Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JBL Cristalprofi e900 not working

Options
  • 20-08-2013 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi there...

As discussed in my other thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056952216), I'm starting out with my first Aquarium, and just got a second hand tank for free, along with a pump and heater etc.

The pump is a JBL Cristalprofi e900 and I just tested it this evening and it's not working. I fully 'primed' it, but when I plug it in nothing happens. No noise, no movement of water. I tried a different plug/fuse with no luck and I took the pump head off and had a look at it while plugged in, but the 'fan' underneath it isn't turning.

My next step is to follow the JBL instructions to clean/reseat the 'impeller' to see if that helps. If it doesn't, does anyone have any other suggetstions? Can they be repaired (and by who), or am I looking at getting a new one?

Thanks...

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I think you're looking at a new one unfortunately. I'm not aware of an option to have them repaired.

TBH, I don't think cleaning and reseating the impeller will make any difference unless it is visibly tangled in something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for your reply... Unfortunately I think you might be right, I can't get a peep out of it...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭paddym1

I don't know about external filters, I had a similar problem recently with a Juwel internal filter which had been stopped for a while. No sound or movement at all when plugged in. I was told that these motors tend to "stick", and to plug it in and then give it a sharp tap (or two) around where the electrical wire goes in. He did try to explain about hitting it in the right direction etc., but I didn;t fully understand so I tried from several directions....it worked perfectly for me and is still going strong after 2 weeks. So I guess it's worth trying.

Thanks Paddy, sure I'll give it a shot!

J.

May be worth opening up the pump unit if you can. I have two of these filters but never had issues so didn't need to do any surgery. There may be something as simple as a disconnected wire that you could solder.

What are you doing for a filter in the meantime.

• Advertisement

Yep, I'm tackling the pump tonight, didn't have time last night. So I'll open it up and see if it's anything obvious...

Thankfully this is my first aquarium, so while it's annoying (and possibly expensive) that the filter might be dead, I'm in no rush to get it sorted as I don't have a tank up and running (the tank is in the back garden full of water for a 'leak' test at the moment).

Even if it is dead and I have to buy a new one, I got it for free in the first place so I've no complaints!

J.

Had some good luck tonight! Took out the Impeller and cleaned it up a bit, removing some dirt and gunk from it, the shaft and the chamber. Put a bit of vaseline around it and put it all back together and Robert's your Mother's Brother, one working pump! :)

Left it on for a few hours and it behaved itself perfectly, couldn't even hear it! Got the tank a bit cleaner too, it's gonna take a while before it's as clean as I'd like.

Thanks for the advice...

J.

Nice one. Give it a good test to make sure it's ok. You don't want it to go tit$ up when the tank is full of fish.

No worries, it'll be running for a few weeks while I'm getting the water conditions right before any fish go near it, so it'll have a good test then...

J.

Advertisement