Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion] contd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Try and remember when ANY soap didn't have "token" characters...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Actually Corrie seem to have a lot of tokens, on that topic.
    Token Black
    Token Gay male
    Token Gay female
    Token Disabled
    Token every odd type of family
    Token hindu

Don't forget
    Token Irish alcoholic/Irish rowdy (Michelle dad/Jim McDonald)
    Token bimbo (Eva)
    Token recovering alcoholic/drug addict (Peter)
    Token lovable but stupid halfwit (kirk)
    Token young single mum (kahy-tee)

On recovering alcoholics, are we supposed to believe that Sophie who nearly died as a result of a bender and found Christianity now still says she's a 'Christ-ee-an' but never meets with any of her Bible basher mates and never needs to get any further counselling for her alcohol use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Token gay... Keeps the PC brigade happy.

How is he the token gay?:rolleyes:

What about Marcus, (and his & Seans relationships with other men), Sophie, Jenna, Gail's Dad ?

Sean isn't the only gay on the Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

He is the loudest and most annoying gay on the street if not in the whole of Manchester.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

jjf1974 wrote: »
    no but he is the loudest and most annoying gay on the street if not in the whole of Manchester.

How is that a counterpoint to what he said?

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »

What about Marcus, (and his & Seans relationships with other men), Sophie, Jenna, Gail's Dad ?

Marcus isn't gay anymore don't you know? And Gail's dad isn't actively featuring in it so he doesn't count. Sophie and Jenna are Lesbian and some people tend to distinguish between gay and Lesbian rather than call both sexes gay (hence LGBT organisations are opposed to GBT!). Maybe should have specified token 'stereotypical camp gay man' with Sean but I understand the criticism by the poster, and think it's a fair comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I found it annoying when Anna suggested Mary go up and tidy the flat, saying she didn't want to 'cos Roy would be mad with her. Then when Mary gets stuck in tidying, Roy comes home and goes nuts...Anna half heartedly defends Mary but doesn't mention it was all her idea:rolleyes:...
    and why did Roy confide in her when Fizz had tried loads of times to squeeze it out of him?

Like when has Tim been so concerned about Faye being left alone? Good excuse to go off to the pub:rolleyes:. Surely no one is a silly as Silly Sally? 'I've a bag of Twiglets put away for xmas'..wtf??? And to the two girls 'Mabye you aren't ready for mens' buttocks?''...wtf?? She should be well used to entertaining young teenage girls ffs:mad:.

Todd's all white teeth and fake tan..big efforts there with his appearance. Don't know what Jason was like in the tight leather jacket..bless him. Prob robbed it out of Todd's suitcase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Marcus isn't gay anymore don't you know? And Gail's dad isn't actively featuring in it so he doesn't count. Sophie and Jenna are Lesbian and some people tend to distinguish between gay and Lesbian rather than call both sexes gay (hence LGBT organisations are opposed to GBT!). Maybe should have specified token 'stereotypical camp gay man' with Sean but I understand the criticism by the poster, and think it's a fair comment.

Why would reinforcing stereotypes about minorities "keep the PC brigade happy"? Isn't that one of the things they are against, and they would rather have gay relationships and people plentiful (as they are, it's surely disproportionate to the amount of gay people in reality by now) and treated as normal? I just find the criticism a bit odd even if he did specify "stereotypical camp gay man".

Why would reinforcing stereotypes about minorities "keep the PC brigade happy"? Isn't that one of the things they are against, and they would rather have gay relationships and people plentiful (as they are, it's surely disproportionate to the amount of gay people in reality by now) and treated as normal? I just find the criticism a bit odd even if he did specify "stereotypical camp gay man".

Oh I agree with you I just read the 'keep the pc brigade happy' comment as being a sarcastic dig at the lazy writing evident of late that relies on stereotypes to form characters thinking it is being representative when in fact it is a clichéd stereotype not at all representative or relatable. But maybe I am misreading the comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Red Kev wrote: »

Rolleyes a bit harsh there ;)
    He is the only consistent gay on the street. Sure Marcus is there consistently but he is not consistently gay ;)

And I did differentiate between token gay males and females so the others don't count. And when has Gail's dad last been in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Don't forget
    Token Irish alcoholic/Irish rowdy (Michelle dad/Jim McDonald)
    Token bimbo (Eva)
    Token recovering alcoholic/drug addict (Peter)
    Token lovable but stupid halfwit (kirk)
    Token young single mum (kahy-tee)

On recovering alcoholics, are we supposed to believe that Sophie who nearly died as a result of a bender and found Christianity now still says she's a 'Christ-ee-an' but never meets with any of her Bible basher mates and never needs to get any further counselling for her alcohol use?

katie??? shes not a single mum doe? just because shes not with the dad ,that make it seem like she's all alone with the baby when shes not

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

A V A wrote: »
    katie??? shes not a single mum doe? just because shes not with the dad ,that make it seem like she's all alone with the baby when shes not

She's single and a mother. Would one not then assume that she is a single mother?

MugMugs wrote: »
    She's single and a mother. Would one not then assume that she is a single mother?
    She is a single mother, clearly.
    Don't know how anyone could think otherwise

but that has been used so many times and referenced with a struggling mother that has no one else and someone that is struggling to find a means to an end

She is not cohabiting with the father of her child, he has a new partner, she has had other partners and is free to do so again. By my book that makes her single, and she is a mum ipso facto she is a young single mum.

Leanne always referred to herself after she broke up with Peter as a single mum til she married Nick. As does Beth despite being with kirk now.

didnt see anyone mention anything about chesny being a single dad when katie was with ryan , nobody found anything "poor" about him :rolleyes:

its always the token "single mother ":rolleyes:

Hence the use of the term 'token'!! I think you miss the point - we are saying that rather than develop genuinely relatable and representative characters scriptwriters have resorted to using half arsed token stereotypes. Katie is the perfect example, she got pregnant by choice as a schoolgirl, had her head turned by Ryan and ended up arguing with Chesney and acting like an immature child over visitation and had to take a job in a kebab shop to make ends meet despite having a very promising academic ability before getting pregnant. Pretty much the stereotype token young single mum to me. She's just a rehash of Sarah-Louise

Chesney was never portrayed as a poor single dad but he was portrayed as the poor put upon decent bloke who was cheated on and prevented by Katie from seeing his son when it suited her. Pretty standard character writing for him too IMO.

didnt see anyone mention anything about chesny being a single dad when katie was with ryan , nobody found anything "poor" about him :rolleyes:
    Because the child lived with.......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is Kylie not a single mother now she has split with David?

And is Anna not a Single Mother now that whats his name is in Germany?

And isn't Tracey not a single Mum(Despite Amy spending most of her time with Dreary)?

So is Dev the token Asian single Dad?

Thread has gone weird...

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Is Kylie not a single mother now she has split with David?

And is Anna not a Single Mother now that whats his name is in Germany?

And isn't Tracey not a single Mum(Despite Amy spending most of her time with Dreary)?

So is Dev the token Asian single Dad?

Thread has gone weird...

Yes to all the above.
    I did not add the token single mother to the list, but some on here are clearly too easily offended. And resort to this guy ":rolleyes:" too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Bill1709

Why does the term single mother have to denote pity, sympathy, struggle, the term 'poor', etc. Plenty of single mothers like katie, tracy, kylie, had lots of support. I understand that many couples are in more dire situations. I dont think katie has ever been given storylines post chesney breakup to show her vulnerability and to make you say oh that 'poor single mother'. She is rather a normal chaacter. And much more attractive than Tango Tina in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Back on topic, I found the whole Todd thing a bit weird.

ex partner storms into the Grimshaw house (really?) and doesn't get fecked out on his ear and then Todd shows up the sweetness and light character gone bad.

Just all reeked of a slow day in the writing room !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Back on topic, I found the whole Todd thing a bit weird.

ex partner storms into the Grimshaw house (really?) and doesn't get fecked out on his ear and then Todd shows up the sweetness and light character gone bad.

Just all reeked of a slow day in the writing room !

Agree. Definitely seemed like a story that they hadn't decided where to go with it.

Please tell Steve that toilet roll centers are no longer allowed - Elf and safety, da knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Leanne sends Si back to live with his dad Peter and Tina becomes his babysitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Agree. Definitely seemed like a story that they hadn't decided where to go with it.

Id say there is more to come. Drug problem maybe?

I mean even a junior lawyer earns god money starting off. So if the story about him being let go is true, what is he doing with all the money? Yer man he was meant to go to New York with gave him 500 quid, but when he turned up he didnt have a penney.

syklops wrote: »
    Id say there is more to come. Drug problem maybe?

I mean even a junior lawyer earns god money starting off. So if the story about him being let go is true, what is he doing with all the money? Yer man he was meant to go to New York with gave him 500 quid, but when he turned up he didnt have a penney.
    How the Hell did he get to be a junior lawyer? Didn't he fail his exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

How the Hell did he get to be a junior lawyer? Didn't he fail his exams?

maybe he is a junior liar . He could be at anything in London .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Todd is quite irritating with his hitler haircut. He can do no wrong in Eileen's eyes and Sean was practically drooling over him. Where they ever a couple in it??

I'm dreading drippy Gail when she finds out about Todd getting fired she'll be in full on smug mode, those eyelashes with be going ten to the dozen. Like her family aren't the slightest bit dysfunctional with David and his sociopath tendencies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement