Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The mail seem to be the best source of up to date info on this case....which is surprising.

They both look pretty much in shock to me. I see that Melissa's dad brought in a materess to the prison. Will Michaella get one too...and will they get to keep them?

The story has pretty much run it's course for now I reckon. Probably a few more statements from Madden and a few more minor revalations from the tabloids and that will be it.
    Story dead until the trial....unless they change their plea.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

What would a similar charge in Ireland get, out of interest? I know Ireland's judicial system are quite leniant....

This fella was caught with 18kg and was given a partly suspended sentence!
    Conroy pleaded guilty to possession of 18,000 grammes of cocaine in a garage beside his home on September 11, 2009.

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/gardas-son-freed-over-drugs-find-at-his-home-27983438.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Montroseee wrote: »
    Sorry, but this is simply not true.

As was posted above http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/gardas-son-freed-over-drugs-find-at-his-home-27983438.html

Many more stories like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This fella was caught with 18kg and was given a partly suspended sentence!

The reason for that is below

'The court had previously heard his father and grandfather were gardai and his cousin is a serving member'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

The reason for that is below

'The court had previously heard his father and grandfather were gardai and his cousin is a serving member'

Why would did that make a difference to his sentence??

Any other person would have gotten 10+ years yet because his relation were Gardai he got a suspended sentence??

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Why would did that make a difference to his sentence??

Any other person would have gotten 10+ years yet because his relation were Gardai he got a suspended sentence??

you answered your own question

gowley wrote: »
    you answered your own question

So any criminal in the country has free reign if daddy was a Garda??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

So any criminal in the country has free reign if daddy was a Garda??

The answer to that is NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

What would a similar charge in Ireland get, out of interest? I know Ireland's judicial system are quite leniant....

You are correct about the Irish system being very lenient.

The biggest cocaine seizure in Irish history(1500kgs) off the West Cork coast and also one of the biggest in Europe a few years back and each man only got 10 years,in 2009.They will probably be out in 3 years time.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0508/117123-corkdrugs/

The answer to that is NO

Then why did that chap get a suspended sentence due to ex-garda and current serving family members??

Great way to gain support for our legal system :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭theSHU

Then why did that chap get a suspended sentence due to ex-garda and current serving family members??

Great way to gain support for our legal system :rolleyes:

The judges in Ireland are soft and out of touch. The 29th amendment should be liberally applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Correlation != Causation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You are correct about the Irish system being very lenient.

The biggest cocaine seizure in Irish history(1500kgs) off the West Cork coast and also one of the biggest in Europe a few years back and each man only got 10 years,in 2009.They will probably be out in 3 years time.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0508/117123-corkdrugs/

Conversely you could also get 30 years for a similar offence (I doubt his not guilty plea is solely responsible for the 20 year difference)
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0420/world/dunlough-bay-cocaine-smuggler-loses-appeal-228902.html

Not sure what picking one-off cases and saying 'Ireland is lenient' or 'Ireland is harsh' is supposed to prove anyway, especially when people know nothing about the case other than a few cliffnotes in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭geoffrie1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

geoffrie1 wrote: »

Who added those hashtags, is that from facebook or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Correlation != Causation.

Great....i suppose they gave him back the coke too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭theSHU

Daily Mail
    A lawyer for the prosecution said they did not believe the women were forced to smuggle the drugs because, by their own declaration, ‘they had many chances to ask for help’. He also pointed to the photographs on Melissa’s camera which showed them doing tourist activities in Lima and Cuzco – in particular a picture in which they allegedly posed with a police officer.
    He said the prosecution felt they had not told the truth in police interviews, adding that CCTV near their hotel in Lima did not show them with anyone else. The hotel manager also claimed they were alone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2399473/Peru-drug-mules-wishlist-families-didnt-time-buy-going-cell.html

Has this picture been released. Pretty devastating to their defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

geoffrie1 wrote: »

I presume that's the friend she dumped over there.
    They went over together, and she was into other things that the friend wasn't.
    Did i read that in this thread or the original? Or did i read it somewhere else?

Either way, i'd say that friend is over the moon they didn't stick together, but probably holed away somewhere from the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Not sure what picking one-off cases and saying 'Ireland is lenient' or 'Ireland is harsh' is supposed to prove anyway, especially when people know nothing about the case other than a few cliffnotes in the papers.

Indeed, analysts on the ditch aplenty. Not much point comparing sentencing in different jurisdictions, let alone analysing with nothing other than hearsay.

theSHU wrote: »

All those pictures.
    It would also be very easy to also get any pictures that they may have deleted, and any exif data if they were taken with a digital camera, as opposed to a film one.

I'd say there is stacks more evidence against them, and the Police just haven't released it yet.
    They are in a sense, actually giving them a very fair chance to come clean, instead of mouthing about the system, and bullshítting about the kidnappers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Allyall wrote: »
    All those pictures.
    It would also be very easy to also get any pictures that they may have deleted, and any exif data if they were taken with a digital camera, as opposed to a film one.

I'd say there is stacks more evidence against them, and the Police just haven't released it yet.
    They are in a sense, actually giving them a very fair chance to come clean, instead of mouthing about the system, and bullshítting about the kidnappers.

I'd say one of them will crack (if you erm pardon the unintended pun) and they will come clean. Life will be unbearable for them by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

@IbizaTimes: Can't wait to rave in #Ibiza!!” I do this every night yassss

Melissa's final tweet - 16th July

Melissa's final tweet - 16th July

That must have been around the time they went to Peru? Michaella was reported missing on the 27th i think, and she had been missing at least a week.

https://twitter.com/ReidMreid50

• Advertisement

Bit ironic that she has a heap of tweets moaning about her mom making her weigh her bags over and over again because of Ryanair's baggage fees.

She wasn't too worried about the extra weight in Peru..
    keith16 wrote: »
    I'd say one of them will crack (if you erm pardon the unintended pun) and they will come clean. Life will be unbearable for them by the sounds of things.

My money would be on Melissa, as i she seems to have a better grasp on the reality of what's happening, in the pictures.

what picture, that link just shows them at court, whats so devastating?

Jake1 wrote: »
    what picture, that link just shows them at court, whats so devastating?

There are apparently one or two pics of the girls, or at least one of them, posing with a police officer in Peru..
    If they ever had the perfect opportunity to cry for help, that was it.
    Melissa ‏@ReidMreid50 23 May @hammertoedoug i might not even come home from ibiza haha

Hide conversation

10:07 AM - 23 May 13 · Details

How come on some of her posts, it says ReidMreid50's account is protected? When it isn't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I think this little video clip says it all now at this stage.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

If found guilty i have zero sympathy for them, this story reeks of bull****, they didnt care about the lives they might ruin by smuggling the coke, all the families who have to deal with a loved one on drugs, why should we care about their lives if found guilty they deserve whatever they get, dont buy the idea of ah sure there only young and made a mistake, more like they where probably greedy wanted easy money without giving a **** about others, seems like they will be found guilty and if they are i hope they get the full sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Montroseee wrote: »
    Sorry, but this is simply not true.

1000e, suspended sentence. Not unheard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If found guilty i have zero sympathy for them, this story reeks of bull****, they didnt care about the lives they might ruin by smuggling the coke, all the families who have to deal with a loved one on drugs, why should we care about their lives if found guilty they deserve whatever they get, dont buy the idea of ah sure there only young and made a mistake, more like they where probably greedy wanted easy money without giving a **** about others, seems like they will be found guilty and if they are i hope they get the full sentence.

Personal responsibility. If a person takes drugs it's their fault, nobody else's. It's easy to assign blame to the drug dealers but if people didn't want them and take them, they wouldn't have a market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Stepping in dodgey territory there no? I'd imagine excruciating death awaits those who name names.

Rather like the Mexican cartels who bump people off by putting a blowtorch to their faces?

me bolly wrote: »
    Rather like the Mexican cartels who bump people off by putting a blowtorch to their faces?

More like the average scumbag with a few extra connections.

Nothing like the Mexicans. - http://www.elpasotimes.com/juarez

Every time i read that section of that paper, i can't help thinking it must be the most rancid place on earth. For the last two weeks they have been beheading people whom they believe to be a hindrance to their 'business', and leaving their heads around Juarez with notes of warning to others.
    And that's not near the worst of it.

Can't imagine they'd be getting away with that in Ibiza, for a start, their tourists/customers would diminish to zero in the first week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There is a minimum mandatory sentence of 10 years if you are in possession of c. €15,000 of drugs.

Unless the judge doesnt fancy going with the mandatory sentence.........

Sure werent they threatening to go on strike over mandatory sentences being imposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Allyall wrote: »
    More like the average scumbag with a few extra connections.

Nothing like the Mexicans. - http://www.elpasotimes.com/juarez

Every time i read that section of that paper, i can't help thinking it must be the most rancid place on earth. For the last two weeks they have been beheading people whom they believe to be a hindrance to their 'business', and leaving their heads around Juarez with notes of warning to others.
    And that's not near the worst of it.

Can't imagine they'd be getting away with that in Ibiza, for a start, their tourists/customers would diminish to zero in the first week.

have seen some of the gulf cartel handywork on bestgore.messed up stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

In all my 9 years on boards, this thread has the most crap I've ever seen in one discussion.

And most of it is coming from people on high horses who are almost celebrating the situation that the girls are in.

So ****ing what if pringles are in the list of things that they want brought in to them. They're in an extremely unfamiliar territory and maybe a familiar food will give them some comfort.

And so what if they've swapped clothing. Did it occur to those who've been slagging them that the authorities just MIGHT have kept some of their clothing as evidence?

Yes they may have broken the law. That's still to be proved in a court of law. But kicking them when they're down, using such irrelevant and nonsensical points about pringles and clothes says an awful lot about the posters who posted such drivel.

It's not just the two girls who need to grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

kraggy wrote: »
    In all my 9 years on boards, this thread has the most crap I've ever seen in one discussion.

And most of it is coming from people on high horses who are almost celebrating the situation that the girls are in.

So ****ing what if pringles are in the list of things that they want brought in to them. They're in an extremely unfamiliar territory and maybe a familiar food will give them some comfort.

And so what if they've swapped clothing. Did it occur to those who've been slagging them that the authorities just MIGHT have kept some of their clothing as evidence?

Yes they may have broken the law. That's still to be proved in a court of law. But kicking them when they're down, using such irrelevant and nonsensical points about pringles and clothes says an awful lot about the posters who posted such drivel.

It's not just the two girls who need to grow up.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Think about that one for just a second.

I didn't notice anyone almost celebrating, but i didn't read the whole thread.

Just saw the Mail - It's Virgen de Fatima Prison

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2400232/The-Peru-Two-told-spend-years-notorious-Fatima-Virgen-prison-bullying-prostitution-rife.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

As for the shopping list, i think that just shows how naive the girls are.

They may not have been held at gunpoint, and there is no doubt in my mind that they made matters worse for themselves with both the public, and the Peruvian Justice system, by sticking to that kidnapping story. But i do believe that they were taken advantage of, used for their naivety, and their love of a lifestyle that they probably shouldn't have even seen. Unfortunately it's the world today, that it's so rife.

All the crap on TV and especially in the rags that are publishing this story the most, seems to semi-glorify cocaine use and the lifestyle.

The papers here for example, still talk about Katy French, as though she was a victim/some sort of Angel. I'm not trying to get into a discussion about her. She knew before she died the perils of cocaine, yet continued to take it. My point in that case, is that the papers don't do enough to stress that. They're too busy telling us how great she was.

