Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S3 Screen Replacement

• 20-08-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭

So I cracked my screen/digitizer and I found this on eBay. I'm fairly confident I can do the replacement myself, it's not brain surgery, but I was wondering if all digitizers are the same, or are there differences between regions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Once its the same model no. you should be fine. My wifes s3 digitiser is broken too. Feckin yokes are way too fragile. This used to be a non issue with the old blockias and now we have to stump up hundreds if we drop the phone! If they insist on making the digitisers out of the most fragile glass on earth then they could at least make them cheap to replace.
    Sorry for the rant. Its been bugging me lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

@ shedweller

buy a decent case like This

I have one and my wife as well, both phones have made it through two kids since we got them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anyone know if it's possible to replace The band around the outside of the s3 without swapping entire chassis?
    I mean the strip that runs right around the phone and the volume and on off buttons are located within it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

mickdw wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to replace The band around the outside of the s3 without swapping entire chassis?
    I mean the strip that runs right around the phone and the volume and on off buttons are located within it?

Yes, it's called the Middle Frame Bezel.

I bought the one i originally posted, and just noticed that there is no "Samsung" above the screen, but the seller is saying it's definitely an original, so we'll see how it goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

My OH's digitizer has broken twice, both by very gentle falls. The price of the part and the likelihood of breaking it again is enough to put me off buying a Samsung.

I've dropped my Xperia T on concrete twice with no screen protector or cover and it's been fine. Galaxy's are fantastic phones but not for an clumsy oaf like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I just broke my digitiser trying to replace the broken glass.. Ended up heading out and buying the S4. Expensive mistake and I'll know next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

OREGATO wrote: »
    I just broke my digitiser trying to replace the broken glass.. Ended up heading out and buying the S4. Expensive mistake and I'll know next time!

Why not get a new screen and digitizer with the frame for the S3

Yes, it's called the Middle Frame Bezel.

I bought the one i originally posted, and just noticed that there is no "Samsung" above the screen, but the seller is saying it's definitely an original, so we'll see how it goes!
    Thanks but is the digitiser and glass stuck to this part or can they be easily disassembled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Guys, I would watch this video first, for replacing the digitizer on the S3...it is the US version, but I think it applies:

I hope ye like the sound of breaking glass!!!!

It seems a scary operation, and i would not like to undertake it myself....good luck

Yes it does seem that the middle chassis is bonded to the digitiser meaning that changing the middle chassis just to improve appearance is not really a runner as digitiser damage is very likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sofitalliah

Is there anyone capable of changing just the glass on a S3? I don't fancy making a bolox of it.

If you have all the parts, i can imagine that those repair shops will only charge €20-€40, seems fairly straight forward if you have a heat gun and the proper tools.

I will be changing mine soon myself.
    It will be replaced without the optical glue between screen and digitiser. If not successful, I will have to get a compete digitiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

If you have all the parts, i can imagine that those repair shops will only charge €20-€40, seems fairly straight forward if you have a heat gun and the proper tools.

My friend who fixes all types of phones regularly was tried to replace just the glass recently. He had all the necessary equipment and still broke the LCD. He said it's a very risky job and not straightforward at all. ID say it's a very low chance of success unless you have a lot of experience with that sort of thing.

On a different note, my gf's s3 is not getting calls, just notifications that the call was missed. Anyone know how to fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Chewabacca wrote: »
    My friend who fixes all types of phones regularly was tried to replace just the glass recently. He had all the necessary equipment and still broke the LCD. He said it's a very risky job and not straightforward at all. ID say it's a very low chance of success unless you have a lot of experience with that sort of thing.

On a different note, my gf's s3 is not getting calls, just notifications that the call was missed. Anyone know how to fix it?

Yeah, I replaced a digitizer, on a different Samsung galaxy, the Wonder, i8150....it was a Chinese replacement digitizer.....

I got it installed OK, but the SOB never worked right since, it's still in a drawer at home.

Touch Screen just so much less sensitive, and no way to change it, so basically, phone useless for stuff like browsing, etc.

I'd just say, be careful, look at the video I posted, or other vids, there are many on YT......

Probably should have updated it, the screen came after about 3 1/2 weeks, and i set to work using the video in this thread. So simple to take apart, but i managed to break the ribbon cable going from the front camera to the proximity & light sensors. But, as for the screen, a few minutes with a hair-dryer and lots of tiny shards of lcd later, i had my phone put back together and working fine.

I then got a replacement front camera and sensors delivered for €13 and they were simple to replace. Phone working perfect again. Also, to get a replacement rear camera is only €10... I think that's madness!

Anyhoo, anything else that breaks i'll replace myself until the contract is up and i can get me an S5.

Advertisement