer a ride but a whole lot more expensive to maintain?
    After having a google around there seems to be the consensus that the belt/water pump needs to be replaced at high cost as well as some pretty pricy suspension. Anyone any experience with a 944 care to share their experience/opinion?

VW parts prices Vs Porsche part prices.

Clutch kits for example - http://www.frazerpart.com/acatalog/924_New_3.Transmission.html

He's done loads of work on that black one, but I'm a bit dubious about that momo steering wheel, and very dubious about the hairy dashboard!

Well you you will enter in a different price range for maintenance that is for sure.
    The early 944 have the engine 2.5 as a 924S, the 944 does have a tendancy to suffer from sill rust.
    As you said the Water Pump and Timing need to be change as the engine is an interference engine so if it does break it will do some serious engine damaged.
    The water pump and kit belt are expensive about €600 as fair as I remember, I seems to reckon the water is €350 just the part.

After everything in parts will be more expensive.

The 944 is basically a 924 with a fat arse. I have a mate whom had owned at the same time a 924 N/A, 924 Turbo, 924 S, the verdict for him the 924 Turbo is a lot more fun than a 924 S (and so the same as the 944, same engine with bigger arches).

The 924 S is more linear than a 924 Turbo. So that is why the Turbo was is favorite. I can compare only what I tried 924 N/A and Turbo. Well the turbo is the more fun car, however I love driving my N/A.

I am sure it would be a good bit of fun to drive a 924S or 944, however as a starter I believe a N/A would be easier to get around. The mechanic is easy, any decent mechanic will sort you out for cheap if anything need doing.

Basically it is a matter of budget and how much you are able to put in your car.

Does the potential 944 is NCT and in Ireland and all ?

• Advertisement

He's done loads of work on that black one, but I'm a bit dubious about that momo steering wheel, and very dubious about the hairy dashboard!

:p Conor, you don't like the hairy dashboard.

If you happen to go for that car and want a less crack dash I have one. ;)

Oh Lord those are some serious price differences.
    I'm not keen on that hairy dash either, but if the car is as tidy as it seems with the hours put in already getting niggly bits sorted i wouldn't mind working something out with superfly.

I see there is only a 26~bhp difference and about the same mpg. the 85.5 interior on the 944 is hands down nicer but that is quite the difference in expense esp. since I would be putting down 1080 for tax :-P.

I asked because if people say it pulls far better and is a class above i would have considered it for a year, and revised down the line if i end up sticking around. but the word here seems to be that the 924 is the sweet spot for value and not terrible in comparison or anything. I was just frustrated at having seen some 924's in dire straits so far, maybe trying to rationalize being impatient.

Yeah 924 N/A is by far the cheapest to maintain. If the 944 you have seen is not qualify for the vintage tax, I would personally forget about it as you can get a 924 N/A just for the price of the tax :)

The tax is killing the motor industry...

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

Oh Lord those are some serious price differences.
    I'm not keen on that hairy dash either, but if the car is as tidy as it seems with the hours put in already getting niggly bits sorted i wouldn't mind working something out with superfly.

I see there is only a 26~bhp difference and about the same mpg. the 85.5 interior on the 944 is hands down nicer but that is quite the difference in expense esp. since I would be putting down 1080 for tax :-P.

I asked because if people say it pulls far better and is a class above i would have considered it for a year, and revised down the line if i end up sticking around. but the word here seems to be that the 924 is the sweet spot for value and not terrible in comparison or anything. I was just frustrated at having seen some 924's in dire straits so far, maybe trying to rationalize being impatient.

I have driven a 79 , 924 for the last 5 years on a daily basis,i have also owned and driven the 944 and i would still prefer the 924,but in saying that the difference in bhp is roughly 50bhp up on the 924 and it is very noticable in the power band from start to finish. the 924 is very basic and easy to maintain once you understand the it ,almost anything that gives trouble is easily sorted,even for the non mechanicle minded individual, for example the injection system is mechanical in the form of K-Jetronic ans very rarely plays up,what does give trouble is the fuel pressure regulator / hot start thermo time switch/fuel pump /and fuel acumulator,the transisterised unit or [ ecu ] if you like also gives trouble ,as does the dme relay, but all these parts are cheap to replace , other than that they are virtually bullet proof. The 944 on the other hand is a different kettle of fish altogether,for example the fuel system again is fairly straight forward albeit it is a common rail system that is controlled by an ecu,which then sends a singnal to the crank sensor also the ignition ,or spark is controlled by another crank sensor,both of these sensors give trouble and are expensive to replace,as is the ecu. as is the dme relay,further the timing belt kit and clutch kit are very expensive to replace,and if you are using a mechanic to do the work you better have a very healthy bank balance as they can prove to be a money pit to say the least. Personally if i were you i would go for the cleanest 924 you can find and add to it as you need to ,youy will definately get a buzz out of it. i've had 11 924 and i enjoyed every one,i have also broke 5 of them so i have a small mountain of spares,i currently have 2 ,one i drive daily the other i am restoring,and to be honest i wouldn't sell either of them,realistically they are only suitable for 2 adults and 2 small kids you haven't a hope of driving in comfort with 4 adults. I hope that helps clear a bit of your confusion ,as for being galvanised they were all galvanised below the doors prior to 79 there after the whole shell was galvanised so you should be able to find a rust free 79 car.

Re replacing the hairy dashboard (:p) I've heard dash replacement is not for the faint hearted.

In other news, some anonymous wanker backed into my 924 last week and dented the front wing. The same front wing I had fixed less than a year ago after another neighbour did the same thing. What was worse was that the car was in great shape after I'd fixed some cosmetic stuff and only recently passed (early) it's NCT. :mad:

/rant

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

some anonymous wanker

Durty Fecker!

