Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin CC, any advice?

Options
  • 20-08-2013 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I'm an incoming college student soon moving into the city centre near the IFSC.

Not meaning to offend any natives here, but as a semi bogger I've heard all sorts of abuse, slander and horror stories about the "hellish" Dublin. I know most of it is exaggerated and bollocks. A lot of my childhood was spent in London so I'm not a huge stranger to city life and know the general stuff (don't wave around iPhones etc.)

I was just wondering if there was any dos/donts specific to Dublin, what areas to generally avoid trouble in and what other things you recommend in the city centre (Restaurants/Bars/Gyms).

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

I've never had trouble on O'Connell Street but I often feel really uncomfortable walking around there, even though it's well patrolled at night it can attract some pretty dodgy people during the day. Likewise, totally avoid the Liffey boardwalk. Otherwise I find Dublin pretty safe.

The best restaurants (IMO) are Yamamoris, FX Buckley's and The Exchequer gastropub, hands down. Acopolco (I think that's how you spell it) is amazing too, so I'd recommend checking them out at some stage. The Grand Social, Doyles, The Globe, and RiRa are decent places for a night out. As for gyms, town ones are pretty expensive but google Westpoint gyms as I think they have some of the best deals in Dublin.

As a native in Dublin, I've only been mugged once, and that was five minutes from my front door in a cosy suburb, the city is actually okay once you employ common sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Afroshack wrote: »
    I've never had trouble on O'Connell Street but I often feel really uncomfortable walking around there, even though it's well patrolled at night it can attract some pretty dodgy people during the day. Likewise, totally avoid the Liffey boardwalk. Otherwise I find Dublin pretty safe.

The best restaurants (IMO) are Yamamoris, FX Buckley's and The Exchequer gastropub, hands down. Acopolco (I think that's how you spell it) is amazing too, so I'd recommend checking them out at some stage. The Grand Social, Doyles, The Globe, and RiRa are decent places for a night out. As for gyms, town ones are pretty expensive but google Westpoint gyms as I think they have some of the best deals in Dublin.

As a native in Dublin, I've only been mugged once, and that was five minutes from my front door in a cosy suburb, the city is actually okay once you employ common sense.

To be honest, I think you should be more concerned with the condition of the apartments you look at than the area it's in. The city centre is much of a muchness to live in. I lived in Mountjoy Square for 6 years and never had any bother. Just check and double-check any place you view and if you like it, take it. Haggle on the rent, too, if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

There are lots of opinions on what the streets are like in this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056992518

There are loads of great places to eat and drink. North inner city check out the Black Sheep excellent selection of craft beers and the food is brilliant! If you know Galway it will be familiar its the same group that does Oslo, Cottage and Salthouse. The Hairy Lemon is a bit touristy but the food there is really good I love their cabonara!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Just common sense stuff really,like not walking down the street with your phone in your hand oblivious to whats going on around you.Not really any no go areas as long as you keep your wits about you.

Student-ish bars would be places like Cassidys on Westmoreland Street,Living Room on Cathal Brugha Street,Fibbers on Parnell Street,O'Reilly's beside Tara Street Station,Sweeneys on Dame Street,Doyles beside Trinity and The Bernard Shaw up on Richmond Street.Workmans Club on the quays too.

Some of the Asian places on Capel Street do some really nice (and cheap!) specials and are worth investigating.Plus most places will have some form of student discount or meal deal,Burritos and Blues had a good one a few months back which they probably still do.

Not sure about gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

On the day you receive your student card, hop yourself on a tram to Jervis and buy a burrito in Boojum. You won't be disappointed.

Check out Dame Lane on the weekend, nice spot. You'll probably end up in all the "official-college-night-out" places though. D2, Alchemy, agh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Caonima wrote: »
    Just check and double-check any place you view and if you like it, take it. Haggle on the rent, too, if you can.

Is the haggling true? In all my years of renting, I have only ever managed to haggle once I have been living in a place for a couple of years (so the landlady would know I was a good tenant). Do you mean haggling before you've taken a place? I'm looking at the moment and there is at least 10 groups of people looking at every place I'm looking at.

But re the OP: I've lived in what some may call 'dodgy' areas and have never once had anything happen to me. Definitely agree with Caonima that it's important to get a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

There's no way you'd be able to haggle for rent at the moment, landlords have the upper hand. There's an excess of demand over supply!

What college are you going to be attending OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

On the day you receive your student card, hop yourself on a tram to Jervis and buy a burrito in Boojum. You won't be disappointed.

Check out Dame Lane on the weekend, nice spot. You'll probably end up in all the "official-college-night-out" places though. D2, Alchemy, agh.

...if you like watery burritos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Dublin is mostly fine once you keep your wits about you. There are a fair few dodgy characters about, but once you keep walking and don't start a row, they generally leave you alone. I've been going out at night in town for four years without any serious incidents. Don't wave expensive stuff around and don't walk down dark alleys :pac: If you've lived in London, you'll be grand in Dublin! You'll get a lot of practice saying "No, sorry, no spare change on me" though :P

Most of the colleges have gyms, so don't join any in town until you've found out whether yours has one or not :)

There are currently a huge amount of noodle bars and burrito bars in Dublin (both have sprung up like wildfire in the last couple years) so you'll never have to pay more than about a fiver for lunch :P Loads of places have student discounts too (check the back of any society cards you might get). I agree with most of the bar recommendations here, as well as J.W. Sweetman on the quays (used to be called Messrs until very recently).

Oh, and Cineworld, the Savoy and Screen cinemas do pretty good student prices on certain days of the week.

Is the haggling true? In all my years of renting, I have only ever managed to haggle once I have been living in a place for a couple of years (so the landlady would know I was a good tenant). Do you mean haggling before you've taken a place? I'm looking at the moment and there is at least 10 groups of people looking at every place I'm looking at.

But re the OP: I've lived in what some may call 'dodgy' areas and have never once had anything happen to me. Definitely agree with Caonima that it's important to get a nice place.

I've haggled over rent before... most I ever got off was around e50 per month, but it was still worth it. I never took a landlord's word for it that there was a lot of other people looking at the place. Landlords don't like their places unrented for long so if you rock up at the right time and make them an offer, who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I've haggled over rent before... most I ever got off was around e50 per month, but it was still worth it. I never took a landlord's word for it that there was a lot of other people looking at the place. Landlords don't like their places unrented for long so if you rock up at the right time and make them an offer, who knows.

Not in 2013. This year there is over 8,000 Brazilians, a ton of Koreans and thousands of other foreign language students which werent here 3 years ago. OP you will be lucky to find a decent place to live never mind getting a reduction in rent.

Dublin isnt that dodgy as people make it out to be. Most of my friends have gotten robbed in the "respectable upper middle class" suburbs. Like I have walked home through the north inner city at 3am dozens of times no problems at all(Im a man through). Just use your head. If a place looks dodgy it probably. But in 2013 a lot of "sh1tty areas" are being more wealthier and safer like Phisboro.

Regarding safety I wouldn't worry if you're in the CC. Very few streets I'd feel unsafe on in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

There's no way you'd be able to haggle for rent at the moment, landlords have the upper hand. There's an excess of demand over supply!

What college are you going to be attending OP?

NCI, unfortunately my LC results didn't get me into the likes of Trinity/UCD but I liked NCI's facilities (especially for my course computing) so I went for it. Well connected by Luas and the Rail/Bus close by connects me quickly back to Wexford :D .

Thanks to all the advice given in this thread! I move in next Saturday, so I'll be sure to print this stuff for further viewing :pac: .

I'll admit to having never ate a burrito, ever, so I look forward to that!

shootie wrote: »
    NCI, unfortunately my LC results didn't get me into the likes of Trinity/UCD but I liked NCI's facilities (especially for my course computing) so I went for it. Well connected by Luas and the Rail/Bus close by connects me quickly back to Wexford :D .

Thanks to all the advice given in this thread! I move in next Saturday, so I'll be sure to print this stuff for further viewing :pac: .

I'll admit to having never ate a burrito, ever, so I look forward to that!

If it's still open, check out the Epicurean Food Hall on Liffey Street (only 3 minutes from O'Connell Street). Lots of different foods from around the world, and the burritos (last time I was there) are good. Very, very stodgy. Can be a bit skanger-intensive there at times, so watch your stuff, but if you go in and pick up some grub to eat on the hoof then you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Oh, I'm not taking the landlord's word for it: all of the places I have been looking at recently have had at least 10 different groups of people looking at it. There's no chance of haggling because the landlord will just choose someone willing to pay the advertised price (and there will be plenty who will).

I'm not sure if this is because of an influx in overseas students as hfallada said or because of a lack of available properties on the market, but either way rents are up and it's very, very hard to find an affordable, habitable place in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Oh, I'm not taking the landlord's word for it: all of the places I have been looking at recently have had at least 10 different groups of people looking at it. There's no chance of haggling because the landlord will just choose someone willing to pay the advertised price (and there will be plenty who will).

I'm not sure if this is because of an influx in overseas students as hfallada said or because of a lack of available properties on the market, but either way rents are up and it's very, very hard to find an affordable, habitable place in Dublin.

I found the situation similar in January. Group viewings are the norm and folks will often have the deposit with them in cash at the viewing. It's difficult to start a negotiation when the guy in front of you is willing to pay asking on the spot.

We got lucky in the end with one place that was asking a little too much so they weren't getting many people in to view and they ended up dropping by €100 when we said it was too rich for us. In that case we were the only people viewing and another apartment in the block was due on the market the following week at a lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 YossiA

Moved to Dublin recently, great advice here. Now living in Grand Canal Dock area. Very safe here and some great restaurants and cafes. No negotiating on rent with my landlord, he informed me rents in this area has risen 20% in last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Landlords are people too so tell them a bit about yourself. When you go to view the place bring an envelope with you in case you like the place. Have in it;

Your references (Previous landlord/Work).
    A letter thanking them for the viewing, what you are willing to pay on the rent and a short bit about yourself including what you do, how you see yourself, where you come from and your interests.

It's a personal touch that a lot of them appreciate. Yes, they want as much money as possible but they also want the place to be looked after and for them to have the least amount of hassle possible for the time you live there. To a landlord, a good tenant is one that pays on time, you never hear from and when they move out, the place is still in good nick.

Remember too that by giving the envelope, you are put forward for consideration with anyone else who shows an interest there and then but it gives you time to digest about what you think about the place and if you ultimately want to take it.

Any landlord who takes an actual monetary deposit on the spot at a group viewing I would be wary of.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

funk-you wrote: »
    Landlords are people too so tell them a bit about yourself. When you go to view the place bring an envelope with you in case you like the place. Have in it;

Your references (Previous landlord/Work).
    A letter thanking them for the viewing, what you are willing to pay on the rent and a short bit about yourself including what you do, how you see yourself, where you come from and your interests.

It's a personal touch that a lot of them appreciate. Yes, they want as much money as possible but they also want the place to be looked after and for them to have the least amount of hassle possible for the time you live there. To a landlord, a good tenant is one that pays on time, you never hear from and when they move out, the place is still in good nick.

Remember too that by giving the envelope, you are put forward for consideration with anyone else who shows an interest there and then but it gives you time to digest about what you think about the place and if you ultimately want to take it.

Any landlord who takes an actual monetary deposit on the spot at a group viewing I would be wary of.

-Funk

Excellent and sound advice.

Buy a Leap Card. If you commute daily then check out weekly/monthly/annual tickets.

Check out the Pav in Trinity - nice place to hang out.

Get an annual Dublin Bikes card (€10). So f*cking handy to have in your wallet when you need to get somewhere quick.

The rest you'll figure out as you live there. Everyone has different interests so it's hard to recommend bars or restaurants.

• Advertisement

Check out the Pav in Trinity - nice place to hang out....

.. when there's no students there.. :D

Advertisement