Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Payment System ( No Merchant Acccount)

Options
  • 21-08-2013 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi all i have made a website i want to put in a online payment system without having to set up a merchants account if anyone knows if this is possible thank you?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Paypal

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Do yuo need a merchant account with Realex?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

We use paypal it probably works a little more expensive but people trust it and its convenient just because so many people have accounts already and don't need to faff around entering card details etc. Its also handy to have funds there to pay for stock from international wholesalers means you cut out a few days waiting on funds to transfer via a bank transfer.

bassey wrote: »
    Do yuo need a merchant account with Realex?

Yes. They're just rolling out a new system called Fire that will probably negate the need for a merchant account, but business accounts aren't available yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Stripe have launched in Ireland. We recently integrated it into one of our e-commerce stores.

You will need a VAT number to register with them. Other than that, you can use either a business banking account or a personal banking account. No need for a merchant account.

It requires a bit more work to set up than PayPal, but looks far better, as you are not redirected to a third party site for payments.

PM if you want to see it in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Don't know if izettle has launched in ireland but you don't need a merchant account with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Initially just stick with paypal - simple to set up and integrate into the site, everyone trusts it and you just pay on the value of each transaction. (something like 3.4% +30c - drops if turnover reaches certain level)

If things go well, look at other options - but the paypal brand is an asset.

It is. I recommend it to clients these days even if they already have a more "professional" handler. One client has seen his PayPal sales outstrip Realex by a small percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EirSurvey

Try 2Checkout - I've used them for years with no problems. No merchant account required and they accept all major credit cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

EirSurvey wrote: »
    Try 2Checkout - I've used them for years with no problems. No merchant account required and they accept all major credit cards.

I've found 2Checkout to be very expensive. Don't have the sums with me but think I was ending up paying close to 30% in fees by the time all the currency conversions and lost interest on the reserve was taking into account.

Have since moved to Stripe and find it much better. Easy sign up, payments in my bank account 8 days after received and no reserve. Low fees too.

• Advertisement

Stripe is UK, US & Canada only?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think Stripe are coming to Ireland soon (if they're not already in Beta here), Paymill are also worth a look.

rovoagho wrote: »

Ireland beta invites sent out a few months ago. Don't have a link handy but should be on their site somewhere.

rovoagho wrote: »

It's on private beta. I applied and was accepted in a few hours

Quick update on Stripe, it's now fully available in Ireland - no beta invited necessary.

Just joined the beta last week, switching over this evening. This is just the funt up the arse the payments market needed.

Anyone else in the Beta Testing get some cupcakes today! Have to hand it to Stripe, they know how to do business, free drinks last night, a free tshirt and free cupcakes!

The Collisons are ****-hot, they put most businessmen to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Just weighing up stripe and paypal at the moment.

Paypal, once you go over €10000, charge 2.7% + €0.35 per transaction.

Stripe are flat fee 2.4% + 24c + 23% VAT

Why are stripe charging VAT and paypal not?

relaxed wrote: »
    Just weighing up stripe and paypal at the moment.

Paypal, once you go over €10000, charge 2.7% + €0.35 per transaction.

Stripe are flat fee 2.4% + 24c + 23% VAT

Why are stripe charging VAT and paypal not?

You sure about VAT pretty sure I'm not being charged.

Just saw it there. Maybe it is already included in the 2.4% + 24c?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SupraSonic26

Ya i contacted stripe and boo hoo dont cover high risk adult sites they would have been perfect aswell just to intergate there gateway into the site and send me my payments without having to make a stupid merchant account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    You sure about VAT pretty sure I'm not being charged.

Just saw it there. Maybe it is already included in the 2.4% + 24c?

Their website says:

2.4% + 24 cent + VAT

Seems they charge it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Anyone using Paymill? It can be integrated into my eCommerce platform, whereas Stripe cannot be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I spent the last two days trying to design a cost effective system for subscription billing through Shopify. A little personal project of mine that's growing out of control! :P

And then I realize Stripe is now available in Ireland. I could have been in the pub!! :mad::p:pac:

Dean0088 wrote: »
    I spent the last two days trying to design a cost effective system for subscription billing through Shopify. A little personal project of mine that's growing out of control! :P

And then I realize Stripe is now available in Ireland. I could have been in the pub!! :mad::p:pac:

But Stripe cannot be integrated into Shopify if the currency is Euro.

http://www.shopify.com/payment-gateways/ireland

http://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/payments-shipping-fulfilment/t/stripe-com-when-will-shopify-allow-euro-144373

Anyone using Paymill? It can be integrated into my eCommerce platform, whereas Stripe cannot be.

I spent some time doing test integrations with both Paymill and Stripe.

Paymill is pretty much the Samwers' brothers Paymill clone so they're both fairly similar.

Both very impressive products compared to the old-school merchant account approach and it's accompanying hoop jumping.

Graham wrote: »
    I spent some time doing test integrations with both Paymill and Stripe.

Paymill is pretty much the Samwers' brothers Paymill clone so they're both fairly similar.

Both very impressive products compared to the old-school merchant account approach and it's accompanying hoop jumping.

Thanks Graham.

Think I'll sign up for Paymill then!

Out of curiosity, can I ask what made you go with shopify?

Graham wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, can I ask what made you go with shopify?

I did quite a bit of research/googling beforehand, and shopify seemed to come out on top.

It's very user-friendly, especially for a novice like myself. Simple to add products, categories etc. General customisation is easy and the support is great.

It has a nice clean look to it also. While customisation is easy, it's also limited (to a degree), so a generic look is inevitable. You'd know a shopify store straight away. Still looks great though.

• Advertisement

I'll be sending off the contact form and requested documents to PayMill in Germany tomorrow.

Would it be advisable to get rid of PayPal Express then, and have solely one payment gateway i.e. PayMill? The problem with PayPal Express on Shopify is that a customer is directed to the PayPal page without shipping costs been calculated. It's looks like free shipping, and there's isn't ant fix. It's a disaster.

With PayMill you stay on the site, and it looks like a very nice cart.

Do some people only use PayPal, and would I be cutting off potential customers?

Thanks

Advertisement