Back to Hill Motors?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056790505

Re replacing the hairy dashboard (:p) I've heard dash replacement is not for the faint hearted.

In other news, some anonymous wanker backed into my 924 last week and dented the front wing. The same front wing I had fixed less than a year ago after another neighbour did the same thing. What was worse was that the car was in great shape after I'd fixed some cosmetic stuff and only recently passed (early) it's NCT. :mad:

/rant
    Changing the dash is more time consuming than difficult.
    i have wings here if you need one Dades ?

macplaxton wrote: »
    Maybe! though my mechanic is eager for a go at it.
    How irritating is this:

Last year: :(

frontleft1_Small.jpeg

Fixed! :)

photo_2_Small_6.jpg

Last week: :mad:

6VLbhm.jpg

salysol, I don't think a new wing would save me any cash or hassle, thanks. A bank draft for 250 quid would be welcome though!

I think that wing just forgot that it was repaired.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Has that broken the paint? If it hasn't must be worth a massage out shot by a local PDR wizard?

• Advertisement

Maybe! though my mechanic is eager for a go at it.
    How irritating is this:

Last year: :(

frontleft1_Small.jpeg

Fixed! :)

photo_2_Small_6.jpg

Last week: :mad:

6VLbhm.jpg

salysol, I don't think a new wing would save me any cash or hassle, thanks. A bank draft for 250 quid would be welcome though!
    no problem dades, it looks very clean other than the wing.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Has that broken the paint? If it hasn't must be worth a massage out shot by a local PDR wizard?
    Well, I used to think that way. But it's the same as last time and I got two quotes then both of whom said it was a respray job. My local guy is reliably honest and 'competitive', and this time even he figured it was too, despite the paint being uncracked.

Any thoughts on someone in SCD who could do a job welcome, though I do want it done as per the last job. :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread OP - take it back at any time!

Ha no worries guys, maybe in a few weeks we'll be doing this in that new 924 forum- is there enough interest to draw pple to it do you think? Or will people not want to open another forum separate to this one? I do lurk on the uk 924 one ill admit! If there's enough interest I'd say it could be a welcome idea.

Ha no worries guys, maybe in a few weeks we'll be doing this in that new 924 forum- is there enough interest to draw pple to it do you think? Or will people not want to open another forum separate to this one? I do lurk on the uk 924 one ill admit! If there's enough interest I'd say it could be a welcome idea.

Right I think I need to clarify one thing here, the 924 owner club is not a UK club, it is UK and Ireland (It does also include Ireland north and south).

There is a few Irish on there not as much as I wish to be honest.
    I think we could have a great 924 scene in Ireland, and do show and run and all.

The 924 owner club is there for 8 years, and growing each year and organising amazing show. There is a stand at the NEC this year again. I shall be there.

I am a committee member of the 924 owner club. ;)

I was a member but didn't renew as I had paid full membership in October to find a renewal due in January. The mag is great, and the tech forum very helpful, but I think the fee should cover a full year.

I was a member but didn't renew as I had paid full membership in October to find a renewal due in January. The mag is great, and the tech forum very helpful, but I think the fee should cover a full year.

The fee run from February to end of January, there is usually a deal made around October/November to for the rest of the year and the following one.
    Apologies that you have not got it.
    The membership process is fairly manual at the moment so we have to run it on a 12 month basis to keep the admin simpler.
    We are working on a more automated system which will allow more flexible.

As you probably notice when going on the forum it is a club run by enthousiast for enthousiast. ;)

I posted there a lot but let my sub lapse a couple of years ago - the main reason (apart from time) being I sorted issues which had come with the car and no longer needed tech advice! Also - and superfly35 will know all about it - there was a lot of tedious in-fighting between current and ex-committee members. No doubt now superfly35 is on board all that is gone. :)

Must drop by and see how it's going, because it is a great resource.

I posted there a lot but let my sub lapse a couple of years ago - the main reason (apart from time) being I sorted issues which had come with the car and no longer needed tech advice! Also - and superfly35 will know all about it - there was a lot of tedious in-fighting between current and ex-committee members. No doubt now superfly35 is on board all that is gone. :)

Must drop by and see how it's going, because it is a great resource.

Thanks.
    As you say Conor all of that is gone, some people have moved on. It is a fairly nice place to be these days. ;)
    We should meet and I will show you my Turbo, we could even try to poke back that wing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

superfly35 wrote: »
    We should meet and I will show you my Turbo, we could even try to poke back that wing

I hope thats not innuendo Arnaud. You and your winks! :D

The owners clubs site is a great resource. Its already helped me out a lot with guides and how to's. If you're stuck, theres people who know the car inside out on hand.
    I had to stump up a years membership for 6 months which is annoying but when the knowledge can save you €€€'s, its a small price to pay.

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »
    I hope thats not innuendo Arnaud. You and your winks! :D

The owners clubs site is a great resource. Its already helped me out a lot with guides and how to's. If you're stuck, theres people who know the car inside out on hand.
    I had to stump up a years membership for 6 months which is annoying but when the knowledge can save you €€€'s, its a small price to pay.

Hi Agricola,
    I m glad you think that. Just to be clear we are not about to the money of people and running out.
    I think there is a deal for 18 months membership. If you are not getting it let us know we are far from automate process at the minute so we do the best we can really. We are always ready to ensure it is all good for anyone.

Just to come back on topics, I am up for meeting people and going and see potential cars. I can even show my 924 if people wants to how she should looks like.
    Basically happy to help ;-)

Advertisement