Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loosing weight and toning up

• 20-08-2013 11:04pm
    Site Banned Posts: 21

Hey I'm looking for advice on how to loose weight and tone up.
    I'm 18 and weigh about 12 st I'm looking on advice on how to loose weight what excercises I can do without a gym membership. I have weights and kettle bells.
    I'm vegetarian so would like advice on what foods to eat and also how to stop my coca-cola addiction or could I replace it with coke zero ect

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭theSHU

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is the most effective method to burning fat. Examples include spinning, hill sprints, sprinting 1min on, 1min off etc.

Also do pullups, dips, pushups/bench press, squats etc. to gain muscle/toning.

Drink diet coke. Coke is a good example of why you shouldn't necessarily believe in advertised low fat foods; its nutrional information says its fat free but yet has 10 teaspoons of sugar per can and will make you obese in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

theSHU wrote: »
    Drink diet coke. Coke is a good example of why you shouldn't necessarily believe in advertised low fat foods; its nutrional information says its fat free but yet has 10 teaspoons of sugar per can and will make you obese in no time.
    I've never seen coco-cola advertising the regular coke as far-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

theSHU wrote: »

Really? Drink Diet Coke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

i managed to give up coke last year. once you stop drinking it you won't even like it anymore. I made an effort to replace it with juices or if i had to fanta or other fruit flavored fizzy drinks, once i'd stopped drinking coke I started replacing other drinks with water.

Look up killercoke it's a lot easier to give stuff up when you see the human cost of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Really? Drink Diet Coke?

Coke zero would be best, if you have to drink coke. Water would be better still.

http://simplesciencefitness.com/
    ^^ good website for general info on diet and exercise. There is also a lot of info in the stickies in this forum. If you want to work out from home you can do bodyweight exercises or buy some equipment that will allow you to do compound weights such as bench, press, squat, deadlift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Really? Drink Diet Coke?
    Yes.
    The OP drinks a lot of Coke, and the biggest issue is obviously the sugar. Switching to diet/zero is a huge improvement on the front.

Losing fat/toning up will come down to diet. Diet coke might not be a positive, but I doubt it's the issue holding anyone back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hey I'm looking for advice on how to loose weight and tone up.
    I'm 18 and weigh about 12 st I'm looking on advice on how to loose weight what excercises I can do without a gym membership. I have weights and kettle bells.
    I'm vegetarian so would like advice on what foods to eat and also how to stop my coca-cola addiction or could I replace it with coke zero ect

Thanks

What height are you? If you're male and weigh 12 stone I'd be surprised if you'd need to lose much weight as that seems like a pretty decent weight.
    You should try the Insanity workout, you'll lose fat and gain definition at the same time. Its really hard though. Plenty of sample videos of it up on Youtube.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 LuisSuarezLFC

siblers wrote: »
    What height are you? If you're male and weigh 12 stone I'd be surprised if you'd need to lose much weight as that seems like a pretty decent weight.
    You should try the Insanity workout, you'll lose fat and gain definition at the same time. Its really hard though. Plenty of sample videos of it up on Youtube.

5'7

I want a 6 pack. I have a big of a gut and I am sick of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Educate yourself, its easier to get the results you want when you know what you're doing. Nutrition and Exercise go hand in hand.

Read about nutrition, start a good exercise routine and be consistent, the fat will melt from you're body.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 LuisSuarezLFC

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Educate yourself, its easier to get the results you want when you know what you're doing. Nutrition and Exercise go hand in hand.

Read about nutrition, start a good exercise routine and be consistent, the fat will melt from you're body.

What type of excercises should you do, their is so many on google I don't know which will work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

What type of excercises should you do, their is so many on google I don't know which will work

Like you have found out, there are plenty of different exercises that you can perform.

You should pick an exercise routine, this gives structure to you're workouts. There are many routines available. For example you could lift weights 3 days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) and go for a light jog/walk on the Tue and Thurs thus giving you the weekend to rest and recover. search the web for 3 days routines. This is just an example.

As for exercises - bench press, squats, shoulder press, press-ups, pull-ups,kettle bell dead lift. YouTube can show you how to perform these exercises properly and safely.

As for the Coke, if you must drink coke have a Coke Zero instead.

The best thing you can do is gain a basic understanding of nutrition and exercise. It will make everything much easier and you will understand why you are eating a certain food or performing a particular exercise instead of just doing it. Understand that it will take months not weeks to reach you're goal, so just give it time and work hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

5'7

I want a 6 pack. I have a big of a gut and I am sick of it

It's ridiculously hard to out-train a bad diet and your 6 pack will originate in the kitchen. You need to get your diet sorted as a priority. Take a look at the stickies here for info on how much to eat and in what ratios. Track what you eat using an app like myfitnesspal.

You said you have weights at home, so can you start a beginner routine like starting strength or stronglifts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's ridiculously hard to out-train a bad diet and your 6 pack will originate in the kitchen. You need to get your diet sorted as a priority.
    Too often underestimated by people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kid is 18 folks, he doesn't need a pitch perfect diet.

You can achieve a lot by regularly doing the following:

Sleep

Don't be up till all hours. 8 hours plus a night. Sleep is great.

Diet

Drink lots of water
    Eat solidly four times a day with proper meals
    Ask your mam (if you don't shop yourself) for a bag of nuts and seeds (almonds, walnuts, raisins sort of idea) in the shopping and have a handful or two of that for snacks
    Don't make 'vegetarian' = 'lots of bread and junk but no meat'. Eat lots of veg and fruit, have plenty of eggs and cheese, drink full fat milk, eat nuts. Add in a bit of fish maybe if you're okay with that
    There is a temptation to call a plate of chips or four slices of toast a 'meal'. It's not the end of the world if you like bread or chips, etc but it should be a compliment to a meal not the focus
    Don't worry about the odd bit of junk every now and again. If there's a nice dessert on offer go for it. Just don't go through half a pack of biscuits, two bars and a pack of crisps watching the TV every night.

Don't obsess, just do better here. You know when you're taking the piss or not.

Think about learning to cook. You can get vegetarian cook books in the likes of easons, you can go on youtube / google 'simple vegetarian dishes' and try them out. Things that come out of packaging in the freezer are bad. If you learn to cook properly now it'll make all the difference to your long term health.

Stretching / mobility

Google / youtube 'glute', 'hip', 'quad', 'hamstring', 'shoulder' stretching and mobility. Watch the videos, etc and figure out a five - ten minute routine you do before your main session of exercise each day

Bodyweight exercises througout the day

Push Ups: 10 sets of 10 throughout the day
    Sit Ups (proper, no cheating on both exercises): 10 sets of 15 throughout the day
    Burpees: 2 sets of 50 throughout the day (just keep moving as best you can)

No fanfare needed here. You can drop to the floor with the TV on, do a set or two first thing in the morning or before bed. Just do it numerous times a day. 10 pushups and 15 sit ups isn't a big deal, takes three minutes, can be done anywhere around the house

Sprints

Go and find a GAA / Football pitch. Walk out 10 yards, 20 yards, 40 yards from a starting line and drop a tracksuit top or bag. Do 20 ten yard sprints; 10 20 yard sprints and 5 40 yard sprints max effort with a timed rest of 30 seconds between each one (use your phone). Rest for five minutes, then do shuttles: 3 rounds of to the 10 and back; 20 and back; 40 and back. You won't be breaking any world records but keep moving as fast as you can and do it three times a week.

Weights

For your dumbells and kettlebells, google / youtube:

kettlebell swings
    goblet squat
    kettlebell / dumbell deadlift
    standing shoulder press
    dumbell floor press
    dumbell row

start as light as you can, aiming for three sets of five with good form having done your stretching beforehand. Use your phone to take a video of you doing the exercises and compare to what you saw on youtube. Then gradually add weight (if you can) or reps each time

Metcons

Now, to 'burn fat', assuming you're not eating dreadfully, you're getting your bodyweight exercises in and you're doing your sprints and weights numerous times a week put it all together for 10 - 20 minute sessions where you combine various elements. Some examples:

10 minute cap:

As many rounds of 5 Burpees, 10 situps, 15 kettlebell swings as you can manage

3 Shoulder Presses
    3 Sit Ups
    3 Kettlebell Swings
    6 Shoulder Presses
    6 Sit Ups
    6 Kettlebell Swings

etc, 20 minute work time

15 minute cap:

3 rounds of:

run the edge of half a football pitch
    20 Push Ups
    30 Sit Ups

etc, etc. All out effort. You'll be in a state after these even if they sound easy. But the benefits are huge, trust me. And it's only 20 minutes with a minimum of equipment required to get a great workout.

===============

Eat proper food, drink lots of water, sleep loads, exercise regularly and relax and treat yourself every now and again. You won't know yourself in six months. Good luck.

Advertisement