Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day volunteering

Options
  • 21-08-2013 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, quick question, and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out.

For the first time this year I won't be spending Christmas with my own family. My Dad is going away to Spain for the winter (well for some!) and tbh I've had enough of being the little sister that tags along to my brothers family Christmas, you know? So I'll be staying in my own flat in Dublin which I am already mentally decorating for the season... :p

But since I'm not going home, I'll have a big chunk of time on my own- now, I'm kind of looking forward to it, but I also want to help other people have a great day, so I was hoping to find somewhere that needs volunteers or visitors on Christmas Day. I know there's the big dinner in the RDS but it's always oversubscribed and I just wonder if there's not some respite home for older people with no families who could do with a visitor or something that day. I have worked with older people before doing oral histories, so I thought maybe that could be something, go around at Chritmas helping people reminisce or whatever.

Long story short, anyone know of anywhere I could look into this?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Fair play to you B&C; the only places I reckon might be able to help you are either Age Action or Alone. Or maybe one of the many private Home Care companies would be able to point you in the right direction? Either way it's a lovely thing to volunteer your time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ae86chic

thats very nice ofyou hun! go to a local nursing home and ask if they have any people that have no family to visit them on xmas you could always just go and listen to there old tales!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thank guys, I was thinking of contacting Age Action alright, but Alone would be good too.

Cheers!

Advertisement