Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnsuperf

yea tell the truth and do three and a half years Lie and do between eight and fifteen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

yes the game is up throw the towel in.If they keep these lies going the peruvian authorities will take it as an insult to their intelligence and throw the book at them and they may even get the fifteen years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Meh, don't buy their apparent defense for a second (much as I don't buy the 'banged up abroad' narratives generally either). I think they were choosing to do it, and moving around without a gun to their heads. Now, of course, they may have been made false emotional or financial promises and were obviously misguided and naive. It may also be that they were fed to the authorities as part of a larger play. Nonetheless, it isn't the first time young pretty westerners were caught genuinely breaking the law abroad and end up paying a harsh penalty for doing so.

Their standard of treatment no doubt falls short of what we afford prisoners in our state, but that is very much Peru's perogative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Phoebas wrote: »
    The Peruvian system seems to be leakier than an old bucket.

Various unnamed sources leaking details of evidence that hasn't been submitted to a court, photographs of the girls in custody, even a video of a reporter allowed to do an ad-hoc interview with them whilst they were in police custody. And their shopping list - how did that find its way into the newspapers?

What next - a live feed from their cell?

Yeah, you wouldn't get that in Ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/did-a-garda-leak-lead-to-the-ambush-and-murder-of-two-ruc-officers-26408921.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/clare-daly-arrest-garda-leak-848112-Mar2013/

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0117/84686-gray/

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-warned-not-to-leak-information-194856.html

“Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.“Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

looking at the other side of the coin, i am wondering

how did they get footage of a phone conversation - surely the "cartel" couldn't be putting that out. When was this taped? and why?

why were they given such luggage, basically made to "stand out" in an airport where most young people go backpacking.

why were they pulled aside before they even went to the gate (did I get this correct?).

Were they being watched?

were they put there with the "outstanding" luggage so they could be picked out fairly obviously, and if so, Why?

Drugs is big business - what about the airport workers/security?

Why not check EVERY bag?

Did they put these two as pawns to take attention from what was really going on - i.e. did they get all the airport personnel to pay attention to these, thus ensuring something/someone else got through?

Just thoughts.

I pity these two waking up in hell this morning.

they should of listened to the glen frey song SMUGGLERS BLUES that would of given them an insight into the pros and cons of drug smuggling.They were probably convinced they would not be caught and now that they are they are denying the whole lot and gettin themselves in a lot more trouble if they had of thought there was a chance they may have been able to face up to it and plead guilty and take the three and half year sentence which is fairly low to what they would receive in most countries around the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

looking at the other side of the coin, i am wondering

how did they get footage of a phone conversation - surely the "cartel" couldn't be putting that out. When was this taped? and why?

why were they given such luggage, basically made to "stand out" in an airport where most young people go backpacking.

why were they pulled aside before they even went to the gate (did I get this correct?).

Were they being watched?

were they put there with the "outstanding" luggage so they could be picked out fairly obviously, and if so, Why?

Drugs is big business - what about the airport workers/security?

Why not check EVERY bag?

Did they put these two as pawns to take attention from what was really going on - i.e. did they get all the airport personnel to pay attention to these, thus ensuring something/someone else got through?

Just thoughts.

I pity these two waking up in hell this morning.

Dogs alerted to the bags at the airport

Boombastic wrote: »
    Dogs alerted to the bags at the airport

didn't the security worker at the airport say they were pulled because they looked nervous and their luggage "stood out". (rte news). The dogs came after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

didn't the security worker at the airport say they were pulled because they looked nervous and their luggage "stood out". (rte news). The dogs came after.

They fit the profile also, two young women travelling together looking a bit nervous after a relatively short term trip to Peru. Whenever they asked them a few questions they were probably twitchy enough looking to merit a search. Probable that young impressionable women are an easier sell to be mules. Rope them into to a hedonistic party lifestyle in Ibiza and offer them the chance to keep the party going or head back home with a lump sum.

Easier than mounting some special forces style covert surveillance operation involving locating their families and sending armed men to shadow their every move.

Please god they fure that eejit they have representing them now, plead guilty and get home as soon as possible, likely after a 2 to 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Funny I read that the media in Peru think the Irish girl looks like Amy Winehouse. I think she actually looks very like Boy George

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

They are in it deep. €1.7m worth of coke is a hell of a lot. With Peru the largest producer of coke in the world i think this is going to be bad for them. Peru cant let them off easily as this is such a high profile case now. If Peru do let them off lightly, say 4-7 yrs then they are merely attracting a flood of new would be smugglers. Its obvious their stories are false. Can see 10 yr plus sentences each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Funny I read that the media in Peru think the Irish girl looks like Amy Winehouse. I think she actually looks very like Boy George

:D She does! (Boy George)
    http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Boy+George+stroll+tube+sbt76-dtyjYl.jpg

i dont think these girls realise how very lucky they are.They should thank their lucky stars for the light sentence they will receive for pleading guilty.

I am pie wrote: »
    They fit the profile also, two young women travelling together looking a bit nervous after a relatively short term trip to Peru. Whenever they asked them a few questions they were probably twitchy enough looking to merit a search. Probable that young impressionable women are an easier sell to be mules. Rope them into to a hedonistic party lifestyle in Ibiza and offer them the chance to keep the party going or head back home with a lump sum.

Easier than mounting some special forces style covert surveillance operation involving locating their families and sending armed men to shadow their every move.

Please god they fure that eejit they have representing them now, plead guilty and get home as soon as possible, likely after a 2 to 3 years.

I was thinking along the lines of......if you are trying to get someone through an airport without being noticed, advise them NOT to travel with a bright purple suitcase. Wouldn't' that be the first thing you would do - make sure they "blended in" not "stuck out" with bright pink and purple luggage. It's like they had a bullseye mark on them - and were there TO be caught.

As for insulting their choice of lawyer - I'm sure this person knows a hell of a lot more about what he is doing than the armchair experts on Boards.ie. first - he has the story first hand from the two women. second - he has studied law. don't know why people feel the need to insult - unless of course the themselves are lawyers. (which i sincerely doubt)

• Advertisement

I was thinking along the lines of......if you are trying to get someone through an airport without being noticed, advise them NOT to travel with a bright purple suitcase. Wouldn't' that be the first thing you would do - make sure they "blended in" not "stuck out" with bright pink and purple luggage. It's like they had a bullseye mark on them - and were there TO be caught.

Even if that's true, it doesn't make them less guilty. If they were stupid enough to agree to do it in the first place, they were probably stupid enough to accept purple suitcases for the task. I'm not sure why the 'conspiracy' angle on this one is so interesting to people. It wouldn't be at all surprising if they were a diversion, or a bone to corrupt authorities as part of letting something bigger through, etc. But none of that would change the fact of them breaking the law; them having a bull**** explanation; them deserving punishment within the laws of the land.

Personal responsibility and all that.

As for insulting their choice of lawyer - I'm sure this person knows a hell of a lot more about what he is doing than the armchair experts on Boards.ie. first - he has the story first hand from the two women. second - he has studied law. don't know why people feel the need to insult - unless of course the themselves are lawyers. (which i sincerely doubt)

yea you could be right maybe they were set up to take the fall but they still participated so they face the consequences

Their 'story' seems to be mostly fabricated. He'd be better off looking at the bigger picture, then listening to their story, unless they've told him the real truth.

Has he studied Peruvian law?

In the video of the girls getting arrested, there's a guy in the background with a gun, you can't make him out, he's mostly silhouette, i wonder is he the guy that was 'shadowing' them.

Allyall wrote: »

I was think about when he was younger

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I was think about when he was younger

Yeah, i know, was messing. :)

http://i.imgur.com/wuifW3S.jpg

There's probably better pics.

• Advertisement

Yeah, i know, was messing. :)

http://i.imgur.com/wuifW3S.jpg

There's probably better pics.

George looking better than her there:D

johnsuperf wrote: »
    yea you could be right maybe they were set up to take the fall but they still participated so they face the consequences

yes, they do. I can't help but feel sad for them tho - yes they were stupid, etc etc. but I don't think they are malicious people or dangerous (unlike the ones higher up the drug ladder) - they fell or a line and have to suffer the consequences - they are just fodder to the drug dealers.

I don't understand why anyone would be delighted to see them locked up for years, and revel in that fact.

:pac:
    Their 'story' seems to be mostly fabricated. He'd be better off looking at the bigger picture, then listening to their story, unless they've told him the real truth.

In the video of the girls getting arrested, there's a guy in the background with a gun, you can't make him out, he's mostly silhouette, i wonder is he the guy that was 'shadowing' them.
    :pac:yes that is the same fella that brought them from spain over to peru and he made an escape the peruvian forces are out looking for him.there is no way hope or chance that these girls will walk free and they should be urged to plead guilty and take the lesser sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Does he speak Spanish?
    Has he practised Peruvian law?

No & No I am willing to bet, which makes him a poor choice.

As to knowing what he is doing, well, criticising the judicial system and penal system seems to be a fairly bizarre approach to take from the off.

Let's see who turns up in court come the day of reckoning, I am fairly confident it will be a local lawyer.

yes, they do. I can't help but feel sad for them tho - yes they were stupid, etc etc. but I don't think they are malicious people or dangerous (unlike the ones higher up the drug ladder) - they fell or a line and have to suffer the consequences - they are just fodder to the drug dealers.

I don't understand why anyone would be delighted to see them locked up for years, and revel in that fact.

well personally i would NOT like to see them locked up for years.yes they were gullible and convinced by smooth talkin drug dealers to mule and promised etc that they would not be caught so maybe the best thing to do now is to look for the smallest sentence which would be three and a half years IF they plead guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yeah that's definitely him!

So we are told everytime a western person gets caught smuggling drugs through a South American / Asian airport.

I don't know much about the Scottish girl's story, but the Ulster girl went off for a summer on the razz in Ibiza and seemed to be over there for an elongated period beyond her visible means while failing to keep regular or honest contact with her family about her movements and wellbeing. She fell in with the wrong people; made some dumb choices and is now paying for decisions made with a view to chasing the dream of a few more easy weeks / months living it up in the sun.

I'm not delighted or revelling, but I find the attitudes of superiority and contempt for the laws and sovereignty of independent nations reprehensible in such scenarios. If they had got done travelling through Berlin airport this wouldn't be as big a story. If they had got done moving cocaine through Dublin port we wouldn't be sitting here viewing them as poor innocent little girls with hearts of gold.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So we are told everytime a western person gets caught smuggling drugs through a South American / Asian airport.

I don't know much about the Scottish girl's story, but the Ulster girl went off for a summer on the razz in Ibiza and seemed to be over there for an elongated period beyond her visible means while failing to keep regular or honest contact with her family about her movements and wellbeing. She fell in with the wrong people; made some dumb choices and is now paying for decisions made with a view to chasing the dream of a few more easy weeks / months living it up in the sun.

I'm not delighted or revelling, but I find the attitudes of superiority and contempt for the laws and sovereignty of independent nations reprehensible in such scenarios. If they had got done travelling through Berlin airport this wouldn't be as big a story. If they had got done moving cocaine through Dublin port we wouldn't be sitting here viewing them as poor innocent little girls with hearts of gold.

going off on the razz is nearly a right of passage at that age - don't hold that against the girls - unless you hold it against every other twenty year old on the planet that travels and has fun. This is the time to do it.

They got caught up with the wrong crowd.....etc. etc. they are now paying the price. I still don't think they are malicious, evil, or hardened criminals - they were used and abused and thrown to the wolves (as were all the other young "mules"). They didn't have their wits about them.

There is still room to empathize with them - having now to suffer the consequences while the major players are scott free. It doesn't really pay for people to call them names, revel in their misfortune, and wish them bad things - nobody knows what's in store for them in life. :)

going off on the razz is nearly a right of passage at that age - don't hold that against the girls - unless you hold it against every other twenty year old on the planet that travels and has fun. This is the time to do it.

They got caught up with the wrong crowd.....etc. etc. they are now paying the price. I still don't think they are malicious, evil, or hardened criminals - they were used and abused and thrown to the wolves (as were all the other young "mules"). They didn't have their wits about them.

There is still room to empathize with them - having now to suffer the consequences while the major players are scott free. It doesn't really pay for people to call them names, revel in their misfortune, and wish them bad things - nobody knows what's in store for them in life. :)

I don't hold a summer, or a year or a half decade on the razz against anyone if they're not engaging in criminal activity to pay for it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

All the people here salivating at the thoughts of these ladies being locked for for most of their youth make me sick, not one of you has spared a thought for the big players in all of this! One thing we can say for sure is that these two were pawns for the big boys, why has no one been calling for their capture and imprisonment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭starWave

I doubt every 20 year old goes on the razz, and gets caught up in the drug scene. If you don't have the financial means or sense to stay out of trouble, then its not the time to do it.

I am pie wrote: »
    Does he speak Spanish? he doesn't have to speak spanish - he was hired for the girls who speak english - he can hire a translater

Has he practised Peruvian law? he has experience in south america already - he doesn't' have to have studied peruvian law - he is primarily there for the girls who speak english.

ARe you saying that it would be better for the girls to have gotten a peruvian lawyer - with english as his second language - and let them try to get their story across to him/her and for them to try to understand the in's and out's of peruvian law through a peruvian speaking lawyer? Thats a bit silly - the girls got an english speaking lawyer who they can explain their story to easily - its up to him then to get a translater/peruvian laser to explain the law to him (not the girls) as he is the trained lawyer. It's simple when you think about it.

No & No I am willing to bet, which makes him a poor choice.

As to knowing what he is doing, well, criticising the judicial system and penal system seems to be a fairly bizarre approach to take from the off. how did he criticize

Let's see who turns up in court come the day of reckoning, I am fairly confident it will be a local lawyer.
    Im fairly certain it will be him or another english speaking lawyer who understand law along with a peruvian lawyer/translater

sorry for the "bold" - just highlighting my answers.

I don't hold a summer, or a year or a half decade on the razz against anyone if they're not engaging in criminal activity to pay for it!!

dont' be too hasty in your accusations. As I said, nobody knows whats in store in their own lives and that of their kids.

starWave wrote: »
    I doubt every 20 year old goes on the razz, and gets caught up in the drug scene. If you don't have the financial means or sense to stay out of trouble, then its not the time to do it.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭starWave

:rolleyes:

:confused:

All the people here salivating at the thoughts of these ladies being locked for for most of their youth make me sick, not one of you has spared a thought for the big players in all of this! One thing we can say for sure is that these two were pawns for the big boys, why has no one been calling for their capture and imprisonment?

Well the ladies should plead guilty and provide every scrap of info they can remember about their handlers and the Ibiza drug dealing scene. That would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Well the ladies should plead guilty and provide every scrap of info they can remember about their handlers and the Ibiza drug dealing scene. That would help.
    i doubt the peruvians give a sh1t about ibiza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Which is pretty much exactly what they would have done if they actually had been kidnapped: make sure their families are safe, then tell the cops everything they can remember about who they met, where they met, names, descriptions, the whole shebang.

i doubt the peruvians give a sh1t about ibiza

Any info they provided would be passed on, and the cooperation would undoubtedly help in mitigating their sentence.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Which is pretty much exactly what they would have done if they actually had been kidnapped: make sure their families are safe, then tell the cops everything they can remember about who they met, where they met, names, descriptions, the whole shebang.

Bingo! Amazing to me how obvious to everyone this should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Where abouts in the drug supply line is it not inherently malicious or evil?
    Right from the production through transportation to supply is malicious and evil, there is no step in the drug supply line that is any less reprehensible than any other.
    Some in the billion dollar industry make millions, some make thousands, some make a few hundred, however they are all complicit in destroying lives through drug use.

not really - it might take these two to stand up for themselves to crack open why people have to plead a certain way in order to get out of prison quicker.
    Its a bit like blackmail - 'plead guilty...or else'. This ensures whatever corruption is going on, can continue without question.

they have the right to plead not guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Have they not done this?

I think that is what they are doing, and have done, isn't it?

stoneill wrote: »
    Where abouts in the drug supply line is it not inherently malicious or evil?
    Right from the production through transportation to supply is malicious and evil, there is no step in the drug supply line that is any less reprehensible than any other.
    Some in the billion dollar industry make millions, some make thousands, some make a few hundred, however they are all complicit in destroying lives through drug use.

Nonsense.
    A subsistence coca farmer growing coca to survive is no less reprehensible than a cartel boss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

Phoebas wrote: »
    Have they not done this?

Apparently not...

not really - it might take these two to stand up for themselves to crack open why people have to plead a certain way in order to get out of prison quicker.
    Its a bit like blackmail - 'plead guilty...or else'. This ensures whatever corruption is going on, can continue without question.

they have the right to plead not guilty.

Hold on a second here, are you questioning why sentences are different for those who hold up their hands and admit wrongdoing versus those who plead their innocence and are subsequently proven beyond reasonable doubt as criminals?

Hold on a second here, are you questioning why sentences are different for those who hold up their hands and admit wrongdoing versus those who plead their innocence and are subsequently proven beyond reasonable doubt as criminals?

no i am questioning why no matter if you are innocent or guilty, you are told to plead guilty. What if you are innocent and your story is true? doesn't that count? why should you be punished for that? Are they "scaring" people into pleading guilty - plead guilty 3 years, pleade not guilty 15.

something shady here.

Apparently not...

How do we know that?

Apparently not...

i think they have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement