Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Beat me to it by seconds... Picture all over creepbook... Pretty funny, though I did sort of think wtf are those kids parents thinking like....

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Innocent until peruvian guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Please dont make me trawl through the posts!...apparently it has been confirmed...by the girls and a rubber stamp...

[ Michealla flew out first class]

Yip, she flew out first class because there were no seats available in cattle class apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

lods wrote: »
    Ex Boyfriend trying to hang them

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/exboyfriend-says-two-girls-moved-drugs-voluntarily-29525711.html

Mr Knowles said he also believes the girls were used as a visible distraction, while a bigger consignment of drugs was smuggled through the airport.

and a big bright purple suitcase as well. Conspicuous.....no!

not a big leap to think that their is a "ring" inside the airport also. I mean didn't they just find out about this type of thing going on in Sydney Airport just a couple of months ago. Nothing to Declare eh??????

and a big bright purple suitcase as well. Conspicuous.....no!

not a big leap to think that their is a "ring" inside the airport also. I mean didn't they just find out about this type of thing going on in Sydney Airport just a couple of months ago. Nothing to Declare eh??????

Most commentators seem to agree that the airport authorities get regular tip offs to ensure that they get their 'catch' frequently. Whether this is to 'allow' other mules through or to distract the authorities at key times is up for debate.

But for me the fact remains that these two girls had the drugs in their suitcases and were trying to smuggle them.
    Whether the authorities were tipped off is not really relevant to their case, but is obviously unfortunate in their eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Most commentators seem to agree that the airport authorities get regular tip offs to ensure that they get their 'catch' frequently. Whether this is to 'allow' other mules through or to distract the authorities at key times is up for debate.

But for me the fact remains that these two girls had the drugs in their suitcases and were trying to smuggle them.
    Whether the authorities were tipped off is not really relevant to their case, but is obviously unfortunate in their eyes.

That is correct.

It was a large amount, that's what would make you wonder were they tipped off,,,but bringing back food packages always meant the packages were going to be examined.

Rightwing wrote: »
    That is correct.

It was a large amount, that's what would make you wonder were they tipped off,,,but bringing back food packages always meant the packages were going to be examined.

Yes, it was a large amount, but in Peruvian cost terms it is relatively small change...so worth the sacrifice.

Worth adding that these two could have been so nervous that it was pretty obvious they were carrying. Combine that with tickets bought at short notice, not been dressed like a normal backpacker and having suit cases as opposed to rugsacks and you have a slam dunk.

Yes, it was a large amount, but in Peruvian cost terms it is relatively small change...so worth the sacrifice.

Worth adding that these two could have been so nervous that it was pretty obvious they were carrying. Combine that with tickets bought at short notice, not been dressed like a normal backpacker and having suit cases as opposed to rugsacks and you have a slam dunk.

Indeed.

The whole episode would put me off going to Peru however. Waiting so long for a trial :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Indeed.

The whole episode would put me off going to Peru however. Waiting so long for a trial :eek:

Why? Were you planning on smuggling drugs?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Why? Were you planning on smuggling drugs?

In the very unlikely event someone did slip something into your bag. Seems like you wouldn't be getting any justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Montroseee wrote: »
    I've friends that have worked in Ibiza for a summer in college. You need a few grand saved up before you go over, the wages club workers get are not even worth talking about - 40 euro a night max. Some of the nightclubs for example are 60-70 cover charge so when even if your working it's easy to rack up a big debt quickly and have to come home.

60-70? I'm calling shenanigans on that. I was there about 10 years ago and didn't pay more than about 20-25 in anywhere. I can't see the prices going up that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yep, if they chose to smuggle drugs more fool them that they got fed to the authorities.

This will dip out of the media soon - within a few weeks at the latest. Then reality will set in and I'd imagine a guilty plea will be forthcoming within the next couple of months.

In the very unlikely event someone did slip something into your bag. Seems like you wouldn't be getting any justice.

There was a british woman on sky news last week, interviewed from inside one of the jails.
    Her story was that she was innocent and pleaded guilty to ensure she served the least possible time. She was crying on camera about her innocence etc.

But the thing is that the drugs were found at the airport inside her guitar. I think there was 4kgs in there. Now, if you had an acoustic guitar then surely you would notice if it gained 4kg in extra weight? Perhaps not, but seemed outlandish to me.
    Of course it could have been an electric one, but how would you get 4kg of coke inside one of those? There is not much spare room in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Who seems not to be getting justice?

There was a british woman on sky news last week, interviewed from inside one of the jails.
    Her story was that she was innocent and pleaded guilty to ensure she served the least possible time. She was crying on camera about her innocence etc.

But the thing is that the drugs were found at the airport inside her guitar. I think there was 4kgs in there. Now, if you had an acoustic guitar then surely you would notice if it gained 4kg in extra weight? Perhaps not, but seemed outlandish to me.
    Of course it could have been an electric one, but how would you get 4kg of coke inside one of those? There is not much spare room in there!

Years ago an old woman asked me to carry her bag,,,,it was too heavy she claimed, maybe she was genuine, but I didn't take the chance. There will be a case when someone is genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Same story with the woman from NI recently interviewed, she was given a bunch of schoolbags and handbags to bring home for a friend and somehow didn't notice the couple of kilos stitched into each bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

OhHiMark wrote: »
    60-70? I'm calling shenanigans on that. I was there about 10 years ago and didn't pay more than about 20-25 in anywhere. I can't see the prices going up that much.

Tickets for the big famous parties (Cream, Cocoon, We Love Space etc.) range from 40 € to 80 € depending on party and disco. (Although the smaller clubs and discos in the town centres cost considerably less).

But then again, this is Ibiza, and you would pay as much at home for a concert ticket: and I can promise you, these are nights that you will never forget. Put into perspective, it doesn't seem that expensive after all!

A Vodka Lemon will cost you up to 15 € in a club, or 10 € in Ibiza Town or one of the pre-club bars. A beer (or water) will cost you up to 12 € in a club and 6-8 € elsewhere. As you can see it quickly adds up.

http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/tips_i.htm

blade1 wrote: »
    Who seems not to be getting justice?

Some British chap got no justice, his friend smuggled drugs, he had to serve over a year, guilty by association. He got out after a year after some human rights organisation won his case for him. There's a link to this about 10 pages back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

Some British chap got no justice, his friend smuggled drugs, he had to serve over a year, guilty by association. He got out after a year after some human rights organisation won his case for him. There's a link to this about 10 pages back.

Similar to the case of the Irish brothers in Venezuela. The younger brother was apparently not smuggling any drugs and according to the older brother was not party to the smuggling plot yet was jailed. Guilt by association. I do realise these brothers have now escaped from prison and are back on Irish soil but it would have been a horrible experience for the innocent brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Tickets for the big famous parties (Cream, Cocoon, We Love Space etc.) range from 40 € to 80 € depending on party and disco. (Although the smaller clubs and discos in the town centres cost considerably less).

But then again, this is Ibiza, and you would pay as much at home for a concert ticket: and I can promise you, these are nights that you will never forget. Put into perspective, it doesn't seem that expensive after all!

A Vodka Lemon will cost you up to 15 € in a club, or 10 € in Ibiza Town or one of the pre-club bars. A beer (or water) will cost you up to 12 € in a club and 6-8 € elsewhere. As you can see it quickly adds up.

http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/tips_i.htm

Crazy money. I was in one of this big ones back then, I think it was Space, and there's no way I paid anywhere near that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Crazy money. I was in one of this big ones back then, I think it was Space, and there's no way I paid anywhere near that.

Yep, it's mental money alright.
    I always picked my Spanish holidays resorts on the basis of being able to get beer or a vodka at €1.50, and 3 cocktails for a tenner. Then free into a club or at most a token €5 entry.

I don't understand the economics of Ibiza at all going by those prices vis a vis the wages suggested for staff (€40 a night).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I'm not saying read the whole thread, just maybe the previous hour's posts or the previous few pages and you would have seen that picture posted on numerous occasions.

and the next three posts immediately after that post..... :)
    I think it should be. It may uncover why/how the whole thing works. Why naive girls are chosen etc..
    That is correct.

It was a large amount, that's what would make you wonder were they tipped off.

Not a large amount by any means.

As for the the people that said she flew first-class, and those that queried it.
    mail
    Miss Connolly, from Northern Ireland, has admitted that they were flown first class to Lima. It was also claimed yesterday that the women were seen going on a huge spending spree there.

mirror
    They’ll probably wonder why drug lords apparently offered thousands of pounds to these girls if they were successful, which doesn’t sound like abduction to me, and why they booked them first-class when intimidation would be cheaper in economy.

It is a bit nuts.

http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/promoters/cream_i.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Years ago an old woman asked me to carry her bag,,,,it was too heavy she claimed, maybe she was genuine, but I didn't take the chance. There will be a case when someone is genuine.

Some woman was putting pressure on my mam to bring a package through Schipol (Amsterdam) airport a couple of weeks ago. She kept up the pressure up and had the old, 'my bag is too heavy' trick. :rolleyes: :D

Yeah, my 80 year old mother will carry your heavy bags for you !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Please dont make me trawl through the posts!...apparently it has been confirmed...by the girls and a rubber stamp...

[ Michealla flew out first class]

I retract the retraction then !

Its a bit funny how they got a free upgrade to first class, surely if they were fully they would end up in in business class ?

Boombastic wrote: »
    Some woman was putting pressure on my mam to bring a package through Schipol (Amsterdam) airport a couple of weeks ago. She kept up the pressure up and had the old, 'my bag is too heavy' trick. :rolleyes: :D

Yeah, my 80 year old mother will carry your heavy bags for you !!

Yeah, they'll eventually get some naive individual unfortunately though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You can't slip that amount of coke into a bag, that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

imitation wrote: »
    I retract the retraction then !

Its a bit funny how they got a free upgrade to first class, surely if they were fully they would end up in in business class ?

Michealla flew out first class the day after Melissa as apparently there were no other seats available.

You can't slip that amount of coke into a bag, that's the problem.

Not necessarily, because it doesn't have to be that amount. If you were caught with 50g I'd say you would be in serious trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

dharma200 wrote: »
    Beat me to it by seconds... Picture all over creepbook... Pretty funny, though I did sort of think wtf are those kids parents thinking like....
    And to think, if only you got here just a few minutes earlier, you could have been the first to post that picture on boards.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

Phoebas wrote: »
    ????
    Why would drug smugglers go out of their way to match (what you this is the) profile of drug smugglers?
    Because there are probably half a dozen other mules on the flight but the 2 white girls are obviously out of place and are maybe even tipped off to the police by the drugs gang as a means of allowing the others to slip through unnoticed.

Sacrifice one load and keep their main consignment going through safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I wonder how they're getting on behind bars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 The bushman

lukesmom wrote: »

I don't think they will be updating their Facebook profiles anytime soon, changing their address to Lima Peru!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

Probably paddling in a hot water tub working on their tans and making lots of new girlfriends, giving each other beauty makeover tips and discussing how many pairs of shoes they are going to buy when they get out.

How d fack do you think they're getting on?

EdCastle wrote: »
    Probably paddling in a hot water tub working on their tans and making lots of new girlfriends, giving each other beauty makeover tips and discussing how many pairs of shoes they are going to buy when they get out.

I don't know. Hence my wondering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

I don't know. Hence my wondering

Haven't you ever seen a drama or documentary on prison?

It's not Beverly Hills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I wonder when the girls will realise the reality of their situation? It's not good for their mental health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Apparently one of them is hysterical. Doctor was in with her, (presumably to give her valium/xanex.)
    Haven't heard anything else.
    That was posted on some crime forum, someone said they read it on a blog from somebody in there. I don't know if that's a prison officer/worker or a prisoner.

It's not Beverly Hills!
    Maybe she is like me.
    I actually have never seen any but after all the talk about(and apologies for mentioning it again) BANGED UP ABROAD,I am after ordering 73 episodes of it on ebay.
    Hope it lives up to the hype:D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭redtapestyl

blade1 wrote: »
    Maybe he is like me.
    I actually have never seen any but after all the talk about(and apologies for mentioning it again) BANGED UP ABROAD,I am after ordering 73 episodes of it on ebay.
    Hope it lives up to the hype:D

What is Banged up Abroad ?? Who is Banged up Abroad ?

What is Banged up Abroad ?? Who is Banged up Abroad ?
    Haven't a clue but I'll tell you all about it after I watch it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

It's not Beverly Hills!
    Yes, it's full of butch, Australian lesbians in dungarees and shaky walls and backdrops.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 The bushman

Yes, it's full of butch, Australian lesbians in dungarees and shaky walls and backdrops.

I was thinking along the same lines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I was thinking along the same lines!!
    The young whippersnappers won't get it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

The young whippersnappers won't get it at all.

The sad thing is they (the young whippersnappers) won't even watch it. I think every teenager should be made watch it.

There's a big world out there and it's not all pretty, especially if you do something very, very stupid.

He used to bring me roses, I wish he would again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement