Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

They could name their book "I'm a drug smuggler, get me out of here", and probably get a few extra appearances.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think people are over selling this celebrity circuit they're going to be on once they get out. They'll get about 2 weeks of appearances on shows like the Late late and those afternoon shows and then they'll be forgotten. So I think this talk of them getting rich off this is a bit stretched. Come on, how many copies is of a book of their time in jail in Peru going to sell?

Let's be honest, the book market in Ireland is pretty small anyway so it'll be the British market if any that they'd be aiming for and there have been hundreds of British people locked up in South American prisons and we've heard all the stories so would anything new be revealed? I know these two are young and allegedly more marketable but even with that, I'd say they'll get their 5 minutes of fame and the we'll never hear from them again.

They could probably give it a lesbian twist to boost sales....with the Irish one saying she was forced into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The irish one must be dim if she's still sticking to that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I doubt they would write a book - too much chance of tripping themselves up / being caught out on the details.

Imagine if they both released books, with conflicting accounts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

SO how does that work, she rats her mate out and they spend time in the same jail? cant see that ending well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Seems our smuggler is still clinging to her good name, sure the Peruvian system seems pretty unfair, pretty unfair that she would have to wait 2 years for a trial but it's well past time for being moralistic or dogmatic in her position. Be pragmatic, get home asap by making the guilty plea.

You aren't going to change their system, if one pleads guilty and the other not guilty then does it not follow that the guilty pleas of the accomplice implicate the person pleasding not guilty?

I actually believe that Matlock is advising her to plead guilty and the reality hasn't hit home yet. Seems the father of the other girl has got through to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

if mellissa pleads guilty then michaela can just blame her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

For what, putting the drugs in her bag?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

In fairness the deal that has been struck really makes it even more of a no brainer. Plead guilt to possession and they will not go after you for smuggling. Do your time, maintain the high ground (in your head if nothing else) and move on with life.

It is a sweet deal from where I am sitting (on the couch with ipad on lap).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Not doing much to counter the "not the sharpest tool in the shed" allegations currently.

I'd say they'll both plead guilty. There's no way they're sitting in the cell talking to each other..

Melissa: "Ach, I'll be oot in three years if i just giv 'um a wee confession."

Michaella: "Noo, but what if their lyn? Then we'll have pled guilty an we'll be stuck in hur fur the next twenta."

Melissa: "Ach, that isnnay the way et works, you're a daft wee lass you."

I am pie wrote: »
    Not doing much to counter the "not the sharpest tool in the shed" allegations currently.

Good job being thick is not a crime. This place would be pretty quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭redtapestyl

Allyall wrote: »
    I'd say they'll both plead guilty. There's no way they're sitting in the cell talking to each other..

Melissa: "Ach, I'll be oot in three years if i just giv 'um a wee confession."

Michaella: "Noo, but what if their lyn? Then we'll have pled guilty an we'll be stuck in hur fur the next twenta."

Melissa: "Ach, that isnnay the way et works, you're a daft wee lass you."

8/10 for the Scottish,
    Northie needs some improvements however

8/10 for the Scottish,
    Northie needs some improvements however

In my head it was perfect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

In fairness the deal that has been struck really makes it even more of a no brainer. Plead guilt to possession and they will not go after you for smuggling. Do your time, maintain the high ground (in your head if nothing else) and move on with life.

It is a sweet deal from where I am sitting (on the couch with ipad on lap).

Fairly sure they are charging her with smuggling also...
    “After a lot of thought and advice from my lawyer I am going to go in front of the judge and admit I was in possession of the drugs and that I went to Peru to pick up drugs to take to Spain — I am willing to plead guilty to that.

She maintains that “I did it under duress'' but goes on to say ... ''I am glad I do not have to say I accepted money to do it.” which makes me wonder might they just go ahead charge her with being a member of a gang who willingly smuggle for profit...if they have such evidence of course. [more than one way to skin a cat...apparently]

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/peru-drug-suspect-melissa-reid-to-plead-guilty-1.1528369

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

ronan45 wrote: »
    Ah they will be both out in about 3 or 4 years. Que Celebrity Circuit and the book :rolleyes:

($) ($)
    U
    <___>

What's all this crap about them getting lucrative contracts when they get out. How often do you turn on the TV and see some ex-con on the late-late? Every week some convict is on there spouting bullsh1t and expecting to be paid handsomely? Gimme a break. And are the shelves of Eason's and Waterstone's crammed with biographies of hundreds of different criminals and selling like hotcakes?
    After 15 years in prison in England the Guildford Four were all so mentally damaged that they just wanted to go away and die. And they were innocent and were in English prisons which do afford some degree of comfort. These two will spend 3 or 4 years in a fairly tough jail. When they get out it's my contention that they will be suffering severe mental and psychological damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

MonaPizza wrote: »
    What's all this crap about them getting lucrative contracts when they get out. How often do you turn on the TV and see some ex-con on the late-late? Every week some convict is on there spouting bullsh1t and expecting to be paid handsomely? Gimme a break. And are the shelves of Eason's and Waterstone's crammed with biographies of hundreds of different criminals and selling like hotcakes?
    After 15 years in prison in England the Guildford Four were all so mentally damaged that they just wanted to go away and die. And they were innocent and were in English prisons which do afford some degree of comfort. These two will spend 3 or 4 years in a fairly tough jail. When they get out it's my contention that they will be suffering severe mental and psychological damage.

Perhaps. They are young adults, with little life experience and most likely unaware of the phenomena of denial, projection and the dynamics of such a state of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

if mellissa pleads guilty then michaela can just blame her

But there both innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Primus Pilus

I agree with you, it'll be news when they first come home, but after the clamor dies, nobody is going to want to read/buy a book, about serving 3 years in prison. They aren't unique in that aspect. At most they'll pick up a few quid by being on Banged Up Abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Apparently under Peruvian law, according to today's Times, UK citizens can apply immediately to serve their jail sentence at home, which is likely to happen in Melissa's case. I wonder does such an legal agreement exist with Ireland, and if it doesn't that could be why Michaela's decision as to whether to plead guilty is a little harder than the Scot's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Apparently under Peruvian law, according to today's Times, UK citizens can apply immediately to serve their jail sentence at home, which is likely to happen in Melissa's case. I wonder does such an legal agreement exist with Ireland, and if it doesn't that could be why Michaela's decision as to whether to plead guilty is a little harder than the Scot's

Being from Belfast I presume she would avail of the British agreement too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Rascasse wrote: »
    Being from Belfast I presume she would avail of the British agreement too.

But she travelled under an Irish passport and afaik declared herself Irish upon arrest. We might recognise the complexities of the Good Friday agreement but I don't know if the Peruvians would care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Pleading guilty might not do too much good.

Joran van der Sloot was also advised to plead guilty when on trial in Peru (for murder) since not doing so would possibly see him locked away for 30 years.

Verdict after pleading guilty: 28 years.

Of course his crime and these girls and drugs possession/smuggling is not exactly the same.
    Just wanted to say with this that they shouldnt expect much lighter punishment just because they plead guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Grayson wrote: »
    But she travelled under an Irish passport and afaik declared herself Irish upon arrest. We might recognise the complexities of the Good Friday agreement but I don't know if the Peruvians would care.

I doubt the Peruvians care, they'll be glad to get rid of her. Looking at the UK government website the agreement covers her whether or not she considers herself British or has ever held a British passport.
    (a) that the person is a British citizen, or a person whose transfer the UK considers appropriate, having regard to close ties to the UK
    inforfun wrote: »

Joran van der Sloot was also advised to plead guilty when on trial in Peru (for murder) since not doing so would possibly see him locked away for 30 years.

Of course his crime and these girls and drugs possession/smuggling is not exactly the same.
    Just wanted to say with this that they shouldnt expect much lighter punishment just because they plead guilty.

The papers are saying it's a plea agreement, that they'll get 6 years 8 months, of which they'll serve half (presuming they are returned to the UK). I'd imagine it would be a sure thing if they were to agree to it.

Rascasse wrote: »
    I doubt the Peruvians care, they'll be glad to get rid of her. Looking at the UK government website the agreement covers her whether or not she considers herself British or has ever held a British passport.

The papers are saying it's a plea agreement, that they'll get 6 years 8 months, of which they'll serve half (presuming they are returned to the UK). I'd imagine it would be a sure thing if they were to agree to it.

Which begs the question why is she taking so long to decide!

• Grayson wrote: »

I don't think it matters what passport you have or what you declare yourself. AFAIK, if you're born in the UK, you're officially a British citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't think it matters what passport you have or what you declare yourself. AFAIK, if you're born in the UK, you're officially a British citizen.
    as stewart lee said "the ira were decent british terrorists.....they didn't want to be british.........but they were" :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

inforfun wrote: »

IMO they don't desreve leniancy...they told the authorities a pack of lies at the airport and at the initial press conference....thier arrogance in believing they'll walk away from such a serious matter will cost them dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

chopper6 wrote: »
    IMO they don't desreve leniancy...they told the authorities a pack of lies at the airport and at the initial press conference....thier arrogance in believing they'll walk away from such a serious matter will cost them dear.

Not sure if it is arrogance of being naive but i don't get the feeling they realise too well where they are.
    As if they think things will go the same in Peru as if they would have been caught here in Western - Europe.
    Keep telling bull manure and still get away with a slap on the wrist.

AFAIK, she was born in Monaghan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

But since she was born in Monaghan and spent the first 8 or so years of her life here where does that leave her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Witchie wrote: »
    But since she was born in Monaghan and spent the first 8 or so years of her life here where does that leave her?

dual citizen. entitled to be treated as a UK citizen if she chooses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Prison...In Peru.

Yes, from what I know she is an Irish citizen with an Irish passport. She has lived in the UK for 11 years but does not have a british passport or citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

dual citizen. entitled to be treated as a UK citizen if she chooses.

How if she has only lived a few years of her life in the north? Is it one of those "lived 5 years or more there so are a citizen" type things? I know I have dual citizenship but that is due to the fact that I was born in the north to a northern mother and my dad was born prior to 1948 so can also claim both, but not so sure she can.

• Advertisement

How if she has only lived a few years of her life in the north? Is it one of those "lived 5 years or more there so are a citizen" type things? I know I have dual citizenship but that is due to the fact that I was born in the north to a northern mother and my dad was born prior to 1948 so can also claim both, but not so sure she can.

You still have to apply for citizenship and go through a process. UK citizenship by virtue of the length of time of residency is not automatic, just like the process in Ireland. Didnt realise she was born in Monaghan. If a parent is a UK citizen though, I am sure that they can expedite a citizenship application so she can avail of the same process as the other lass

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dont you just love how these 2 try to twist their stories now.

Just lock them up and throw away the key now at this stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

paddy147 wrote: »
    Dont you just love how these 2 try to twist their stories now.

Just lock them up and throw away the key now at this stage....

Maybe torture them too? Would that give you an added thrill?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Maybe torture them too? Would that give you an added thrill?

Shave their hair off in jail........just incase they are smuggling/hiding anything else.

Are the posts about one of them accusing the other just jokes, or was it reported somewhere?

Are the posts about one of them accusing the other just jokes, or was it reported somewhere?

Jokes.

• Advertisement

All we know is that Melissa told the Daily Mail that she has agreed a plea bargain with the prosecutors where she would plead guilty to smuggling/possession (not sure which) in exchange for a leaner sentence. She also stated that this allowed her to maintain her 'we were forced in to it' line and they would not accuse her of taking money to smuggle.

We also know that Michealla has not yet stated her intention in terms of plea.

I am not sure where the 'Melissa will testify against Michealla' is coming from especially as they are sharing a cell at the moment.

The Daily mail claim Michaela is also pleading guilty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2421640/Peru-Two-Michaella-McCollum-Connolly-expected-plead-guilty-hope-year-term.html

I like the way they are publishing excerpts from Melissa's prison diary - maybe she is getting ready for a book deal after all...

The Daily mail claim Michaela is also pleading guilty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2421640/Peru-Two-Michaella-McCollum-Connolly-expected-plead-guilty-hope-year-term.html

I like the way they are publishing excerpts from Melissa's prison diary - maybe she is getting ready for a book deal after all...

More likely a couple of days .. continued article in The Daily Mail. Then they will be forgotten.
    May get £10,000 for that, roughly the same she was expecting from the dealers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Here's an episode of Banged Up Abroad where the subjects gets arrested in Peru. The first ever episode of the series shown and it's seems to be a scarily similar story to this one actually. The two girls were club promoters too and were attracted by people living a flash lifestyle.

Anyway, it may give those interested some insight about what life in prison might be like for the ''Peru Two.''

• Advertisement
Advertisement