Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camping in Wicklow URGENT

• 21-08-2013 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone, me and my 9 friends hope to go camping in Wicklow this Saturday night but can't find any info on the web about good places (preferably legal and not too difficult to access) to do so. We fully intend to stick to the Leave No Trace rules and not light a fire etc. I was wondering if anyone knows any good spots, and how to get there (from Dublin!)
    We need ideas fast!
    Thanks a million!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hi there Zaz138,

Welcome to boards.ie!
    I've moved your thread from Travel over into the Wicklow forum as it is localised.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

you might find a good spot here.
    http://www.irishbeds.com/wicklow_cmp.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The above link is good.

We don't really do "freedom camping" like other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

I believe there are three Adirondack shelters along the wicklow way, perhaps you can camp by/ under one of them if you are going walking. They are mentioned on the WW wiki, you'll have to search more for exact location.

Technically there is no camping in coillte forests Afaik, but that rule is mainly used to move on groups of youths drinking etc. You are less likely to get away with throwing a tent up near an entrance to one of the walks, or anywhere near the bigger tourist sites like glendalough.. but if you go deeper into some of the more out of the way forests, find a clearing & like you say Leave no trace, i am sure you will be fine. Probably best to wait until evening before setting up especially if you are gonna be in view of a steady stream of walkers.

Another option is to go to knockree Hostel. I'm not 100% but i think campers can set up in the garden, ring them, perhaps there's a fee.

The fact you are going on a saturday you should avoid some of the more easily accessible/frequented camping spots, like by the dargle source above powerscourt waterfall as you could well find yourself joined by a group who aren't so dedicated to the leave no trace principles.. at least judging by all the rubbish that can generally be found there.

I have done "freedom camping" in ireland now and again without much hassle, if you find somewhere out of sight, and set up late/get up early you should be fine.

Edit: Found a trip advisor thread with some useful info here: http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186646-i5048-k6478391-Wild_camping_along_the_WIcklow_way-Wicklow_County_Wicklow.html

*it mentions that camping may be discontinued at knockree due to antisocial behaviour/rubbish, which is a shame if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭markest

Wolohan's Silver Strand Caravan & Camping Park
    Silver Strand, Dunbur Upper, Wicklow ‎
    (0404) 69404 ‎ · silverstrand.ie
    1 review ·
    B

Hidden Valley Holiday Park

Photo
    Hidden Valley Holiday Park, Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow ‎
    086 727 2872 ‎ · hiddenvalleypark.ie
    Category: Caravan and Camping
    4 reviews ·