Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody ever self-repaired an Ipod Screen?

Options
  • 21-08-2013 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I'll be the worst human in the world if I mess it up but a superhero if it works. I know it can be done and I know it has it's dangers, but do many people try it and if so, is it a realistic option? Should I just plonk for the 65E bill that I am quoted?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It varies wildly in difficulty depending on which iPod. Older ones very easy, newer ones a fair bit trickier. Generally though paying to get it done with non apple parts is cheaper than doing it yourself with apple parts...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dunlaffin

Hi,

it's an Ipod touch Generation 4 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Dunlaffin wrote: »
    Hi,

Well if it's the ipod touch 4th generation then i'm sure it can be easily repaired by following this tutorial. It looks a bit tricky so you would need to be very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I've replaced the screen on an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4S without issue.

I've also replaced the screen on an iPod touch 4 and I would never do it again. IMO it's a lot trickier. The first tricky bit is its glued together rather than screwed so you need to heat it with a hairdryer till the glue softens then you pull it apart. The next tricky bit is that the wires for the speakers are tiny and don't leave a lot of room for manoeuvre and risk getting broken. Then you don't get replacement adhesive with the screen but that could just be the one I bought or maybe I heated it wrong and should've been able to reuse the adhesive but I couldn't.

Anyway, I'll never try it again. It's just not worth the hassle. You'd get one on adverts for about €90. Maybe that'd be a better option. It's only €25 more than the cost of your replacement and then you should have an iPod that hasn't had a potentially dodgy repair job.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Hi,

Pay the money. I did it and it was a nightmare.

• Advertisement

Jaysus folks it doesn't sound very promising for the old Self-fixeroo. Does anyone know how much the replacement screen costs approx ?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

I repaired an ipod touch 4g myself, tricky and requires a lot of patience but it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. If you go down the diy road buy a cheap toolkit from amazon, you'll need it to prise the screen up. I'll post up the link to the one I bought tomorrow if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Jaysus folks it doesn't sound very promising for the old Self-fixeroo. Does anyone know how much the replacement screen costs approx ?

Is this what you are looking for ? http://www.syncron.ie/iPOD_TOUCH_4TH_GEN_LCD_SCREEN_DIGITIZER_GLASS_p/lcd17.htm or the price for having someone fix it as well ?

Yes Zenno , that looks like what I need except I dont think I need the digitizer as the Ipod is working perfectly under the cracked glass. less than 20 quid and they want 70 quid to fix it, its a rip ! It'll take them less than an hour I presume maybe 30mins. That's an hourly rate of 100 quid +. That kills me to have to pay that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yes Zenno , that looks like what I need except I dont think I need the digitizer as the Ipod is working perfectly under the cracked glass. less than 20 quid and they want 70 quid to fix it, its a rip ! It'll take them less than an hour I presume maybe 30mins. That's an hourly rate of 100 quid +. That kills me to have to pay that.

They will do a better job than you and you need to consider how long it will take you to learn and execute too (plus the degradation in your mental health :pac:).

70 does seem OTT. Shop around a bit maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 mau_52

I replaced the screen on 2nd generation by myself via youtube, probably the easiest one (took me few hours do but I did it and worked) but never again. I used the above few times so far and quite happy l will do it again. And I think is 55€ to replace the screen on 4th generation.

yes mau, i checked in a small local shop today , he said 55 Euros.
    Weighing up the advice here its seems worth it. probably cost him 20 for the screen and then he gets 35 for doing it, its more acceptable then the previous quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bauer

Hi @Dunlaffin, just wondering how you got on, faced with same situation myself, cheapest quote I can get is 70eur, thanks, Bauer.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

bauer wrote: »
    Hi @Dunlaffin, just wondering how you got on, faced with same situation myself, cheapest quote I can get is 70eur, thanks, Bauer.

70 Isn't a terrible price

I paid 65 in Dun Laoghaire to get my God Daughters Iphone screen replaced. New Paddy electronics do it there

Advertisement