Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus driver just threw a punch at a cyclist in Rathgar

Options
  • 20-08-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was at the Rathgar Cross at around 20:55 stopped at the red, and a cyclist was leading the moving flow of traffic with a Dublin Bus behind him (it was coming from Terenure so it was either the 65b or one of the 15's).

The cyclist (granted) was cycling on the right side of the lane, but it was obvious that he intended to turn right past the cross, so he wasn't breaking any rules. Anyway he was merrily cycling along when the bus driver matched him on the road, rolled down his window and tried to sock him one in the head! It was extremely dangerous and had he hit him he could have sent the cyclist straight into the oncoming traffic.

The cyclist ended up not taking his turn and instead hammered it after the bus where I'm sure he caught up and the two expressed some very serious and comprehensible words.

Anyway the point of me posting this is if the cyclist happens to see this and for whatever reason needs a witness to this cretin throwing a punch at him, just PM me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

142055 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was at the Rathgar Cross at around 20:55 stopped at the red, and a cyclist was leading the moving flow of traffic with a Dublin Bus behind him (it was coming from Terenure so it was either the 65b or one of the 15's).

The cyclist (granted) was cycling on the wrong side of the road, but it was obvious that he intended to turn right past the cross, so he wasn't breaking any rules. Anyway he was merrily cycling along when the bus driver matched him on the road, rolled down his window and tried to sock him one in the head! It was extremely dangerous and had he hit him he could have sent the cyclist straight into the oncoming traffic.

The cyclist ended up not taking his turn and instead hammered it after the bus where I'm sure he caught up and two expressed some very serious and comprehensible words.

Anyway the point of me posting this is if the cyclist happens to see this and for whatever reason needs a witness to this cretin throwing a punch at him, just PM me.

As a witness, did you get the bus registration and route number?

As you say, the cyclist was clearly on the wrong side of the road.

Were any words expressed between both parties prior to the alleged punch?

The bus driver may have been antagonised previously and prior to the incident in question. He would have CCTV on board to prove his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I know that junction well. If I read the description correctly, he wasn't in the wrong lane. He was in the right-turning lane, in order to make the perfectly legal right turn just beyond the cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 142055

Fiskar wrote: »
    As a witness, did you get the bus registration and route number?

Were any words expressed between both parties prior to the alleged punch?

The bus driver may have been antagonised previously and prior to the incident in question. He would have CCTV on board to prove his case.

Like I said I only know that it was either the 65b or the 15 route that goes by Terenure. After I saw the punch being thrown I was looking at the cyclist to see if he got hit or not and when I saw him tear it after the bus it was too late to catch the number.

There's a case to be made about them possibly having an exchange beforehand, I've got no idea. I could understand that the driver would be peeved that he's cycling on the other side of the road and possibly holding him up a bit but when he's making a right hand turn up ahead you should just wait, not try batter him one.

endacl wrote: »
    I know that junction well. If I read the description correctly, he wasn't in the wrong lane. He was in the right-turning lane, in order to make the perfectly legal right turn just beyond the cross.

He was approaching it, yeah.

Like I said I only know that it was either the 65b or the 15 route that goes by Terenure. After I saw the punch being thrown I was looking at the cyclist to see if he got hit or not and when I saw him tear it after the bus it was too late to catch the number.

There's a case to be made about them possibly having an exchange beforehand, I've got no idea. I could understand that the driver would be peeved that he's cycling on the other side of the road and possibly holding him up a bit but when he's making a right hand turn up ahead you should just wait, not try batter him one.
    No, every bus there should be in the left hand lane. Buses don't turn right at that point.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    No, every bus there should be in the left hand lane. Buses don't turn right at that point.

The bus wasn't turning right. The cyclist was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

There's bad apples in every barrel, was told to 'f**k off' and called a 'pr!ck' on separate occasions while getting off a bus in Dublin. Was minding my own business both times and wasn't drunk or anything, there's nothing eccentric about my dress sense or anything like that either.

Let both incidents go, as far as I'm concerned those types of individuals deserve the sh!te job that being a Dublin Bus driver is.

Conversely,there's a lady who drives the 140 to and from town who's an absolute doll and surely gets chocolates at xmas such is her rapport and demeanor with the passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Cyclist!!!!!!! enough said...

And it begins....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The cyclist (granted) was cycling on the wrong side of the road, but it was obvious that he intended to turn right past the cross, so he wasn't breaking any rules.

Cycling on the wrong side of the road is breaking the rules the last time I checked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Folks, on-topic and constructive posts only, please

Cycling on the wrong side of the road is breaking the rules the last time I checked

Maybe it's not worded correctly. Cyclists normally keep to the left of their lane, but the cyclist in this instance was turning right, so he was hugging the right side of his lane to make the turn. That's the rules of the road. The cyclist wasn't in the wrong.

Hope that makes it a bit more clear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

So the cyclist was set to turn right down Highfield Road (which is perfectly fine)?

Hard to see why that would elicit such a reaction. There are always nutters around but my gut feeling is that something else happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Regardless of whether or not the cyclist was breaking the rules of the road, the bus driver was completely in the wrong not to mention, unprofessional assaulting the cyclist. Also, it's illegal to assault someone unless it's in self defense which it clearly isn't in this case. Never-mind the fact that the bus driver punched the cyclist in the head which could have caused a concussion or worse. That bus driver should be fired and possibly imprisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Calling bull**** on this thread... Anyone who has sat behind the wheel of a Dublin Bus can tell you its almost physically impossible to throw a punch outthe window.. given this.is the op's.first post and he claims to have witnessed this incident but was unable to see the number on the bus, it all seems a bit fishy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Must have been a previous altercation before this happened. Why the driver do that for no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I suggest - Report the full incident to Dublin Bus. I think most buses at this time have GPS locators so they should be able to figure out who the driver was based upon the time and route - and at least investigate.

