Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What riding boots for my tack?

Options
  • 20-08-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭

I have a lovely chocolate brown saddle and bridle - but my jodhpur boots are black and I'm looking at getting a new pair of black leather chaps. Will I look okay or should I go for brown (changing my jodh boots to brown too?)? We're not doing anything too serious - local shows and hopefully some hunting this season. Silly question I know but I'm quite confused about the whole thing! :p :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

:D

I'm terrible with the whole matching thing. It's purely fluke if the saddle and bridle match, never mind the boots. I think it's entirely up to you. If you can afford new boots and chaps and if it's gonna bother you, go on ahead. If not, meh, I don't think anyone's going to pass much remark. I wouldn't have even thought of it before now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Okay maybe I'll just stick with my black boots and get new black chaps! :o It'll probably look okay - the tack is very chocolately and dark and I could learn to live with the (in my mind) clashing colours.

I just think I'd never carry a black handbag if I was wearing brown shoes or vice versa. :o:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Never occurred to me to "match" but then we don't do showing. Black boots for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Maybe that's where my problem lies... I'm terribly unfashionable since I spend 90% of my time in jodhpurs or tracksuit bottoms.

It's not so much to have them "match" but just that we wouldn't look odd, if that makes sense? My saddle and bridle are different brands so they don't really match, they're just vaguely the same colour. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

I thought that you had to wear black boots for showing regardless of the colour of your tack?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

ohh its great being a fella and not worrying about these decisions!!!

But, when we have a pony in a showing class we match everything, boots / hat / saddle / bridle / lead rein etc are all black.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Brown tack and black boots are correct for showing (and hunting)

But I don't think it really matters does it? Never occurred to me to match tack with my attire at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Val.
    Most of the showing dress code is based on tradition.

Children wore Jod Boots with Jodphurs .
    Over 16 its Full Length Black Boots.
    Members of Hunt Staff wore Brown Tops(brown leather 4 inch strip at top)

Gaiters( Now refered to as Chaps) are for schooling only as they would only have been worn by Grooms.
    Chaps are what you see cowboys wear Full Leather apart from the seat of your pants)

Brown full length boots should only be worn by members of the Military when their uniform is Green.
    Therefore under no circumstances are you to buy Brown boots and gaiters to match your saddle .
    You will definitely look odd:D

If you are going to spend money wait until you can afford a real classic pair is Leather boots and buy them. You will have them for life. Mine will hit 28 this december and are still going strong.

Thank you Esroh that explains everything! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I love brown leather. Used to wear brown leather gaiters and brown jod boots for jumping as the pony was bay with brown tack. I liked how it looked :)

for showing though its more strict on turnout though and depends on the class you are doing and what you are wearing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Like fits, I'd never have thought to try and have all my 'gear' matching (apart from tie, gloves and helmet cover or hat matching my jacket for showing.

Black boots are much more versatile, correct and acceptable for all varieties of equestrian activities, as highlighted above, so I'd definitely go with them. If, however, you have extra cash lying around, then you could always buy a pair of brown boots/chaps for 'every day' and a 'good' pair of black ones for outings, such as hunting, showing, etc.

Advertisement