Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contents Insurance

Options
  • 20-08-2013 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm soon to be moving to Dublin long term and will be renting, I've lived in a very safe area until now so haven't worried about insurance etc but I'm aware of a bit of theft happening so think it might be safest to insure my stuff.

I think at any one point I wouldn't have more than €5000 worth of stuff, I looked at http://www.getcover.ie/ and they require a minimum contents value of €15,000. I'd probably end up just covering my own stuff unless my room mates show an interest but that would be the 33% of the required contents.

How does this work? If I buy this cover am I over-valuing my stuff and facing a void policy in the event of theft?

Also, has anyone used getcover.ie? Are they OK? Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

They cost the premium based on the amount of cover you require; €15k is just the cheapest premium they offer. Its got nothing to do with you over valuing your contents.

Ive never used getcover but I can recommend RSA. I pay €130 a year for €20k cover, but that includes everything I might have outside of the home as well as inside (ie phone, bike, laptop, camera etc). Not every insurer will offer the external cover; for me thats essential (at any one time I could have have 3-4 or maybe even more items on me that would each be worth several times the cost of the cover).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

djimi wrote: »
    They cost the premium based on the amount of cover you require; €15k is just the cheapest premium they offer. Its got nothing to do with you over valuing your contents.

Ive never used getcover but I can recommend RSA. I pay €130 a year for €20k cover, but that includes everything I might have outside of the home as well as inside (ie phone, bike, laptop, camera etc). Not every insurer will offer the external cover; for me thats essential (at any one time I could have have 3-4 or maybe even more items on me that would each be worth several times the cost of the cover).

So if your iPhone gets stolen on the street they'll cover it?
    That ain't bad considering how much iPhone insurance is in itself.

Scortho wrote: »

Yeah I had to name my phone and my bike (with serial/IMEI numbers) on the policy, but they were the only items I had to specify. Everything is covered both inside and outside of the home. Its a cracking policy in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Scortho wrote: »

Phone insurance is high due to breakages/water damage being the main claims rather than theft. Usually phones covered on home policies are against theft alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

MYOB wrote: »
    Phone insurance is high due to breakages/water damage being the main claims rather than theft. Usually phones covered on home policies are against theft alone.

I'd risk that.
    I'm doing a quick tot up and it's rare that I'd have less than a grand in technology on an average college day on my person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I think at any one point I wouldn't have more than €5000 worth of stuff,

Double check what you're insuring. I was shocked at one stage where I worked out the cost of replacing just underwear and shoes alone, and that was before I even got on to the likes of coats/jackets/ordinary clothes. Then count your books, bedding, towels, gadgets, CDs/DVDs. Bear in mind that while you might initially move up with just a suitcase or two, over the year you might find you're bringing more and more pieces from home with you.

MYOB wrote: »

I *think* that my cover includes damage as well as loss/theft, but Im not 100% certain and I dont have the policy to hand to check.

To be honest, even if is just theft Im still more than happy with it. The phone cover wasnt the reason I took out the policy; more of an added bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Gormal

OP have a look at FBD although their basic cover is 10,000. Shop around as it can vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

123.ie offer external cover as well, which includes accidental breakage etc. My gf accidentally left her phone in a taxi and was subsequently stolen and they covered it. They even said if I tripped and put my foot through the flat screen at home it's covered. Pretty good I'd say.

Advertisement