Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

amdublin wrote: »
    No matter how many people die from cocaine (high profile - Katy french, gerry Ryan) and these silly girls now guaranteed to be in prison for years for smuggling, people never seem to learn: they still do cocaine and they still smuggle drugs.
    Why is this?

These silly silly eejit girls, their lives are ruined :(

a very very small amount of people die from the use of cocaine when you take into consideration how many people use it. a lot of people die in car crashes yet people still drive cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Allyall wrote: »
    If they had (or if they change their plea) pleaded guilty, then they would be appearing in court within 6 months, and it is widely believed (because of similar past cases) that by doing so, they would have received a sentence of roughly 4-7 years and probably only serve 2-3.

But by pleading not guilty, they have to await trial, which means that their court case might not happen for 3 years. They will sit in Prison until then, and under the prosecutions recommendation, they will serve a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 15 years if they are found guilty.

Do they get any compensation if found not guilty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Like that's ever gonna happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

can't be arsed to read whole thread ..what is the general consensus..held at gun poi nt ot do it or dumb as sh**...the packets they used does show a level of thickness

no guns just greedy and stupid. Simply run of mill the drug smuggling, got caught and deserve as long and hard a jail sentence as the Peruvian authorities would normally hand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

chopper6 wrote: »
    Wait til the Nigerians meet them...i'm sure there's a warm welcome prepared already.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

lukesmom wrote: »
    Like that's ever gonna happen.

Yes indeed, there has never been a case in history where somebody was found innocent :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Yes indeed, there has never been a case in history where somebody was found innocent :rolleyes:

I wonder for the stats are for convictions in drug mule cases in Peru are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭redtapestyl

They get their cocaine back

• Advertisement

Mod

TheKingslayer banned. Post deleted.

If a comment is that awful lads, please report it and ignore it. Quoting just makes for more deletions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Mod
    If a comment is that awful lads, please report it and ignore it. Quoting just makes for more deletions.
    Apologies:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sorry for quoting, whoopsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I wouldn't holiday there if it was free.
    Chav Central.

Good diving there though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

:confused:

Sorry...to clarify:

My extensive reading on the subject points to large numbers of nigerians in south american prisons..as might be expected they tend to band together and are also considered to be amongst the worst troublemakers,often deliberatley provoking confrontations with other,especially european inmates.

Two annoying little party girls who insist they are innocent amid a media furore are more likely to attract unwanted 'attention'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I wonder for the stats are for convictions in drug mule cases in Peru are?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01fgm8l

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

pure ****n mule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

goose2005 wrote: »
    Good diving there though.

of the muff variety?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

amdublin wrote: »
    No matter how many people die from cocaine (high profile - Katy french, gerry Ryan) and these silly girls now guaranteed to be in prison for years for smuggling, people never seem to learn: they still do cocaine and they still smuggle drugs.
    Why is this?

These silly silly eejit girls, their lives are ruined :(

On the contrary, in my opinion the NI girl will eventually become a 'celeb' in Ireland. An appearance & applause on the Late Late, leading to offers of a job in modelling, newspaper columnist, perhaps even a spot on some Irish TV Soap. most certainly a book, progressing to a movie, a shot at Politics if some Party sees that she has the wind at her back?

(Hope she has the good sense to keep a Diary) & good luck to her.

Mark my words it'll surely come to pass because we Irish are suckers for a sob story and always will be.

I'd say her parents & solicitor are pencilled in for the LLS already, and if people think they've heard all the excuses already, well, they've heard nothing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd say her parents & solicitor are pencilled in for the LLS already, and if people think they've heard all the excuses already, well, they've heard nothing yet.

This. Without a shadow of a doubt.

Thankfully I never watch the show, so I won't see it, but I'm damn sure I'll read about it the next day!

FWIW, I'd fall into the "don't believe a word of their story, but still manage to feel a bit sorry for them all the same" camp. And I don't envy them their next few years one little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Scots girls father is suggesting they should plead guilty, and that his daughter is considering this.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2401526/Im-100-sure-story-Peru-drug-mules-father-wants-daughter-plead-GUILTY-case-indefensible.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Where is Michaella's family in all this?
    All we see is Melissa's father.

My heart goes out to that man and his family-no matter what those girls have done, you can see the heartbreak in his eyes.
    It's always the families I feel for in stories like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

fussyonion wrote: »

My heart goes out to that man and his family-no matter what those girls have done, you can see the heartbreak in his eyes.

That's her brother walking to the right behind Melissas father in the pic accompanying article above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

fussyonion wrote: »

Except her brother, probably at home in bits.
    Boombastic wrote: »
    That's her brother walking to the right behind Melissas father in the pic accompanying article above

With the glasses?
    No, it's this guy - http://cdn3.independent.ie/incoming/article29510876.ece/ALTERNATES/h342/RTRMADP_3_PERU_28.jpg

http://cdn4.independent.ie/incoming/article29510875.ece/ALTERNATES/h342/RTRMADP_3_PERU_27.jpg

Regardless, he's over there.

Footage of them loading the taxi with their bags..
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2401540/Is-moment-cocaine-mules-took-drugs-airport-CCTV-shows-girls-putting-bags-taxi-minded-men-hours-arrest-Peru.html?ICO=most_read_module

Jaysus.

Melissa's Dad is 100% right in my opinion, plead f***ing guilty and be done with it in 2-3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

Phoenix wrote: »
    Should I have sympathy?

No.

Scots girls father is suggesting they should plead guilty, and that his daughter is considering this.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2401526/Im-100-sure-story-Peru-drug-mules-father-wants-daughter-plead-GUILTY-case-indefensible.html
    The only Western inmates, they will endure a military-style regime alongside 1,000 other female prisoners, including murderers and terrorists.

:eek: Oh God, they won't be able for this crowd, and I suspect that's exactly why they were placed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

It's an incredible tale. I believe that certain aspects of this story such as time frames and locations are true. All mentions of threats and guns I would reckon are poetic license to build up the coercion/duress basis of their defence. Over the course of their holiday they could easily have cobbled together this story in case they got stopped at the airport. The idea that some Facebook photos and a passport photo copy show a genuine threat to your family is laughable. The statement they've put forth leaves PLENTY of leads for cops on both sides of the Atlantic. The Jake character could easily be found in Ibiza no? They had a blackberry and had ample opportunity to call home/cops. They could have raised the alarm at any stage.

This is hair-raising stuff and although it's not the women's prison featured, it's the same system, and now that we know that have been placed alone into a really harsh prison, they will be facing at least some of this kind of environment.

http://documentaryheaven.com/worlds-toughest-prison-mexico-and-peru/

Horrifying. They must plead guilty Asap, hopefully then they might be moved to Ancon 2 or somewhere a bit less brutal.
    No wonder Melissa's Dad is already being so blunt about their needing to change their plea, without outright offending the Peruvian authorities.

• Advertisement

Rumour has it (no links)(tip-toe stuff) that some of the Peruvian Customs and Police are involved/are the connections over there.

Allegedly 5 people went over on different flights.
    Three Were "Professional" drug mules. They may all have met each other, the Three slipped through customs unscathed.
    The three are not in any other pictures, and the two girls were purposefully 'caught'.

As this is all conjecture, if a mod wants to delete it, i understand, but i am just relaying something that i believe may be true, as i believe the sources from which i heard it.

What sources?

Nope. Sorry.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Amazingfun wrote: »
    What sources?

he read it on the SUN newspaper...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

The Mail are some crowd, doctoring two separate photos on the headline to make it appear they are both looking extremely happy in the same photo. Could be a few pound in a claim for that!

gustafo wrote: »
    he read it on the SUN newspaper...

Yep, i paid the £1. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

if michaela goes to jail ireland should should start a war against them

my my my wrote: »

Yep, they should should. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

i take it back

however,

this whole debate is mis-focused

i think possibly befor we make rash decisions what ever we want there's no point being fatalistic

we should go back to overseeing ,

shaping the intelligence,

sort out and go on and promise nirvana ,

the whole campaign behind it,

as a reflection of the idealised form behind it.

but what aboot the bigger picture

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

my my my wrote: »
    A complete boycott of Peruvian cocaine should put it up them.
    See who blinks first then.

• Advertisement

I reiterate my deleted post.

Rumour has it (no links)(tip-toe stuff) that some of the Peruvian Customs and Police are involved/are the connections over there.

Three Were "Professional" drug mules. They may all have met each other, the Three slipped through customs unscathed.
    The three are not in any other pictures, and the two girls were purposefully 'caught'.

As this is all conjecture, if a mod wants to delete it, i understand, but i am just relaying something that i believe may be true, as i believe the sources from which i heard it.

I heard it (and other previously correct information) from somebody that works in a body related to these types of cases.

Some mad cráp going on, yet, the ones that grab the public eye, are the ones that grab the public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

I reiterate my deleted post.

I heard it (and other previously correct information) from somebody that works in a body related to these types of cases.

Some mad cráp going on, yet, the ones that grab the public eye, are the ones that grab the public eye.

Ex Boyfriend trying to hang them

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/exboyfriend-says-two-girls-moved-drugs-voluntarily-29525711.html

Mr Knowles said he also believes the girls were used as a visible distraction, while a bigger consignment of drugs was smuggled through the airport.
    "They were the diversion for the proper stuff going through. Anyone with common knowledge of the drugs world would know that you are not allowed to take food across international borders. So the girls should have known food packaging would have been suspicious. You have to ask yourself, why would they give them the drugs to carry in food packages? They were a decoy for the real thing."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf3ohmMHJW8

video tour of the prison 'penal de mujeres virgen de fatima' its in Chorrillos which is east of lima,
    the papers are saying the prison is north of lima.

below they got a new chapel in 2011,...ahh virgin the fatima i get it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4a7ICKztJA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

lods wrote: »
    Ex Boyfriend trying to hang them

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/exboyfriend-says-two-girls-moved-drugs-voluntarily-29525711.html

Mr Knowles said he also believes the girls were used as a visible distraction, while a bigger consignment of drugs was smuggled through the airport.

This chap is going to get himself shot. One thing most of us know is that drug dealers don't like attention from the press.

The soap opera continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

Have been following this story but so much doesn't seem to add up.
    Recent photos have emerged of the girls on a lovely sunny beach, apparently in Peru. But its winter in Peru now, Lima doesnt have a nice beach like that,and the sky is always grey in lima. Cuzco is in the mountains so its not there either! Anyone else have thoughts on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Is it a conspiracy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Wouldn't those pictures be in Ibiza...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭skirtgirl

It's 18 degrees there and sunny. Just checked the weather report for Lima.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Seek Jim Corr's opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Being cloe to the equator, there;s not much of a diffeence between winter and summer in Peru.

Are you saying they were photoshopped?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

There's beautiful beaches all up along the coast of Peru. I know because I was there.

Lima isn't always grey? :confused: The weather was gorgeous when I was there.

/thinly veiled "I've been in Peru" post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement