Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Smart having a laugh at others misery, id love to see you do the same in front of her brothers Keith and Ryan

This is not the school playground. Grow up and cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

so you have never taken a risk that could end badly then

You have an interesting definition of 'taking a risk'!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

so you have never taken a risk that could end badly then
    Not a risk of that magnitude or seriousness.

The punishment is not disproportionate to the crime/risk taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭collidgedosser

This is not the school playground. Grow up and cop on.

Ya its definitely not the play ground ya innocent boy, and you telling me to grow up after you posting that sh*te for a laugh is a bit rich

Ya its definitely not the play ground ya innocent boy, and you telling me to grow up after you posting that sh*te for a laugh is a bit rich

Those links are only funny because the vast majority of the comments in there are questioning the sanity of having a fund to aid drug runners.

If you have an issue with those links then you need to respond to the comments on the fund page for the girls and FB page, not attack me for posting the links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You must be joking right, conditions are appalling and access to the very basic facilities is limited, there were two americans girls, nearly identical case, over there who never had a shower or bath for there entire sentence. They stayed in same jail as michaella. Prisoners have buy there own food and other basic necessities, medical care is very limited, if you get ill and its serious they leave you waiting for days before u see an doctor in hospital, and to top it off females are regularily raped in prison over there. Dont think you have these worries in a spanish or Irish prison
    Why do people keep going back to that episode?
    You do realise that in many south american systems the running of the jail is left up to the prisoners, and the leader is decided by violence (using firearms and grenades). The one positive aspect of foreign jails is the prisoners have more freedoms inside such as discos with there wives on sundays and such. But everything else can only be described as nightmarish. Have you seen any of those ****ty ross kemp type programs, 30 to a cell built for 5 or 6! Its inhumane and a serious health risk

Did you read what you wrote? Honestly?

I suggest that you stop dossing in collidge and study.

so, to reiterate,
    A load of prisoners in jail are given Grenades and firearms (to decide who becomes leader, not to break out with), and then once the leader is decided they have discos with their wives on Sundays (and such).
    Everything else is nightmare(ish).

Is that correct?

Banged up/Locked up abroad was never that fantasist, even though most of it was made up and overdramatised

Allyall wrote: »
    Why do people keep going back to that episode?

Did you read what you wrote? Honestly?

I suggest that you stop dossing in collidge and study.

so, to reiterate,
    A load of prisoners in jail are given Grenades and firearms (to decide who becomes leader, not to break out with), and then once the leader is decided they have discos with their wives on Sundays (and such).
    Everything else is nightmare(ish).

Is that correct?

Banged up/Locked up abroad was never that fantasist, even though most of it was made up and overdramatised

Sounds like Penitenciaría Federal de Sona rather then the 'drinking coffee making phone calls under a parasol' description we had from the priest earlier this week.
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/peru-drug-arrests-dungannons-michaella-mccollum-connolly-under-parasol-drinking-coffee-and-making-phone-calls-29624818.html

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

What sort of tomfoolery? Dont think its a fooling around kind of issue is it! That site is there to help her family as much as it is Michaella. Her family are decent people and as you can imagine (or maybe not) this has been hell for them. So if ya dont want to donate why dont ya go troll someone or whatever it is you do. Wise up ya clown

tomfoolery-well most peolpe dont believe their story maybe you do-thanks trigger happy for the links; plus not good to start calling people names a bit childish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,200 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the vast majority of the comments in there are questioning the sanity of having a fund to aid drug runners.
    yet the same people probably drink and smoke but claim their "anti-drugs" and are outraged over these 2 girls, all the while, they probably drink and smoke, funny old world

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

yet the same people probably drink and smoke but claim their "anti-drugs" and are outraged over these 2 girls, all the while, they probably drink and smoke, funny old world

I get what it is you're saying.
    but..

