Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

05 1.6fsi Passat Vs 1.4 Golf. first car purchase?

Options
  • 21-08-2013 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Am going to buy either one of these in the next couple of weeks. my budget is about 5k. I have found a few of each around the 60k miles range at my price range. Passat (newer Body shape)2005, / 2005 golf MK5

I am swaying towards the Passat (newer Body shape). I much prefer the interior IMO and I want a saloon more than a hatch back. However I would not be put of buying the golf either if its just the better car at the end of the day.

From what I have read the 1.6Fsi Passat is a bit of a dog engine wise and also that the 1.4 golf cannot pull its weight either. This is not a big deal to me or SHOULD IT BE ?? I am not a fast driver and smaller engine's = lower road tax and insurance for me, (Fuel Costs? I dunno). Will be primarily using in and around Dublin etc. So any one with experiences with either, could you share your two cents worth. Be honest. I want to be as informed as I can whilst making the decision on the day after test driving each.

Also any know'n problems with either I should Look out for. Manufacture defaults, funny noises, things to be replaced that dealer wont mention.

All/any help and knowledge extremely welcome. Thanks for taking time to help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭kirving

You mentioned that the smaller engine means lower insurance. I'm not sure about a Passat or Golf, but I'm looking at cars at the moment too, and a 1.8 S40 is about 30% cheaper than a 1.6 Focus. (I think I checked and a 1.4 Focus was dearer too)

Obviously tax will be higher, and possibly fuel costs too, but just do a good bit of research into insurance as a more powerful car may actually be cheaper insurance wise, meaning you have more options when choosing your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

Thanks. I suppose the test drive will reveal all once undertaken.

Besides the obvious tax and insurance and probably a bit more fuel I can live with. The thing is I am/will be unaware of future possible expense's the Passat will garner.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I have an 07 golf and dad has an 08 passat, Interior wise... I prefer dad's car. It's a nicer place to be for long journeys etc. Driving wise... we both prefer my car, it's lighter and more agile, built for corners more than cruising.

I don't think you should be too concerned with the engines that are in either car - They're going to be similar enough as far as power/weight ratio is concerned anyway. neither will be overly sporty but that's fine - if you wanted a sports car you'd be looking to buy a sports car. Both cars will pull their weight adequately and at the end of the day - you'll spend most of your driving hours driving sensibly, so why not go for the car that's more pleasant to be in. I'd go for the passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Consider the jetta 1.6 too. Not as complicated as the passat and while its basically a mk5 golf its technically a more recent model and you wont feel as bad

Advertisement