Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Teagwee wrote: »
    I think I'd be taking that 'news' story with a pinch of salt ... or something else white and grainy. A bit like the original story we heard ... a tad implausible.
    What's not to believe? Business man on the verge of financial ruin, hooks up with drug dealer, recruits local 20 year old to go to Ibzia and pull off a fool proof scam. On the off chance she was caught, she has an airtight cover story.

Seems legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I think I'd be taking that 'news' story with a pinch of salt ... or something else white and grainy. A bit like the original story we heard ... a tad implausible.

In fact, I find this version to be the most truthful so far really. It rings true to me.

Sad thing though, if she was told that by telling the truth she might get off.....a fellow prisoner wrote this to the girls parents (I think):

http://goo.gl/YH908U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Amazingfun wrote: »
    In fact, I find this version to be the most truthful so far really. It rings true to me.

Sad thing though, if she was told that by telling the truth she might get off.....a fellow prisoner wrote this to the girls parents (I think):

http://goo.gl/YH908U

That's just from someone that wants to keep the girls there longer, so they can have their wicked way with them... :pac:

Allyall wrote: »
    That's just from someone that wants to keep the girls there longer, so they can have their wicked way with them... :pac:

I know you're joking but, it's from Bronwyn Atherton , and she's not even in the same prison as them.

Sad thing is, she begs the parents not to waste money on Lawyers, that it will do them no good whatsoever, which is exactly what most of us on here said from DAY ONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Ah, 'mr big' is involved. That didn't take long. He's connected to everything, after all. That said, the actual story seems like the most likely interpretation of what happened.

On a side note, that close up high res picture is really brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Just to all those berating the 'awful Peruvian prison conditions', all the family members are saying that the prison is actually fine. In the latest article the only complaint is the 'awful food'. Now remember these comments are being made by family members trying to extract sympathy funds for their cause.

Depsite the hysteria, women's prisons in Peru are known for being very good. The conditions Michaela and Melissa find themselves in are probably a lot better than the conditions that male Irish prisoners find themselves in when imprisoned in Mountjoy for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

that makes them guilty. If i was coerced into doing something and i honestly believed it was right...then i'm guilty.

I never said they weren't guilty.

Bogota wrote: »
    Just to all those berating the 'awful Peruvian prison conditions', all the family members are saying that the prison is actually fine. In the latest article the only complaint is the 'awful food'. Now remember these comments are being made by family members trying to extract sympathy funds for their cause.

Depsite the hysteria, women's prisons in Peru are known for being very good. The conditions Michaela and Melissa find themselves in are probably a lot better than the conditions that male Irish prisoners find themselves in when imprisoned in Mountjoy for example.

Links to the family claiming the conditions are fine?

We saw an interview with Melissa's Dad where he said it wasn't as bad as they were expecting, but that he knew that could change when they are moved (which they will be eventually).

geeky wrote: »
    Ah, 'mr big' is involved. That didn't take long. He's connected to everything, after all. That said, the actual story seems like the most likely interpretation of what happened.

The lyrics say it all..

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

geeky wrote: »

Well he had to find another line of work after Sex and the City finished up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Links to the family claiming the conditions are fine?

We saw an interview with Melissa's Dad where he said it wasn't as bad as they were expecting, but that he knew that could change when they are moved (which they will be eventually).

Also, they are in an assessment unit at the moment. They have not yet been sent to their final destination.

I am pie wrote: »
    Change speeding for smuggling and your analogy falls to pieces. They were caught, red-handed, trying to smuggle coke out of Peru. Suitcases were full of toot bagged up in food packaging. They can argue coercion, but their case seems to be flimsy heresay and fairly short on facts. So yes, no problem with helping them down the road on their decision.

If the lawyer turns up some compelling evidence, other than the farcical suggestion they testify for each other, for their story then they ought to have an accelerated court date. I hope that's what the forthcoming hearing relates to.

You're still missing the point. Forget about the fact that they were caught red-handed. It's still a case of plead guilty and take your punishment OR plead not guilty and taken a harsher punishment. That is a system which is grossly unfair. You seem to know a lot about the Peruvian judicial system. Tell us then, if someone is arrested on charges of assault does the same dilemma apply? The guy didn't do it or perhaps it was self defence and this can be proven in court by witnesses, does he (a) plead guilty to the assault charge and take his 6 months in the slammer, lose his job and maybe his home because his wife has to sell everything to feed him while he's incarcerated or (b) plead not-guilty, wait 3 YEARS for his trial while he's banged up and lose all the aforementioned PLUS 2.5 more years of his life?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

MonaPizza wrote: »
    You're still missing the point. Forget about the fact that they were caught red-handed.

