Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I never said anything about bullying, the comments that I responded too were not reasonable http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86822893&postcount=2037 others were a lot worse and more snide .Cocaine does not sit well with me or her family and I think thats its obvious that they shouldnt have done it.
    Main thing wanted is her home safe! and i really cant understand they way some people would actually want or be glad to see her locked up and not want to see a young person from their own small country be able to get home. Im left wondering what sort of people write these comments and ive come to the conclusion that they are sad loner freaks sat behind a pc screen all day like the weirdo in the warcraft southpark episode
    Heaven forbid should any of yer siblings get in a mess!
    The fact that she is from our own small country doesn't sway my feelings at all, I'd feel the same if she was, lets say......Scottish. Ooh ops there is a Scottish girl involved in the exact same situation and I think the same things of her and her carry on as the Irish girl.
    Nationality has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Collidgedosser, you have not answered the questions put to you as to whether you want all Irish drug smugglers in prison overseas brought home....

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious really... he (and most people) have no time for drug users or the people who smuggle them.

Why don't you declare your interest in this? Are you related to one of these girls or otherwise connected to them/their family?

Well...he/she has just told everyone the names of the Irish girls brothers...and...stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Maybe Collidgedosser thinks all criminals should be let out of prison to go home to their families?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭collidgedosser

What are you insinuating?

What are you insinuating ? Highlighting small bits of large text. you rotten spin doctor weasel rat you.
    My main points are that the people who are writing **** on this forum for a little bit of entertainment are causing grief decent people and thats unneccessary!
    And that these same people wouldnt never say this stuff in front of these people, and the reason they wouldnt be saying this is because of the decency within these posters not to cause upset to other ordinary people.
    And my final point is that there are people on this website that clearly need to get the **** out from behind the computer and go live life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Serious question here.

They have already gone to court, and have pleaded guilty. They are now in the process of deciding the length of the sentence, depending on the amount of information the girls give/have given.

Whatever information the girls gave the court last night, there will be a 6 month investigation.
    If they are telling the truth, then it's possible they will be sent back to the UK to finish their sentences there.
    If they are suspected of lying, then their statements will be (presumably) investigated with a fine tooth comb. Delaying their release, and possible move back to the UK.
    So it would be in their best interest to tell the truth, and get it over with.

My question is, What is the fundraising for?

Are they planning on trying to escape the minimum security prison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Things are getting a little too heated and personal here. Calm it down.

What are you insinuating ? Highlighting small bits of large text. you rotten spin doctor weasel rat you.
    My main points are that the people who are writing **** on this forum for a little bit of entertainment are causing grief decent people and thats unneccessary!
    And that these same people wouldnt never say this stuff in front of these people, and the reason they wouldnt be saying this is because of the decency within these posters not to cause upset to other ordinary people.
    And my final point is that there are people on this website that clearly need to get the **** out from behind the computer and go live life

You're still choosing to ignore the question....

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

collidge dosser must come clean here are you related to or are friends with Michaela? you've come on here and tried to defend the indefensible and looked like a right clown as you would say.

You were most surely insinuating something in those three comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Allyall wrote: »
    Serious queston here.

They have already gone to court, and have pleaded guilty. They are now in the process of deciding the length of the sentence, depending on the amount of information the girls give/have given.

Whatever information the girls gave the court last night, there will be a 6 month investigation.
    If they are telling the truth, then it's possible they will be sent back to the UK to finish their sentences there.
    If they are suspected of lying, then their statements will be (presumably) investigated with a fine tooth comb. Delaying their release, and possible move back to the UK.
    So it would be in their best interest to tell the truth, and get it over with.

My question is, What is the fundraising for?

Are they planning on trying to escape the minimum security prison?

From this point up to their eventual release there is going to be legal fees. So I guess it is to cover that.
    As I said earlier in this thread, if the fund was for the family to get over for visits I would probably donate....but now that friends of her brother are trying to stop all comment on the case....

Maybe Collidgedosser thinks all criminals should be let out of prison to go home to their families?

The state needs a serious overhaul of its entire criminal justice system, laws sentencing and infrastructure. Firstly and unrelated you would work for welfare payments. Then Id start by building another 4,000 prison spaces so we have space for them, then we start changing the law, which i wont get into because i admittedly know little about, but its obvious longer sentences are needed.

The gardai might have to toughen up on scumbags like this guy
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cbb_1379197655

But maybe go softer on others

You were most surely insinuating something in those three comments.

your most surely looking for some scandal or gossip, work for any of the **** rag news papers, independent included

collidge dosser must come clean here are you related to or are friends with Michaela? you've come on here and tried to defend the indefensible and looked like a right clown as you would say.

I am not defending anybody, Once again I shall repeat myself in case it wasnt clear the last 5 times. I do not condone or promote anything to do with drugs.
    I am not defending her actions.
    I am saying that the comments written her are hurtful to her family and i asked you to stop.
    I also expressed my dismay at how other Irish people could not want to see a young person from their own country not to return from that situation if they could get out of it. Thats it!

your most surely looking for some scandal or gossip, work for any of the **** rag news papers, independent included

...didn't have to look...you brought it right here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The gardai might have to toughen up on scumbags like this guy
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cbb_1379197655

But maybe go softer on others

Go softer on drug smugglers and pushers perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I am not defending anybody, Once again I shall repeat myself in case it wasnt clear the last 5 times. I do not condone or promote anything to do with drugs.
    I am not defending her actions.
    I am saying that the comments written her are hurtful to her family and i asked you to stop.
    I also expressed my dismay at how other Irish people could not want to see a young person from their own country not to return from that situation if they could get out of it. Thats it!

Once last try...

Are you related to either of these girls or otherwise connected to their families?

You've avoided this question from me and others several times now so I can only assume you are, in which case your reaction is predictable, and maybe even understandable.. if a bit over the top.

However, if I'm right, I would suggest you take your anger and frustration out on your relative/friend for the mess and heartache they've caused the rest of you by their actions rather than trying to persuade people here that they deserve some sort of sympathy

...didn't have to look...you brought it right here.

The only scandal going on here is the disgust remarks people are leaving, everything else is taking place in your overactive imagination! I cant actually believe that you went and highlighted tiny bits of text from posts written far apart. Charming! What do you do for a living?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,200 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You just want them home safe? After they were smuggling drugs? Does this go for everyone in jail overseas for drug smuggling, or just them?

nothing wrong with wanting them home safe, at the end of the day they were smuggling substences that people want, that theirs a demand for, now they wouldn't be for me or you but people want them like it or not and as they are illegal it means unscroopuless people operating the trade, i don't know about you but as i drink myself i can't really get on a high horse about other recreational drugs and their users illegal or not as after all alcohol is a drug

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

The only scandal going on here is the disgust remarks people are leaving, everything else is taking place in your overactive imagination! I cant actually believe that you went and highlighted tiny bits of text from posts written far apart. Charming! What do you do for a living?

They were far from tiny and showed consistency...are you just a little p1ssed with yourself for blabbing her brothers names on the internet or something?

• Advertisement

nothing wrong with wanting them home safe, at the end of the day they were smuggling substences that people want, that theirs a demand for, now they wouldn't be for me or you but people want them like it or not and as they are illegal it means unscroopuless people operating the trade, i don't know about you but as i drink myself i can't really get on a high horse about other recreational drugs and their users illegal or not as after all alcohol is a drug

Don't get me wrong....I want them home safe in the end. But I also thing it appropriate that they serve a decent jail term in Peru as cocaine smugglers.

Go softer on drug smugglers and pushers perhaps?

Actually I would be more along the train of thought of giving the top members of the gardai super extraordinary powers after consultation with the government to simply arrest the very top level criminals and simply put them in jail for the rest of their lives without ever seeing the inside of a court room. Put all (or most) files of evidence or reason for suspicion of their activities on public display and allow for a public petition system for release or a trial of the individual, say 100,000 signatures.
    Or we could just ask the ARW to pay them a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,200 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It's fairly obvious really... he (and most people) have no time for drug users or the people who smuggle them.
    even though said people technically are a drug user themselves (alcohol, and yes i like alcohol to but i'm not stupid to think ah shur alcohol is grand but oh i'm so anti-drugs)

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

I never said anything about bullying, the comments that I responded too were not reasonable http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86822893&postcount=2037 others were a lot worse and more snide .Cocaine does not sit well with me or her family and I think thats its obvious that they shouldnt have done it.
    Main thing wanted is her home safe! and i really cant understand they way some people would actually want or be glad to see her locked up and not want to see a young person from their own small country be able to get home. Im left wondering what sort of people write these comments and ive come to the conclusion that they are sad loner freaks sat behind a pc screen all day like the weirdo in the warcraft southpark episode
    Heaven forbid should any of yer siblings get in a mess!

So you want to see her home 'safe'?? Does that mean you want her immediately released from Peruvian custody and brought back to Dungannon. She has committed a crime and thus should pay the consequences, it's simple. Unless of course your holier than thou attitude condones the idea of criminals (self confessed) not seeing any prison time for the crimes they commit. If this is what you want you have a very skewed view of the world, between that and not wanting people to post opinions or comments on the internet you seem to be quite far removed from reality.

She broke the law in Peru. Why should she get to serve time in Ireland when the crime was committed on Peruvian soil?

Also not sure why I should sympathise with her simply because she happens to be the same nationality as me. I don't sympathise with any drug smugglers, no matter where they happened to be born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

So you want to see her home 'safe'?? Does that mean you want her immediately released from Peruvian custody and brought back to Dungannon. She has committed a crime and thus should pay the consequences, it's simple. Unless of course your holier than thou attitude condones the idea of criminals (self confessed) not seeing any prison time for the crimes they commit. If this is what you want you have a very skewed view of the world, between that and not wanting people to post opinions or comments on the internet you seem to be quite far removed from reality.

I know full well she is going to serve time but i wouldnt wish it on any young Irish kid for a crime like carrying drugs, that said Im aware drugs cause damage and we have to stop the trafficking, (mule is hardly the person truly responsible for the importation). Had they been older I may feel less sympathy.
    Im not trying to be an internet dictator and stop free speech or constructive dialogue but the quality of the posts at the end of the thread that i saw today were the lowest of the low, they were sniggering at the fundraiser, laughing at the amount raised, and copying nasty comments from the fundraiser pages left by rotten trolls. Its funny you say that im removed from reality when I have spent an entire evening explaining to people that there comments in cyberworld have an effect on real live people in reality!

I believe that the british government had introduced internment for a few years alright, which is pretty much the same idea except i would suggest tighter controls on its implementation and a possibility for release should the people wish for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

@Fred Swanson so are you going to repeat that comment that you edited earlier?

Whos that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

I know full well she is going to serve time but i wouldnt wish it on any young Irish kid for a crime like carrying drugs, that said Im aware drugs cause damage and we have to stop the trafficking, (mule is hardly the person truly responsible for the importation). Had they been older I may feel less sympathy.
    Im not trying to be an internet dictator and stop free speech or constructive dialogue but the quality of the posts at the end of the thread that i saw today were the lowest of the low, they were sniggering at the fundraiser, laughing at the amount raised, and copying nasty comments from the fundraiser pages left by rotten trolls. Its funny you say that im removed from reality when I have spent an entire evening explaining to people that there comments in cyberworld have an effect on real live people in reality!

Why should an Irish drug smuggler get preferential treatment over mules of other nationalities? Are you only making a case for the Irish girl whilst the Scot can rot? What about similarly aged smugglers from various nations awaiting death sentences in other parts of the world? I feel extremely sorry for the Reid and McCollum/Connolly families for having idiot daughters and that's the limit of my sympathies in this matter.

The girls knew what they were getting into and even went as far as posting on Facebook to say they might not be coming back. Reality is a bitch when it gets real.

collidgedosser, when are you flying to Lima to visit your sister?

greenflash wrote: »
    Why should an Irish drug smuggler get preferential treatment over mules of other nationalities? Are you only making a case for the Irish girl whilst the Scot can rot? What about similarly aged smugglers from various nations awaiting death sentences in other parts of the world? I feel extremely sorry for the Reid and McCollum/Connolly families for having idiot daughters and that's the limit of my sympathies in this matter.

The girls knew what they were getting into and even went as far as posting on Facebook to say they might not be coming back. Reality is a bitch when it gets real.

