Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget for moving out.

Options
  • 20-08-2013 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Letting €750.00
    Internet €40.50
    Electricity €80.00
    Food €200.00
    Going Out €100.00
    Other €100

This is the budget I have worked out for moving out. Is there anything I am missing or do the figures look wrong? Its per month for a 1 bed flat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Insurance? You should insure your own contents. Television & TV License? It's going to become a broadcasting charge next year so you will need to pay it on your internet then anyway.

Is your heat electrical as well? No mention of gas in your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

Its going to be alot more than that !!! Have fun or stay at home if you can ! €25 for going out per week , well that get ya 3 drinks in Galway,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mobile phone?
    Gas?
    commuting?

There maybe some initial costs too like duvets,small house bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Its going to be alot more than that !!! Have fun or stay at home if you can ! €25 for going out per week , well that get ya 3 drinks in Galway,

Ye €25 a week what I've been doing for the last 2 years. Stock up on cheap vodka and pretty easy.
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    Mobile phone?
    Gas?
    commuting?

There maybe some initial costs too like duvets,small house bits.
    Phone is paid by work. No gas, its electric heating. No commuting. 4 minute walk to College.
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Insurance? You should insure your own contents. Television & TV License? It's going to become a broadcasting charge next year so you will need to pay it on your internet then anyway.
    Is your heat electrical as well? No mention of gas in your budget?

I suppose I should insure stuff, not sure if I will bother. Have to check how much my stuff is worth!

No TV in the house. Next year I'll sort out the broadcasting charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    No gas, its electric heating.

Add a 1 in front of that electricity bill in that case. At least.
    €25 for going out per week , well that get ya 3 drinks in Galway,

It'll also get you absolutely plastered one night or a bit merry on both nights of a weekend in some parts of Donegal :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

electric, €80.

what do you do? use 1 light?

RossieMan wrote: »
    electric, €80.

what do you do? use 1 light?

Is €160 for 2 months really an underbudget?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

maybe i just use a lot of electricity, but yea. I'd imagine 80 for a month is a fair bit off, i'd be budgeting €150 just to be on the safe side, definitely with heating. even then it might be too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For electric heating, MASSIVELY yes.

What should I be budgeting for then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

RossieMan wrote: »
    maybe i just use a lot of electricity, but yea. I'd imagine 80 for a month is a fair bit off, i'd be budgeting €150 just to be on the safe side, definitely with heating. even then it might be too low.

€80 a month would be about right, maybe even a bit on the high side, for a one bedroom apartment in summer (when I lived alone in a two bed apartment my bills were about €120 in the summer for two months).

In winter, for one person heating a one bed apartment, especially if they are not there all day, I dont see why it would be more than around €200 a bill (two months); maybe a bit more but it would depend on the apartment and how well insulated it is. My bills averaged out at about €250 this winter to heat a two bedroom apartment. The trick is not to use the storage heaters, and instead fins something like a plug in radiator that is cheaper to run and easier to control.

If in doubt budget higher, but honestly if I was spending €300 on an electric bill in a one bed apartment Id be looking at what Im doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I have 2 storage heaters, and 2 electric heaters on timers, plus an immersion, water pump, washing machine, dishwasher and various computers running full time, and my average monthly electricity bill is €70. That's averaged over the whole year - summer is lower, winter is higher. If you're only going to be there 9 months from September you could up that a bit.

Have you accounted for your first month's deposit on the rent? And deposits for electricity etc?

Will you have subscriptions for Sky/UPC/Netflix? Are you counting things like birthday presents/clothes/hygiene/household products under "other"? Do you have a contingency budget for the day you suddenly end up paying for a locksmith/plumber/electrician (even if you'll get the money back later)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't think the electricity bill is too far off. i've tenants in a 2 bed with storage heating and their bill is ~120 a every 2 months.

Depends on the place. If it's insulated well you'll be fine, or if it's sandwiched in between two other flats that like their heat, you will absorb theirs through the walls and floors. :D

I'd say you have it about right. Maybe missing insurance, and your 'other' pile is a little small if it's to contain books, clothes, stationary, college events etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

djimi is bang on, I'm in a 1 bed and have the tv, xbox, electric cooker/oven, etc, and I keep forgetting to turn the boiler off (only goes on at night) and my bill is about 110 every 2 months.
    Last winter used the storage heaters and it when to 250 every 2 months (plus the place wasn't even that warm by the time you get home at night). Bought a plugin halogen heater and it was down to about 160 durning winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

dont forget rubbish bins collection, if that isn't included already in the rent.

Advertisement