Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion] contd

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Here is my take of how it could / should of been done.

There should have been no sudden death. (by that I mean no offscreen death)
    Perhaps a sudden aneurysm which left her with a few days to live and a stroke related to it rendering her without the capacity to speak. Have the various characters close to deirdre "visit her" in her dying last few days in hospital. Of course this would require the actors/actresses speak to a Deirdre we can not see as the "body of Deirdre" could not be obviously shown.

Have two episodes or so of the characters in the hospital. Liz, Steve (on behalf of Amy), Ken, Peter, Simon, Tracy, Roy, Emily, Bev (terrible actress, mind). I can't think of anyone else that would be justified to be there. (Even Roy would be imposing a bit)

Make it a bit more cheerful/nostalgic but poignant/sad at the same time. Have a hand representing Deirdre so whilst the actors are speaking to her as she lays in bed (the scenario is she is able to understand them, not reply to them due to her voice..........I know it sounds a bit complicated but it could have easily be done)

Have ken on his own "speaking to her" Happy and sad memories, promises to mind Tracy/grandchildren. Have him declare his love etc.
    Ditto with Tracy, let the event of her speaking her last few words to her mother make her realise how pathetic her way of life is.
    Let Amy and Simon go in with Peter and Steve, make it sad obviously but lighten the mood somewhat with a happy story.
    Same with Emily and Roy.
    Have the few cast that are at the hospital also discuss the events in the waiting area as the time goes by to split the scenes up.
    final scene have the doctor approach Ken and make it known to him Deirdre has passed away. He walks in and leans over as if to kiss the head of Deirdre and walks out of the room crying.

Credits roll in silence.

No Camp Callum, no pathetic and predictable and ever growingly unfunny remarks from Norris

No gambling escapades from Carla

No Michelle.

just an episode (well a half 7 and half 8 episode) dedicated to Deirdre, her family and her passing.

I know the medical issues would have to be ironed out somewhat but it is a believable and doable scenario.

I thought of that in 10 minutes.

Blackburn and his crew have had 7 months.

SIGH.

Oh and of course have Liz in a scene with her, with her just discussing stuff fiends do in a nostalgic sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Have ken on his own "speaking to her" Happy and sad memories, promises to mind Tracy/grandchildren. Have him declare his love etc. Ditto with Tracy, let the event of her speaking her last few words to her mother make her realise how pathetic her way of life is. Let Amy and Simon go in with Peter and Steve, make it sad obviously but lighten the mood somewhat with a happy story. Same with Emily and Roy. Have the few cast that are at the hospital also discuss the events in the waiting area as the time goes by to split the scenes up. final scene have the doctor approach Ken and make it known to him Deirdre has passed away. He walks in and leans over as if to kiss the head of Deirdre and walks out of the room crying.

Make it a bit more cheerful/nostalgic but poignant/sad at the same time. Have a hand representing Deirdre so whilst the actors are speaking to her as she lays in bed (the scenario is she is able to understand them, not reply to them due to her voice..........I know it sounds a bit complicated but it could have easily be done)

No gambling escapades from Carla

just an episode (well a half 7 and half 8 episode) dedicated to Deirdre, her family and her passing.

I know that they work with the families in these circumstances to agree how the character will be written out. What you describe would have been better television but would have been hard for her real family and her close friends among the cast.
    One aspect that I thought was really bad was that Emily heard the news via an announcement in the pub. Surely as a long term close friend of both Ken she would have been told individually.
    Also had completely forgotten that Deirdre was responsible for Roy coming to the street. I don't think that they were particularly friendly in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

I see that Carla is being turned, in one short week, into a compulsive gambler.

I know little about this condition, but here's a tip from me to her.

Don't bet too much money on the intelligence of the Corrie writers. No-one ever got rich doing that.

I know that they work with the families in these circumstances to agree how the character will be written out. What you describe would have been better television but would have been hard for her real family and her close friends among the cast.
    One aspect that I thought was really bad was that Emily heard the news via an announcement in the pub. Surely as a long term close friend of both Ken she would have been told individually.
    Also had completely forgotten that Deirdre was responsible for Roy coming to the street. I don't think that they were particularly friendly in recent times.

I understand what you are saying but I find that this would be a far more respectul and poignant way for the character to pass. You have to remember it is the character that is passing, and that this storyline isn't sensationalist nor cruel nor vile. Going by those scenes, the whole "its all tracy's fault", "the silly door opening", the non suitable remarks by the character of Norris, you have to imagine that this was the work of the present writers, not the family. In fact, bar something disrespectul or sensationalist to kill her off, I am sure the family would have left it in the hands of the producers.

I can't imagine that this script i am proposing would have caused too much uproar/contoversy within Kirkbrides family tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

am I the only one to think it's strange that Ken or Tracy never went to be with Deirdre when they heard of her death? she's lying in a morgue on her own nobody with her I would be rushing to my mothers side to see her if it was me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I had the same thought, casio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Very disappointing so far. The writers have had time to come up with something far more fitting for one of their main characters. I'm finding most of it hard to watch and that's not because of the sad nature of the storyline. Didn't find Bev's announcement credible and like Casio says, surely Ken's first reaction would be to be with Deirdre. She'd only been gone a couple of hours at that stage. I thought the Quality Street tin was cringeworthy. They seriously expect us to believe that :mad:

As for bringing Tracey's ex husband(who nobody remembers) back at this stage:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭jaded_pause

casio4 wrote: »
    am I the only one to think it's strange that Ken or Tracy never went to be with Deirdre when they heard of her death? she's lying in a morgue on her own nobody with her I would be rushing to my mothers side to see her if it was me

It's not always that easy, having been through something similar recently myself, unfortunately the last thing I wanted to do (yet had to for identification purposes) was see the cold blue body of a passed loved one, it's not them anymore, it's just a meat sack, and it's really hard, I mean, the hardest thing I've ever been through. If I'd had the choice, I absolutely would not have. Sorry to be horrifically off topic and depressingly blunt but definitely don't do it if you don't have to.

casio4 wrote: »

The English do things differently. They don't feel the need to be with the dead person or even see the body. In America, the body is often cremated and the urn brought to the funeral.

• Advertisement

Kevin & Sally are getting back to together & getting married for the 3rd time
    :mad::mad::mad:

Nooooo
    they will just split again & poor Tim he will just be paired with Anna
    Tim & Sally are perfect together

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Nooooo

The second part of your spoiler, I could see that coming months ago. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

So disappointing all round :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Is Stuart Townsend just re doing what has already been done? Like no one has seen it before 2005?

Just caught up my god Sarah is some stupid cow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Nooooo

FFS that's just ridiculous - lazy writing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did Danny Dyer aka Mick say it in Eastenders at some stage?

Ya but he is cool enough to say it- the man could start singing phantom of the opera in the middle of the pub and it would still be cooler than Callum and his fake tough guy demeanor
    FFS that's just ridiculous - lazy writing!

not happy with that
    tim and sally are the best and funniest couple around and they are tearing them apart- and her back with kevin again- SNORE!

Gail lures Michael round to No.8, making out she's got a plumbing emergency. Will he fall for her trap?
    Later, Eileen surprises Michael with a lingering kiss.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Gail lures Michael round to No.8, making out she's got a plumbing emergency. Will he fall for her trap?
    Later, Eileen surprises Michael with a lingering kiss.
    :rolleyes:

Oh the excitement.......not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

The two ladies involved here just need to put him in the middle and both call him, see who he comes to.
    This storyline is a bit of a rehash too, didn't they do very similar with Scottish foot man Phil?

• Advertisement

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Oh the excitement.......not!

Complete drivel.
    Think I need a break from Corrie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

It feels very disrespectful to make Deirdre's final goodbye all about Tracy imo.

ShazGV wrote: »
    It feels very disrespectful to make Deirdre's final goodbye all about Tracy imo.

And adding insult to injury, IMO, sticking in the scenes with Callum and Bethany :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Stuart Townsend just re doing what has already been done? Like no one has seen it before 2005?

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/stuart.jpg

I'm afraid that Stuart has nothing to do with Corrie you mean Stuart Blackburn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

They should've had Deirdre involved in an accident on the way home. Then have her all bandaged up in the bed like Pam Ewing. They could've had the bedside tears then and Ken couldve said his goodbyes, before the dreaded beeps of the life support machine. Then Ken going into the dimly lit room to pay his respects closing the door behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

syklops wrote: »
    Well she went out with a bang I suppose and I also suppose they didn't know she was going to die, but its still a shame her final words on the show weren't more dignified.

I totally agree. She had been given some very silly lines for quite a while before that final bit of rubbish. It must have been humiliating for Anne Kirkbride after all the powerful scenes she had carried down through the years. I would not be surprised if having to act like an unhinged loon in that last scene was the straw that 'broke the camel's back'. What's more, she was hardly out the door when they were throwing Ken and Audrey together in those cringeworthy scenes about 'War and Peace'!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

ShazGV wrote: »

And the scene of Ken at the church
    rowing with Tracey! :( I'm actually feeling sorry for her during all of this. How much respect did Ken show for Deirdre by talking during the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

ya and Peter missing the funeral, whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

fin12 wrote: »
    ya and Peter missing the funeral, whats that about?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Was he not meant to be making a one off appearance for the funeral?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Was he not meant to be making a one off appearance for the funeral?

He was in the previews so must appear on Wed or Fri.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement