Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major algae problem in cold water tank

Options
  • 21-08-2013 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

My cold water tank has a bad algae problem now, there was a bit of a green algae problem which was controlled by weekly 25% water changes. Now though there's a very dark green hairy algae growing too which is like wild fire, from googling it looks similar to black beard algae. But how to get rid of it? The tank is in a lot of light, unfortunately no way to minimise this but the problem hasn't been bad until the last 2 months. It's about 40L, has 2 weather loaches, 2 mountain minnows and a rufa fish in it. There's also 2 live plants which are the main anchor points of the algae.

Does anyone have an algae killer they would recommend?

Should I move the fish into my 90L tropical tank while I'm dealing with the algae problem? (It contains about 10 neons and a heap of RC shrimp)

Any advise appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

You should be able to treat the algae problem with the fish in the tank. I've used eSHa Protalon 707 in the past and it works well.

If the tank is in direct sunlight, the algae will keep coming back. Also have a look at the amount you're feeding. That can also be a big cause of algae.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Get 2 or 3 Siamese algae eaters

Sorry just read its a cold water tank.

+1 on cutting down on feeding. If there are no plants in the tank, kill the lights and put a sheet over it for a few days (maybe a week) the fish wont mind. Also... only feed a small amount every other day. If the food is hitting the bottom of the tank... you're putting too much in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

There's too many nutrients and/or too much light in your tank. I would dramatically cut down on the feeding and the hours of light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

You can add all the algae killer you want, but unless you solve the cause of it, it will just keep coming back.

Algae only grows in the absence of plants, poor water quality (not enough water changes), or over-abundance of nutrients (overfeeding).

You need to reduce the nutrients, or its a futile exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I got an algae killer in the end and so far all doing well.

It's a planted tank, and I haven't changed the feeding habits. Unfortunately its beside a window in the bathroom so I can't regulate how much light it gets but it's been there 5 years and this is the first year that I've had this algae. I'd say probably the good summer so probably won't have another bad algae problem for anther 5 years :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I got an algae killer in the end and so far all doing well.

It's a planted tank, and I haven't changed the feeding habits. Unfortunately its beside a window in the bathroom so I can't regulate how much light it gets but it's been there 5 years and this is the first year that I've had this algae. I'd say probably the good summer so probably won't have another bad algae problem for anther 5 years :D

Algae killer is only treating the symptoms and not the cause. Have you done a Nitrate test and if you have what are the readings?

Advertisement