Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New rules of lifting for women

• 21-08-2013 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

My GF has finally moved from the spin classes into the weight room with me.
    After months of hints and my suggestions she has decided free weights are the way forward.

She went for a session with my PT who gave her a decent program to start with but there is still a little reluctance to 100% commit.

she flat out refuses to add weight to the bar insisting it's too much, even tho it's clear that she can easily lift more.
    I'm trying to slowly encourage her to add weight but I dont want to put too much pressure on too early or she will resist and maybe get put off.

(which is extremely ironic because this time last year I would put money on the fact she was stronger than I was)

I want her to realise that it is normal to add weight quicker or she won't see the results she wants.

I am thinking about buying this book for her, in the hopes she may read it and come to the conclusions on her own.

So, for anyone who has done this book is there a chance you can give me a quick breakdown as to the direction it takes?

I know it features compounds and a nutrition plan, but what is the progression like? is there a linear increase in the weights involved? How much cardio is featured?
    Does it compare to other beginner programs like SS or strong lifts etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I'm going to post here because the follow thread buttons seems to not work for me and I am interested in what people say :p

I briefly got my wife to work out with me lifting weights. Her progression was good but she just didn't enjoy it, although she saw a definite benefit to it. She's currently doing some of the Jillian Michaels 30 day programs which she very much enjoys. While not as efficient as just lifting there seems to be enough strength work in it for her to see results that she is very happy with. I'd be interested also in finding out more about this book so i can convert her back to lifting - i really need a spotter :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I started it, doctorwhogirl also has done it.

Have a look at both our logs to get an idea.

You are suppose to increase the weight every 2 (i think?) sessions as the reps get lower. (You'll notice from my log that I didn't do this with squats or deadlifts much because there was only 10kg plates and I wasn't able to go up that much)
    There's HITT cardio at the end of some of the workouts but not all them.

The book is quite well written. There's a kind of a 'no bu!!sh!t' vibe about it.

I'd defo recommend it as a starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I'm going to post here because the follow thread buttons seems to not work for me and I am interested in what people say :p

I briefly got my wife to work out with me lifting weights. Her progression was good but she just didn't enjoy it, although she saw a definite benefit to it. She's currently doing some of the Jillian Michaels 30 day programs which she very much enjoys. While not as efficient as just lifting there seems to be enough strength work in it for her to see results that she is very happy with. I'd be interested also in finding out more about this book so i can convert her back to lifting - i really need a spotter :/

lol, yes I remember your thread from a few months ago. This is the accumulation of my subtle steering for a long time. Looks like our machinations may be coming to bloom
    dr+evil2.gif

I started it, doctorwhogirl also has done it.

Have a look at both our logs to get an idea.

You are suppose to increase the weight every 2 (i think?) sessions as the reps get lower. (You'll notice from my log that I didn't do this with squats or deadlifts much because there was only 10kg plates and I wasn't able to go up that much)
    There's HITT cardio at the end of some of the workouts but not all them.

The book is quite well written. There's a kind of a 'no bu!!sh!t' vibe about it.

I'd defo recommend it as a starting point.

Cool, I saw both your names when I searched NROLFW but missed the logs ill check them out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

My girlfriend was put off by detail of the book and thought it looked too complicated. Couldn't comment on quality of content though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Sangre wrote: »
    My girlfriend was put off by detail of the book and thought it looked too complicated. Couldn't comment on quality of content though.

I think if you don't have the spreadsheets then yes it can be a bit confusing.

They can easily be found online though.

im thinking the same, workouts look complex in your log.

her workout right now is a full body 5/6 exercises tops, she doesn't need to follow the program from the book tho. Whats the rest of the book like to read.

I may buy it and leave it on the coffee table in the vain hope it piques her curiosity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I "did" the programme but I went my own way with it too.

It gives a good idea of how to structure workouts but specific guidance on the extent of the weights you use is minimal so it is instinct but you soon realise just how much weight you are able to lift and you're quick to see gains in the programme (gains in strength I mean ;) )

I did it for 3 months or so now I base my workouts from the movements in it and a few other bits. I like it because I'm not into the whole "legs day, upper body, back" splits thing.