Calling bull**** on this thread... Anyone who has sat behind the wheel of a Dublin Bus can tell you its almost physically impossible to throw a punch outthe window.. given this.is the op's.first post and he claims to have witnessed this incident but was unable to see the number on the bus, it all seems a bit fishy to me.

Why would I lie about something so insignificant? I created this account just to post what I saw should the cyclist need a witness, and I already mentioned in a reply why I didn't catch the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fiskar wrote: »

Explain how/why.

Why would I lie about something so insignificant? ber.

If its so "insignificant" why would you create an account and start this thread.. its also pretty unbelievable that a driver would commit an assault when there is not one but two cameras focused on his every move..

• Advertisement

If its so "insignificant" why would you create an account and start this thread.. its also pretty unbelievable that a driver would commit an assault when there is not one but two cameras focused on his every move..

Because it was an attempted assault that endangered someones health. I called it insignificant as (luckily) nothing happened, therefore it would be a stupid lie to make up. And I agree about the cameras recording the drivers every move, but he's not accused of being clever is he?

Because it was an attempted assault that endangered someones health. I called it insignificant as (luckily) nothing happened, therefore it would be a stupid lie to make up. And I agree about the cameras recording the drivers every move, but he's not accused of being clever is he?

And as a concerned and responsible citizen your first response is not to go to the Gardai or to Dublin bus but to register an account and start a board's thread ???

And as a concerned and responsible citizen your first response is not to go to the Gardai or to Dublin bus but to register an account and start a board's thread ???

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is this a new trend of lawlessness among cyclists?

I recently drove in on the N11 from Foxrock Church to to White's Cross only to find a cyclist in the righthand (outer) lane and cycling on the right side of the lane i.e. hugging the median. Considering that there is a cycle lane on the N11 which would take him all the way to Donnybrook and beyond, it was a pretty silly part of the road to be cycling on.

It's about time there was some 'zero tolerance' shown to cyclists who behave with impunity on the roads by barging through red lights and pedestrian crossing, in some cases by aping bicycle couriers and physically pushing pedestrians out of the way while they ignore basic traffic regulations..

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

coylemj wrote: »

I recently drove in on the N11 from Foxrock Church to to White's Cross only to find a cyclist in the righthand (outer) lane and cycling on the right side of the lane i.e. hugging the median. Considering that there is a cycle lane on the N11 which would take him all the way to Donnybrook and beyond, it was a pretty silly part of the road to be cycling on.

It's about time there was some 'zero tolerance' shown to cyclists who behave with impunity on the roads by barging through red lights and pedestrian crossing, in some cases by aping bicycle couriers and physically pushing pedestrians out of the way while they ignore basic traffic regulations..

I've witnessed two incidents this week of law breaking by cyclists.
    First on Sunday at Whites Cross he went straight trough red light and ploughed a poor dog out of it being walked accross the road on a leash by it's owner.

Second was this morning on Nassau St.
    again straight through a red pedestrian light and ploughed into a tourist crossing.
    Both times cyclist was unsighted by my bus to the people crossing.

Because they both decided to fly up the nearside of it and just straight through without a bit of forward tought to the pedestrian crossing.
    It is a very rare occasion to witness correct cyclist behavior at junctions and traffic lights.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What the hell, how have we gotten from a report of someone being almost assaulted to this!!

Let me be very clear, punching someone for any reason other then defending yourself is assault, case close.

It doesn't matter if the person had been a cyclist, pedestrian, motorists or a pink dinosaur. It also doesn't matter what the person had been doing previously, even if they had been breaking the law, it is irrelevant, it is still assault and a particularly dangerous type.

This sort of demonishing of cyclists that seems to become popular over the last few months is truly horrifying and dangerous.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tickityboo wrote: »
    I've witnessed two incidents this week of law breaking by cyclists.

Today I witnessed five acts of law breaking by motorists:

- Two cars drive through a red light
    - One car clearly speeding in a 30km/h street
    - Two cars stopped too forward of the traffic lights in the cycle section.

So what exactly is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

bk wrote: »
    What the hell, how have we gotten from a report of someone being almost assaulted to this!!

Let me be very clear, punching someone for any reason other then defending yourself is assault, case close.

It doesn't matter if the person had been a cyclist, pedestrian, motorists or a pink dinosaur. It also doesn't matter what the person had been doing previously, even if they had been breaking the law, it is irrelevant, it is still assault and a particularly dangerous type.

This sort of demonishing of cyclists that seems to become popular over the last few months is truly horrifying and dangerous.

Because they are being demonised means there's obviously cause too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

I saw two motorists break Red Lights this evening in Galway while I drove to work.
    Earlier today whilst driving both to & from Oughterard I was held up by drivers ambling along slowly yet refusing to pull over and let others past:mad::mad::mad:

Clearly ALL MOTORISTS are villianous scum!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

no, there's always a few though, like motorists of pedestrians or whoever
    maybe he was turning right at the next junction?
    that's up to AGS to enforce, but they don't bother enforcing anything apart from speeding on the roads in general.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement