Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion] contd

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Lovely scene with Ken and Steve at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Did anyone else laugh out loud when Ken said "She never was one for muesli... she did like an egg"?

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be funny, but it was a lovely little line - like something from an Alan Bennett monologue. Coronation Street used to be full of that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

hoodwinked wrote: »
    the lead up and the first half was farcical, Anne deserved much better than that weak storyline,

however the aftermath, especially that scene with Ken and steve was heartbreaking and well done! :(

i thought the acting was rather poor but it is a very personal thing to some of them so hard to get into character.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That must have been a hard episode to film especially for the actors who play Ken, Liz and Audrey as they were very close to her

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

had a lump in my throath when Ken went into the kitchen with her glasses and again when Steve hugged him :o

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    That must have been a hard episode to film especially for the actors who play Ken, Liz and Audrey as they were very close to her

Kate Ford would have been just as close as any of them. No doubt Kym Marsh and antony Cotton will try steal a bit of the publicity around the sad events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

I'm sure for a lot of them it'll be like reliving the real life events all over again.

Tonight's episode was tough to watch, All those tears were real :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Have to say Emily had me in tears tonight. Her and Ken were superb tonight. R.I.P. Deirdre

Kate Ford would have been just as close as any of them. No doubt Kym Marsh and antony Cotton will try steal a bit of the publicity around the sad events.

Yes too much bloody Michelle as usual :mad: no need

• Advertisement

KKkitty wrote: »
    Have to say Emily had me in tears tonight. Her and Ken were superb tonight. R.I.P. Deirdre

Oh I lost it when Emily threw her head into her hands :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Have to say I didn't find it that emotional at all. Not nearly as emotional as when Jack or Vera died!

Also I found Bev really irritating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Oh I lost it when Emily threw her head into her hands :o

Don't think much actual acting happened with the cast members who would have acted scenes regularly with Anne Kirkbride. I'm sure it was horribly easy to get upset filming those scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Have to say I didn't find it that emotional at all. Not nearly as emotional as when Jack or Vera died!

Also I found Bev really irritating!!

I have to agree, bar Ken at the end. I ven thought (and terrible to say) tracys lines seemed forced. Although that's writing I suppose.

Bevs acting was terrible, too forced with her over emphasised swallowing and stuff. What else was bev in?

I have to agree, bar Ken at the end. I ven thought (and terrible to say) tracys lines seemed forced. Although that's writing I suppose.

Bevs acting was terrible, too forced with her over emphasised swallowing and stuff. What else was bev in?

She was also in:
    Charlie Stubbs bed
    and
    Fred Elliots bed

Two rather different personalities!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I lost it when Liz announced Deirdre had passed away to the Rovers...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Just logged on to post the same, felt it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

It just felt right, that she rang the bell, then made the announcement, it's heart breaking tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭threetrees

The glasses, it was reminiscent of Hilda Ogden with Stan's belongings all those years ago. Sad and significant in both real life and in soapland.

Why did Carla say Deirdre was closest thing to a mother in law she ever had? Wasn't Michelle's mother her mother in law?

when Liz said twice that Deirdre was her best friend I kept thinking doesn't she say that about Erica too?Also I know Eileen went to the bistro with Les Dennis(cant remember the characters name)but I thought she was closer to deirdre than Liz I thought she should have been in the Rovers.

• Advertisement

threetrees wrote: »
    The glasses, it was reminiscent of Hilda Ogden with Stan's belongings all those years ago. Sad and significant in both real life and in soapland.

Why did Carla say Deirdre was closest thing to a mother in law she ever had? Wasn't Michelle's mother her mother in law?

Theres a Hell of a difference between mothers and mothers in law!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

I said the exact same thing. Carla was married to Michelle's brother Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Maybe Michelle's parents didn't get on with Carla?

On a side note- I thought it was nice that all the characters were saying nice things and sharing memories of Deirdre before her party and before they found out she had passed away. It must have been weird for all of the characters filming the scenes being excited for Deirdre's return and preparing for her party knowing that Anne had passed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I'm a bit disappoined with last night even though I thought Ken's and Eileen's tears were genuine, and I think the scene with Ken & Steve at the end was very genuine.

But.... Liz annoyed me with the "she was my best friend" lines, it came over as a bit egotisitcal. Bev seemed to have forgotten how to act, Tracey can't act. I also thought the scene with the glasses was wrong as so many of us will link that to Stan & Hilda straight away. If Bev had brought over Deirdre's half empty pack of fags that would have been a bit different. Yes, Eileen should have been in the pub as well, they were good friends. And the biggest annoyance was when they delivered the line that she died, they cut straight to a commercial break, I thought that was awful.

Having said that, when Bev was at the door and coming into the sitting room I had an awful feeling of dread inside me, I tend to get a tight feeling in my neck and weakish legs when I think something awful is about to happen or has happened, and I got that last night. Which was all a bit strange seeing that we already knew what was coming.

Anyway, we'll just see how the funeral goes, lets hope there's no dramatics.

and Deirdre's last words on Corrie "Jelly shouldn't run, it should wobble!"

How true. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Red Kev wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappoined with last night even though I thought Ken's and Eileen's tears were genuine, and I think the scene with Ken & Steve at the end was very genuine.

But.... Liz annoyed me with the "she was my best friend" lines, it came over as a bit egotisitcal. Bev seemed to have forgotten how to act, Tracey can't act. I also thought the scene with the glasses was wrong as so many of us will link that to Stan & Hilda straight away. If Bev had brought over Deirdre's half empty pack of fags that would have been a bit different. Yes, Eileen should have been in the pub as well, they were good friends. And the biggest annoyance was when they delivered the line that she died, they cut straight to a commercial break, I thought that was awful.

Having said that, when Bev was at the door and coming into the sitting room I had an awful feeling of dread inside me, I tend to get a tight feeling in my neck and weakish legs when I think something awful is about to happen or has happened, and I got that last night. Which was all a bit strange seeing that we already knew what was coming.

Anyway, we'll just see how the funeral goes, lets hope there's no dramatics.

and Deirdre's last words on Corrie "Jelly shouldn't run, it should wobble!"

How true. :)

Well she went out with a bang I suppose and I also suppose they didn't know she was going to die, but its still a shame her final words on the show weren't more dignified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So her mother in law was that Irish wagon. Not exactly the motherly kind was she?

I thought Carla said Deirdre was the nicest one of that family i.e. Barlows to her, I didn't hear her mention mother but could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I think the nonsense storyline of Callum and Sarah should have been left out last night. As this was a truly sad story, where Anne Kirkbride/ Deirdre has actually, sadly, died, I found their scenes even more jarring and uninteresting than ever.
    I would like to have seen more of the characters, especially the older characters, talk about Deirdre, and their memories of her, rather than that nonsense being interspersed among the scenes related to Deirdre's sad death.
    Emily, I would say was truly emotional, and that was conveyed quite powerfully, with her being unable to finish speaking. I liked the scene at the end, also, with Steve and Ken.
    I didn't understand why Eileen would go off to The Bistro with Michael, instead of wanting to be there when Deirdre was due to return, as they were good friends. I know she said she would drop into the party later, but The Bistro scenes also were just fillers, in my opinion.
    I can just see some sort of budding romance between Eileen and Michael being shoved into scenes around Deirdre's funeral. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Aw, poor Emily. Heart went out to her, and Ken at the end.

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappoined with last night even though I thought Ken's and Eileen's tears were genuine
    Eileen doesn't know yet does she?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement