Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

which prison are they being moved to - santa monica or ancon 2? If it's the latter, it actually doesn't sound too bad - not like anything I would have imagined for a Peruvian prison...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/peru-two-moved-to-larger-women-s-prison-1.1560118
    Described as “a model prison for low security prisoners”, Ancón 2 is made up of four holding areas or “mini-prisons”. Jose Luis Perez Guadalupe, President of the prison service (INPE) considers it “a flag ship prison”.
    It is one of the most modern prisons in the country and currently has 1,600 inmates.
    Prisoners have the option to study pre or post university courses or take workshops such as cookery, hairdressing or beauty therapy.

The prison director César Bocanegra said the jail has 14 sociologists, six lawyers, six nurses and a nutritionist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

which prison are they being moved to - santa monica or ancon 2? If it's the latter, it actually doesn't sound too bad - not like anything I would have imagined for a Peruvian prison...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/peru-two-moved-to-larger-women-s-prison-1.1560118

It's still south america...however the airheads can consider themselves lucky they're not banged up in Venezuala...or Thailand.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Drumorig

This post has been deleted.
    That's just shocking, you would think they would include some drama from facebook :rolleyes:

Looks like they could have given up some of thier friends!:eek:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/pal-peru-cocaine-mules-melissa-2339817
    • By Martin Fricker

Pal of Peru cocaine mules Melissa Reid and Michaella McCollum arrested in major drugs bust on party island Ibiza

5 Oct 2013 09:36 CHELSEA Greaves, 20, her dad and uncle were among 15 people held in dawn raids last weekend. Cops seized more than 2000 meth pills as well as cocaine and ecstasy.

Michaella-McCollum-Connolly-and-Melissa-Reid-listen-to-Peruvian-Judge-Dilo-Huaman-2204227.jpg Michaella McCollum Connolly and Melissa Reid AFP

A FRIEND of Peru cocaine mules Melissa Reid and Michaella McCollum has been arrested in a major drugs bust on party island Ibiza.
    Chelsea Greaves, 20, her dad Vincent Robinson and uncle Peter Robinson were among 15 people – including seven Brits – held in dawn raids last weekend.
    Spanish cops seized more than 2000 meth pills as well as cocaine and ecstasy.
    Ibiza’s Guardia Civil insist the raids are not connected to the Peru case but a relative in Greaves’s home town of Nottingham disagreed.
    They said: “The cops stormed into the flat and took them away.
    “They claim to have found drugs but nobody has seen the evidence. Chelsea knew the Peru girls.
    “She was friends with them from working there in the summer. We think it might be connected.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Came to their senses at last then.

• Advertisement

Came to their senses at last then.

Too little,too late...the peruvians are looking to smash a spanish smuggling ring and those two idiots just don't know the big players.

They should never have made up that story about an armed gang from columbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

chopper6 wrote: »
    Too little,too late...the peruvians are looking to smash a spanish smuggling ring and those two idiots just don't know the big players.

They should never have made up that story about an armed gang from columbia.

How do you know this? Or is it a guess or conjecture or fantasy?
    Are you saying that you knew all along that the Peruvians were trying to "smash" a Spanish drug gang and couldn't have even started their intelligence and investigations without these two?

Please give us more of your dopey predictions/theories Poirot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Mona Pizza is the only poster who makes me wish we had a * thumbs down* button ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

MOD

MonaPizza banned again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

are there any updates on what is happening with these two? All I can find is 'news' that one of their mothers will be visiting them shortly. But what about the case - where does it stand at the moment? Do they have a deadline for giving more info on the drugs gang to the court, or is the whole thing just hanging in limbo now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

are there any updates on what is happening with these two? All I can find is 'news' that one of their mothers will be visiting them shortly. But what about the case - where does it stand at the moment? Do they have a deadline for giving more info on the drugs gang to the court, or is the whole thing just hanging in limbo now?

It's been so long i can't properly remember. But i think they have a court appearance in January.
    They pleaded guilty, but apparently did so just to get a lighter sentence. The Peruvian legal system aren't stupid and wanted them to give them some information in return for the lighter sentence.

I think the court hearing in January is to determine the length of the sentence. So they (should) will have to give up any information they may have, before then, to get a lighter sentence.

If i'm wrong in any of the above, i apologise, i'm going off memory. No doubt someone else will correct me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Jaysus, I had forgotten all about these 2. How could I forget them and the Northern Irish perry mason? Lol.

I'm sure when they set off from dungannon and Scotland they were seeking something different and exciting. They certainly found it. Be careful what you wish for is very apt in their case.

Matlock dropped them in it good an proper.

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/news/prosecutors-announce-peru-duo-likely-to-receive-shorter-jail-terms#.UqYfYHyhtrU.facebook

Prosecutors announce Peru duo likely to avoid trial and receive shorter jail terms
    PROSECUTORS have announced they are ready to strike a deal with the Peru Two and pave the way for the drugs pair to receive shortened jail sentences.

Melissa Reid and Michaella McCollum had their hopes of a deal dashed in September after state prosecutors rejected their guilty pleas and demanded they gave more information.

But a new prosecutor tasked with their case has told the judge who was due to try them he is happy with amplified statements they made in October.

The U-turn means Melissa and Michaella, both 20, are now expected to benefit from an early termination process whereby drugs mules are spared a trial and automatically receive a sixth off a minimum eight-year sentence.

The pair were told late last week a sentencing hearing would take place tomorrow.

But their hopes of an end to the uncertainty of how long they face in a hellhole Peruvian jail were crushed today when they were informed the hearing had been cancelled because of a judicial strike.

A new date for the hearing has yet to be set.

Officials said they could offer no guarantee it will now take place before Christmas.

Chief prosecutor Gustavo Carvajal, who took over the Peru Two's case from predecessor Juan Mendoza In October, confirmed: "We have submitted our report to the judge in charge of the case and state in that report we are happy for Melissa and Michaella to benefit from the early termination process.

"We have taken that decision after careful analysis of the case.

"The sentence the women receive is a decision for the judge. The minimum sentence for drugs trafficking is eight years and the maximum 15.

"There is provision under Peruvian law for a reduced sentence but it is by no means a foregone conclusion in this case.

"It will all depend on the outcome of the sentencing hearing.

"We had expected the hearing to take place this week were it not for the ongoing judicial strike."

A spokesman for the court in the Lima neighbourhood of Callao tasked with the womens' case added: "I can confirm the sentencing hearing was due to take place on Tuesday December 10.

"The reading of the sentence has been postponed due to an ongoing judges' strike.

"A new date will be announced as and when we know it."

Melissa, from Lenzie near Glasgow, and Michaella, from Dungannon, northern Ireland, have been languishing in jail since their arrests in August.

They were stopped with more than 11 kilos of cocaine in their suitcases as they tried to board a flight from Lima to Spain.

They protested their innocence for weeks after their arrests - before finally coming clean and admitting they knew they were carrying cocaine. They have continued to claim they were coerced into smuggling the drugs by armed criminals they say kidnapped them in Ibiza where they were working over the summer.

Melissa's mum Debbie visited her daughter for the first time in prison last month.

She revealed after the emotional visit the girls have to endure a military-style regime at Virgen de Fatima Prison in a rundown Lima suburb, where they share a cell with 38 other prisoners and cold showers and dawn wake-up calls are the norm.

Melissa and Michaella are hoping that if accepted within the early termination process, they will receive prison sentences of six years and eight months each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Six years and eight months probably seems like an eternity to them. They'll be missing many of the most enjoyable years of their lives, well at least they were for me. Any shorter sentence is a bit of a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Montroseee wrote: »
    Six years and eight months probably seems like an eternity to them. They'll be missing many of the most enjoyable years of their lives, well at least they were for me. Any shorter sentence is a bit of a joke at this stage.

That might be their sentence, but they would be expected to only serve a third of that. Roughly 2 and a half years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Montroseee wrote: »

Given the publicity I make you right on the estimation on the length of sentence but I reckon 2 years would be enough to get the point across to the two kids

Given the publicity I make you right on the estimation on the length of sentence but I reckon 2 years would be enough to get the point across to the two kids

I dont agree.

The profits from that amount of coke could be very large indeed...a harsh sentence is necessary to stop other morons like them trying it on thinking "sure what's the worst if we get caught? Two years..its worth the risk".

And "young kids" they may be but they're old enough to know better and if you get mixed up in international drug smuggling you should be aware that there will be consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I dont agree.

The profits from that amount of coke could be very large indeed...a harsh sentence is necessary to stop other morons like them trying it on thinking "sure what's the worst if we get caught? Two years..its worth the risk".

And "young kids" they may be but they're old enough to know better and if you get mixed up in international drug smuggling you should be aware that there will be consequences.

I agree with you. On a personal level, I think 2 years is enough of a punishment for these stupid girls and their mothers. But looking at it objectively, the risk of 2 years inside would be no deterrent to people considering doing the run. To serve as a deterrent it would have to be a hell of a lot longer than that

• Advertisement

I agree with you. On a personal level, I think 2 years is enough of a punishment for these stupid girls and their mothers. But looking at it objectively, the risk of 2 years inside would be no deterrent to people considering doing the run. To serve as a deterrent it would have to be a hell of a lot longer than that

Indeed and also you have to see it from the Peruvian's perpspetive...because of teh media interest in this case they can't have an explosion in drug smuggling europeans that will try thier luck if those two get a light sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Two years..its worth the risk".

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You could die in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Honestly, I think they have already been through enough... These are not seasoned drug dealers... these are two young adults and its likely their first time in front of the court... not even a local court... a foreign court. The stress of going to court for non payment of a tv license or for no NCT in your district court in Ireland would probably be enough to scare anyone straight for the rest of their lives. Now imagine for something massive like being a drug mule in a foreign country. It is unlikely they did their research prior to carrying the drugs. Then hearing they could get 20 years in prison, in a country so far away that they would never get visits from their family. I would say I would quite possibly be suicidal after an ordeal. I know some people would say - "make an example of them". This will definitely be a summer they never forget. You know those moments in your life where you think... "If only I had made a different decision"... this will forever be that moment for them. The people who use cocaine in Ireland on the weekends recreationally are as much to blame for the industry as these girl.

Anyway, I don't approve of what they have done but I think they would unlikely ever do something like that again. And they will be suffering the consequences of that one decision for the rest of their lives

1) faces all over tabloid press - people everywhere know who they are
    2) the local curtain twitchers will be gossiping about them forever
    3) the children they will have in the future will be burdened with the stigma of what their parents did - in school and in the community
    4) they can forget about emmigrating to international countries to work - Australia, USA, Canada
    5) they can forget about ever working for any multinational that does background checks

.... I am sure there are plenty more but cannot think of any of them.

What I mean is that when they leave prison, that will be the end of one consequence of their actions...

and I doubt any other silly teenagers will consider all the consequences when they decide to strap a kilo of cocaine to themselves in an attempt to make a quick buck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Indeed and also you have to see it from the Peruvian's perpspetive...because of teh media interest in this case they can't have an explosion in drug smuggling europeans that will try thier luck if those two get a light sentence.
    i think if anything the media interest has shown the young people of the uk/ireland that mule-ing is a very stupid thing to do...they should do the two years and and then f** off out of our sight (after the late late show appearance)

nm wrote: »
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You could die in there.

Stupidist thing you've "ever" heard,yeah?

How often to westerners and particularly Brits die in Peruvian prisons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Honestly, I think they have already been through enough... These are not seasoned drug dealers... these are two young adults and its likely their first time in front of the court... not even a local court... a foreign court. The stress of going to court for non payment of a tv license or for no NCT in your district court in Ireland would probably be enough to scare anyone straight for the rest of their lives. Now imagine for something massive like being a drug mule in a foreign country. It is unlikely they did their research prior to carrying the drugs. Then hearing they could get 20 years in prison, in a country so far away that they would never get visits from their family. I would say I would quite possibly be suicidal after an ordeal. I know some people would say - "make an example of them". This will definitely be a summer they never forget. You know those moments in your life where you think... "If only I had made a different decision"... this will forever be that moment for them. The people who use cocaine in Ireland on the weekends recreationally are as much to blame for the industry as these girl.

Anyway, I don't approve of what they have done but I think they would unlikely ever do something like that again. And they will be suffering the consequences of that one decision for the rest of their lives

3) the children they will have in the future will be burdened with the stigma of what their parents did - in school and in the community
    4) they can forget about emmigrating to international countries to work - Australia, USA, Canada
    5) they can forget about ever working for any multinational that does background checks

What I mean is that when they leave prison, that will be the end of one consequence of their actions...

and I doubt any other silly teenagers will consider all the consequences when they decide to strap a kilo of cocaine to themselves in an attempt to make a quick buck...

you do realise the coke kills, just like at Katie French and Gerry Ryan.
    if they were 2 lads from north Dublin or Nigeria would you feel the same, or is it that they are 2 pretty white girls that you feel this way

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

awwhh boo-hoo the poor wee darlings. :rolleyes: personally want to see them stew there for years. they are scum pure and simple

ted1 wrote: »
    if they were 2 lads from north Dublin or Nigeria would you feel the same, or is it that they are 2 pretty white girls that you feel this way

A LOT of the coke being landed in spain is being turned into crack as well...there's a huge problem with it at the moment and it's getting worse....so don't think it's only cocaine,it's rich man's drug....crack has astronomical profits,is far more affordable and destroys people much faster than heroin.

Yes I know coke kills hence why I said recreational drug users on the weekends are just as much to blame. Both Katie French and Gerry Ryan and 100s more like them are victims of an industry that they helped promote... Nobody force fed Katie French and Gerry Ryan and anyone else to take drugs.

Fair enough, they were addicts, so they couldn't help themselves but they weren't blameless. Just like if an alcoholic dies from cirrhosis of the liver. He is responsible for his actions and has to live/die with the consequences.

Addiction is a tricky subject and is not the title of this thread and I don't want to derail this thread. But in my honest opinion both alcohol and cocaine kill. One industry is legalized and regulated the other is not. Happy enough to continue this discussion in another thread. I think it is an interesting topic. You cant just cherry pick Katie French and Gerry Ryan because they died from ingestion of cocaine. What about Oliver Reed - alcoholic. You would do well to consider it in a wider context. Addiction leads to death - be it alcohol, cocaine, food, smoking... anyway not for this thread but definitely worth further discussion, but on another thread.

But, to answer your question, yes I am aware that cocaine use kills... And yes I imagine that young men (and women) from the north side of any county or country would also find it stressful.

Is that fair enough now, are you happy to believe that I am not biased towards young white girls who become drug mules?

• Advertisement

Is that fair enough now, are you happy to believe that I am not biased towards young white girls who become drug mules?

Not to worry Emma, the 'PC thought police' are always on duty, lol ;)

Making an example has worked wonders in the Wests war on drugs , a couple more and we should have the war won.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Making an example has worked wonders in the Wests war on drugs , a couple more and we should have the war won.

It won't win the war but it will keep a few tramps locked up for six years

Santa Cruz wrote: »

So smuggling coke makes a woman a tramp, sort of ruins the effect of calling a woman a tramp.

Anyway locking these two up for six years is not going to make the price of Coke go up , so is of bugger all use .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

So smuggling coke makes a woman a tramp, sort of ruins the effect of calling a woman a tramp.
    no it makes them a shining example to all :rolleyes: Another two who Alan Huges, would be correct in referring to as stupid bitches...

Anyway locking these two up for six years is not going to make the price of Coke go up , so is of bugger all use .

Well it's six years that they won't be doing any smuggling....who's to say where they would have stopped if they'd gotten away with it.

• Advertisement

Well it's six years that they won't be doing any smuggling....who's to say where they would have stopped if they'd gotten away with it.

Minority Report comes to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Santa Cruz wrote: »

Meanwhile Mr. Big rolls in a bed of cash while phoning his next mule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I dont agree.

a waste of time chopper, if your going to criminalise something like coke then expect it to be traded via criminal gangs, 6 years for these 2 won't stop people taking the risk, the death penalty won't stop people taking the risk, nothing will stop people taking the risk

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

cigarettes kill, alcohol can kill, if you become addicted to purscriptian drugs or other medical drugs that could also kill you, so you have no argument, theirs a demand for these drugs, me or you don't choose to be part of that demand but the fact is others will, and if you are willing to criminalise them, then expect criminal gangs to sell them with all sorts mixed in, and expect money to be wasted jailing the likes of these 2 girls yet the cycle will continue

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

How long have they been locked up now?

That's punishment enough in my view, kick them out and send them back home.

Waste of everyone's time and money messing around with them.

• Advertisement

How long have they been locked up now?

That's punishment enough in my view, kick them out and send them back home.

Waste of everyone's time and money messing around with them.
    Is this a troll? This will happen when hell freezes over and rightly so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

What good does it do keeping them locked up?

Holsten wrote: »

Makes the daily Mail readers feel really good, as they are winning the war on drugs, or is that the wrong use of good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is nonense, roughly less then 1% of the coke is smuggled by people via airports. These 2 had 11k's so for example, 1.5 tonnes washed up in Cork in 07 followed by them finding another 1.7 tonnes a year later.

6 years won't do anything, 2 is plenty.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Is this a troll? This will happen when hell freezes over and rightly so!
    yeah, better to throw money down the drain and refuse to admit that you've lost a war which was never winnable in the first place, and keep deluding yourself and keep deluding the populous and giving them false hope that one day the war would be won when really everybody knows different, great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Holsten wrote: »

Does this logic apply to all criminals everywhere? Or could you supply a list of crimes/types of people to whom the law shouldn't apply.

It is hardly costing them a lot to keep them locked up.
    exactly, I doubt the life in prison in peru, is the holiday camp that it is here... Give them 3-4 years on top of what they have already served...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Idbatterim wrote: »
    exactly, I doubt the life in prison in peru, is the holiday camp that it is here... Give them 3-4 years on top of what they have already served...

Holiday camp? Really?

Personally I think serving a sentence over there is disproportionate to the crime committed. They should be allowed serve a decent portion of it in an Irish or English prison (or wherever exactly they're from).

• Advertisement
Advertisement