Going by the story i believe is closer to the truth -
    These girls, apparently went to mainland Spain on a drug run, and it went without flaw.
    They probably came back as some sort of Heroes, and loved it.
    Went on this run, and thought it would be as easy, it wasn't, and they still don't seem to realise that they were used (They can't remember any names etc.).
    They are, in a sense as much a victim, as the people that are beaten in the street for moving in on someones turf.
    These girls are incredibly naive, and may should serve as a warning for future people/potential mules.
    If they tell their story in it's full, People similar to them, will know when they are being taken for a ride, or at least may double think certain situations.
    Telling the story about the kidnapping, is only protecting the scumbags in Ibiza, and allowing them to use someone else to do the same thing when this has died down.

Lies just create more and more problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

Think about that one for just a second.

Knew you would say that. You're still reading this "crap" discussion.

have seen some of the gulf cartel handywork on bestgore.messed up stuff

Did you know the owner of bestgore.com has been arrested in Canada for the Orwellian-sounding charge of "corrupting morals" :rolleyes:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2013/07/17/edmonton-best-gore-marek-charged.html

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Did you know the owner of bestgore.com has been arrested in Canada for the Orwellian-sounding charge of "corrupting morals" :rolleyes:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2013/07/17/edmonton-best-gore-marek-charged.html

He's been arrested a couple of times, has he not? Marky mark or something.. too lazy to look it up, even having trouble typing, very tired.

Horrible site anyway, but i do get some of his point(s), that it's happening and it could happen in front of you etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

So they wear each others clothes instead of their own? :confused:

It screams to me that they still don't actually realise the **** they are in. Still concerned with public perception, with something as stupid as what they are wearing.

SantryRed wrote: »

It screams to me that they still don't actually realise the **** they are in. Still concerned with public perception, with something as stupid as what they are wearing.

It may have been a comfort issue also.
    It may have been many things, i don't see why it should be an issue on the grand scale of things, which is what i think Kraggy is pointing out.
    It may be what you are saying too, but using a different approach.

As i said, i should stop posting tonight, i'm falling asleep at keyboard waiting for results to come in on a job... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Amazingfun wrote: »

“The allegation is that Luka Magnotta sent that email to the website owned and operated by Mr. Marek," said Staff Sgt. Bill Clark.

"And that Mr. Marek willingly and knowingly — knowing the content of that video — placed it on his website for the public or anybody accessing that site to view.”

Edmonton homicide detectives began investigating the website and video in June 2012, following the slaying of Lin in Montreal.

Based on those allegations I think charges are appropriate.

Based on those allegations I think charges are appropriate.

Well, I hope you find a good paying position in the 'thought police' then.

"Corrupting Morals"......give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Ah come one, that's one hell of a leap. It screams to me that they probably haven't a lot to wear.

I'd bet they fully realise the sh!t they are in. They've had little chance to think about anything else over the last couple of weeks.

I'm going to make a leap of my own here. Some of the comments from posters on this thread scream to me "I don't like pretty girls who think they can use their looks to get what they want. These types of girls are too stuck up to even notice me. Therefore, I'm going to take a smug sense of satisfaction from what these two girls are going through."

I mean having a go at them for requesting Pringles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

They need to wear clothes! All their luggage is probably in evidence lock-up! They probably have few clothes so why not swap? Whether it's for public perception or their own comfort, liitle pleasures is all they have now.

Someone posted a video of a banged up abroad peru of two american girls whose story seems very similar to these girls. It seems very believeable as the girls seem extremely naive and it seemed like they were so easy to control and dupe.

Based on their story, much of the Irish and Scottish girls story could be true.

The American girls were shown a good time in the USA. They asked if they wanted holiday of a lifetime in Peru, in return for bringing back coke.

Once in Peru they had their passports taken, kept semi-prisoner (they had a phone but were too naive to use as they had no Spanish and didn't know who to call, plus they still expected a holiday!) made to do some touristy stuff, given the bags on their last day, never actually saw the coke and were sent to the airport.

So, in a way, much, if not all, of the current pair's story could be true, and may be why they are sticking to it.

It's hard to believe, but listening to those American girls, naivety can lead to unbelieveable stories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

kylith wrote: »
    Well, when you called them very young girls who didn't understand the gravity of the situation it did kind of sound like you were trying to make excuses for them.

Yeah, bad phrasing on my part!

Advertisement