Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I mean having a go at them for requesting Pringles...

I've talked to prison officers here about what happens in Irish prisons. You wouldn't donate to some well known Irish charities ever again from what I've been told. One charity provides prisoners with cigarettes at Christmas time for example. Requesting Pringles to be supplied by their parents isn't a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Well, I hope you find a good paying position in the 'thought police' then.

"Corrupting Morals"......give me a break.

He helped a guy who wanted internet fame by hosting his video of him raping, mutilating, killing, raping again and further mutilating a man! Nice thoughs! He should be glad the charges are only corrupting morals. That body was mailed all over Canada and his head was not found for weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

SantryRed wrote: »
    So they wear each others clothes instead of their own? :confused:

It screams to me that they still don't actually realise the **** they are in. Still concerned with public perception, with something as stupid as what they are wearing.

What's the first thing you want when you're feeling grubby? A change of clothes.

Doesn't matter if they've been worn already. You just want a change.

My point is, that everyone is picking irrelevant issues in a sneering and smug manner. Whatever you think about the two girls, they have families that have been, and will be, affected by all this. I doubt they'd want to see their daughter/sister be brought through the mud on an Internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

He helped a guy who wanted internet fame by hosting his video of him raping, mutilating, killing, raping again and further mutilating a man! Nice thoughs! He should be glad the charges are only corrupting morals. That body was mailed all over Canada and his head was not found for weeks.

He is part of why that psycho was caught in the first place.
    You would know that if you read up about the timeline leading to killer's arrest.
    Marek should be given a medal, but in the no-free speech zone Canada is fast becoming, he gets a police invasion instead.

Unbelievable.

Btw: the arresting officer admitted he'd never even heard of this charge before.
    I'd love to know what "morals" were "corrupted" , lol.....

• Advertisement

He is part of why that psycho was caught in the first place.
    You would know that if you read up about the timeline leading to killer's arrest.
    Marek should be given a medal, but in the no-free speech zone Canada is fast becoming, he gets a police invasion instead.

Unbelievable.

I was following it at the time, but I'm sure I'm missing lots of details, such as like you say, I didn't know what part this guy played. How did he help the police?

The fact that Luca wanted internet fame so bad that he did this and filmed it, and that Marek helped him get that fame might be why he got charged.

It's off-topic for this thread, but what harm, freedom of speech! :pac:

Btw: the arresting officer admitted he'd never even heard of this charge before.
    I'd love to know what "morals" were "corrupted" , lol.....

Some highschool teacher in Quebec got sacked coz he showed the video to his pupils! I would not think that you could corrupt someones morals so easily.

I was following it at the time, but I'm sure I'm missing lots of details, such as like you say, I didn't know what part this guy played. How did he help the police?

The fact that Luca wanted internet fame so bad that he did this and filmed it, and that Marek helped him get that fame might be why he got charged.

It's off-topic for this thread, but what harm, freedom of speech! :pac:

Yes, you will have to read up more on Mark's actions and motivations yourself as I have to go to sleep now, lol. This site references it:
    http://focusontherainbow2.wordpress.com/2012/06/02/did-website-bestgore-com-implicate-luka-magnotta/

There was a group of cyber-animal rights activists who were tracking Magnotta as well, and they too were part of how he was finally caught. I think 48 hours did a special on it, you can watch it for free online.

Goodnight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

I think why the clothes swapping got highlighted at all or even the bizarre shopping list for that matter is that to outside observers it looks like the girls are not treating the situation seriously. I think that due to the photos released in the press and everything we've seen so far people assume both girls harbour a high level of vanity, whether right or wrong this perceived vanity in turn colours how people read their behaviour. Admittedly when I saw the girl Michaella smirk as she sees the press pack I was a bit shocked , it shows a dichotomy in behaviour, this distraught crushed girl smirking as she sees a group of reporters and cameras. Again, this is my own feeling on the matter, it makes her look disingenuous. The shopping list if anything shows a level of immaturity in my eyes, instead of showing them as not taking the situation seriously you see that they have the eating habits of a home alone 14 yr old. The public perception however could easily be that neither of the girls are treating the situation with the respect or gravitas it deserves. There is going to be a minority of people who will derive glee from seeing two 'attractive (with a bit of makeup)' party girls getting their comeuppance for living a life based on debauched drug addled partying and thinking they can break the law to their own ends.
    kraggy wrote: »
    What's the first thing you want when you're feeling grubby? A change of clothes.

Doesn't matter if they've been worn already. You just want a change.

My point is, that everyone is picking irrelevant issues in a sneering and smug manner. Whatever you think about the two girls, they have families that have been, and will be, affected by all this. I doubt they'd want to see their daughter/sister be brought through the mud on an Internet forum.

Admittedly when I saw the girl Michaella smirk as she sees the press pack I was a bit shocked , it shows a dichotomy in behaviour, this distraught crushed girl smirking as she sees a group of reporters and cameras. Again, this is my own feeling on the matter, it makes her look disingenuous.

Reminded me of the following video about lies and body language. Skip to 14.48, something called "duping delight". It gives examples of people telling the truth and people telling lies, plus how to spot those lies.

http://www.ted.com/talks/pamela_meyer_how_to_spot_a_liar.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I think why the clothes swapping got highlighted at all or even the bizarre shopping list for that matter is that to outside observers it looks like the girls are not treating the situation seriously. I think that due to the photos released in the press and everything we've seen so far people assume both girls harbour a high level of vanity, whether right or wrong this perceived vanity in turn colours how people read their behaviour. Admittedly when I saw the girl Michaella smirk as she sees the press pack I was a bit shocked , it shows a dichotomy in behaviour, this distraught crushed girl smirking as she sees a group of reporters and cameras. Again, this is my own feeling on the matter, it makes her look disingenuous. The shopping list if anything shows a level of immaturity in my eyes, instead of showing them as not taking the situation seriously you see that they have the eating habits of a home alone 14 yr old. The public perception however could easily be that neither of the girls are treating the situation with the respect or gravitas it deserves. There is going to be a minority of people who will derive glee from seeing two 'attractive (with a bit of makeup)' party girls getting their comeuppance for living a life based on debauched drug addled partying and thinking they can break the law to their own ends.

There are an awful lot of assumptions based on very, very little in this post for my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Who 'leaked' the shopping list anyway? And to what end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sure werent they threatening to go on strike over mandatory sentences being imposed.

No they weren't you just made that up.

Phoebas wrote: »

Who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

checking out of this thread... its all a little banged up for me now . ... will have a look again in 2 years time ..

Who cares?
    I do. That's why I asked the question.
    Obviously :confused:

I do. That's why I asked the question.
    Obviously :confused:

Who else cares? :D

The main issue in this case, in my opinion, is their story. If they're to be found to be telling lies, in my opinion they are, then their future is very bleak indeed. Surely they understand that by now. If not, surely Madden has put this to them.

If you were given the opportunity to take 6 years or possibly 25 years in jail, which are you going to choose?

As long as Madden is involved, escaping and making their way back to Ireland and Scotland is a possible option.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Can't understand the fascination with the clothes issue. It could be as simple as having their clothes taken off them for cleaning, medical exam etc and been given the wrong set back. Easier just to go along with it when you don't speak the language then try and explain they're not your clothes.

In relation to the shopping list, yes it does come across as quite immature, especially some of the items, but what would the rest of ye want brought to ye in prison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Do we have any definite proof that they ACTUALLY made that shopping list or is it a fabrication from the rags?

There are an awful lot of assumptions based on very, very little in this post for my money.

I could have saved you all that typing and started my post with 'in my opinion'. I'm not making assumptions about guilt or innocence I simply put forth why I felt the seeming irrelevant topics of clothes swapping and the shopping list got mentioned. There was very little substance to your response for my money...

• Advertisement

what would the rest of ye want brought to ye in prison?

Cigarettes, tobacco and cigarette paper would be top of my list. Aren't they used as currency in prisons around the world?

Unless they want to make "friends" in prison with Nutella and Pringles parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Cigarettes, tobacco and cigarette paper would be top of my list. Aren't they used as currency in prisons around the world?

Unless they want to make "friends" in prison with Nutella and Pringles parties.

I just want to know what caused the u-turn on the Nature Valley bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I could have saved you all that typing and started my post with 'in my opinion'. I'm not making assumptions about guilt or innocence I simply put forth why I felt the seeming irrelevant topics of clothes swapping and the shopping list got mentioned. There was very little substance to your response for my money...

Yeah, it’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. But opinions are worth very little without facts to back them up.

You’ve said that you think that because they have swapped clothes and made a list of fairly standard things for their parents to bring that you don’t think they’re taking it seriously. That’s some conclusion to be drawing. What should they look for in their position? A bible? A whip so they can punish each other for their wrongdoings?

She smiled as she went by the camera and she’s disingenuous? A five second smile in a 24 hour day and you can draw that conclusion. Taking stuff like that in isolation and damning someone for it is so wrong. Whenever I’ve been in the sh!t before, I’ve tended to smile at some stage out of awkwardness or out of sheer “not knowing what the hell to do”. No one can know how they would react in this sort of situation.

They requested some comfort food and that makes them immature? Sweet Jesus. Nothing on that list is out of order. It’s not like they are looking for make up, Playstations, laptops, hair straighteners and their comfy chairs.

These girls deserve jail time in my book. They don’t deserve some of the petty abuse and accusations they are getting on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Stepping in dodgey territory there no? I'd imagine excruciating death awaits those who name names.
    doubt it...

Yeah, it’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. But opinions are worth very little without facts to back them up.

You’ve said that you think that because they have swapped clothes and made a list of fairly standard things for their parents to bring that you don’t think they’re taking it seriously. That’s some conclusion to be drawing. What should they look for in their position? A bible? A whip so they can punish each other for their wrongdoings?

She smiled as she went by the camera and she’s disingenuous? A five second smile in a 24 hour day and you can draw that conclusion. Taking stuff like that in isolation and damning someone for it is so wrong. Whenever I’ve been in the sh!t before, I’ve tended to smile at some stage out of awkwardness or out of sheer “not knowing what the hell to do”. No one can know how they would react in this sort of situation.

They requested some comfort food and that makes them immature? Sweet Jesus. Nothing on that list is out of order. It’s not like they are looking for make up, Playstations, laptops, hair straighteners and their comfy chairs.

These girls deserve jail time in my book. They don’t deserve some of the petty abuse and accusations they are getting on here.

Re-read the wording of my post. I think I used the terms 'could' and 'perceived' enough to dodge the pedantic glare of your indignance. Where did I accuse or abuse either of them.
    From what the solicitor said they hadn't eaten in a full day, then the shopping list leaks. For me, if I hadn't eaten a meal in a full day or more I think I would look for something more substantial than Pringles or nutella. Each to their own.
    I commented on the smirk at the journalists because 'I' felt it made the girl SEEM disingenuous. I've not made a definitive statement against the girl just airing an opinion based on limited resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

The "smile" at the camera that Michaella made could have been pure nervousness. I know when I get really ****ting it I can get a bit smiley and even break out with laughter. Its not smugness like some of the pitchfork crowd here are alluding to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

hardCopy wrote: »
    Only Nutri-Grain were available:cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

hardCopy wrote: »
    Cos when you eat them yokes it instantly transports you to a farm in Suffolk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

I just find the whole kidnapped angle of their defence a bit lol , I get a feeling the Peruvians do also.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭starWave

I don't see the big deal about the Pringles and Oreos. But is hair removal cream not far down the list of priorities when you're locked up with little food?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭TextureLikeSun

Do we have any definite proof that they ACTUALLY made that shopping list or is it a fabrication from the rags?

It was actually one of their dads that showed the media the list-they handed it to him before they were bought to court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

COPS in Peru have a recording of a phone call telling an Irish girl arrested over a € 1.7million cocaine haul how to smuggle drugs, it emerged yesterday.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/5091718/Accused-drug-girl-in-taped-drug-call.html

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

Oryx wrote: »
    That article is behind a paywall.

Firefox / Greasemonkey / Paywall Remover Script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

That article is behind a paywall.

Full Article
    COPS in Peru have a recording of a phone call telling an Irish girl arrested over a €1.7million cocaine haul how to smuggle drugs, it emerged yesterday.

Prosecutors have said the call will form part of the case against accused 20-year-olds Michaella McCollum Connolly and Melissa Reid.
    The recording is allegedly of Michaella, from Dungannon, Northern Ireland, being told exactly what to do.
    Michaella and Melissa, from Lenzie, near Glasgow, were denied bail at a hearing in Lima on Wednesday following their arrest for smuggling almost 24lbs of cocaine between them.
    The girls have claimed they were threatened by gangsters and feared they were being watched.
    But the chief prosecutor has dismissed this as a lie, saying: “They could have appealed for help.”
    Melissa’s dad William said the girls had told “tight, consistent” stories.
    Last night the pair were taken to Virgen de Fatima jail, which houses some of Peru’s worst killers including a key member of the feared Shining Path terrorist group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Now, that begs the question were they under surveillance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Was thinking the same.
    Which would mean the cops were told about them, probably backing up the theory that they were a diversion, or planted there with the sole reason of being caught.