I don't think people always have an issue with the drug side of things, nor are they always 'anti-drugs'.
    I think it's mostly the stupidity side, and the fact that they have their hand out asking us would we mind paying for their stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

be more on your line to go learning your lessons:D

Sounds like Penitenciaría Federal de Sona rather then the 'drinking coffee making phone calls under a parasol' description we had from the priest earlier this week.
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/peru-drug-arrests-dungannons-michaella-mccollum-connolly-under-parasol-drinking-coffee-and-making-phone-calls-29624818.html

Why dont you look up the places they were being held before yesterday, when the peruvian government realised that the world was look at them

tomfoolery-well most peolpe dont believe their story maybe you do-thanks trigger happy for the links; plus not good to start calling people names a bit childish
    What story they plead guilty? and what about her 3 brothers and sister who are reading this? Put yourself in their shoes, they didnt ask for any of this and the stupid crap people are putting up on the internet is bothering them like it would anybody. In the end of the day she is a naive 19 year old girl, who was influenced by unscrupulous individuals. The harsh comments are more like what you would expect to hear about a murderer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Why dont you look up the places they were being held before yesterday, when the peruvian government realised that the world was look at them

The peruvian Govt doesnt care who's "look at them"...they have thier own judicial system and their own due process.

The drug smuggling idiots havnt been treated badly an they will get thier just deserts according to the laws of the land.

If indeed the whole world is "look at them" then they should make an example of these two fools to serve as a deterent to any other brainless party animals who might be tempted to try the same thing.

chopper6 wrote: »
    The peruvian Govt doesnt care who's "look at them"...they have thier own judicial system and their own due process.

The drug smuggling idiots havnt been treated badly an they will get thier just deserts according to the laws of the land.

If indeed the whole world is "look at them" then they should make an example of these two fools to serve as a deterent to any other brainless party animals who might be tempted to try the same thing.

So your going to add to the sentence imposed on her family also with your comments. just because you have a mouth or fingers to type doesnt mean you have to make comments on the internet that everybody can see. would you actually say this stuff when her poor mother or angry brothers were standing beside you. If the topic is of interest to you fair enough dont put it on the main public board of the country, go discuss it with your friends, if your lacking in that dept go become a mindless party animal for a while and you might meet more people to share your harsh views that are perfectly obvious already without saying them over and over

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

What story they plead guilty? and what about her 3 brothers and sister who are reading this? Put yourself in their shoes, they didnt ask for any of this and the stupid crap people are putting up on the internet is bothering them like it would anybody. In the end of the day she is a naive 19 year old girl, who was influenced by unscrupulous individuals. The harsh comments are more like what you would expect to hear about a murderer.

Yes, if I had a sister like that I'd be very pissed off.

no they shouldn't make an example of them, it would be a waste of time and money for no benefit, this won't serve as a deterrent for nobody as their is no deterrent to drug smuggling and never will be, even the death penalty doesn't work as drug smuggling to countries that have it is still rather high

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Yes, if I had a sister like that I'd be very pissed off.

me too btw i would be very annoyed with her indeed, but i would still want her to be home and safe and I really wouldnt want d*ckheads laughing and smirking at my families attempt to raise money to help make her safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

no they shouldn't make an example of them, it would be a waste of time and money for no benefit, this won't serve as a deterrent for nobody as their is no deterrent to drug smuggling and never will be, even the death penalty doesn't work as drug smuggling to countries that have it is still rather high

http://youtu.be/nPun1wh-II0

Tried to embed, can't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The world could give to flying flucks that 2 girls were caught smuggling cocaine. Not even the irish embassy in the region is overly concerned.

Caught red handed. Do the time.

Do you know i think you may well be wrong there...i would imagine there's several thousand Wide-boys and the equivilent number of females in the UK and ireland watching this case who maybe,just maybe considered doing a similar drug run.

If they end of getting out after a year or two people might weigh the risks versus the rewards and decide to go for it...if they get a long sentence it might,just might decide the game isn't worth the candle.

I,ahem.,"know" of several people who've brought a bit of hash back from amsterdam,a bit of green from the UK or a few knuckledusters from here or there but not ONE person i know would even get on an internal flight in thailand(for example) with enough for a joint anywhere on thier person.

If a country is known to deal harshly with drugs people will either not do it,choose somewhere else or get more inventive....either way only a fool would pack cocaine into bags in a suitcase and try to leave lima airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

You must be joking right, conditions are appalling and access to the very basic facilities is limited, there were two americans girls, nearly identical case, over there who never had a shower or bath for there entire sentence. They stayed in same jail as michaella. Prisoners have buy there own food and other basic necessities, medical care is very limited, if you get ill and its serious they leave you waiting for days before u see an doctor in hospital, and to top it off females are regularily raped in prison over there. Dont think you have these worries in a spanish or Irish prison

My point was that for all of the giving out and worrying about the inhumane conditions in prisons in South America people only give a damn now that two European women are being held there.
    The state of these prisons isn't exactly new news to people but its only now that "one of our own" is there that anyone gives a damn.
    Human rights are human rights and if they're worth giving a damn about now then they should be for everyone affected by the situation not just two European women who tried to get rich quick and failed.

