Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Cocaine addictive, not unless ur dumb enough to use it every night you go out

Occasionally its fine

Me Hole it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

hey were sent in as decoys why were they given 11kg's?

Surely they'd give them a smaller amount if that was the case?

as per my speculation previously, they may have given them that amount, so if caught, it was just under the limit of harsher sentence...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Why?:confused:

Are you serious? Detroit is 90% Black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Anybody find it weird that they are swapping their clothes?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/22/article-2399473-1B663E60000005DC-364_634x566.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1308200/thumbs/o-MICHAELLA-MCCOLLUM-CONNOLLY-570.jpg?5

I'm guessing they are trying to keep up appearances by not going to court wearing the same clothes two days in a row...i don't think the reality of the situation has kicked in yet, how you look on camera should be the last thing on your mind, right now.

Unless they are going for the mistaken identity plea:

Michealla - "Sure the girl you were looking for was wearing a black jacket, i'm wearing green"...Boom case thrown out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I don't quite think that's what they were doing though. It was one mistake (I presume) that ended up wrong. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they had done it before.

And perhaps I'm being too harsh but...

Imagine they got through. 2 months later, funds are running low. Would they go on another run? Of course they would. They may not even have to be asked.

• Advertisement

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Are you serious? Detroit is 90% Black.

And your point is?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Cocaine addictive, not unless ur dumb enough to use it every night you go out

Occasionally its fine

So it's addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hazys wrote: »

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/22/article-2399473-1B663E60000005DC-364_634x566.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1308200/thumbs/o-MICHAELLA-MCCOLLUM-CONNOLLY-570.jpg?5

I'm guessing they are trying to keep up appearances by not going to court wearing the same clothes two days in a row...i don't think the reality of the situation has kicked in yet, how you look on camera should be the last thing on your mind, right now.
    no

Hazys wrote: »

I was thinking similar when i saw the pics initially, but i'd say it's for comfort also.
    Imagine wearing the same jeans/top for 2-3 weeks. Chafing would be an understatement.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

And your point is?:confused:

lol, you like to play dumb or what?
    You really don't have any clue how racially segregated American prisons are?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, this once ;)

• Advertisement

Me Hole it is!
    i have to say before addiction kicks in it's still one of the nastiest drugs out there....turns people into paranoid assholes in an instant...( including my younger self)

i have to say before addiction kicks in it's still one of the nastiest drugs out there....turns people into paranoid assholes in an instant...( including my younger self)

And aggressive, annoying, in-your-face mouthpieces.

keith16 wrote: »
    For anyone that has sympathy for them, think of it this way.

Imagine you go to Ibiza, to whatever the "nice" part of the island is.

It's a bit more pricey but you are at least away from all the louts.

Now imagine a small group of those louts invading the nice part and with it, your peace and quiet. They are staying in or near the same hotel, and are generally being loud annoying cùnts with money to burn and are ruining your holiday.

You grumble to the barman / nearest local who informs you on who they are and they largely earn their money from drug runs to South America, and they are a year round scourge on the island.

How much sympathy would you have for them then, knowing that they are fuelling a massive drug supply and are rubbing everyone else's face in it?
    the same amount of sympathy...you get loud c*nts on holidays...

Allyall wrote: »
    And aggressive, annoying, in-your-face mouthpieces.
    "ah man you're so sound"
    "no man you're so sound"
    "ah seriously you're awesome"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭justanotherone

Gawd, its probably the wrong time and place, and it has probably been said before, but mark my words, if Max Clifford is around in about 6 years once they get out, I think anything is possible. In the good old days, you had to have a talent to become famous. Now, you just need to get noticed, to become infamous, to get yourself in the public eye. These days, there seems to be no concept of "shame". You just turn it into an opportunity. And once you are there it is how you play it. In about 6 years they will still be reasonably young, and possibly photogenic;

10 to 20 K for a British Tabloid TV show to get the " First Interview "
    100 K to 250 K for a British Tabloid newspaper " Exclusive ".
    50 to 100 K for a British Broadsheet " Exclusive "
    100 K advance on a book deal
    100 K for the subsequent TV rights.

and if either of them can come across any way eloquent and contrite, there could be a " Media Career " out of it.

Who would want to bet against any of that ...

lol, you like to play dumb or what?
    You really don't have any clue how racially segregated American prisons are?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, this once ;)
    US prisoners are not racially segregated, you do know what segregated means I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

You just turn it into an opportunity. And once you are there it is how you play it. In about 6 years they will still be reasonably young, and possibly photogenic;

Not if they escape and make it back to Scotland and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

whats with the big bun !

Gawd, its probably the wrong time and place, and it has probably been said before, but mark my words, if Max Clifford is around in about 6 years once they get out, I think anything is possible. In the good old days, you had to have a talent to become famous. Now, you just need to get noticed, to become infamous, to get yourself in the public eye. These days, there seems to be no concept of "shame". You just turn it into an opportunity. And once you are there it is how you play it. In about 6 years they will still be reasonably young, and possibly photogenic;

and if either of them can come across any way eloquent and contrite, there could be a " Media Career " out of it.

there is a good chance he will still be behind bars himself!

play their cards right and they will be free in 3 years and rich...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭justanotherone

Do you mean " Escape " as in escape from Alcatraz or Colditz ? And get all the way back from Peru ?

Or escape, as in go through the legal process and be found innocent ?

I think a prison sentence is likely here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Do you mean " Escape " as in escape from Alcatraz or Colditz ? And get all the way back from Peru ?

Or escape, as in go through the legal process and be found innocent ?

I think a prison sentence is likely here.

the escape kit is in the bun

The rest of the escape kit is in the Pringles can.

Fire the lawyer and send in this guy......

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Me Hole it is!

Strangly enough Cocaine is not physically addictive, unlike say heroin. I was quite surprised when i found that out. Not that it can't be psychologically addictive and it's not to say there aren't other risks involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Why is whenever that lawyer opens his mouth I am instantly reminded of that Simpsons episode where Lionel Hutz imagines a world without lawyers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

jank wrote: »
    Whatever about if they are guilty or not (and I think its obvious that they are a guilty as hell) they will earn a fortune from a book deal of sorts. Expect it to be accompanied by their own fashion label and perfume.

and as stupid as it'll be, it'll still be a better read than "PS I love you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    Feel for those poor people who hired these mules...they have made a serious loss :(
    The mules were idiots. The people who hired them lost their cocaine :(
    How's it going Pablo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

THE district prosecutor in Lima has accused Michaella McCollum Connolly and Melissa Reid of trying to ‘dupe’ the court with an ‘incoherent’ story.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/peru-prosecutors-accuse-michaella-of-trying-to-dupe-officers-with-kidnap-story-29519825.html

So they're not really buying the story

Boombastic wrote: »
    THE district prosecutor in Lima has accused Michaella McCollum Connolly and Melissa Reid of trying to ‘dupe’ the court with an ‘incoherent’ story.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/peru-prosecutors-accuse-michaella-of-trying-to-dupe-officers-with-kidnap-story-29519825.html

So they're not really buying the story

A couple of "dupes", no bun intended :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Is there no CCTV/evidence of them being kidnapped in Ibiza? (Assuming of course they are telling the truth)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

On the positive side, a few years down the line and they could realise that this episode will have saved them from the slippery slope of a partying lifestyle in Ibiza.. granted of course, that they get to serve their sentence in the safer women's prison, and they dont get lengthy sentences.

fletch wrote: »
    Is there no CCTV/evidence of them being kidnapped in Ibiza? (Assuming of course they are telling the truth)

No, the kidnappers were wearing these which made it very hard for the CCTV to detect. It also explains why they were not detected on the Aeroplanes or in the Airports.

The more i think about it, it just doesn't make sense. Why didn't they just use them to cover the cocaine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

I would, what a crock!

You're living in some fairy land if you think these mules will profit from this story, where are all these others flogging books and doing interviews. Only a small minority achieve this and only because they keep themselves relevant and newsworthy.....they are in Peru on the other side of the planet.

People are interested in the drama that unfolds right now not the drama that happened 3-10 years ago. How many dramatic news discussion threads have come and gone just as quickly on Boards? A hell of a lot.

In 6-10 years time they'll be yesterday's news and nobody will care because we'll all still be concentrating on the 'here & now', they'll be just a casual afterthought. People will more than likely go 'Who? Oh yeah....what happened to them in the end anyways?'

An episode of 'Banged Up Abroad' at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/08/21/scuba-diver-caught-smuggling-drugs-across-u-s-canada-border/

Not as serious a case, obviously, but the Americans give looooong sentences for drug offenses, even marijuana. He might even get longer than these two in Peru! Detroit won't be a nice place for a young Canadian White man to be incarcerated either.

apparently he has this tattoo http://www.funnypictures.net.au/images/tattoo-back-naked-woman.JPG

(bit nsfw.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

just replying in this thread doesnt mean you "care" about it!

I was reading a thread about which of the 7 dwarves id like to bang earlier!

Doesnt mean I care about that

I bet it's Sleepy isn't it?

fletch wrote: »

The women, and their sideshow lawyer, are forgetting honesty is the best policy. The district prosecutor in Lima basically feels these two are taking pistachio with their fantasy story.

These two didn't just decide "let's go to Peru". They were more than likely told they could make a quick buck moving some drugs from Peru to Spain, loads of people do it etc. That contact/handler that got them over there and/or told them what to do, has a name, a face, a physical description. Michaela and Melissa seem reluctant to give evidence of anybody else involved in this case.

That "someone anonymous" line from their story is just hilarious. They couldn't bring themselves to say it was Barney the Dinosaur that made them do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

A lot of people here dont realise that ~270 drug mules were arrested in Peru in the last 12 months.

That is the scale of things there.

The women, and their sideshow lawyer, are forgetting honesty is the best policy. The district prosecutor in Lima basically feels these two are taking pistachio with their fantasy story.

These two didn't just decide "let's go to Peru". They were more than likely told they could make a quick buck moving some drugs from Peru to Spain, loads of people do it etc. That contact/handler that got them over there and/or told them what to do, has a name, a face, a physical description. Michaela and Melissa seem reluctant to give evidence of anybody else involved in this case.

That "someone anonymous" line from their story is just hilarious. They couldn't bring themselves to say it was Barney the Dinosaur that made them do it.

Yeah.
    Why, at this stage do they continue to persist with the "kidnappers". Are they that daft, or do they intend on paying someone to get out?

Why wouldn't they tell who it is?
    I know if my Sister/Daughter/Wife/Mother was facing a prison sentence of anywhere between 2 and 25 years, i would be telling them to name everyone, get as many photographs that you can, give the names of anybody else on Ibiza that you know that saw these people, etc.. Basically give them as much information as is possible, and go the extra mile with the details.

It's obvious these f****ing scumbags don't give one single shít about them.
    Yet, they insist on protecting them, sticking to their bull story, annoying the Peruvian Justice system, and facing a lengthy jail time.

It just gets stupider and stupider.
    The damage is done, they got caught. How they act now, is most likely what will determine their future.
    I wouldn't care how 'connected' the scumbags seemed, i'd hand over every single one of them that i knew of. I highly doubt that they have as much connections as they made out, nor would i fear they'll murder my family.

Okay, so they knew a few scumbags in Peru.
    If they were very well connected, it's unlikely they'd be recruiting teenage girl Mules in Ibiza. More likely that they'd be shipping their own stuff in to Europe.
    Squash them while they're still relatively small.

Look at the size of those seizures compared to the piddly little 11kg these girls had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

On the positive side, a few years down the line and they could realise that this episode will have saved them from the slippery slope of a partying lifestyle in Ibiza.. granted of course, that they get to serve their sentence in the safer women's prison, and they dont get lengthy sentences.

Ehhhh....

I suppose I can see what you're saying, IF they get shorter sentences, looking unlikely now though.
    I'd still prefer to have to deal with hard partying daughters/sisters etc in Ibiza, than have them locked up in Peru for a couple of years minimum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I keep on reading posts that are refering to "Banged Up Abroad"

So whats is this about.......

1-Getting locked up in jail abroad?

2-Getting pregnant abroad?

3-Some durty porno film that is dubbed in English?

paddy147 wrote: »

best just avoid it....basically if you haven't a clue about anything and you see a thread like this you just reply "ooh have they never seen banged up abroad" and then walk away thinking you are the first person to say it, feeling pretty good about yourself!

US prisoners are not racially segregated, you do know what segregated means I presume.

they may not be officially segregated, but the jails are segregated.
    Black gangs, hispanic gangs, white gangs.
    In Detroit the black gangs outnumber the other gangs.

its a **** hole of a city, even if you never went to prison.

best just avoid it....basically if you haven't a clue about anything and you see a thread like this you just reply "ooh have they never seen banged up abroad" and then walk away thinking you are the first person to say it, feeling pretty good about yourself!

Oh so it is about getting pregnant abroad.

Ah right I see now.....:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

paddy147 wrote: »

Getting pregnant after making a porno while being locked up could well be the result of this case.Its not like similar things didnt happen before.

Does the solicitor know that holding cells and prison cells are not like hotel rooms in the Hilton Hotel or Holiday Inn.

He does know that right??

I think the media sympathy vote is fading fast now,and also seen as that the Peruvian authorities have more or less said,we dont believe the girls at all,they are lieing.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

That wish list they've requested is a joke. I suppose it is before they were charged. ...But really, what were they thinking, pringles?! Croissants?!

But.. but if they'd asked for Taytos we'd all be cheering (:

We're probably not going to hear anything from them, from now until the Court Case, which could be a year and a half away.
    The Media will publish less and less about them, and eventually stop (probably by next week).

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/women-charged-in-peru-over-drug-smuggling-are-refused-bail-1.1500827
    The public prosecutor said that their story was “incoherent”. The prosecutor’s office said it will seek a custodial sentence of between 8-15 years.
    The judge said there was enough evidence to formally charge them with drug trafficking. Miss McCollum and Miss Reid were both charged with the illegal trafficking of just over 5kg of cocaine.
    A surprise change in the law on Tuesday meant that the hearing which was supposed to be held in private was actually held in public.

The women deny the drug trafficking allegations and claim they were forced to carry the bags by armed men.
    If they contest the charges it is estimated that they will have to wait a year and a half if not longer if the before the case goes to trial.
    If they plead guilty the case might come before the court in six months.

They must see, that at this stage, Guilty or not, they would be better off pleading guilty..
    They could be out by 2017.
    If they choose to stick with their bullshít story, then it could be 2015 before they go to court, and then 2025 before they get out early.
    I would be screaming at them, "TELL THE F***ING TRUTH!!" if they were related to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Allyall wrote: »
    They must see, that at this stage, Guilty or not, they would be better off pleading guilty..
    They could be out by 2017.
    If they choose to stick with their bullshít story, then it could be 2015 before they go to court, and then 2025 before they get out early.
    I would be screaming at them, "TELL THE F***ING TRUTH!!" if they were related to me.

Perhaps they are telling the truth?

• Advertisement
Advertisement