Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote here to help bring a roller derby bout to Waterford!

Options
  • 21-08-2013 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Waterford Viqueens are in with a chance of winning €1500 from the Nurofen Big Lives Trust.

This would help Waterford's local roller derby team to host their first home bout. Vote for Rosanne Birney - aka Anna Bomination.

I have mod approval to post this link, but if for some reason you can't access it, you can also find it on the Waterford Viqueens' facebook page.

http://rdappshost.com/nurofen/big_lives/#shortlist

Thanks to everyone who votes! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Done!
    All the best, I hope ye get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Voted there with my 3 email addresses! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

done and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

done too and best of luck with this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Done! Hope ye get this, I have a sister 'lil pitbull' on the team :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annabomination

Thanks for voting folks, we really appreciate it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

My grandmother was a professional roller derby player on team in Los Angeles back in the '50s, still has her skates from back then. I voted for Rosanne using my eight different email accounts - hopefully they'll all count. Good luck Viqueens!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

Done with all five email addresses

My grandmother was a professional roller derby player on team in Los Angeles back in the '50s, still has her skates from back then. I voted for Rosanne using my eight different email accounts - hopefully they'll all count. Good luck Viqueens!

Wow, your grandmother sounds amazing! Thanks for the votes :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Done, I'll post this on our dodgeball club facebook page and try drum up some more votes.

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Done, I'll post this on our dodgeball club facebook page and try drum up some more votes.

Thanks! I didn't even know Waterford had a dodgeball club until yesterday, we were in talking to Sean in Beat and he said ye had been there too? We played some dodgeball on our skates in training last week, it was pretty interesting :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

Wow, thanks for all the support everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Thanks! I didn't even know Waterford had a dodgeball club until yesterday, we were in talking to Sean in Beat and he said ye had been there too? We played some dodgeball on our skates in training last week, it was pretty interesting :-p

We'll have to try organise a few sessions together, dodgeball one week, roller derby the next!

Wow, your grandmother sounds amazing! Thanks for the votes :-)

She was probably pretty cool back in the '50s, but as long as I've known her she's been a fuddy-duddy :-p
    The_Shotz wrote: »
    We'll have to try organise a few sessions together, dodgeball one week, roller derby the next!

Why would anybody want to play dodgeball of their own free will? It's the nightmare of most kids who grew up in the States (excluding the bullies of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

done and done. best of luck from us @ Waterford shadows inline hockey club!
    i'll try and post a link to our fb page.
    good luck ladies!

It's the nightmare of most kids who grew up in the States (excluding the bullies of course).

Ha, I can feel you on that one! Another American in Portlaw? I'm shocked with as small as this village is someone hasn't mentioned the existence of another expat blow in to me!

Ha, I can feel you on that one! Another American in Portlaw? I'm shocked with as small as this village is someone hasn't mentioned the existence of another expat blow in to me!

Haha :-p I'm living down at the five crossroads and only pop in to the village to get milk at centra and the like, and I don't have a really noticeable American accent (though it's obvious I'm not Irish), so maybe that's why word isn't out.

How long have you been in Portlaw? Where in the States are you from?

My girlfriend and I want to get active with the roller derby team (she as a player, me as a ref) but we can't at the moment due to some financial issues, but hopefully once things get more stable at work we'll be able to join you all. I'm sure at some point our paths will cross in the village :-p

I found a really nice comfort in the roller derby community in Ireland (we do a lot of joint events with the other teams) as obviously derby attracts an alternative element (not exclusively, but still) and there is a nice openness to everyone. Definitely get involved when you can! Or even drop into the next open day (Wednesday 11th September, from 6:30 to 8:00pm in Cill Barra Sports Centre) to meet everyone, there are a lot of ways to start getting involved now that don't require a large financial commitment at all (off skate officials and the like, will help you learn the game!). Something to consider.

I have a similar accent thing going, I run a market stall and while people can't always say I'm American they know I'm not Irish. I came over in 2006 and have been living in Portlaw since 2007-- that said, we're emigrating end of the year! So if you are in the market for a nice rental in the middle of the village... oh yes.

Well hopefully soon enough we'll be able to get active, but probably it'd be from October. I'm not bad on wheels myself, as I used to do a lot of inline hockey when I was a child (I'd be rusty now, though).

Yesterday I heard that I sound eastern European; I've also heard French, German, and Swedish before. I'm guessing after living abroad for many years, it can't help but affect you.

If you don't mind saying, where are you off to at the end of the year? Might be a country I've lived in :-)

What are you selling from your stall, and where do you set up?

• Advertisement

There is always the inline hockey team you can join, they practice in the same hall as us-- but of course we'd rather recruit you to our side!

Back to the states, actually-- Florida, which isn't my first choice, just happens to be where my parents are living and we have a bit of a safety net in that case.

I set up my stall in Butlerstown Market at the retail park beside Harvey Norman, and then Duckspool Fair which is abbeyside, Dungarvan. Pretty delicious treats, if I say so myself.

Florida? Ew. :-p I understand about going where there's a safety net, though. You seem (judging from what I've seen) to be kind of the heart of the roller derby group - I wonder if it'll fall to pieces once you leave?

I might have to pass by Butlerstown Market one of these Saturdays to see if the treats really are delicious. Anyway hopefully we'll see you around for roller derby soon enough.

Florida? Ew. :-p I understand about going where there's a safety net, though. You seem (judging from what I've seen) to be kind of the heart of the roller derby group - I wonder if it'll fall to pieces once you leave?

I might have to pass by Butlerstown Market one of these Saturdays to see if the treats really are delicious. Anyway hopefully we'll see you around for roller derby soon enough.

We're not going anywhere don't you worry ;-)

So great news everyone, we won!!!! Thanks for all your votes :-) And keep an eye out for news of our first home bout, happening real soon :-)

So great news everyone, we won!!!! Thanks for all your votes :-) And keep an eye out for news of our first home bout, happening real soon :-)

That's great news, both that the team is here to stay, and that you've won the competition and will get to host your first home bout!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Brillant news. Should get on Billy McCarthy's Deise AM to promote this.

Don't worry, they will keep things moving! Everyone is very dedicated, and now we've got loads of cash thanks to Bom to host our own bout!
    And we've new freshmeat coming in to train up soon!

(also second you on the ew Florida remark!)

Advertisement