The usual structure with it is you do one full body, compound move at the start, then supersets of other exercises. Usually it's 2/3 sets of about 6-10 reps.

I found, as I moved on to heavier weights, that I changed it to less reps and more sets, particularly for squats and deadlifts.

As a guide and resource for information on the different lifts I can't recommend it highly enough but I did find I got sick of it and had to mix it up myself then.

As a sway for your other half in terms of results I'm the smallest I've ever been and eating more than I ever have (fairly clean though). Since this time last year I'm down about 24/25 pounds too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

I did stage 1 and am going to start stage 2 this week. One thing I like is that it's progressive with the different exercises and the rep range changing so it saves you haunting a gym instructor every few weeks looking for a new program. I've been meaning to re-read bits of it... One thing I don't remember is much of an emphasis on mobility and stability work. This could be my faulty memory but if it's not in there it would have been good.

I lost about 7lbs during stage 1 and measurements went down. This would be purely down to NROLFW and lifting heavier as my diet didn't change (weight was static). I eat a couple of hundred calories more on days I lift now. It's quite a long book and the way it's written is a bit 'American' but it's accessible.

get home last night and casually mention the book again to her and she tells me she downloaded it this afternoon ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Hiya

Have her read up, or look at Chalene Johnsons "Chalean Extreme" stuff online or reviews. She is a teeny tiny american rocking proper lifting for women!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I completed the NROLFW (skipped Stage 6 though as it's fully focused on pull ups which weren't really a goal of mine just yet).

I really enjoyed it and gained a lot from it. If she's interested I'd recommend that she give Stage 1 a try as it involves the basic movements such as squats and deadlifts which will get her acquainted with the squat rack and barbell. It starts off with quite a few reps at low weights and by the end of that Stage she'll have progressed to higher weight/lower reps and she'll be in a good place to decide whether she wants to continue with the program or try something else like Stronglifts.

The reason I'd recommend evaluating things after doing Stage 1 is because I personally found NROLFW got a bit complicated and time-consuming at this point and the basic back squats/deadlifts are essentially taken out of the program and not seen again until the final stage, and these were the two moves I enjoyed the most, not so much things like lunges. But your girlfriend might not feel the same way. On the plus side, it stops you getting bored with exercises and can help you figure out what you really enjoy. That said, I finished out the program because once I start something I have to finish it :)

Another one worth checking out is New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. It's a bit more customisable and you are given a range of movements to build your own program with. The diet/nutrition side of things is a bit more up to date as well. I'm looking into this program for when I start doing weights again (currently unable to due to a knee injury unfortunately :().

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

How does it differ from Mark Rippetoe 'Starting Strength' or is it just that it's marketed towards women?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    How does it differ from Mark Rippetoe 'Starting Strength' or is it just that it's marketed towards women?

Not sure what criteria you're thinking of to compare the two but from what little I know of Starting Strength, some of the exercises and rep ranges are different. NROLFW is obviously marketed to women but not sure how different it is from other books in the NROL series. The introductory text in NROLFW is fairly female-focused but presumably both sexes would get something out of the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

CeannRua wrote: »
    Not sure what criteria you're thinking of to compare the two but from what little I know of Starting Strength, some of the exercises and rep ranges are different. NROLFW is obviously marketed to women but not sure how different it is from other books in the NROL series. The introductory text in NROLFW is fairly female-focused but presumably both sexes would get something out of the program.

No criteria as such I just noticed that Rippetoe's book gets better reviews. Some reviewers say that the 'New Rules.. ' has convoluted programs so I'm just wondering which one I should buy.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    No criteria as such I just noticed that Rippetoe's book gets better reviews. Some reviewers say that the 'New Rules.. ' has convoluted programs so I'm just wondering which one I should buy.

Can't help with telling you which is better. I guess choice between these two partly depends on personal preference. I did look at SS but I thought I'd get bored with it. I like that there is a variety of lifts in NROLFW and that the routines change.

Starting strength is all about focusing on the basics and keeping it simple.

The idea is that it is aimed at teenage boys, who want to get ripped. and as we all know teenage boys are idiots so the whole program is as basic as possible.

3-4 exercises a workout, 2 workouts in the program.
    alternate between the both.

use compound exercises because as a beginner you can recover from a full body routine in 2 days.
    You are no longer considered a beginner once you pass this criteria and thus must stop doing SS and find an intermediate program.

There is little to no accessory work as the increase in strength and mass from the major muscles is sufficient, and adding more complex routines at the early stages is only going to muddy the program.

the downside really is that after SS the body may be a bit imbalanced. with no calves, biceps, abs or upper back work in the program you may be lacking in these areas.

But to be honest, you should only be on SS or 3-6 months, so its no big deal you can find a program after SS to help with the upper back and biceps etc.

SS is a good program for men and women, it teaches the major compounds and gives yuo a good base of strenght to work from. it is linear so you wil quickly add weight to the bar and quickly see good results.
    It is very basic, so its hard to screw up, just follow the advice and you will get results.
    Its also very quick, at the start no more than an hour, and the end is 90 minutes or so. 3x a week.

the key to SS is simplicity, id like to know how it compares to NROLFW in that manner.

Starting strength is all about focusing on the basics and keeping it simple.

The idea is that it is aimed at teenage boys, who want to get ripped. and as we all know teenage boys are idiots so the whole program is as basic as possible.

3-4 exercises a workout, 2 workouts in the program.
    alternate between the both.

use compound exercises because as a beginner you can recover from a full body routine in 2 days.
    You are no longer considered a beginner once you pass this criteria and thus must stop doing SS and find an intermediate program.

There is little to no accessory work as the increase in strength and mass from the major muscles is sufficient, and adding more complex routines at the early stages is only going to muddy the program.

the downside really is that after SS the body may be a bit imbalanced. with no calves, biceps, abs or upper back work in the program you may be lacking in these areas.

But to be honest, you should only be on SS or 3-6 months, so its no big deal you can find a program after SS to help with the upper back and biceps etc.

SS is a good program for men and women, it teaches the major compounds and gives yuo a good base of strenght to work from. it is linear so you wil quickly add weight to the bar and quickly see good results.
    It is very basic, so its hard to screw up, just follow the advice and you will get results.
    Its also very quick, at the start no more than an hour, and the end is 90 minutes or so. 3x a week.

the key to SS is simplicity, id like to know how it compares to NROLFW in that manner.

I think most of your questions have already been answered and as your girlfriend has bought the book it might be best to just look through it. I don't time how long workouts take me but I don't think they would take an hour. NROLFW workouts are full-body and mostly supersetted. I can see how it might look convoluted to someone flicking through it, and there is no doubt there is more to it than SS but I don't think this is a negative if as you say SS can cause muscular imbalance. NROLFW is marketed as an introduction to weights but it would be interesting to see how a total beginner would do with it.

CeannRua wrote: »
    I think most of your questions have already been answered and as your girlfriend has bought the book it might be best to just look through it. I don't time how long workouts take me but I don't think they would take an hour. NROLFW workouts are full-body and mostly supersetted. I can see how it might look convoluted to someone flicking through it, and there is no doubt there is more to it than SS but I don't think this is a negative if as you say SS can cause muscular imbalance. NROLFW is marketed as an introduction to weights but it would be interesting to see how a total beginner would do with it.

I was explaining SS for the benefit of cloudatlas who asked which book to get.

Also, cloudatlas, a lot of the information for SS can be found on the wiki page: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
    and the program "Strong lifts 5x5" is similar but offers an alternative. may be worth looking into.

I was explaining SS for the benefit of cloudatlas who asked which book to get.

Also, cloudatlas, a lot of the information for SS can be found on the wiki page: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
    and the program "Strong lifts 5x5" is similar but offers an alternative. may be worth looking into.

I was replying to the final sentence of your last post: '
    the key to SS is simplicity, id like to know how it compares to NROLFW in that manner.'

• Advertisement
Advertisement