Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibre Windows Vista Wireless connection not working

Options
  • 20-08-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭

Hi

my parents got an efibre modem recently and since then have not been able to connect up their Windows Vista laptop using WiFi.

A samsung tablet connects fine
    An I-Phone connects fine
    A Windows 7 laptop connects fine
    A Windows XP laptop connects fine

I brought their Laptop to my own house ( I haven't got efibre yet) and it connected up to my Eircom Broadband wifi fine.

When i plug an ethernet cable into the modem and into the Vista machine it connects up, but the WiFi is not connecting at all.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

do you have Vista Sp2 installed ? 
    check http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056971211 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Yep, have SP2, and tried the knowledge base fix last night, still no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Vico1612

Can you give our technical support department a call on 1890 260 260, enter your telephone number and you will be put through to an efibre trained agent.

The can go through the laptop set up & settings with you directly.

Let me know how you get on.

Mark

Hi Vico1612

Can you give our technical support department a call on 1890 260 260, enter your telephone number and you will be put through to an efibre trained agent.

Mark
    i assume you mean me? Considering I'm the OP....

And i was on to that number for 30 minutes last night before hanging up as i got bored of hearing the same ad over and over again.....

Hi Vico1612

Mark

And i was on to that number for 30 minutes last night before hanging up as i got bored of hearing the same ad over and over again.....

Sorry knucklehead6

I have sent on the thread to see if I can get some suggestions from support directly.

I will let you know when the get back to me.

Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Vico1612

Mark

Hi,

I know it seems basic, support asked if you have insured you have insured all the windows updates are to date on the laptop?

"update on the vista machine, they are probably missing the latest service pack"

Mark

Hi Vico1612

Mark

Hi,

I know it seems basic, support asked if you have insured you have insured all the windows updates are to date on the laptop?

"update on the vista machine, they are probably missing the latest service pack"

Mark
    Hi Mark

The machine has Vista SP2. To my knowledge that's the latest version.

Kh6

check http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056971211

Hi Vico1612

Mark

Hi,

Mark
    Hi Mark

Kh6

Hi knucklehead6

I understand that you have called support (1890 260 260) before and were on hold. However they need to do some real time step by step checks over the phone while on the laptop to try and locate the possible issue.

Sorry we can not do more from here.

Mark

Hi Vico1612

Mark

Hi,

Mark
    Hi Mark

Kh6

Hi knucklehead6

I understand that you have called support (1890 260 260) before and were on hold. However they need to do some real time step by step checks over the phone while on the laptop to try and locate the possible issue.

Mark
    ok, i'm off work tomorrow so i'll give it another try then. I'll have another look tonight, as i noticed on some forums when looking up a similar problem to the one they're experiencing.

Hi Vico1612

Mark

Hi,

Mark
    Hi Mark

Kh6

Hi knucklehead6

Mark
    ok, i'm off work tomorrow so i'll give it another try then. I'll have another look tonight, as i noticed on some forums when looking up a similar problem to the one they're experiencing.

Hi knucklehead6

Support are open until 10PM each night if that is more suitable.

Let me know how the call goes.

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi Vico1612

Mark

Hi,

Mark
    Hi Mark

Kh6

Hi knucklehead6

Mark

Hi knucklehead6

Support are open until 10PM each night if that is more suitable.

Let me know how the call goes.

Mark
    This really makes pathetic reading - surely it is not beyond the capabilities of Eircom for you to arrange for someone to ring the customers at an agreed time????????????????????????

This is resolved.

Norton didn't like the way that vista was trying to communicate with the router, so one quick uninstall later and install of AVG and away we went.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

dub45 wrote: »
    This really makes pathetic reading - surely it is not beyond the capabilities of Eircom for you to arrange for someone to ring the customers at an agreed time????????????????????????

Since the problem has nothing to do with eircom I see them as being rather obliging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

This is resolved.

Norton didn't like the way that vista was trying to communicate with the router, so one quick uninstall later and install of AVG and away we went.

Hi knucklehead6

Great to hear this, Thanks for letting us know!

Thanks

Al

TheChizler wrote: »

Since the problem has nothing to do with eircom I see them as being rather obliging.

The thing that had me confused is that the laptop was communicating fine with the previous eircom modem, and also with the eircom modem in my own house.

Not everyone is going to investigate the problem themselves, and looking at it from a purely consumer pov, if something was working with the older modem, doesn't work with the new modem, yet will get a connection on another eircom modem (and a huawei vodafone dongle) then in a way it IS an eircom problem.

I just posted my own resolution to let the eircom guys know that it appears that Norton may not like the way that the Vista O/S and the efibre modem are communicating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

TheChizler wrote: »

The thing that had me confused is that the laptop was communicating fine with the previous eircom modem, and also with the eircom modem in my own house.

Not everyone is going to investigate the problem themselves, and looking at it from a purely consumer pov, if something was working with the older modem, doesn't work with the new modem, yet will get a connection on another eircom modem (and a huawei vodafone dongle) then in a way it IS an eircom problem.

I just posted my own resolution to let the eircom guys know that it appears that Norton may not like the way that the Vista O/S and the efibre modem are communicating.
    Hi knucklehead6

I see your point, thanks for getting back and letting us know this.

Thanks

Al

Advertisement