To be honest with you those close by in my own country would be more of a concern than those outside it. Those girls got caught doing something that is very illegal but in the end of the day nobody is dead, nobody was raped, nobody was robbed of a massive sum of money. Theyre going to spend longer in jail for that than people do in ireland for manslaughter and theyre going to do it locked up with out visitors and will be reliant on a priest for support. They will and already have paid very dearly for what they have done , and they stood to gain so little for taking that risk.
    Pick away all you like looking for holes in my logic, im sure theyre there, all I know is I would like to see her home soon because her being away is a big sentence on her family aswell.
    Abou that FB post are you saying Michaella wrote that? On her wall or someone elses ? Did you see that yourself or did someone tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

Mules are in essence the ones responsible for drugs crossing borders, the drug dealers/lords can only control the narcotics up until the airport entrance. Everything after that is the responsibility of drug mules.
    I don't agree with laughing at the fund raising appeal but I reckon it stokes the embers of irritation in some people. There are more just causes in the world with more dire consequences and to have a fundraising appeal for a person who knowingly committed a crime seems a touch ludicrous.
    The 'reality' is that in the eyes of this girls family and friends (you included we are all assuming), she is an innocent/naive angel. In the eyes of the onlooking public who know little about her, she (like her acottish pal) knowingly committed a crime and attempted to deceive the Peruvian judiciary through systematic lies.
    I can understand her family being upset, but shouldn't they look to place the blame more at the daughter/sister/cousin who pissed of to Peru and worried them to the point they put out international missing person alerts while she was knowingly on a drug mule holiday to earn herself some money. Who should the family be angrier at? Her or the general public who are horrified at her behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Totally spot on. Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Instead of being crucified by taxes and stealth taxes, adding up to almost two weeks wages out of every 4 weeks worked, I as an Irish tax payer , do not want to pay More taxes and costs for their prison upkeep, security and freeloading in Ireland. I frankly would Much rather that her friends & family fundraise amongst themselves and people that do care for them to fly to visit her in prison in the country in which she did her crime - smuggling class A drugs to the value if 1.3 million .

No doubt if her friends and family had done a better job in keeping her in the straight & narrow when she was growing up she and they would be in a better place now than in a prison in Peru. From what we read drugs, criminals & thugs seem to have been a long term way of life for her, and illegally carrying 1.3 million of drugs across international borders was something they were both prepared to do. Hardly classy, hardly good moral values at play there. No fear of the law, or their families reactions, not the outcomes for their families - until they were caught of course.

Like everything else in this country , it seems that the attitude is you can do and take or have what you want, and someone else will pick up the tab for you.

I'd Much rather my taxes went to provide heat and food for the elderly, suicide support, hospice care for the dying, home care for the disabled, mental health support , proper wages for firemen who risk death daily to rescue people and are paid a pittance , etc than to pay for cushy lodgings, education, menu choices for meals & massive civil service salaries for Irish prison gaurds - not to mention the social welfare payments to them as prisoners in the Irish system. Why should I pay for that, for them?

It's about time ALL that stopped .

No entitlements. Do the time when convicted, and do it in Peru.

To be honest with you those close by in my own country would be more of a concern than those outside it. Those girls got caught doing something that is very illegal but in the end of the day nobody is dead, nobody was raped, nobody was robbed of a massive sum of money. Theyre going to spend longer in jail for that than people do in ireland for manslaughter and theyre going to do it locked up with out visitors and will be reliant on a priest for support. They will and already have paid very dearly for what they have done , and they stood to gain so little for taking that risk.
    Pick away all you like looking for holes in my logic, im sure theyre there, all I know is I would like to see her home soon because her being away is a big sentence on her family aswell.
    Abou that FB post are you saying Michaella wrote that? On her wall or someone elses ? Did you see that yourself or did someone tell you?

The FB post was in an article at the time the story broke. Not sure which girl wrote it but it was definitely reported before their accounts were sanitised.

I know two people who have done serious time for drug smuggling. One got seven years in Ireland and the other served ten years in France. No one campaigned for their repatriation or attempted to raise funds for them and their families. It was accepted that the crimes they committed warranted the punishments they received. It's a bit of an insult to Peru and society as a whole to expect these girls to receive leniency based on their nationality and age.

LorMal wrote: »
    Totally spot on. Well said.

G'night John Boy.

Mules are in essence the ones responsible for drugs crossing borders, the drug dealers/lords can only control the narcotics up until the airport entrance. Everything after that is the responsibility of drug mules.
    I don't agree with laughing at the fund raising appeal but I reckon it stokes the embers of irritation in some people. There are more just causes in the world with more dire consequences and to have a fundraising appeal for a person who knowingly committed a crime seems a touch ludicrous.
    The 'reality' is that in the eyes of this girls family and friends (you included we are all assuming), she is an innocent/naive angel. In the eyes of the onlooking public who know little about her, she (like her acottish pal) knowingly committed a crime and attempted to deceive the Peruvian judiciary through systematic lies.
    I can understand her family being upset, but shouldn't they look to place the blame more at the daughter/sister/cousin who pissed of to Peru and worried them to the point they put out international missing person alerts while she was knowingly on a drug mule holiday to earn herself some money. Who should the family be angrier at? Her or the general public who are horrified at her behaviour?

Actually in essence its the drug lord, as they are the ones who commision the operation, finance it , buy the drugs and organise all aspects, how could you ever come to the conclusion its a lowly mule! The reality in my eyes of her was that she was no angel! but yes naive. I think its obvious that her family would be aware of the societies outlook on drugs, however you and the other posters here might also be aware of socities outlook on nasty hurtful unnecessary comments also.
    All I was ever saying on this thread was about the comments!

• Advertisement

The FB post was in an article at the time the story broke. Not sure which girl wrote it but it was definitely reported before their accounts were sanitised.

I know two people who have done serious time for drug smuggling. One got seven years in Ireland and the other served ten years in France. No one campaigned for their repatriation or attempted to raise funds for them and their families. It was accepted that the crimes they committed warranted the punishments they received. It's a bit of an insult to Peru and society as a whole to expect these girls to receive leniency based on their nationality and age.

The age more so and i believe age is one of the biggest factors in dispensing leniency everywhere

Actually in essence its the drug lord, as they are the ones who commision the operation, finance it , buy the drugs and organise all aspects, how could you ever come to the conclusion its a lowly mule! The reality in my eyes of her was that she was no angel! but yes naive. I think its obvious that her family would be aware of the societies outlook on drugs, however you and the other posters here might also be aware of socities outlook on nasty hurtful unnecessary comments also.
    All I was ever saying on this thread was about the comments!

Mules have a choice. As I've said before in this thread, there are no repercussions if they say no to those making the offer. It's all about making more money in a couple of weeks than they ever could from a summer of chatting up blokes outside Ibiza's clubs.

It must take a special kind of stupid to act as a drug mule. Honestly, what rational person would even consider it?

It must take a special kind of stupid to act as a drug mule. Honestly, what rational person would even consider it?

Greedy, spoiled, naive people who think it's "easy money" so the party can continue.

An article in which paper? and as far as i remember Michaellas acc wasnt exactly sanitised till weeks later when it was shut down, Actually now that I think of it suppose commenters on Boards.ie not as bad as the people discussing her on the comments section of her profile picture, this was truly disgusting

Greedy, spoiled, naive people who think it's "easy money" so the party can continue.

Doubt you could call her spoiled, and greedy is stretching it aswell seen as she had little, looking for easy money , yes probably

Doubt you could call her spoiled, and greedy is stretching it aswell seen as she had little, looking for easy money , yes probably

You seem very well informed about her circumstances alright.

Oh and you owe me an answer...
    Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Oh dear.. just got this PM - entitled "what do you do":
    Im having a good laugh at your probing attempts here,. you were asking those question like a cop. Im wonder if youre a journalist or else just a really really nosey person. Ill tell you if you tell me what you do for a living

No need to be pestering me by PM mate.. I work in IT and have said so on Boards previously.

Now, would you like to answer my question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

People with serious debts or from poor backgrounds. The majority of mules caught are usually from poor backgrounds. They don't tend to make the news like this pair.

Just to be clear I am no relation to the McCollums to end any speculation in case some clown of a journalist writes an article, which is very very possible with those assholes

Just to be clear I am no relation to the McCollums to end any speculation in case some clown of a journalist writes an article, which is very very possible with those assholes

Then what is your vested interest in the case?

• Advertisement
Advertisement