Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules changes

Options
  • 21-08-2013 10:23am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, may as well make use of this forum,

What changes/tweaks would you make to the rules if any?

Personally I think we should tighten up the 4th down rule.

Currently:

"No going for it on 4th down unless the situation calls for it, some specific examples are;
    1) Go for it anytime inside the 10
    2) Go for it anytime in Q4 when behind OR inside opposition 40
    3) Go for it anytime when 4th and 1 inside opposition 40
    4) Go for it only 1 more time in a given game outside of the rules above"

I'd certainly remove item 4 as it makes the other rules very difficult to enforce.

I'd also like to see some more sanction put in place for serial offenders of running up the score against the CPU. I think anyone who has had a ban should get a PM warning them that the next time the ban will be (say) 3 games. As a 1 game ban doesn't seem to be enough of a deterrent.

Also 35 points is very generous so there should be no reason or excuses for going over 35 points. I see a lot of examples of people hitting exactly 35 points, I think that should be discouraged, we should have only 28 points wins with 7 point leeway for if you are trying to run down the clock and "somehow" accidentally score.

No Huddle offense. Can we put a time on what is meant by late in the game/half.

Glitches/Exploits is there twice in the rules for some reason.

Finally I think we should discuss making the use of headsets mandatory. I know this is a touchy subject for some but playing without them leads to problems, and I personally hate the idea of checking the laptop for a chat room while playing a game .

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well, may as well make use of this forum,

What changes/tweaks would you make to the rules if any?

Personally I think we should tighten up the 4th down rule.

Currently:

"No going for it on 4th down unless the situation calls for it, some specific examples are;
    1) Go for it anytime inside the 10
    2) Go for it anytime in Q4 when behind OR inside opposition 40
    3) Go for it anytime when 4th and 1 inside opposition 40
    4) Go for it only 1 more time in a given game outside of the rules above"

I'd certainly remove item 4 as it makes the other rules very difficult to enforce.

The only thing I would say about item 4 is that sometimes teams in the NFL do just randomly go for it on 4th down to try and put off their opponent, but I would be interested to see what others say

I'd also like to see some more sanction put in place for serial offenders of running up the score against the CPU. I think anyone who has had a ban should get a PM warning them that the next time the ban will be (say) 3 games. As a 1 game ban doesn't seem to be enough of a deterrent.
    I definitely agree with this, maybe we should increase the initial ban to 2 games from the offset? Even though I don't think anyone has done it more than once. Could be wrong there though.

Also 35 points is very generous so there should be no reason or excuses for going over 35 points. I see a lot of examples of people hitting exactly 35 points, I think that should be discouraged, we should have only 28 points wins with 7 point leeway for if you are trying to run down the clock and "somehow" accidentally score.
    Hard to know about this one without playing the game. But based on last years game, I don't think we should change it. As it is extremely boring to play the CPU and trying to not score is even more boring. So I would be for just leaving it the way it is.

No Huddle offense. Can we put a time on what is meant by late in the game/half.
    Very hard to put a time on it as for me it totally depends on the game and how it is going, who is playing well and if you feel you really need to go no huddle earlier than normal as the other person is running down the clock a lot. To me it is too subjective.
    Glitches/Exploits is there twice in the rules for some reason.

Finally I think we should discuss making the use of headsets mandatory. I know this is a touchy subject for some but playing without them leads to problems, and I personally hate the idea of checking the laptop for a chat room while playing a game .
    I would love to implement this rule. The only problem is it might scare people away and at the moment we need anyone we can get. I don't like the chat room either but it is better than having to pause the game and type in an xbox live message

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think they the rules are fine, but they need to be enforced correctly.

On the score limit, I think players who played last year dont need a warning and if they win by more than 35 points then its an automatic 1 game ban.
    After that its a 3 game ban.

Late in the game i think should be last 2 mins.

Agree on the headset, you dont have to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Head set - agree , its mind numbing playing when they dont have one. Worse than a CPU Game.

On 4th down i made a open thread on it to create some discussion. The Jags/Giants/Bucc's were all guilty of padding stats and obivously went for it on 4th when they shouldn't have some times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hopefully the new CC will give us extra visibility on this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

I would agree removing the once a game 4th down rule.

On headsets, the guys who use them tend to be the guys who will stick with the league long term those who don't use them are I think are more likely to not. I absolutely hate playing someone who does not use a headset.

Scoring rules definitely just enforce them.

• Advertisement

What about a minimum roster size?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, I'd like to say we should carry 53 at all times to be honest, as you would never see an NfL team with less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Ye easy enough to enforce . It's hard to be too harsh on new guys when they don't understand cap .

What about 51? as that is how many players are counted towards the cap?

I cant remember who it was (it may have been in the pro) but did someone at one stage only have 43 people on their roster :eek:

Agree with 51 on roster at start of Regular Season as thats what counted towards cap.

It was Doc who had 43 at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Berty44 wrote: »
    Agree with 51 on roster at start of Regular Season as thats what counted towards cap.

It was Doc who had 43 at one stage.

51 is the amount that counts towards the Cap at this point of the year when teams have up to 90 players (Top 51 rule).

However during the regular season all 53 count towards the cap.

See here for explanation http://nflsalarycapguru.com/

"Only the highest 51 player salaries for a team count against the Salary Cap in the offseason while ALL player salaries of a team count in calculating the team total Salary Cap during the season."

cheers Adrian, i did not know that!

Injuries on or off?

Injuries on or off?

Preset ? I am easy on this
    In Game ? Definitely on but off on preseason.

I see us having a good chat about the rules on Friday night

Yeah sorry pre existing injuries I mean

Yeah sorry pre existing injuries I mean
    Ha. I thought you had went mad for second.

I think existing injuries should be turned off.

On, depending on what team I get in the draft though. :)

I just think it would lessen peoples enjoyment of the game if they have to start with injured players. I don't think anyone would have any gripes if we started injury free.

Yeah i agree, for boards better to have them off even with the Titans being injury free for the moment

I don't see any rules on Custom playbooks. You guys have seen the discussions which took place on maddenpfl and know the pros and cons. Rules as they stand say "no limitations", which means they can be used. So the question is can they?

• Advertisement

I think not.

Also should we impose max contract lengths and max bonus percentages for re-signing your players as well as FA pickups?

For resigning I dont think so but defintely for FA pick ups

Think its too late for resignings. The Colts signed about 5/6 players already to very long deals so taht horse has bolted. Definitely for Free Agency.

Can you change the rules wording on playbooks to exclude custom playbooks?

How long are the contracts? I don't think it's too late to set rules/guidelines on bonus/contract lengths from now.

For FA, 4 year with a certain % as bonus
    say 50%?

I think it was 20% bonus last year with a max of 4 years, should we just stick with that?

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think it was 20% bonus last year with a max of 4 years, should we just stick with that?

Yep thats fine with me

Nelbert wrote:
    Adrian Peterson breaks the single game rushing record by 3 yards. Vikings 31-14 Browns

First attempt desync'd with about a minute left and I'd it won so played CPU. Restart was due to the main network switch being plugged out for a few seconds by the boss.... Which prompted some under the breath cursing.

You should all be ashamed of Ponder's passer rating. I'll do everything I can to protect that QB rating now as I'm sure it'll be very annoying come season end if he's anywhere close in rating to QBs that are you know like.... Good.

Is There anything we can do to prevent stat padding in CPU game other than the total score at the end?

As you can see it's quite possible to pad QB passing stats and get the single game record without ever breaking the scoring rule.

What do you think?

This was in a game that disconnected and Paddy dropped to let him play the CPU.

Not sure to be honest, I mean if you for them to throw the ball they could end up losing through ints

• Advertisement

There's a rule on Madden PFL about not breaking single game records.

Advertisement