Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nabi 2

• 20-08-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭

Anyone have opinions on the Nabi 2? Thinking of getting one for my six-year-old, might keep her away from my ipad :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Hi Joni,

My little girl got one of these for christmas and loves it.It does not come with play store but you can use amazon app store.
    My wife has a nexus 7 and i would put this along the same lines.
    You can set chore lists and rewards on it for her.
    It will do most if not all of what your ipad does.
    Regards,
    Redriddick,

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

My daughter has one too and loves it. You can only access sites allowed and set up by you. As its restrictive it takes getting used to. In the end I put youtube on for my little girl to watch some of her songs and programmes. If you google you can get instructions on installing google chrome, playstore etc. This makes it more like a regular tablet but tougher quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

My two daughters have them (ages 5 and 7). The absolutely love them. Best thing Santa ever brought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My daughter is looking for a tablet too, and this was on the list. However, with Android 4.3 and the restricted user that is now available I'm not so sure anymore. I've set up a restricted user on my 2012 Nexus 7, and so far it seems to be working in terms of apps, in that they can't access the playstore, internet etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Macy0161 wrote: »
    My daughter is looking for a tablet too, and this was on the list. However, with Android 4.3 and the restricted user that is now available I'm not so sure anymore. I've set up a restricted user on my 2012 Nexus 7, and so far it seems to be working in terms of apps, in that they can't access the playstore, internet etc.

Yup,

We got a N7 for one of our lads in July and the 4.3 features have that sucker locked down....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Fieldog wrote: »
    Yup,

We got a N7 for one of our lads in July and the 4.3 features have that sucker locked down....
    We have found a couple apps playing up on the restricted profile, as they won't let them play when it can't get net access to buy stuff. It's not really a problem, as it's a big plus that those apps are restricted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irenekittyboo

I got a nabi for my child yesterday and I I regret it already. I can not get Netflix even though it says u can. I can not get angry birds starwars even though it says u can. I think the problem is being in Ireland because it says geographical reasons stop me from getting certain apps. Also its not as easy to use as an ipad or a kindle fire. If I was u I would get a kindle fire and a child prof case. They r not as expensive as an ipad but they r a great tablet. Grandma has one and the kids loved it. I thought getting the nabi would be better for them but I wish I got a kindle fire instead. U can go into settings and stop in-app buying and put p-words in place to stop them running up ur credit card bill and stop them from using certain web sights. Good luck! Hope I helped someone else from making the mistake I did. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

I got a nabi for my child yesterday and I I regret it already. I can not get Netflix even though it says u can. I can not get angry birds starwars even though it says u can. I think the problem is being in Ireland because it says geographical reasons stop me from getting certain apps. Also its not as easy to use as an ipad or a kindle fire. If I was u I would get a kindle fire and a child prof case. They r not as expensive as an ipad but they r a great tablet. Grandma has one and the kids loved it. I thought getting the nabi would be better for them but I wish I got a kindle fire instead. U can go into settings and stop in-app buying and put p-words in place to stop them running up ur credit card bill and stop them from using certain web sights. Good luck! Hope I helped someone else from making the mistake I did. :)

My child also has a Nabi 2, she has it 1 year now and loves it, you can side load angry birds or most apps no problem.
    I emailed the APK for a program called airdroid onto it (google airdroid.apk). Also put airdroid onto my HTC and download stuff to my HTC, then using airdroid save any apps I want to the PC from the HTC, then connect to the NABI using airdroid and install directly from airdroid on the pc to the NABI.
    Saved me a lot of hassle and is easy enough to use.

http://airdroid.com/

Another way is to sideload Amazon appstore to your NABI 2 and you will then be able to install apps from the Amazon appstore, following link shows how to install Netflix a simple google will show this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ4eO_LHkKs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Same here, we got our daughter a nabi a year ago and she loves it. Nabi users in the US got the nabi v2.3 software just before Christmas which gives access to Google Play apps, this is supposed to arrive for users here within a few weeks (the delay on the last update was 5-6 weeks after US release.) Looking forward to being able to put on a stargazing app - was a bit surprised there aren't any in the Nabi store, even paid ones.

It came with Angry Birds btw. Try clicking on the 'all apps' button (a small grid of dots in the top right corner) which lets you add installed apps to the Nabi mode screens. If it doesn't appear there then go into parent mode - Add Apps and see if the app is installed, and tick it to make it visible in child mode.

BTW Veggie Tales is a preachy christian app which might not be your cup of tea, most US parents would have heard of it but few here have.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement