Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to prune tree

• 20-08-2013 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Have two oak trees about 10-12 years old and similar crabapple.
    I need to cut right back some lower branches to 'raise the crown' .
    I know some say to do this in winter, but somebody else said if I do it in the summer the bark will seal over the cut branch better than in winter and thus prevent disease. The base of the branches I need to cut would be about 2-3 inches diameter. If in winter would early or late be better? Is it really necessary to apply a paint / protection to the cut branch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Fewer pests around in winter to cause problems, I would say February. The jury is out on painting wounds, a lot of gardening books will say yes but the new thinking is no, because it just seals in and protects any pests that may get in before you paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The best advice is to seal fresh cuts, pretty pointless otherwise.

You'd hardly put a plaster over a festering wound?

You can minimise the risk by cutting sensibly and avoid any tearing. ie double cut to final size/position. Don't use paint, use proper tree wound balm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

Do it in winter. Step cut (as described). Leave a clean finish cut. Don't cut into collar of branch. Wouldn't worry about paint/dressings. Should be good..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

the optimum time for pruning your oaks is november to feburary.
    target pruning should be used.
    Wound paints and balms are long obsolete and unnecessary.

Advertisement