It may also prove without a doubt that they weren't held at gunpoint. - Leading the girls to do serious time.

I have a conspiracy theory, that may not be that far fetched..
    I might try it out in the CT forums.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Starting to look like perhaps the dealers were, explains why the girls were picked up before checking in.

Allyall wrote: »

I have a conspiracy theory, that may not be that far fetched..
    I might try it out in the CT forums.. :)

Ah come on....just share it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

being that this is being broadcast on TV in Europe and that this has now been made into a high profile case because of the coverage, the Peruvian's will be out to make an example of the two girls as a warning to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

they will be punished severely now...

Ah come on....just share it ;)

Ha.. Got to get it right in my head first, so that i can type it (Which i haven't yet).

It may also be a bit more far fetched then i thought.
    It would involve the Judicial system in Peru. :o

Here it goes.. needs some work, feel free to add to it. ;)

I am wondering why they are releasing bit by bit of the evidence so slowly, and why it takes a local lawyer to convince the 'mules' that it is better if they plead guilty.

The lower sentence for the Guilty plea.
    The guilty plea, as no court case needed, has everybody except the Mules happy.
    Customs get their catch, Dealers get a free pass, Judicial system goes through the motions, and sometimes get a windfall from somebody willing to pay to get out.

When the mules don't play along, they get a taste of some of the evidence that they have already (rather quickly) amounted, until they play along.

As i said, it needs some work, and is quite far fetched, but, i;m allowed to let my mind wander, as long as i don't start believing it.. :rolleyes:

I probably haven't explained it all there, but i do think there is something very dodgy going on. The amount of people waiting in Prison just for a court hearing is over 58% of Prisoners, and of that 58%, 12% are foreign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Allyall wrote: »
    Ha.. Got to get it right in my head first, so that i can type it (Which i haven't yet).

It may also be a bit more far fetched then i thought.
    It would involve the Judicial system in Peru. :o

Here it goes.. needs some work, feel free to add to it. ;)

I am wondering why they are releasing bit by bit of the evidence so slowly, and why it takes a local lawyer to convince the 'mules' that it is better if they plead guilty.

The lower sentence for the Guilty plea.
    The guilty plea, as no court case needed, has everybody except the Mules happy.
    Customs get their catch, Dealers get a free pass, Judicial system goes through the motions, and sometimes get a windfall from somebody willing to pay to get out.

When the mules don't play along, they get a taste of some of the evidence that they have amounted, until they play along.

As i said, it needs some work, and is quite far fetched, but, i;m allowed to let my mind wander, as long as i don't start believing it.. :rolleyes:

Or....

Maybe.....

Just maybe.....

the drug dealers were under surveillance and that's how they got the recording. It has been stated on the news that there are 200+ cases of drug smuggling/drug mules awaiting trial so it hardly seems worth all that effort just to add two more mules to the mix.

Venom wrote: »
    Or....

Maybe.....

Just maybe.....

the drug dealers were under surveillance and that's how they got the recording. It has been stated on the news that there are 200+ cases of drug smuggling/drug mules awaiting trial so it hardly seems worth all that effort just to add two more mules to the mix.

Too far fetched. :)

Oh, and just fwiw, i meant as a whole, all cases. I wasn't just referring to these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnsuperf

lucky they were caught in peru and not not in Ireland.They would be facing mandatory ten years here whereby if they plead guilty in peru they will be out in three and a half.A big hole in their story is this kidnapping end of it WHo is going to kidnap two young adult girls and bring them through airports and let them walk around openly knowing full well that if they are reported missing Interpol would be looking for them.

The Peruvian system seems to be leakier than an old bucket.

Various unnamed sources leaking details of evidence that hasn't been submitted to a court, photographs of the girls in custody, even a video of a reporter allowed to do an ad-hoc interview with them whilst they were in police custody. And their shopping list - how did that find its way into the newspapers?

What next - a live feed from their cell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Those girls better start telling the truth fairly lively otherwise they'll be saying goodbye to their 20s and maybe half of their 30s. Peru may well try to make an example of them to deter others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement