Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to cover the Irish Chemistry Course in 7 months by myself

Options
  • 21-08-2013 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, i was taking private chemistry classes since chemistry is not available in my school at home once a week for an 1hrs , but my parents couldn't afford to keep paying for it anymore. So i had to stop , but now i want to try and teach myself the entire chemistry course from now till the Leaving cert chemistry exam. as i need both chemistry and biology IS it possible?? i plan on spending 7 days a week & 2 hrs on it and then study my other subjects in preparation for my Leaving cert
    Thank u

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Yes, it's very possible. Might be tough if you're aiming for an A1, but you could easily get a C3 in HL with that amount of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fizzyjoy2010

would i be able to sip any chapters and come back to it later on or what??
    and what would you say are the most important chapters plzz thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

The kid that got 9 A1s in this year's leaving did Biology on his own, and started it in February this year.

So, if you're the type who's likely to get 8 A1s anyway, then you evidently can teach yourself a ninth subject to that level in a few months.

However, I think extrapolating that out to say anyone can do it would probably be pushing it.

Important chapters? Depends what you're into really. You can skip all of electrochemistry and water treatment/environmental. Focus on volumetric analysis/experiments/redox and acid-base reactions. Then make sure you know the history of the periodic table, how to draw reaction rate graphs and the staple reactions/naming in organic chemistry. Should be alright then.

Thank u do u know any websites i can get chemistry notes

• Advertisement

I don't know any specifically for the LC, but KhanAcademy has a great series on chemistry covering all the way up to second year in college, well worth the time if you actually want to understand the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chemanalysis

It really would not be easy on your own unless you are very bright. I would advise you to buy Rapid revision, it is good for cutting out stuff you don't need and only costs 10 euro.

would u say Exam edge would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chemanalysis

Personally prefer rapid revision. I use it with my students and they find it very useful. We use Chemistry Live so it complements out text book. If you are using Understanding Chemistry you won't find the chapters correspond.
    There is a website called ichemistry which is tailored for the leaving cert, you won't be able to log in but you can access most notes as a guest. To log in as a guest use the password (network).
    Don't forget to download the markschemes on line from examinations.ie. Questions get repeated but you must know the exact language required to get full marks. Practice exam questions and always check answers against mark schemes. In chemistry there is little room for error.
    Good luck:)

Advertisement