Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up Ag Science in 6th year

• 20-08-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

ATM I'm doing 6 honors and OL Irish. My only weak subject in Higher is English, in 5th I averaged a C1 with very little study and to be honest I think I fluked it, I didn't study for the tests and the tests were fairly easy as she practically told us the test, even then I didn't study :o

I think I'm alright at it and I'll probably get a B3 but with a lot of work (which I'm willing to put in) but it will be VERY time consuming for the grade like for my Biology I'll probably put in the same time but I'm an A average in that so the work will be worth it. Also the A average students work sound WAYYYY better than mine, whenever they are read in class I nearly always have to read after them and mine sounds sh1t in comparison even though I get Cs for them

I'm just wandering should I drop english and pick up Ag Science which I heard is easy. I've been told its 1/3 Biology and 1/3 Geo and as I'm good at those subjects I thought it might get me more points than English.

How easy is Ag Science? Is it easy to pick up in a year? Any help would be great :) Even if I do take up Ag Science I'll probably keep English up till the mock but it would be good to have a good back up as I'm not counting Irish

Sorry I rambled on a bit there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

I did it in one year and got an A1, so it is possible to do ok in within the year.

It's true to say it's 1/3 biology, maybe even more except it's a bit watered-down to be honest.

I didn't do geo so i can't comment, but i avoided the soil question, which comes up every year.

If you are any way interested in farming it'll be fairly easy, if not; it's very doable. Just need to familiarise yourself with some of the farming lingo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

I did it in a year too and got an A1 so it is manageable in a year. However I will warn you that the project takes up a LOT of time, it probably was a little easier for me to get it done as I was repeating when I took up ag science so I was only revising for all other subjects. As the previous poster mentioned, a significant proportion of the exam is similar to biology. I particularly found the genetics question very easy after covering it in biology. But if you're up for putting in the workload in a year I'd say go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LFC Paddy

yesman2000 wrote: »
    I did it in one year and got an A1, so it is possible to do ok in within the year.

It's true to say it's 1/3 biology, maybe even more except it's a bit watered-down to be honest.

I didn't do geo so i can't comment, but i avoided the soil question, which comes up every year.

If you are any way interested in farming it'll be fairly easy, if not; it's very doable. Just need to familiarise yourself with some of the farming lingo.

YER I'm a farmer its in the blood, didn't do it in 5th coz we were told we could only do 7 subjects but as so few did it they put ag science in the study slots and and i was told they couldn't accept anyone but as 2 ppl left I asked and they said I could now if I wanted.

dcam wrote: »
    I did it in a year too and got an A1 so it is manageable in a year. However I will warn you that the project takes up a LOT of time, it probably was a little easier for me to get it done as I was repeating when I took up ag science so I was only revising for all other subjects. As the previous poster mentioned, a significant proportion of the exam is similar to biology. I particularly found the genetics question very easy after covering it in biology. But if you're up for putting in the workload in a year I'd say go for it :)

Cheers, probly will do it been looking at the exam papers and looks doable surprised by how short the paper is, any ideas how much you wrote for a question, like an A4 page. I'm a bit ignorant and want to know more about it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

LFC Paddy wrote: »
    YER I'm a farmer its in the blood, didn't do it in 5th coz we were told we could only do 7 subjects but as so few did it they put ag science in the study slots and and i was told they couldn't accept anyone but as 2 ppl left I asked and they said I could now if I wanted.

Yeah you'll be grand. The IFJ is better than any text book

• Advertisement

yesman2000 wrote: »
    Yeah you'll be grand. The IFJ is better than any text book

Hahahaha thats good i read it every week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ATM I'm doing 6 honors and OL Irish. My only weak subject in Higher is English, in 5th I averaged a C1 with very little study and to be honest I think I fluked it, I didn't study for the tests and the tests were fairly easy as she practically told us the test, even then I didn't study :o

I think I'm alright at it and I'll probably get a B3 but with a lot of work (which I'm willing to put in) but it will be VERY time consuming for the grade like for my Biology I'll probably put in the same time but I'm an A average in that so the work will be worth it. Also the A average students work sound WAYYYY better than mine, whenever they are read in class I nearly always have to read after them and mine sounds sh1t in comparison even though I get Cs for them

I'm just wandering should I drop english and pick up Ag Science which I heard is easy. I've been told its 1/3 Biology and 1/3 Geo and as I'm good at those subjects I thought it might get me more points than English.

How easy is Ag Science? Is it easy to pick up in a year? Any help would be great :) Even if I do take up Ag Science I'll probably keep English up till the mock but it would be good to have a good back up as I'm not counting Irish

Sorry I rambled on a bit there

Won't you need English for college entry requirements???

Won't you need English for college entry requirements???

My main choices are in Scotland and I've been talking to them and they said it doesn't matter what I do in higher as long as I get the grades. The only subject they won't count is Irish. I have a few subjects I'm thinking of doing as back up in Ireland and I will have to look them up to see if OL english is fine. Been talking to my parents and I'm going to be doing Ag Science but I will probably keep English Higher up till the mock and see how I'll do. Cheers for the heads up, also been reading your previous posts which I find very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Im taking up ag science this year :) do you have to get work experience on a farn and is there an interview? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

dcam wrote: »

Is the project do-able by yourself? I'm not a farmer myself but I live out the country so I would have access to plenty of farms. This is the only aspect of taking up the subject that I'm worried about. :(

• Advertisement

Im taking up ag science this year :) do you have to get work experience on a farn and is there an interview? :)

I've been looking it up, as far as I know you have to but you can bluff. It would be harder though. An examiner comes sometime to your school and say there are 30 students he/she will pick out 4 and question the person to make sure they did their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My main choices are in Scotland and I've been talking to them and they said it doesn't matter what I do in higher as long as I get the grades. The only subject they won't count is Irish. I have a few subjects I'm thinking of doing as back up in Ireland and I will have to look them up to see if OL english is fine. Been talking to my parents and I'm going to be doing Ag Science but I will probably keep English Higher up till the mock and see how I'll do. Cheers for the heads up, also been reading your previous posts which I find very helpful
    I think the confusion may be because you said you were thinking of dropping English, rather than dropping (levels) **in ** English.

Which I guess kinda backs up your point in a way! :p

Charlie, AFAIR you have to do farm visits, not necessarily work experience. You're expected to be familiar with the day-to-day workings of a farm; I don't think having worked on one yourself is a requirement, it would make the subject impossible for many urban youngsters.

Have a browse through this thread, very useful info, (mostly from RBT).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 seanielc2014

I think you should do it . Fairly easy to be honest.. If I was you id probably just tear through the project , im doing it at the moment and im learning more from it than I did all last year .. Best of Luck !!

Advertisement