Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on switching courses?

Options
  • 20-08-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

I got offered Building Services Engineering in Bolton Street yesterday. While I'm glad I got something and hearing it's a great course all the same, I can't help feeling a bit disappointed since I was hoping more for Automotive Management, Transport Operations or Aviation Technology. I don't see myself finishing the full 3 years or being content with it, wondering what I'm missing out on the other courses.

However my brother is finishing off Mechanical Engineering and said that since most of these engineering and technology courses share many common subjects, there's some possibility that I can switch courses after a year or so, provided that I keep up full attendance and decent project + exam results which eitherway I'm fully willing to do. I'm just wondering if someone can give me a bit more detailed info on this and the requirements for switching? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

are you entering first year through the CAO. If so ring Admissions 402 3445 - they will advise and are very helpful . Do you have the points and entry requirements for the course you want. They can also advise if transfer would be possible in first year

Alternative then may be to complete one year and apply for advanced entry...again try admissions 01 402 3302...they will advise if this would be possible etc

hope this helps http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/advancedentry/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Garzard

are you entering first year through the CAO. If so ring Admissions 402 3445 - they will advise and are very helpful . Do you have the points and entry requirements for the course you want. They can also advise if transfer would be possible in first year

Alternative then may be to complete one year and apply for advanced entry...again try admissions 01 402 3302...they will advise if this would be possible etc

hope this helps http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/advancedentry/

Yes, applied through CAO. I have the points for Automotive Technology and several other engineering courses I applied to in DIT but short on requirements and on points for Transport Operations and Aviation Technology. I unfortunately failed Maths. If doing well on Building Services eg. full attendance and top marks on exams and assignments is enough to persuade them to let me switch after a year then I'd rather not repeat Maths again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

ah ok...best to ring Admissions. Be patient as they are very busy but they are great. You can also call into the School if you wish.
    You never know you might like the course

Just remember these deadlines if you do think to leave/defer http://www.dit.ie/studentservices/registration/deferwithdraw

Advertisement