Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

was their guilty plea rejected because they didn't supply enough evidence or some other reason and can they attempt another plea before the final trial date?

My reading of it is that they will not get the 'benefit of a guilty plea' unless there is a fuller disclosure of the facts.
    This means that they will still be sentenced on 1 oct but will not get the benefit of the shorter sentence that a guilty plea was expected to give them.

Funny thing is that last week Melissa said that she had 'done a deal' with prosecutors that would allow her to plead guilty to smuggling but maintain her claim that she was coerced in to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

MonaPizza wrote: »
    The POINT of all this is that people like you get to determine guilt regardless of circumstances and mitigation.

The point of all this is that this is a discussion forum, not a court of law. So we get to discuss and give our views of whether we think they could be guilty or innocent without prejudicing the case. And that is what we have done.

If there was a Peruvian judge giving his opinion in here I would be worried...perhaps that is your next conspiracy theory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

My reading of it is that they will not get the 'benefit of a guilty plea' unless there is a fuller disclosure of the facts.
    This means that they will still be sentenced on 1 oct but will not get the benefit of the shorter sentence that a guilty plea was expected to give them.

Funny thing is that last week Melissa said that she had 'done a deal' with prosecutors that would allow her to plead guilty to smuggling but maintain her claim that she was coerced in to it.

Yeah just heard on the news that they want them to admit that the story was made up.

Not an unreasonable thing to ask IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

castie wrote: »
    Innocent until proven guilty.
    By admitting guilt it is therefore proven and they are no longer considered innocent.

But the caveat which was attached to their guilty plea seems to wholly refute the idea of guilt. They've said, we will plead guilty for expedited sentencing but we are not guilty.
    I agree that innocent until proven guilty is a basic right. What the girls have said is, we will plead guilty although it is untrue and unproven but solely for lighter sentencing. Can you see how that would be considered an affront to basis of the judicial system? To plead guilty in court but to publicly declare innocence, its an open mockery to the Peruvian prosecutors who are obviously none too pleased with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm sick of hearing the obvious.

That says it all really. Keep that head in the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Yeah, it looks like they aren't getting a lower sentence yet.
    Their Guilty pleas' have not been fully accepted. They've been told that either they plead guilty and tell all, or stick to the Not Guilty plea.
    Peruvian authorities (Rightly so) are not accepting - "Guilty, but we didn't do it really, we're only saying we did for a lower sentence."

So it looks like the truth will have to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Fair play to the Peruvian authorities calling them out like this. It was baffling to read some of the expert opinion that a simple change in plea will get them a lighter sentence. While that may be true, it was also very very evident that they were only changing the plea to get a reduced sentence and nothing else. No remorse or anything like it, just "yeah fine ok ok wer'e guilty :rolleyes: can we go now"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

I feel sorry for the two girls. They are barely out of their teenage years, and now face spending the best parts of their lives behind bars, and some terrible experiences while there.

No doubt they are criminals (having pleaded guilty proves that) - and deserve some punishment, but this is effectively a death sentence of sorts - every morsel of their former lives is now gone.

They were stupid, caught up in the moment and probably easily influenced by whoever is really behind the smuggling operation. That person or persons is still sitting on some beach or in a yacht drinking cocktails and living off the proceeds of their crimes, and young girls or guys like these two remain the only real focus of the Law's intolerance of the drug trade, because they are the only ones who can be caught - but they are only mules - and these girls only made one huge mistake.

Everyone does something silly or really stupid at some stage in their lives, most people thankfully learn from their mistakes and don't have to face life altering consequences as a result, occasionally someone does, but people shouldn't immediately seek to condemn them outright simply because you would never have done what they did. They made their own mistakes.

They didn't murder anyone, or kill some child while driving under the influence, or punch someone outside a nightclub who later died because they hit their head on a kerb as they fell.

These girls (who 3 years ago were still kids) got involved in a world that they didn't understand - and a world which willingly destroys the lives of young people in order to make money for a select few, be it through addiction, or by using them as tools of the trade - as these girls were used.

Now it looks like the Peruvians will look to make an example of them and I hope thats not what happens - they certainly should spend some time in jail... but what they're facing isn't comparable with anything any of us could understand or even perhaps endure.

I hope that they are sent home to face their jail time of 5 or so years - which to me seems plenty for the circumstances of this case - whether they made up an excuse or not.

At least if they serve their time here - there will be some hope that with appropriate support from their family and others, that when they emerge on the other side of this ordeal, they might have some sort of life ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Key question would be if this is a standard move on the prosecutors part on the grounds that every such guilty plea is doubtless a plea of convenience.
    Like what percentage of such cases has the prosecutor initially refused the plea but then accepted it a few weeks later? 1%, 50%, 90%.

Also key is whether judges regularly overrule the prosecutor, e.g., if the judges can accept the guilty plea then it possibly doesn't matter what the prosecutors attitude is.

Obviously to get these answers would require investigation and analysis and a fair bit of legwork by the media, so not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭metroburgers

I feel sorry for the two girls. They are barely out of their teenage years, and now face spending the best parts of their lives behind bars, and some terrible experiences while there.

No doubt they are criminals (having pleaded guilty proves that) - and deserve some punishment, but this is effectively a death sentence of sorts - every morsel of their former lives is now gone.

They were stupid, caught up in the moment and probably easily influenced by whoever is really behind the smuggling operation. That person or persons is still sitting on some beach or in a yacht drinking cocktails and living off the proceeds of their crimes, and young girls or guys like these two remain the only real focus of the Law's intolerance of the drug trade, because they are the only ones who can be caught - but they are only mules - and these girls only made one huge mistake.

Everyone does something silly or really stupid at some stage in their lives, most people thankfully learn from their mistakes and don't have to face life altering consequences as a result, occasionally someone does, but people shouldn't immediately seek to condemn them outright simply because you would never have done what they did. They made their own mistakes.

They didn't murder anyone, or kill some child while driving under the influence, or punch someone outside a nightclub who later died because they hit their head on a kerb as they fell.

These girls (who 3 years ago were still kids) got involved in a world that they didn't understand - and a world which willingly destroys the lives of young people in order to make money for a select few, be it through addiction, or by using them as tools of the trade - as these girls were used.

Now it looks like the Peruvians will look to make an example of them and I hope thats not what happens - they certainly should spend some time in jail... but what they're facing isn't comparable with anything any of us could understand or even perhaps endure.

I hope that they are sent home to face their jail time of 5 or so years - which to me seems plenty for the circumstances of this case - whether they made up an excuse or not.

At least if they serve their time here - there will be some hope that with appropriate support from their family and others, that when they emerge on the other side of this ordeal, they might have some sort of life ahead of them.

Nah, opportunists, both in smuggling and changing their pleas to guilty for convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Absolutely and completely disagree with you. They did this out of pure selfishness and greed. If they had gotten away with it they would have gone back and lived a life of leisure for another few months blowing money on God knows what. They would have been the ones sitting on yachts drinking cocktails and laughing at the rest of us had they gotten away with it.

They did it, they knew it was illegal and risky, and now they are paying the price. That's life.
    There are plenty of illegal things I could do to make me rich, but I don't, because I know the consequences of getting caught are too terrible. Now maybe the next stupid girl will think twice before trying to fly back with a suitcase full of drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

They didn't murder anyone, or kill some child while driving under the influence, or punch someone outside a nightclub who later died because they hit their head on a kerb as they fell..
    That happened where I live and to put that scenario next to the other 2 or the Peru 2 is staggeringly ridiculous.
    One is an accident, the others are premeditated actions.

Here is a great article on what happens in a peru jail and how broken the system is over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Key question would be if this is a standard move on the prosecutors part on the grounds that every such guilty plea is doubtless a plea of convenience.
    Like what percentage of such cases has the prosecutor initially refused the plea but then accepted it a few weeks later? 1%, 50%, 90%.

Also key is whether judges regularly overrule the prosecutor, e.g., if the judges can accept the guilty plea then it possibly doesn't matter what the prosecutors attitude is.

Obviously to get these answers would require investigation and analysis and a fair bit of legwork by the media, so not going to happen.

AFAIK it is pretty standard. All the details that were coming out (Search back in this thread and the previous thread) in August stated early on, that i was in their best interest to plead guilty and also important to tell them everything.
    Many had pleaded guilty before, thinking they'd get a reduced sentence (After striking a 'deal' with the prosecution), only to find out that wasn't the case. They still had to back up their guilty plea with facts and evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

fair play to the peruvian authorities, they wont be told by foreign legal personnel how to run their justice system, and they are demanding the full truth. now i wonder could people contribute to the peruvian customs officers christmas party fund as opposed to the other dubious one from this island...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭metroburgers

That happened where I live and to put that scenario next to the other 2 or the Peru 2 is staggeringly ridiculous.

Accident? the punch was premeditated, and death an indirect result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I still cannot understand why the hell they don't just come clean?!

Tell the truth we already know, they offered to do it for the money... why are they protecting the bigger people behind it?!? If it was me I'd be shouting from the rooftops to try and get less time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I know when I was their age I did stupid things but smuggling drugs or even taking drugs was never one of them.

Just. Say. No.

Accident? the punch was premeditated, and death an indirect result.
    Yes, accidental result. not intended or likely or expected to kill.
    Fist fights are ugly but ultimately pretty insignificant in comparison to drink driving, murder(!!) or drug smuggling.

I did not know the people involved in the incident I mentioned, but I feel a lot of sympathy for the victim and his family (obviously) but also for the poor guy who threw the punch.