So your going to add to the sentence imposed on her family also with your comments. just because you have a mouth or fingers to type doesnt mean you have to make comments on the internet that everybody can see. would you actually say this stuff when her poor mother or angry brothers were standing beside you. If the topic is of interest to you fair enough dont put it on the main public board of the country, go discuss it with your friends, if your lacking in that dept go become a mindless party animal for a while and you might meet more people to share your harsh views that are perfectly obvious already without saying them over and over

I would recommend them to stay out of After Hours if they are looking for consolation. Wrong forum.

me too btw i would be very annoyed with her indeed, but i would still want her to be home and safe and I really wouldnt want d*ckheads laughing and smirking at my families attempt to raise money to help make her safe.

It is by her own attempts to apparently use the Family as an emotional tool [forced by men with guns and threatened my Family] to 'cover up' which would really p1ss me off... maybe you and the Family could consider this before projecting disgust elsewhere... as I've said before, the real crime is the consistent insulting of human intelligence.

It is by her own attempts to apparently use the Family as an emotional tool [forced by men with guns and threatened my Family] to 'cover up' which would really p1ss me off... maybe you and the Family could consider this before projecting disgust elsewhere... as I've said before, the real crime is the consistent insulting of human intelligence.

Well thats just a pile of drivel, what are you actually talking about

• Advertisement

Well thats just a pile of drivel, what are you actually talking about

She claimed she did it because they were frightened the made up gunmen would attack her family.

Come on, keep up.

I am pie wrote: »
    She claimed she did it because they were frightened the made up gunmen would attack her family.

Come on, keep up.

Ok I dont see how thats an emotional tool though? more like a position people take when they kill someone or are forced to walk out of the bank they work in with millions.

Ok I dont see how thats an emotional tool though? more like a position people take when they kill someone or are forced to walk out of the bank they work in with millions.

Or when they are caught trying to illegally take drugs out of the Country.
    They used their family as an emotional tool, to try and gain some sympathy from the law enforcement agencies involved with detaining them.

Allyall wrote: »
    Or when they are caught trying to illegally take drugs out of the Country.
    They used their family as an emotional tool, to try and gain some sympathy from the law enforcement agencies involved with detaining them.

The scottish one even suggested in a letter that somebody should "petition Gordon Browne" on thier behalf.

They've shown no trace of remorse or guilt and have been doing nothing but attempting to save thier own skins.

Why are you posting here? Better off posting on the fund raising pages lambasting those whose comments you do not like on there?

Just because you do not like the comments on here does not make them wrong and people are entitled to an opinion.

Now if you want to debate the case you are in the right place.
    If you want us to stop posting our opinions then you are in the wrong place.
    If you feel any comments on here have broken any rules then report them.

• Advertisement

The scottish one even suggested in a letter that somebody should "petition Gordon Browne" on thier behalf.

They've shown no trace of remorse or guilt and have been doing nothing but attempting to save thier own skins.

Jesus the human condition of self preservation is shocking...
    Fair enough Gordon Brown was a bit far, she should have realised that he wouldnt go near her, again highlighting her naivety

Jesus the human condition of self preservation is shocking...
    Fair enough Gordon Brown was a bit far, she should have realised that he wouldnt go near her, again highlighting her naivety

Or arrogance...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

There are statements today from the Irish priest who has been visiting them that the prison that they are currently in is a state of the art facility and the conditions are excellent. He said he saw them in a open court yard having some coffee and talking to their families back home on mobile phones. You'd get worse conditions in Mountjoy for god sake :rolleyes:
    Fr Foley described the women's condition as "brilliant". "Very, very well," he added. He said McCollum Connolly, from Co Tyrone and Reid, from Scotland, were not in a cell but at a table in a wide open yard. "As well as that, they had telephone communication and they could use it for calling home. I thought they were in great form actually," Fr Foley said.

You're spouting some amount of ****e.

Bogota wrote: »
    There are statements today from the Irish priest who has been visiting them that the prison that they are currently in is a state of the art facility and the conditions are excellent. He said he saw them in a open court yard having some coffee and talking to their families back home on mobile phones. You'd get worse conditions in Mountjoy for god sake :rolleyes:

You're spouting some amount of ****e.

Spouting ****e eh ? Why dont you look at the conditions of the notorious prisons they were in before yesterday, before you run your ill informed mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Spouting ****e eh ? Why dont you look at the conditions of the notorious prisons they were in before yesterday, before you run your ill informed mouth

So you expect an outpouring of sympathy and "respect" for 2 girls who were caught red-handed with a significant amount of illegal drugs, who have changed their story on several occasions so far, have shown no remorse or respect for the justice system or intelligence of the people of the country they were caught in, and who apparently are actually "grand" sipping coffee and chattin on their phones?!

What exactly do you expect here? Everyone to realise the "error of their ways" and have a group hug and start contributing to these two "get home fund"?

You really don't get how life, let alone the Internet, works I think!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    So you expect an outpouring of sympathy and "respect" for 2 girls who were caught red-handed with a significant amount of illegal drugs, who have changed their story on several occasions so far, have shown no remorse or respect for the justice system or intelligence of the people of the country they were caught in, and who apparently are actually "grand" sipping coffee and chattin on their phones?!

What exactly do you expect here? Everyone to realise the "error of their ways" and have a group hug and start contributing to these two "get home fund"?

You really don't get how life, let alone the Internet, works I think!

I never asked anybody for respect! I first posted here today because i saw some clown posting links to her fund raising page and writing smart comments and laughing at the amount she had raised and just say nasty things like spoilt little **** teenagers would say, all i ask/ed was for people keep these comments off the internet,I dont care what you think of her. she has brothers and sister who are reading the comments and I see her brother giving out about the shi te people are writing everywhere and its totally unnecessary.
    Would you really say these things about her if her family were in earshot? Because they are reading this **** the whole time! So maybe its yourself who doesnt know how the internet works or effects people?

I never asked anybody for respect! I first posted here today because i saw some clown posting links to her fund raising page and writing smart comments and laughing at the amount she had raised and just say nasty things like spoilt little **** teenagers would say, all i ask/ed was for people keep these comments off the internet,I dont care what you think of her. she has brothers and sister who are reading the comments and I see her brother giving out about the shi te people are writing everywhere and its totally unnecessary.
    Would you really say these things about her if her family were in earshot? Because they are reading this **** the whole time! So maybe its yourself who doesnt know how the internet works or effects people?

Ah you're not about to pull out the "bullying" card here are you?
    While yes there are genuine cases of people being bullied online (usually kids who haven't the ability to deal with it), this is a case of two legal adults who were caught trying to smuggle a load of illegal drugs through an airport and who then have (one way or another) tried to sell a pack of lies as a defence.

While I feel some compassion for their families, the idea that everyone else should just say nothing or only nice things about them is farcical.

I am wondering if you have some sort of direct connection to these 2 or the family though as I genuinely can't understand your attitude or outrage to what are perfectly reasonable and understandable comments (in most cases!) by people who this sort of behaviour doesn't "sit well" with.

Perhaps the 2 girls should have thought about the impact their actions would have on their families and friends before they tried to bluff their way through an airport with bags full of drugs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Ah you're not about to pull out the "bullying" card here are you?
    While yes there are genuine cases of people being bullied online (usually kids who haven't the ability to deal with it), this is a case of two legal adults who were caught trying to smuggle a load of illegal drugs through an airport and who then have (one way or another) tried to sell a pack of lies as a defence.

While I feel some compassion for their families, the idea that everyone else should just say nothing or only nice things about them is farcical.

I am wondering if you have some sort of direct connection to these 2 or the family though as I genuinely can't understand your attitude or outrage to what are perfectly reasonable and understandable comments (in most cases!) by people who this sort of behaviour doesn't "sit well" with.

Perhaps the 2 girls should have thought about the impact their actions would have on their families and friends before they tried to bluff their way through an airport with bags full of drugs!

I never said anything about bullying, the comments that I responded too were not reasonable http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86822893&postcount=2037 others were a lot worse and more snide .Cocaine does not sit well with me or her family and I think thats its obvious that they shouldnt have done it.
    Main thing wanted is her home safe! and i really cant understand they way some people would actually want or be glad to see her locked up and not want to see a young person from their own small country be able to get home. Im left wondering what sort of people write these comments and ive come to the conclusion that they are sad loner freaks sat behind a pc screen all day like the weirdo in the warcraft southpark episode
    Heaven forbid should any of yer siblings get in a mess!

Whats that then?

• Advertisement

For a man with 2,175 posts since last march I doubt you would ever be outside to meet her family! You must actually have something to say about everything, do you realise you write about 12 posts a day! every single day. and thats just this website! Anyways they even have internet on public transport this weather so you can bring your laptop with you on your way up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I never said anything about bullying, the comments that I responded too were not reasonable http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86822893&postcount=2037 others were a lot worse and more snide .Cocaine does not sit well with me or her family and I think thats its obvious that they shouldnt have done it.
    Main thing wanted is her home safe! and i really cant understand they way some people would actually want or be glad to see her locked up and not want to see a young person from their own small country be able to get home. Im left wondering what sort of people write these comments and ive come to the conclusion that they are sad loner freaks sat behind a pc screen all day like the weirdo in the warcraft southpark episode
    Heaven forbid should any of yer siblings get in a mess!

You just want them home safe? After they were smuggling drugs? Does this go for everyone in jail overseas for drug smuggling, or just them? I strongly figure you're a friend of the family here

Do you know i think you may well be wrong there...i would imagine there's several thousand Wide-boys and the equivilent number of females in the UK and ireland watching this case who maybe,just maybe considered doing a similar drug run.
    and? if their the type to do it they will
    If they end of getting out after a year or two people might weigh the risks versus the rewards and decide to go for it...
    very doubtful, as i said if their the type to go to these countries to smuggle drugs they will.
    if they get a long sentence it might,just might decide the game isn't worth the candle.
    doubt it
    I,ahem.,"know" of several people who've brought a bit of hash back from amsterdam,a bit of green from the UK or a few knuckledusters from here or there but not ONE person i know would even get on an internal flight in thailand(for example) with enough for a joint anywhere on thier person.
    they wouldn't do that anyway as its a foreign country, much easier to go between britain and ireland as one will know what to expect.
    If a country is known to deal harshly with drugs people will either not do it,choose somewhere else or get more inventive....either way only a fool would pack cocaine into bags in a suitcase and try to leave lima airport.
    its not the punishment thats the factor here, its the fact one can end up away from home in a foreign country for years with very little chance of seeing their family and so on, its not the amount of years or the chance of the death penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I've posted on this thread way at the beginning when my thoughts were the silly silly eejits. Young silly girls/eejits.
    Very sad. Very silly. They've ruined their lives.

Anyway here are my thoughts on more recent happenings:

If these girls are out for Christmas* they will be able to write a book and make millions from it "How to attempt to smuggle drugs out of Peru and get away lightly**"

*This is not going to happen
    ** This book will never exist

Silly silly girls :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

i really cant understand they way some people would actually want or be glad to see her locked up and not want to see a young person from their own small country be able to get home.

I assume you are regularly petitioning to get all Irish drug smugglers back to Ireland then?

Smart having a laugh at others misery, id love to see you do the same in front of her brothers Keith and Ryan
    Would you really say these things about her if her family were in earshot?
    Because they are reading this **** the whole time! So maybe its yourself who doesnt know how the internet works or effects people?
    For a man with 2,175 posts since last march I doubt you would ever be outside to meet her family! You must actually have something to say about everything, do you realise you write about 12 posts a day! every single day. and thats just this website! Anyways they even have internet on public transport this weather so you can bring your laptop with you on your way up north.

What are you insinuating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

whats that supposed to mean

You were quick with the edit there Fred Swanson why dont you explain what you had originally posted? be a big man now and say it dont back down like you wouldnt back down from telling her family what you think of her

• Advertisement

whats that supposed to mean

It's fairly obvious really... he (and most people) have no time for drug users or the people who smuggle them.

Why don't you declare your interest in this? Are you related to one of these girls or otherwise connected to them/their family?

Advertisement