Why would you want to"forget about the fact they were caught red-handed" in order for you to indulge yourself in yet another fanciful theory?

Why is it implausible? What part of the story could not have happened?

chopper6 wrote: »
    Why would you want to"forget about the fact they were caught red-handed" in order for you to indulge yourself in yet another fanciful theory?

What theory am I putting forward? Trying to explain something to you is like trying to dig a hole in a lake. I'm merely pointing out indictees in Peru are faced with an unfair dilemma.

But go ahead, counter with the "they were caught red-handed" sh!t and demonstrate that the whole discussion is lost on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What theory am I putting forward? Trying to explain something to you is like trying to dig a hole in a lake. I'm merely pointing out indictees in Peru are faced with an unfair dilemma.

But go ahead, counter with the "they were caught red-handed" sh!t and demonstrate that the whole discussion is lost on you.

With all due respect, I think you're credibility on this thread took a hammering a while back so I don't think you should claiming that the whole discussion is lost on some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Why is it implausible? What part of the story could not have happened?

I find it hard to believe she was a dancer in a nightclub (save for maybe on the dance floor). She's fugly!!!!

Uriel. wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe she was a dancer in a nightclub (save for maybe on the dance floor). She's fugly!!!!

I bet she's a cráp dancer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭gitane007

At least this crowd made an effort to conceal the drugs somewhat

http://news.sky.com/story/1140444/woman-hid-drugs-in-fake-pregnancy-belly

gitane007 wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Imagine her waters had broke? What would she have done then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I wonder how that idea was conceived.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I wonder how that idea was conceived.:confused:

Deliver 4lb 7oz?

Sorry, couldn't resist:

nappies.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

nothing at all wrong with giving extra punishment to people who plead not guilty and are found to be lying.
    they aren't accepting responsibility for what they did, it really is a fairly standard reaction from folks these days , taking no personal responsibility for their own actions.
    Those girls took a huge risk in doing what they did and they got caught, they deserve to do the same time as anyone else regardless of their nationality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Fraggle Rock

2 more Irish girls were arrested this week in Ibiza for drugs offences. It's on RTE.ie and independent.ie.

Still in custody awaiting charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Are people still arguing the girls innocence here?

Jesus wept.

weiland79 wrote: »

Jesus wept.

To be honest it is hard to work out what point certain people are trying to make...real head scratching stuff!

2 more Irish girls were arrested this week in Ibiza for drugs offences. It's on RTE.ie and independent.ie.

Still in custody awaiting charges.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/two-irish-women-arrested-on-suspicion-of-drug-offences-in-ibiza-29574571.html

They were forced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Jesus wept.

Maybe you can provide us with the evidence you have that proves their absolute guilt?

• Advertisement

Maybe you can provide us with the evidence you have that proves their absolute guilt?

That is a ridiculous request.

Given that the majority in here believe them to be guilty as their story does not add up.....perhaps you could tell us why you believe them to be not guilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

No no no

No way pal you're not sucking me into that bs. For me it's cut and dry. Two girls two bags full of cocaine. got caught tough sh!t. See you in 5 to 20.

No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no

No way pal you're not sucking me into that bs. For me it's cut and dry. Two girls two bags full of cocaine. got caught tough sh!t. See you in 5 to 20.

:mad:
    Now i have 2Unlimited stuck in my head.

Michaella is still considering her plea apparently, while Melissa has pretty much agreed to plead guilty, with her family all telling her it's her best option. Wouldn't Michaella be absolutely daft not to now?
    I presume if Melissa is going to plead guilty it will leave Michaella with no choice..
    other than to tell the Judge... Melissa was part of the gang that forced her.

They are both up in Court next week, it will be a closed court, nobody from the public will be allowed in at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You're still missing the point. Forget about the fact that they were caught red-handed. It's still a case of plead guilty and take your punishment OR plead not guilty and taken a harsher punishment. That is a system which is grossly unfair. You seem to know a lot about the Peruvian judicial system. Tell us then, if someone is arrested on charges of assault does the same dilemma apply? The guy didn't do it or perhaps it was self defence and this can be proven in court by witnesses, does he (a) plead guilty to the assault charge and take his 6 months in the slammer, lose his job and maybe his home because his wife has to sell everything to feed him while he's incarcerated or (b) plead not-guilty, wait 3 YEARS for his trial while he's banged up and lose all the aforementioned PLUS 2.5 more years of his life?

I'm not sure if you realise this, by the looks if it you don't. But i'll try to explain.

Assault Assault happens, guy is arrested. Pleads guilty, no follow up investigation needed, goes to jail for however long you get for assault in Peru.

or

Assault happens, guy is arrested. Pleads not guilty/self defence. Flight risk is minimal, prob gets bail. There could be maybe up to 10 witnesses, maybe more. Could be CCTV to look at. Police check this all out. Taking 10/20 statements from witnesses and checking CCTV would take maybe a week? Or less. If self defence, guy gets off.

Smuggling Drugs Girls get caught with 11kg of cocaine in airport. Pleads guilty, no follow up investigation needed, goes to jail for however long you get for smuggling 11kg of coke out of Peru

or

Girls get caught with 11kg of cocaine in airport. Pleads not guilty, huge flight risk, no bail. Give story about kidnapping/colombian gangs/guns/coercian. All have to be investigated. Red tape involved as story is spread over 2 continents. All leads have to be followed up. If all leads are not followed, girls lawyers can say trial is biased etc. This will take a lot longer that an assault case, maybe up to 3 years. If girls are found to be lying then sentence is increased due to increased workload/expense of following up story across 2 continents and for non-cooperation.

Hope thats easy enough to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Mail front page suggests the Scottish girl has confessed. http://t.co/J8WYn8xIKB
    Story should be online at midnight.

Rascasse wrote: »
    Mail front page suggests the Scottish girl has confessed. http://t.co/J8WYn8xIKB
    Story should be online at midnight.

Full size version of same pic (Legible) - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUJuPWBCcAAizIP.jpg:large

MMcC still hasn't said anything..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Primus Pilus

MMcC is having her decision made for her by Melissa. Her best bet would be to plea along side Melissa. It would be silly to serve 3 years, awaiting trial with all the incrimination evidence, and on top of it have Melissa's guilty plea (or testimony) entered against her too.

So what happens? Do you just plead guilty and that's it or do you have to give details etc?

So what happens? Do you just plead guilty and that's it or do you have to give details etc?

"Yes, we did it, but don't ask us for details, because we're only saying guilty because you're forcing us.".. :pac:

Surely the Peruvian authorities aren't going to let them away with just pleading guilty for the 'benefits'?
    Then they could look innocent to the rest of the World.
    I'd imagine that they'll have to 'fess up and tell all, including every tiny little detail, forgetting nothing. So as to ensure there is no possibility that they made it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

They can't be forced to give any details, but there is a sentence range that can be handed down to them if they plead guilty and if they cooperate with the authorities they could get a sentence on the lower end of the scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Looking like she has no choice but to plead guilty now. In the mean time she can have family members sporadically popping up in news papers tossing out the victim angle and talking about her hellish conditions in prison. And when she gets out she will most likely have a late late show appearance and a book deal waiting for her.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Story in Irish Daily Mail today.

The Scottish one is to plead guilty and go for a plea bargain as she doesnt want to be locked up in jail anymore.

Shouldnt have smuggled drugs then in the 1st place luv,should you??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

So much for "sticking together" and sticking to "the story"....:pac::pac::pac:

The Irish one is truly fcuked now........as if anyone actually ever believed her cock and bull story in the 1st place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Can the Irish one not just plead guilty too?

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Can the Irish one not just plead guilty too?

No, She is saying that Melissa Reid was part of the gang that forced her... :pac:, Now Melissa's fckd.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Supposedly she also has a few male admirers in jail too..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You're still missing the point. Forget about the fact that they were caught red-handed. It's still a case of plead guilty and take your punishment OR plead not guilty and taken a harsher punishment. That is a system which is grossly unfair. You seem to know a lot about the Peruvian judicial system.
    Not just the Peruvian system. The practice of a prosceutor supporting a shorter sentence in return for a guilty plea is common. For admitting guilt and sparing the prosecution the time and expense of a trial. If a defendant can provide information about others who are involved in the same criminal activity, their sentence may be further reduced.

The real issue with the Peruvian justice system is not the issue of a lighter sentence for a guilty plea, it's the lengthy wait for a trial. I don't know if the Peruvian constitution includes a defendant's right to a speedy trial, but if it does, there's probably a violation there, and it's not hard to imagine that the reason for it is to encourage guilty pleas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Ah they will be both out in about 3 or 4 years. Que Celebrity Circuit and the book :rolleyes:

($) ($)
    U
    <___>

I think people are over selling this celebrity circuit they're going to be on once they get out. They'll get about 2 weeks of appearances on shows like the Late late and those afternoon shows and then they'll be forgotten. So I think this talk of them getting rich off this is a bit stretched. Come on, how many copies is of a book of their time in jail in Peru going to sell?

Let's be honest, the book market in Ireland is pretty small anyway so it'll be the British market if any that they'd be aiming for and there have been hundreds of British people locked up in South American prisons and we've heard all the stories so would anything new be revealed? I know these two are young and allegedly more marketable but even with that, I'd say they'll get their 5 minutes of fame and the we'll never hear from them again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement