Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Aineoil wrote: »
    The sad thing is they (the young whippersnappers) won't even watch it. I think every teenager should be made watch it.

There's a big world out there and it's not all pretty, especially if you do something very, very stupid.
    Seeing Freak Ferguson and Vinegar Tits might scare a few whippersnappers back onto the straight and narrrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

lukesmom wrote: »
    He used to bring me roses, I wish he would again.

That was in the old days and things were different then :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Boombastic wrote: »
    That was in the old days and things were different then :mad:

Maybe one of them will become Top Dog and end up running the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Maybe one of them will become Top Dog and end up running the place

Bea was the best top dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

Starts 10pm Wednesday on Channel 5.

Sacrilege (I can't get Channel 5).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

think coatesy summed it up perfectly.

A couple a carried away party girls who wanted a celeb lifestyle and loads of drama without any effort. end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Aineoil wrote: »
    I wonder when the girls will realise the reality of their situation? It's not good for their mental health.

it certainly hasn't been good for Schapelle Corby's mental health, poor girl..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

You aren't kidding. All she had was marijuana, and it's cost her her life really. She will never be the same.

How about those other aussies too, 'The Bali Nine' the group that was caught out smuggling. Two of them are on death row now and although they have done sort of alright in prison (painting, etc), after many years of having to adjust, that is.....you can tell it's absolute hell on earth in there :(

It fascinates me to watch all these docs but I truly feel for many of them, including our 'Peru 2'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Amazingfun wrote: »
    You aren't kidding. All she had was marijuana, and it's cost her her life really. She will never be the same.

How about those other aussies too, 'The Bali Nine' the group that was caught out smuggling. Two of them are on death row now and although they have done sort of alright in prison (painting, etc), after many years of having to adjust, that is.....you can tell it's absolute hell on earth in there :(

It fascinates me to watch all these docs but I truly feel for many of them, including our 'Peru 2'.

Schapelle Corby is an interesting case......many believe that she is innocent. Theres also alot of evidence to support her innocense too. She was found guilty by a judge not jury.

I do fell sorry for her. She was only caught with weed - weed hardly destroys communities like cocaine does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Sorry as a side point, both these girls had relationships with men in their 30's during their time in Ibiza which really doesn't look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Montroseee wrote: »
    Sorry as a side point, both these girls had relationships with men in their 30's during their time in Ibiza which really doesn't look good.

:confused:

I don't think their age matters. I think what should be more important is that both the men they had relationships with have a known criminal/drug past.

Both have been involved with crime, i think one did some time, maybe both. And both have a history with drugs, and i don't mean as users.

As for Schapelle Corby, she seemed to come from a very emotional family anyway, I don't think she was in the best mental health to begin with.
    But guilty or not, her sentence seems very very harsh.

Cocaine does destroy communities, and one of it's biggest users was Adolf Hitler.. :D - Which doesn't do it any favours.
    But it's still legal in many forms and if you went to South America, and chewed a leaf from the plant that grows there, it would have the same effect. My point is, it's not a lethal drug and can easily be controlled. The main reason it is illegal is because it wasn't controlled. Children were taking it, it was in many normal products you could buy over the counter, one of the most 'unusual' by todays standards, would be Toothpaste.
    It bacame synonymous with violent crime, and because anyone (committing a crime) on it appeared to have crazy amounts of vitality/vigour they were deemed very dangerous, which ultimately led to banning it.

Marijuana is a completely different kettle of fish in my opinion.
    But equally, uncontrolled, can lead to depression, paranoia and other things.

But her sentence was harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

free the peru 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Allyall wrote: »
    :But it's still legal in many forms and if you went to South America, and chewed a leaf from the plant that grows there, it would have the same effect.
    [/B]

Chewing the coca leaf is to Peruvians as drinking tea is to the Irish. Its just completely normal. The coca plant is a totally legitimate plant to grow there, or would be only for cocaine and I don't believe there are many cocaine users in the local population.

I wouldn't say it has the same effect as cocaine though. It has a very very mild stimulant effect. Tonnes of coca leaf are needed to produce small amounts of cocaine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

:confused:

I don't think their age matters. I think what should be more important is that both the men they had relationships with have a known criminal/drug past.

Both have been involved with crime, i think one did some time, maybe both. And both have a history with drugs, and i don't mean as users.

It's that which would lead me to think that the girls' capture wasn't a tip off to the authorities. If you were going to send someone on a drug run that you knew was going to end in arrest, would you send someone who could be linked intimately to you? Of course, maybe the guys in Ibiza just send the mules to Peru and the guys on the Peruvian side tip off the police.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

As for Schapelle Corby, she seemed to come from a very emotional family anyway, I don't think she was in the best mental health to begin with.
    But guilty or not, her sentence seems very very harsh.

A couple of things made that case much worse than it needed to be...for example her big-mouthed siter Mercedes accusing the authorities of planting the drugs,Scahpelle herself accusing the authorities of planting the drugs and her refusal to plead guilty....all these factors served to upset the Judge and effectively doubled the sentence she received.

The two irish idiots would do well to rememebr this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

my my my wrote: »
    free the peru 2

No way. They should do time. Not too long that they can't pick up the pieces afterwards though, and re-build their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

my my my wrote: »
    free the peru 2
    Why? Because they're Irish?
    They got caught smuggling drugs.
    Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Who's Schapelle Corby :confused:

Thought I'd been diligently keeping up with this thread, but clearly not......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

She's an Australian drug mule who was caught in Indonesia about 10 years ago and also has a colorful story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

One eyed Jack(whatever his name,wahay the lads)made a good point that they may have been the dummys put out there for a bigger consignment by the dealers packing them in branded food bags when food being brought through is another thing they would be looking out for.

• Advertisement

tipptom wrote: »
    One eyed Jack(whatever his name,wahay the lads)made a good point that they may have been the dummys put out there for a bigger consignment by the dealers packing them in branded food bags when food being brought through is another thing they would be looking out for.

It was an appalling attempt at concealment...no gang with any experience would pack cocaine in such a cach-handed manner.

Either these two girls were sacrificial lambs as a larger decoy *or* they arranged this run themselves and botched packing the stuff up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

On the inside the sun still shines and the rain falls down, but the sun and rain are prisoners too, when mornlng comes around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

The Rain is innocent.

Free the Rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

callom wrote: »
    Says it all.

Are you actually taking the piss? Have you read any of the last few pages of this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The next person posting that image should be sent straight to jail with the 2 girls and given double the sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I am pie wrote: »
    The next person posting that image should be sent straight to jail with the 2 girls and given double the sentence.

What image ? :P

Is it the one of them on the beach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

callom wrote: »
    What about their Mothers who dressed them up and paraded them around at a fair.

They would want you to be sent to prison too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

The mothers were set up. They were kidnapped by a gang. They had their passports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The mothers were set up. They were kidnapped by a gang. They had their passports.

And the mothers did not realize that they were dressing their kids up as the Peru two. They thought it was French and Saunders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Actually, they were forced to dress them like that at gunpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

kylith wrote: »

By someone anonymous :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

By someone anonymous :D
    Who may or may not have taken the photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

[/B][/I][/B]
    kylith wrote: »
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Who may or may not have taken the photo.

Definitely at gun point, and the same guy who 'forced the original two into it' took the photo. You can tell by looking at the picture, everyone was told 'don't look at my f#*k*#g face' they obviously all s*#t themselves:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Google is unreal, just type it in and off she goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

fits wrote: »
    Chewing the coca leaf is to Peruvians as drinking tea is to the Irish. Its just completely normal. The coca plant is a totally legitimate plant to grow there, or would be only for cocaine and I don't believe there are many cocaine users in the local population.

I wouldn't say it has the same effect as cocaine though. It has a very very mild stimulant effect. Tonnes of coca leaf are needed to produce small amounts of cocaine.

yep. I've tried coca leaves in bolivia and it's less stimulating than coffee. But it does have a good effect on altitude sickness. I also tried chewing tobacco and that **** is vile. I retched after 2 minutes.
    Coca tea is a really nice green tea. And once again, it's less stimulating than coffee. I'd drink it as a morning drink rather than coffee because it's healthier.

Grayson wrote: »
    yep. I've tried coca leaves in bolivia and it's less stimulating than coffee. But it does have a good effect on altitude sickness. I also tried chewing tobacco and that **** is vile. I retched after 2 minutes.
    Coca tea is a really nice green tea. And once again, it's less stimulating than coffee. I'd drink it as a morning drink rather than coffee because it's healthier.
    mmmm so is there some way of making super coke out of coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

How does he know that they will do 'a little over 2 years' if they plead guilty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

More to the point the article states she is an Irish model...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Grayson wrote: »

watched a documentary once on Bolivia - altitude sickness is common among foreigners - they give them coca to ease the sickness. The person in the documentary had some and kept having it while there - the locals use it all the time.

How does he know that they will do 'a little over 2 years' if they plead guilty?

He may have been informed, directly or indirectly, by the Peruvian authorities.
    Mr Madden, who visited Michaella in Peru earlier this month, said this morning that the Irish model is now faced with a decision of how to proceed with her court case.

“The Peruvian system is geared towards people pleading guilty to their offenses or ‘recognising their guilt’,” he told RTE’s Morning Ireland.

If [the two girls] take that course they could share just over two years imprisonment, whereas if they go to trial, it will be two years before the trail even starts.”

This coming from a lawyer who reportedly said these women are innocent a couple of weeks ago. The media circus continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

This coming from a lawyer who reportedly said these women are innocent a couple of weeks ago. The media circus continues.

She can plead guilty and still maintain her innocence when released due to their legal system. If it's true that they would be released in 2 years by pleading guilty then they really have no choice but to plead guilty, even if they are somehow innocent.

the solicitor for Michaela McCollum was on radio early this morning discussing what was going on there.

he last saw her on Saturday - she was in good spirits but frightened. These two are the only ones to speak english where they are now. They are actually Not in their last destination prison - they are in a "classification" cell which means they will decide in the next few days which part of this prison or another prison is more suitable for them for the duration.

he also said that the system in peru is not geared up for people pleading innocent - only for pleading guilty. He has told his client that if they plead guilty they will get two years approx - if they plead innocent their trial won't come up for two years and then they will have to bank on being exonerated or they will spend more years there. He said his client wants to plead not guilty.

he also said that the food there is terrible - inmates must pay for all their food - the basic food is very bad - the more money you pay, the better the food gets - everything has to be paid for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Still can't understand why they are pleading innocent. They must be believing their own lies. They seriously need to cop on and plead guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Or maybe he was in 'after hours ' on boards.ie

So the Nordie lawyer has gone from trumpeting the story that they were kidnapped to telling them they need to plead guilty in order to get out quckly.

What an utter penis,he should have stayed out of it altogether.

Not a bad system really!! "look we know you did it, your story is rediculous, we see this every week ...just tell us the truth and we let you go in two years.....lie and you'll do 10"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The lawyer was also appealing for funds, cant help but have mixed feelings about, on one hand its really hard on the family, on the other how innocent are they ?

chopper6 wrote: »
    So the Nordie lawyer has gone from trumpeting the story that they were kidnapped to telling them they need to plead guilty in order to get out quckly.

What an utter penis,he should have stayed out of it altogether.

he has told them how the system works - its up to them to decide. He will represent (along with the local lawyer) whatever they decide. He has to tell them upfront what the situation is - he wouldn't be much of a lawyer otherwise. Still, I guess is way more sensationalist for board members to say he is backtracking. Any lawyer would have to inform their client about how a system worlds.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement