Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

thalia_13 wrote: »
    Why is it every picture or video clip you see, Michaella seems to be smirking, and like this is all a big amusement to her? A few people have commented on this while discussing it together, and I just am finding it hard to have sympathy for her.
    Does she not realise the severity of this problem? Or is it a coping mechanism... Seeing her being led out this morning on sky news, she just looked so smug. I would be so terrified and I think the Scottish girl does look scared

Some people smile or laugh when they're in negative situations. You see it with people grieving the loss of a loved one sometimes. Most likely an involuntary nervous reaction, I don't think for a second she's taking the situation lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The maximum sentence they face is 15 years under Peruvian law.

An early guilty plea, along with a high level of co-operation with the investigating authorities, might help them get a lower sentence.

As of now, of course, they're entitled to a presumption of innocence.

Innocence?

They were caught with the drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Some people smile or laugh when they're in negative situations. You see it with people grieving the loss of a loved one sometimes. Most likely an involuntary nervous reaction, I don't think for a second she's taking the situation lightly.

Thats what I am hoping is the case, that it is sheer nervousness.. I just read the Daily Fail comments, seems alot of folk think she is v smug. I guess there is nothing she can do if she does have this nervous reaction.

Its such a serious charge, it would make no sense for her to be taking it as lightly as it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

"Hot, smelly; cockroaches everywhere" - Peruvian prison
    DURATION: 07:15
    As two British women wait to be formally charged with drug trafficking in Peru, Alan Rae, who spent two years in jail in the country, tells us about his experience.

My God, what a hellish experience this man was subjected to.

"Human Rights in Peru prisons" my arse.

Hear it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01fgm8l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭ted1

looking at the other side of the coin, i am wondering

how did they get footage of a phone conversation - surely the "cartel" couldn't be putting that out. When was this taped? and why?

why were they given such luggage, basically made to "stand out" in an airport where most young people go backpacking.

why were they pulled aside before they even went to the gate (did I get this correct?).

Were they being watched?

were they put there with the "outstanding" luggage so they could be picked out fairly obviously, and if so, Why?

Drugs is big business - what about the airport workers/security?

Why not check EVERY bag?

Did they put these two as pawns to take attention from what was really going on - i.e. did they get all the airport personnel to pay attention to these, thus ensuring something/someone else got through?

Just thoughts.

I pity these two waking up in hell this morning.
    I reckon a 20 year old girl flying first class to Peru is the give away.
    Most 20 year olds in the country will have been touring south Anerica not flying first class in.
    They probably got a tip off from the airline that a profile match was coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

ted1 wrote: »
    Most 20 year olds in the country will have been touring south Anerica not flying first class in.

The fact that two 20 year old British and Irish nationals were flying from Ibiza to Peru and were making the same return journey two weeks later was even more of a red flag.Id say even the pilot knew what was going on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Did they fly first class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

ted1 wrote: »
    ????
    Why would drug smugglers go out of their way to match (what you this is the) profile of drug smugglers?
    The fact that two 20 year old British and Irish nationals were flying from Ibiza to Peru and were making the same return journey two weeks later was even more of a red flag.Id say even the pilot knew what was going on here.
    They didn't fly from Ibiza to Peru. They flew from Malaga.
    Flying from Malaga to Lima is a perfectly normal thing to do - that's why the airline established the route :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

apparently one of them did...

I think one of them got an upgrade to business class.

• Advertisement

OK...i know its The Daily Mail, but...
    On July 30, her captors ordered her to fly to Majorca. The women were kept together briefly, before Melissa was flown to Peru. Michaella went the next day – flying first-class because they could not find economy seats.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2395965/Tell-truth-begs-father-drug-mule-girl-emotional-reunion-Peru-police-station.html

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Not a lot I'd suspect.
    But he was a grown adult and he did make a free choice to go mad on multiple different drugs - so they can think what they like about the drug mules, the dealers, the cartel bosses and the coca farmers, but at the end of the day their own son was primarily responsible for his own death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Phoebas wrote: »
    Not a lot I'd suspect.
    But he was a grown adult and he did make a free choice to go mad on multiple different drugs - so they can think what they like about the drug mules, the dealers, the cartel bosses and the coca farmers, but at the end of the day their own son was primarily responsible for his own death.

And drug mules are responsible for their own destiny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Not a lot I'd suspect.
    Yes, the son was responsible, but the thought of profiteers living a life of luxury out of this trade must be a bitter pill to swallow (pun unintended).
    Maybe it's time the cops in Ibiza got their act together.
    Poorly funded Peruvian cops seem to be more pro-active than their EU counterparts.

And drug mules are responsible for their own destiny
    Sure aren't we all!
    (but you certainly won't find me gloating over the fate of that chap in Ibiza)

Edit: Just to be clear - I don't want to suggest for a moment that you were gloating.

I wouldn't holiday there if it was free.
    Chav Central.

Sure aren't we all!
    (but you certainly won't find me gloating over the fate of that chap in Ibiza)
    Are you seriously making the comparison between a dead drug user and a group of narco-capitalists?
    That both are deserving of the same pity?

Yes, the son was responsible, but the thought of profiteers living a life of luxury out of this trade must be a bitter pill to swallow (pun unintended).
    It must be. It seems to me that most people involved in the drugs trade aren't living a life of luxury - the farmers aren't, the mules aren't.
    Maybe it's time the cops in Ibiza got their act together.
    True.

• Advertisement

Are you seriously making the comparison between a dead drug user and a group of narco-capitalists?
    That both are deserving of the same pity?
    Who are the narco capitalists you're referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Amazingfun wrote: »
    My God, what a hellish experience this man was subjected to.

"Human Rights in Peru prisons" my arse.

Hear it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01fgm8l[/QUOTE]

What happened to this chap was an utter disgrace.

It must be. It seems to me that most people involved in the drugs trade aren't living a life of luxury - the farmers aren't, the mules aren't.

True.
    ...most people involved in the cocaine trade are not farmers or mules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

the same thing someone's parents that is killed by drink driving think about publicans I imagine, not a whole lot. The man was in his thirties, I would hazard a guess that it's not the first time he dabbled in drugs, he went toe far and he went to the sea and drowned not the first case of this on any type of mind altering substance and I certainly wouldn't blame the drugs as much as excess, bad judgment and poor swimming.

What part of it has got to do with drug mules? Ibiza is clean full of drugs, it's a part of the (for want of a better word) culture of the place. The cops know what goes on but they make a fortune and there is never really that many problems, no more than any other **** resort.

...most people involved in the cocaine trade are not farmers or mules.
    True. You can add the users, the addicts, the street level dealers, the low level gang members to that list too.

As I said, most people involved in the cocaine trade are not living a life of luxury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

No, no its not. was there for the 4th time this summer and it was the best time yet.
    yet again the media convince people of whats what with there brilliant / fair overall reports..

yes there is a dodgy and kippy part.. (san Antonio / the west end) - and yes that's where that bar is the girls worked in. there's generally a young crowd, none of the big clubs are out that way and its full people that go there and don't have a clue and go there to get ****ed up or even just get locked the whole time and they couldn't tell you who's playing where or whats happening etc..it will always have this rep

that link of the guy that Briton that died, this is on another part of the island, playa den bossa, which has an older crowd, no scumbags, better vibe, and the majority of the super clubs are situated here. of course anywhere on the island could have drug related reports/deaths/incidents, as of the huge number that go there and go clubbing. its not the islands fault if some geezer goes there and takes copious amounts of various drugs on a binge and cant handle it and ends up floating in the ocean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭gitane007

Jesus , everyone chill out......its over. They are FÚCKED!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

when these women get out will they have to pay back the money to the boss ??
    either that or they will make an example them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

gitane007 wrote: »

haha, best post ive read on here to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Carrigstown Traders Association

when these women get out will they have to pay back the money to the boss ??
    either that or they will make an example them?

I'd imagine the "boss" would run a mile rather than ever make contact with them again, and the media circus that will follow them for a long time. Anyway that 1.7 million is based on street value in Europe, the price paid for it in Peru is less than 1/10 of that figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

I'd imagine the "boss" would run a mile rather than ever make contact with them again, and the media circus that will follow them for a long time. Anyway that 1.7 million is based on street value in Europe, the price paid for it in Peru is less than 1/10 of that figure.

by the time it hits ireland its not even cocaine anymore :D

can't be arsed to read whole thread ..what is the general consensus..held at gun poi nt ot do it or dumb as sh**...the packets they used does show a level of thickness
    You think they packed the cocaine into those packets themselves?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Carrigstown Traders Association

can't be arsed to read whole thread ..what is the general consensus..held at gun poi nt ot do it or dumb as sh**...the packets they used does show a level of thickness

Well the girls say they were kidnapped and forced at gunpoint or something like that.. however evidence is coming out in the form of photographs and cctv showing them enjoying their holiday just days before the arrest so.. draw your own conclusions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Apparently there are supposed to be photos of them posing with Peruvian police, taken before they were arrested - but not released.
    Apparently there are also audio recordings of them being told how exactly to go about the smuggling - but not released.

There is a lot that stinks about the leaking going on in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The photos of them along with Peruvian police doesnt really help their case as it would have been an opportune moment to inform the police about the whole hostage/drugs story.

Unfortunately I dont believe their story. I think they were offered a chance to make a lot of money quickly and they took it but got caught.

Cost in Peru is less than 10 grand euro.
    800 dollars per kilo in Lima, according to Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

gitane007 wrote: »

It's not over, it has barely started.

Prepare yourself for more tall tales and photo/video evidence. Maybe even a great escape!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

madma wrote: »
    haha, best post ive read on here to be honest

why do some people delight in the suffering of these girls and their familes? I know they are very probably guilty of transporting drugs in their luggage. At their age, they probably did not really internalise the consequences of their actions. A stupid stupid mistake. Wrong crowd, glamourous lifestyle..easily influenced etc.
    They deserve to be punished for their stupidity.
    However, I am really shocked and saddended by the callous reaction of many keyboard warriors here. I have always been critical of many aspects of Irelands culture (smug, insular, conservative, self regarding) - howver, having lived abroard for many years, I have always been really proud of our natural tendancy towards compassion, generousity, kindness.
    Has this disappeared from Irish society? Is it a generational thing? or is it the nature of people to be as nasty and cruel as they want as long as its not face to face and they can hide behind their keyboard?
    My heart goes out to these girls and especially their families. What a huge price to pay. I do not condone what they have done, but I do understand what it feels like to see a family member reall suffer. It really should not be a cause for sneering triumphalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

CJC999 wrote: »
    The photos of them along with Peruvian police doesnt really help their case as it would have been an opportune moment to inform the police about the whole hostage/drugs story.

Unfortunately I dont believe their story. I think they were offered a chance to make a lot of money quickly and they took it but got caught.

Why are you drawing such conclusions from a photo you have not seen?

If there is a photo of the two of them with a police officer, who took the photo? Could have been a member of the armed gang they are talking about. I know, it sounds like BS but do you have any solid evidence to the contrary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

johnsuperf wrote: »
    lucky they were caught in peru and not not in Ireland.They would be facing mandatory ten years here whereby if they plead guilty in peru they will be out in three and a half.A big hole in their story is this kidnapping end of it WHo is going to kidnap two young adult girls and bring them through airports and let them walk around openly knowing full well that if they are reported missing Interpol would be looking for them.

You serious?
    I'd prefer 3 years in an Irish slammer than 1 in a Peruvian one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No matter how many people die from cocaine (high profile - Katy french, gerry Ryan) and these silly girls now guaranteed to be in prison for years for smuggling, people never seem to learn: they still do cocaine and they still smuggle drugs.
    Why is this?

These silly silly eejit girls, their lives are ruined :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

LorMal wrote: »
    why do some people delight in the suffering of these girls and their familes?

I can see why, because they're directly related to the illegal narcotics trade. This black market brings misery to many people around the world and their families. These women must have known about the consequences of their actions, as do most 20 year olds. But they took the risk and got caught.

By all means have sympathy for the families. However, the two women brought the suffering on their families themselves, no one else, they made that choice. As did any other drug mule, drug dealer or drug user.

I don't believe they lack intelligence and common sense. It's looking like greed is what got the better of them.

I'm not hoping they'll get bamboo splinters under the fingernails or water boarding, but I am happy they got caught and sure the Peruvian authorities will dish out the correct lawful punishment.

Just to make it clear to you why I think all this, I've had frontline experience of the drugs trade in Ireland. I've seen what it does to people, physically and emotionally, and how lives are destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I feel sorry for them. I think they were naive and greedy but not scumbags. Only 20 years old sure you only have to look at their shopping list request to see their level of maturity. And this crack about them contributing to people using drugs is bull. Nobody forces you to take drugs. Everyone has a free will like these girls had. I just wish they would plead guilty because there's no way they were forced and they had ample opportunity to get out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

So they are now in the notorious Fatima de Virgen prison and have received their wish list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

lukesmom wrote: »
    I feel sorry for them. I think they were naive and greedy but not scumbags. Only 20 years old sure you only have to look at their shopping list request to see their level of maturity. And this crack about them contributing to people using drugs is bull. Nobody forces you to take drugs. Everyone has a free will like these girls had. I just wish they would plead guilty because there's no way they were forced and they had ample opportunity to get out of it.

I feel far more sorry for their parents than the girls.

They should have admitted it to the police, who want to catch the locals on the ground in Peru. That's who the Peruvians are after. If they had done that, they'd be looking at a 2-3 yr term, and in a much newer prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Rightwing wrote: »
    I feel far more sorry for their parents than the girls.

They should have admitted it to the police, who want to catch the locals on the ground in Peru. That's who the Peruvians are after. If they had done that, they'd be looking at a 2-3 yr term, and in a much newer prison.

where's this info from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

amdublin wrote: »
    No matter how many people die from cocaine (high profile - Katy french, gerry Ryan) and these silly girls now guaranteed to be in prison for years for smuggling, people never seem to learn: they still do cocaine and they still smuggle drugs.
    Why is this?

These silly silly eejit girls, their lives are ruined :(
    I agree. The industry won't stop because it's making a fortune and the users won't stop because they are addicted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

lukesmom wrote: »
    So they are now in the notorious Fatima de Virgen prison and have received their wish list.

Wait til the Nigerians meet them...i'm sure there's a warm welcome prepared already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

where's this info from?

If they had (or if they change their plea) pleaded guilty, then they would be appearing in court within 6 months, and it is widely believed (because of similar past cases) that by doing so, they would have received a sentence of roughly 4-7 years and probably only serve 2-3.

But by pleading not guilty, they have to await trial, which means that their court case might not happen for 3 years. They will sit in Prison until then, and under the prosecutions recommendation, they will serve a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 15 years if they are found guilty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement