Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

So now it appears the Peruvian authorities have rejected their guilty plea and want to prosecute to the full extent.

Peruvian prosecutors insist Michaella McCollum and Melissa Reid must accept full responsibility for charges levelled at them.

http://news.sky.com/story/1146481/peru-drugs-pairs-guilty-pleas-rejected

Proper order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

well excuse me!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

MonaPizza wrote: »
    Look mate, you're not going to bully or browbeat me into your guilty until proven innocent, throw away the key, mindset. Trigger-happy certainly is an apt username for you.
    Their story about coercion is a stretch but that's where you and I differ. I am willing to consider it. You aren't.
    That's all I'm trying to say but you come out with the usual sneers like "conspiracy theory" or "having sympathy on her coz she's Irish" or sh1t like that to help your cause.

Where did I ever say "having sympathy on her coz she's Irish"?

As said above, I did consider the coercion story and dismissed it as nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

Wossack wrote: »
    what a cnut...

the boyfriends not much better either
    the whole tv show thing for saturday night is just a rumour i heard nothing more just wanted to know if else heard the same, it remains to be seen if it happens; I wonder what angle a former boyfriend would take on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

the whole tv show thing for saturday night is just a rumour i heard nothing more just wanted to know if else heard the same, it remains to be seen if it happens; I wonder what angle a former boyfriend would take on it

Brendan O'Connor said it himself when being interviewed by Pat Kenny yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I wonder what angle a former boyfriend would take on it

- O'conner will scrunch up his face in a questioning manner.

- the boyfriend will assure us that she is not that kind of girl & was under duress.

- Scrunch face O'Connor will nod & scrunch his face with sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

- O'conner will scrunch up his face in a questioning manner.

- the boyfriend will assure us that she is not that kind of girl & was under duress.

- Scrunch face O'Connor will nod & scrunch his face with sympathy.

Of course it won't occur to anyone that they are doing the girls no favours by continuing to push the duress line, when the girls need to distance themselves from it

Of course it won't occur to anyone that they are doing the girls no favours by continuing to push the duress line, when the girls need to distance themselves from it
    it will be interesting to see how he gets on; scrunches and all, why doesnt tubridy have them (solicitor et al) on the late late; i suppose it wouldnt be in keeping with his usual populist lilly livered agenda:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

Just out of curiosity, what would their punishment be if it could indeed be proven that they were coerced?
    I don't know what proof but maybe someone present got recordings/video of threats being made etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I think I might have a bit more sympathy for Michaella if she didn't look so unconcerned and crafty. Let's see if she's still like that in a couple of years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Just out of curiosity, what would their punishment be if it could indeed be proven that they were coerced?
    I don't know what proof but maybe someone present got recordings/video of threats being made etc.

Are you still at it?

Pug160 wrote: »
    I think I might have a bit more sympathy for Michaella if she didn't look so unconcerned and crafty. Let's she if she's still like that in a couple of years.

It looks like the two of them are getting a bit chubby round the chops too...looks like the food isnt that bad after all.

But onto your point..i know exactly what you mean...the same with the scottish one.

They seem to have this idea that they were caught smoking in the playground and they've become celebrities in the process...i'm sure Mr Nordie the solicitor has parroted them a crock of shiit and that they'll be out in the blink of an eye to book deals and clothing lines.

chopper6 wrote: »
    Are you still at it?

So that's zero input you have then, yes?

It looks like the two of them are getting a bit chubby round the chops too...looks like the food isnt that bad after all.

But onto your point..i know exactly what you mean...the same with the scottish one.

They seem to have this idea that they were caught smoking in the playground and they've become celebrities in the process...i'm sure Mr Nordie the solicitor has parroted them a crock of shiit and that they'll be out in the blink of an eye to book deals and clothing lines.

Looks like you're still at it. "chubby round the chops"? Are you the kind of person who watches a history-changing moment on TV and delivers a staggering gem of profundity regarding someone's shoes or choice of suit?

Looks like you're still at it. "chubby round the chops"? Are you the kind of person who watches a history-changing moment on TV and delivers a staggering gem of profundity regarding someone's shoes or choice of suit?

Tell me about how you think(DESPITE all the evidence to the contrary)

they were abducted at gunpoint

forced to fly through three airports

held hostage

forced to take drugs in thier luggage

followed through lima airport by a gang of armed men

pressed into involuntarily attempting to board a plane whilst carrying said drugs

Well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I wonder what angle a former boyfriend would take on it

I wonder what on earth he could possibly have to say. That is possibly the worst guest, with the most tenuous link possible to the story.
    Fcking stupid. Who picks the guests? That is the saddest of sad. :mad:
    They could bring people from thi thread on, and they'd know more than he would.

Reasons like that are a perfect example of RTE really and truly taking the absolute Píss. I'd love it if they (RTE) started to pay attention, but for now i'd settle with loving nobody watching the show.

They may possibly be granted bale, and passports confiscated. They would attend a trial, and probably be found guilty for their part (After all, they did/would have had some chances to alert authorities), a Judge would probably decide a sentence length to match their part. I'd guess they'd get a 2-3 year sentence, with time served, they'd probably be out middle of next year.

That is entirely speculation, but I'd guess they would be culpable for something.

However, if they tried to plead guilty by force, and it was proven they were forced, that's entirely different..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

They cut the daily dose of amphetamines out of their diet. Tends to add a few pounds.

daRobot wrote: »
    They cut the daily dose of amphetamines out of their diet. Tends to add a few pounds.

True...

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Brendan O'Connor said it himself when being interviewed by Pat Kenny yesterday.
    daRobot wrote: »

Was just thinking that...they must have been caning the bugle in Ibiza.

id really like to hear from the solicitor on a chat show where he would get a right good grilling (that wouldn't happen on RTE);
    why did he try and have the public believe that they were coerced/ does he think that people have minus IQs?
    and what about the cheap publicity for his legal practice?
    and the audacity of the guy to publically slag of the Peruvian justice system- playing the victim card may have got you places up the North but it totally backfired on him out there the Peruvians (quite rightly) wont be talked down upon by some jumped up guy from the North. for micheala his posturing is costing her dearly. and by the way he wont be getting the cash windfall he might have hoped from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

nice post, yeah it seems he bailed, me thinks there are some more like him in the legal profession on this island, arrogant, self righteous and utterly useless and unable to take any criticism; one only has to look elsewhere and how the rate your solicitor website was closed down talk about no free speach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

My guess is that Perry Mason made himself scarce when he saw the lack of funds rolling into his retirement fund the Peru 2 Campaign.

Shambles from start to finish. I seem to recall somewhere in this discussion being rubbished for suggesting that hiring this guy was money wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Pug160 wrote: »
    I think I might have a bit more sympathy for Michaella if she didn't look so unconcerned and crafty. Let's see if she's still like that in a couple of years.

Hard thought it may be to believe, the penny may not have dropped yet.

• Advertisement

I am pie wrote: »
    My guess is that Perry Mason made himself scarce when he saw the lack of funds rolling into his retirement fund the Peru 2 Campaign.

Shambles from start to finish. I seem to recall somewhere in this discussion being rubbished for suggesting that hiring this guy was money wasted.
    post of the thread couldn't have said it better:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Allyall wrote: »
    I wonder what on earth he could possibly have to say. That is possibly the worst guest, with the most tenuous link possible to the story.
    Fcking stupid. Who picks the guests? That is the saddest of sad. :mad:
    They could bring people from thi thread on, and they'd know more than he would.

If he is the guy she was living with in Ibiza, my guess is that his link is far from tenuous, though I am sure we will not be hearing anything like the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I think the lawyer was working off the principal like it is here that you can come up with any sob story, doesn't have to even be believable, tick a few underprivileged/parental abuse/addiction/coercion/wasn't my fault excuses and your basically free to walk. I wish I was joking.

If he is the guy she was living with in Ibiza, my guess is that his link is far from tenuous, though I am sure we will not be hearing anything like the truth.

Forgot about the guy in Ibiza. He was hardly a 'boyfriend' though, was he? They were only with each other 1 and 1/2 weeks..

Would he come on a TV show? - As i was typing, i answered myself.. Yes, he probably would..

Which one?
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5084107/michaella-mccollum-connolly-dated-cocaine-dealer.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/michaellas-ex-whatever-i-do-or-say-wont-help-get-her-home-29491886.html

Looking at the more recent pictures, is Michaella's hair turning Ginger?

id really like to hear from the solicitor on a chat show where he would get a right good grilling (that wouldn't happen on RTE);
    why did he try and have the public believe that they were coerced/ does he think that people have minus IQs?
    and the audacity of the guy to publically slag of the Peruvian justice system- playing the victim card may have got you places up the North but it totally backfired on him out there the Peruvians (quite rightly) wont be talked down upon by some jumped up guy from the North. for micheala his posturing is costing her dearly. and by the way he wont be getting the cash windfall he might have hoped from it

I predicted this early on in this thread.
    The buffoon went about it completely the wrong way..he obviously told the girls to stick to their nonsense story instead of telling them to fess up while there was still time.
    He repeated their fairy tale to the worlds media and then went on to slag off the Peruvian legal system,criticise the jail conditions and stuck his hand out looking for a few bob.

The net result of his northern machinations is that the two airheads are up the creek without a paddle and he has managed to upset the prosecutor...humility and discretion might have worked better .

• Advertisement

I think the lawyer was working off the principal like it is here that you can come up with any sob story, doesn't have to even be believable, tick a few underprivileged/parental abuse/addiction/coercion/wasn't my fault excuses and your basically free to walk. I wish I was joking.
    that tactic may well work up the North or down here; scammer tactics; well the Peruvians wont be caught out or sold a pup from a matlock wanabe, I expect others in his profession wont be to impressed by his antics either

I am pie wrote: »

It seems that he intends to go out there next week.
    BBC.co.uk wrote:
    McCollum's solicitor, Peter Madden, said: "I intend to travel to Lima next week to attend the sentencing hearing and after the sentence is handed down by the judge, it will be possible to make further comment."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24228723

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

just heard that michealas former boyfriend is to make an appearance on the saturday night show with Brendan O Connor can anyone confirm this?

Yep BOC was on Newstalk during the week and mentioned this. It's the one-eyed bodybuilding ex-gangster.

Car crash tv!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

just heard that michealas former boyfriend is to make an appearance on the saturday night show with Brendan O Connor can anyone confirm this?

Oh Good Lord, what ****ing moron thought that that would be a good use of broadcasting law money?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It seems that he intends to go out there next week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24228723

Having been able to do exactly nothing...I'm sure he'll have plenty to 'Comment' on once they've both been given 10+ years in chokey.

Yep BOC was on Newstalk during the week and mentioned this. It's the one-eyed bodybuilding ex-gangster.

Car crash tv!
    Shane Knowles?

He was Melissa Reid's scumbag Boyfriend.

Allyall wrote: »
    Shane Knowles?

He was Melissa Reid's scumbag Boyfriend.

How many boyfriends did she have in the 6 weeks she was out there?
    There was the son of the bar owner, the fella she was pictured with on the beach and this lad.
    Long term relationships, I am sure he will be able to give a detailed insight to her life in Ibiza.
    Of course, given that the tabloids have implicated him in drug dealing in Ibiza he will be able to give a full and frank and impartial view of events.

WTF?!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

At this stage, I wouldn't be surprised if they perjure themselves at the next hearing! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

The car crash TV might even make it worth watching.... Not that Brendan O'Carroll, sorry, O'connor, will ask any questions worth listening to the answers...

How did that ****in muppet ever get near a prime time chat show?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭redtapestyl

The car crash TV might even make it worth watching.... Not that Brendan O'Carroll, sorry, O'connor, will ask any questions worth listening to the answers...

once you get your foot in the door in rte, you're set for life regardless of how little talent you possess. Ryan Tubridy started off with the sat night slot on rte now he's filling the boots of Pat Kenny, Gerry Ryan and Gay Byrne in shows on tv and radio

• Advertisement

The car crash TV might even make it worth watching....
    It won't, and if you watch it, you're promoting shít TV from RTE for a long time.
    I won't hold you personally responsible ;), but if people can withstand from watching shít because it's churned out TV will be a lot better.
    once you get your foot in the door in rte, you're set for life regardless of how little talent you possess. Ryan Tubridy started off with the sat night slot on rte now he's filling the boots of Pat Kenny, Gerry Ryan and Gay Byrne in shows on tv and radio

Ryan took his seat from promoting misery. He got it because of who his connections are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Is that Brendan O'Carroll of 'the Mammy' fame? Surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

It will really make me angry if RTE finish with the 'poor girls, lets hope they get home soon' line, which I suspect they will. They are drug mules and need to take their punishment (albeit I hope it is proportionate).

just saw michaela on bbc news the knacker walk/look wont do her any good and is most annoying

just saw michaela on bbc news the knacker walk/look wont do her any good and is most annoying

That poxy hairstyle...imagine trying to look inconspicuous in an airport with a micky mouse hat on...what an utter brandead chav.

That poxy hairstyle...imagine trying to look inconspicuous in an airport with a micky mouse hat on...what an utter brandead chav.
    there seems to be a lot like them on these islands, hence the replusion towards her (michaela) when she got caught; its like there you go ya knacker you got your come upings and no matlock impersonator is gonna get you off

there seems to be a lot like them on these islands, hence the replusion towards her (michaela) when she got caught; its like there you go ya knacker you got your come upings and no matlock impersonator is gonna get you off

There was also an element of "I didnt do anything wrong...I'm Irish I'll get away with this...we'll spin the Dagos a yarn and they'll believe it".

Not a trace of remorse or humility from either them or that Nordie Jowlbag ambulance-chaser.

It's almost as if smuggling kilos of Class A drugs is all a bit of a laugh for them.

"Nordie Jowlbag ambulance-chaserNordie Jowlbag ambulance-chaser" spot on

It will really make me angry if RTE finish with the 'poor girls, lets hope they get home soon' line, which I suspect they will. They are drug mules and need to take their punishment (albeit I hope it is proportionate).

I will be spittin if they make an appeal for donations to the fund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Just to save me reading through 130 pages on this,
    but what did the solicitor say about the Peruvian justice system, to publicly slag it off?

If he did, it seems like a very stupid approach to take.
    If you go to their country, you play by their rules

Advertisement