I would never say the same about someone who smuggles drugs or kills someone while drink driving, let alone murder!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Dont do the crime if you cant do the time! They knew what they were getting themslves in for, they knew the risks involved (and the rewards if they got away with it). They rolled the dice. I have no sympathy for them whatsoever, they are drug smugglers who tried to play the game and lost. Then the audacity of a 'trust fund' set up for the irish one...jaysus. Effectively "Lets help criminals pay their legal costs"...how obsurd. I'm delighted the judge hasn't taken fully their guilty pleas. Everyone in this life must account for their own actions. You make mistakes, you pay the price. You learn from these mistakes and get on with your life.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    Peruvian authorities (Rightly so) are not accepting - "Guilty, but we didn't do it really, we're only saying we did for a lower sentence."

I think it's good that the Peruvians are taking this stance. It would make a mockery of the whole system if you get a reduced sentence that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

sounds fair enough, you cannot plead guilty unless you tell us why you think you are guilty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Yes we've all done silly things e.g. drank too much at a party or night out, said things we shouldn't have to our bosses at the Christmas party, had a fling with someone and later gone "wtf was I thinking?", etc etc. There is a world of difference between those kind of silly things and trying to smuggle that much (or any really) coke out of Peru. It was beyond stupid.

As for saying they didn't murder anyone and the like well if they had gotten the coke back to Ibiza and its onward destinations who knows how many people may have died as a result of what they brought back with them. They would have been responsible/complicit in their death.

Why shouldn't the Peruvian government and justice system make an example of them? They need to show the world that this is a crime that they take seriously and want to stop. If other people see that these girls feel the full weight of the law then they might think twice about agreeing to be a mule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I know when I was their age I did stupid things but smuggling drugs or even taking drugs was never one of them.

Just. Say. No.

Yeah, the 'young people make mistakes you know' stuff is utterly ridiculous. Making a decision to smuggle kilos of class A drugs for money is a little more serious than a bad decision about a job or night out or taking something to a silly excess.

Being over there in Ibiza with no job and no money hanging around with dasterly characters is all within the remit of being young and stupid. Fine. But when you decide to move drugs cross contintents for a sum of money to stave off having to get a job well - you ****ed up to a severe extent and you deserve what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    We are not talking about cases in general. This is a very specific case and there is no reasonable doubt or evidence to the contradictory here.

The analogy with the IRA is ridiculous. For it to have even any resemblance to the Peru case, the IRA would have to go half way around the world to a young persons holiday resort and kidnap two people at gunpoint. Fly them to Ireland, put them up in a hotel for a week and give them money to go off sight seeing (on their own).

If someone had been told that their family would be killed unless they drove a car bomb somewhere and then that person was left off on their own for a few days, with a mobile phone and bumped into a policeman, do you really think that person wouldn't make any attempt to see if their family was in danger or alert the policeman to their predicament?

And why the hell do underage prostitutes who have been trafficked not run to the cops and tell of their enslavement? You seem to know an awful lot about how people behave after they've been threatened.

And why the hell do underage prostitutes who have been trafficked not run to the cops and tell of their enslavement? You seem to know an awful lot about how people behave after they've been threatened.

The underage prostitutes are younger than these two girls and so are more likely to truly be terrified.
    Often times horrific acts of cruelty have been carried out in front of them so they know the gangs aren't bluffing.
    Often times these girls are given drugs and so by virture of being addicted are dependent on the gangs.
    They truly have no where to turn.
    These two girls grew up in normal houses with normal lives with an education and the like. At no stage in any of the pictures we have seen do they look like two women who are being forced into anything. They never once looked like they were doing anything they didn't want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I feel a little for the two of them as they have obviously been receiving really bad advice from that attention seeking lawyer from the north.

And why hasn't anyone been telling them and their families to keep their mouths shut, instead of broadcasting to the world that they are only pleading guilty to get a shorter sentence maintaining that they were co-erced?

It is akin to thumbing their nose at the Peruvian justice system and is bound to annoy the prosecutors and judges.

What is worse is that now I suspect the Peruvians will see an opportunity to make an example of them, given the press interest

They should get heavily punished, but I would be uncomfortable wishing that they languish in prison until middle age. 6 or 8 years (in Peru, not the UK) would have been fair IMO. And at least give them the chance to rebuild their lives. They may have lost that opportunity now given the mismanagement of their case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

They may have lost that opportunity now given the mismanagement of their case

Absolutely. If you can plead naivety (at best) on behalf of the girls, then the actions of that attention seeking lawyer (and many more rallying around them advocating a plea of convenience / serving the sentence in the UK) have been outrageous in their stupidity.

I feel a little for the two of them as they have obviously been receiving really bad advice from that attention seeking lawyer from the north.

And why hasn't anyone been telling them and their families to keep their mouths shut, instead of broadcasting to the world that they are only pleading guilty to get a shorter sentence maintaining that they were co-erced?

It is akin to thumbing their nose at the Peruvian justice system and is bound to annoy the prosecutors and judges.

What is worse is that now I suspect the Peruvians will see an opportunity to make an example of them, given the press interest

They should get heavily punished, but I would be uncomfortable wishing that they languish in prison until middle age. 6 or 8 years (in Peru, not the UK) would have been fair IMO. And at least give them the chance to rebuild their lives. They may have lost that opportunity now given the mismanagement of their case
    good post, I agree with most of the above that solicitor from the North really has to ask a lot of questions of himself; with his gombeen low cunning tactics and how they have backfired; he used the whole thing as a publicity stunt, what happens to the appeal fund now?
    I was especially galled at how he publicly sneered at the justice system in Peru' how dare he? I doubt he will be adding this one to his CV. Overall he gave bad advice and he hadn't a clue, he was about as useful as an ice pick in the Sahara.

Obvious is the key word there. It was obvious to most people from page one in the original thread that they were guilty. The facts that have emerged since then have only backed that up. And they have pleaded guilty. No amount of abuse on this thread, no conspiracy theories that you can conjure up can take away from those facts. So why are you trying to debate this?

Look mate, you're not going to bully or browbeat me into your guilty until proven innocent, throw away the key, mindset. Trigger-happy certainly is an apt username for you.
    Their story about coercion is a stretch but that's where you and I differ. I am willing to consider it. You aren't.
    That's all I'm trying to say but you come out with the usual sneers like "conspiracy theory" or "having sympathy on her coz she's Irish" or sh1t like that to help your cause.

• Advertisement

http://www.herald.ie/news/michaella-gives-up-names-of-drug-gang-29610200.html

Surely even the biggest doubters of their guilt can't really believe that these statements were just made to get a lighter sentence?

"Each of the defendants detailed the circumstances in which they prepared and transported the drugs, as well as the contacts who coordinated the transaction with them."

Thank you. It seems now we have all the facts FINALLY.

Their story about coercion is a stretch but that's where you and I differ. I am willing to consider it. You aren't.

I think most did consider the coersion story but then came to the conclusion that it wasn't plausible.

100 Guards to 10,000 prisoners and some ticked off drug dealers, there fcuked.

You must be so joyful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Holsten wrote: »
    I still cannot understand why the hell they don't just come clean?!

Tell the truth we already know, they offered to do it for the money... why are they protecting the bigger people behind it?!? If it was me I'd be shouting from the rooftops to try and get less time.

Perhaps they allready have come clean and have been telling the truth all along. Have you considered that?

The point of all this is that this is a discussion forum, not a court of law. So we get to discuss and give our views of whether we think they could be guilty or innocent without prejudicing the case. And that is what we have done.

If there was a Peruvian judge giving his opinion in here I would be worried...perhaps that is your next conspiracy theory?

What is your fetish with accusing everyone who argues with you of holding conspiracy theories?
    I know the kind of person I'm dealing with now.

That says it all really. Keep that head in the sand.

Yeah keep cherry picking there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Fúck them, why do they deserve special treatment ?

Coz they're young and female ?

Yeah keep cherry picking there.

Stop saying ridiculous statements and I'll stop quoting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭redtapestyl

Spunge wrote: »
    Fúck them, why do they deserve special treatment ?

Coz they're young and female ?

correction :young, female and hot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

correction :young, female and hot

debatable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I don't think the Peruvians are in the least bit interested in getting the names of Mr Big or the nitty gritty of the drug smuggler's modus.

They want to nail the two girls to the mast and make them declare publicly that they were complicit the whole way down the line in the smuggling of these drugs and that will put a full stop to the next smugglers to try out that defence,then and only then will they accept their guilty plea.

If I was their lawyer I would be advising them to get rid of the Sasha motorbike jacket and don sackcloth and ashes. Make a full apology and hope that they are not the ones to be made an example of the Peruvian s justice systems wrath.

How is punching someone to the ground an accident?

How is punching someone to the ground an accident?

To save me from repeating myself: Click here

just heard that michealas former boyfriend is to make an appearance on the saturday night show with Brendan O Connor can anyone confirm this?

just heard that michealas former boyfriend is to make an appearance on the saturday night show with Brendan O Connor can anyone confirm this?

Oh please:eek: Really and truly scraping the bottom of the barrell now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

what a cnut...

the boyfriends not much better either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Thank you. Unfortunately I cannot return the complement :)

Oh please:eek: Really and truly scraping the bottom of the barrell now!!
    I know !

Imagine going on the Brendan O'Connor show ! :eek:

I know !

Imagine going on the Brendan O'Connor show ! :eek:

:):D The shame of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭meemeemee

The Boyfriend ?

or

The, um, er, ah "Holiday Romance" ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement